The Problems of Perpetual Belief Alone Salvation-ism.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many Christians today believe in Perpetual Belief Alone Salvation-ism.
They think that all you need is a belief alone in Jesus as the Savior and your good to go to enter Heaven.

While we are first saved by God's grace through faith (belief) without works in our Initial Salvation, faith does not remain as a belief alone.

Problem #1. - It ignores tons of warnings given to us on sin, and being fruitful in the Bible.
Problem #2. - It teaches that obedience to enter God's Kingdom is bad.
Problem #3. - There is no consistent standard of morality.
Problem #4. - It's a purely man made doctrine that attempts to call those who do good as bad, and those who do bad as being good.
Problem #5. - Believing a set of facts alone while persisting to disobey God does not really change you.
Problem #6. - Jesus came to save us from our sins, and not to just pay the penalty for our sin.
Problem #7. - It's the wide gate path (“Protestantism / Belief Alone-ism” is the second largest branch of Christianity in the world, with 800 million to 1 billion adherents).
Problem #8. - It is a lack of faith in what God's Word says involving God's instructions for our life.
Problem #9. - It's a religion of self or with one being their own god vs. making God (Jesus) the Lord of their life.
Problem #10. - The Bible actually warns against those who believe this way.
Problem #11. - It glorifies sin and darkness.
Problem #12. - It ignores the true purpose of grace. For Titus 2:11-12 says God's grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world. Also, see Ephesians 5:25-27.

Side Note:

Yes, Paul taught that we must believe in Jesus and His grace, and in the gospel in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, but this was not Perpetual Belief Alone-ism with the exclusion of living holy afterwards. Paul taught Temporal Belief Alone-ism only in our Initial Salvation when we are first saved by God’s grace. Being saved by God’s grace in our Initial Salvation is not a process of salvation based on anything major we did whereby we can glory in own efforts. After a person is first saved by God’s grace by a belief alone in the Savior, they must enter the Sanctification of the Holy Spirit to live holy afterwards as a part of God’s plan of salvation.

Side Note 2:

The word “perpetual” in the context I am using it is defined as “unending.”

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many Christians today believe in in Perpetual Belief Alone Salvation-ism.
They think that all you need is a belief alone in Jesus as the Savior and your good to go to enter Heaven.

While we are first saved by God's grace through faith (belief) without works in our Initial Salvation, faith does not remain as a belief alone.

Initial Salvation

Scriptural quote?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken I know: "not of works, lest any man should boast..." (Ephesians 2.9)............ :)
Amen! From beginning "have been saved through faith" (Ephesians 2:8) to end "receiving the end of your faith--the salvation of your souls" (1 Peter 1:9) salvation is by grace through faith and is not by works. (Ephesians 2:8,9) Sadly, many "professing" Christians today believe in either type 1 works salvation or type 2 works salvation or both and desire to boast in themselves and look down on others. They think belief (faith, trust, reliance) in Jesus Christ alone for salvation (John 3:15,16,18; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18 etc..) is IN-sufficient to save which means they think the OBJECT of our belief (Jesus Christ and His finished work of redemption) is IN-sufficient to save us. Such people believe they must "add" their works, performance, self righteousness, sinless perfection etc.. to Christ's finished work of redemption in order to "help" Christ save them. Yet Christ's finished work of redemption is sufficient and complete to save believers. (Romans 3:24-28) No supplements needed.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scriptural quote?

Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:2-5, Titus 3:5, Romans 11:6 are dealing with Initial Salvation if you were to read the context of those chapters. We did nothing worthy of any merit on our part to be grafted on to the vine. But once we are grafted on to the vine, or we were drafted onto God's team, we then have to obey our Master (i.e. the Lord Jesus) as a part of remaining on the team or as a part of remaining attached to the vine.

Jesus says,

“I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.” (John 15:5-6).​

“And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 25:30).​

John the baptist says,

“And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.” (John 3:10).​

James says,

“Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.” (James 2:17).

“You see that a man is justified by works, and not by faith alone.” (James 2:24) (BLB).

“Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.” (James 1:12).​

Today, doing good for salvation after being saved by God's grace is mocked even though the Bible teaches it.

The apostle Paul says,

“Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:22).

“...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: Whereunto he called you by our gospel,...” (2 Thessalonians 2:13-14).

“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” (Romans 8:13).

“But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.” (1 Corinthians 9:27).​

Jesus says,

“And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.” (John 5:29).

“Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” (Matthew 7:22-23).​

The Bible's last chapter states:

“Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.” (Revelation 22:14-15).

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Wynona

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! From beginning "have been saved through faith" (Ephesians 2:8) to end "receiving the end of your faith--the salvation of your souls" (1 Peter 1:9) salvation is by grace through faith and is not by works. (Ephesians 2:8,9) Sadly, many "professing" Christians today believe in either type 1 works salvation or type 2 works salvation or both and desire to boast in themselves and look down on others. They think belief (faith, trust, reliance) in Jesus Christ alone for salvation (John 3:15,16,18; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18 etc..) is IN-sufficient to save which means they think the OBJECT of our belief (Jesus Christ and His finished work of redemption) is IN-sufficient to save us. Such people believe they must "add" their works, performance, self righteousness, sinless perfection etc.. to Christ's finished work of redemption in order to "help" Christ save them. Yet Christ's finished work of redemption is sufficient and complete to save believers. (Romans 3:24-28) No supplements needed.

Nowhere does the Bible say to trust in the finished work of redemption. That is a Protestant saying. Protestants number in the high millions and thus they are not of the narrow path or way. They are the second largest branch of Christianity in the world. Jesus said narrow is the way that leads unto life and FEW be there that find it (Matthew 7:14).

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken I know: "not of works, lest any man should boast..." (Ephesians 2.9)............ :)

Ephesians 2:8-9 is dealing with Initial Salvation.
For how many times have you been quickened or made alive? (See: Ephesians 2:1).
Just one time, right?
How many times do you receive a gift? (See: Ephesians 2:8).
Just one time, right?

Reactions: Nancy and Wynona

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From beginning "have been saved through faith" (Ephesians 2:8) to end "receiving the end of your faith--the salvation of your souls" (1 Peter 1:9) salvation is by grace through faith and is not by works.

Here are the parts you ignore, corrupt, or are willingly ignorant of:

“If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away…” (Colossians 1:23)

“…if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:22)

“…give diligence to make your calling and election sure…” (2 Peter 1:10)

“…they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.” (Hebrews 6:6)

“…these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.” (Luke 8:13)

“…God shall wound the… hairy scalp of such an one as goeth on still in his trespasses.” (Psalms 68:21)

“Take heed …unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt …save thyself.” (1 Timothy 4:16)

“…If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;” (John 8:31)

They think belief (faith, trust, reliance) in Jesus Christ alone for salvation (John 3:15,16,18; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18 etc..) is IN-sufficient to save

Misrepresentation as a result of your false conclusion in regards to those who expose the doctrine of Once Saved Always Saved.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many Christians today believe in in Perpetual Belief Alone Salvation-ism.

Problem #1. - It ignores tons of warnings given to us on sin, and being fruitful in the Bible.
Problem #2. - It teaches that obedience to enter God's Kingdom is bad.
Problem #3. - There is no consistent standard of morality.
Problem #4. - It's a purely man made doctrine that attempts to call those who do good as bad, and those who do bad as being good.
Problem #5. - Believing a set of facts alone does not really change you.
Problem #6. - Jesus came to save us from our sins, and not to just pay the penalty for our sin.
Problem #7. - It's the wide gate path (“Protestantism / Belief Alone-ism” is the second largest denomination in the world, with 800 million to 1 billion adherents).
Problem #8. - It is a lack of faith in what God's Word says involving God's instructions for our life.
Problem #9. - It's a religion of self or with one being their own god vs. making God (Jesus) the Lord of their life.
Problem #10. - The Bible actually warns against those who believe this way.
Problem #11. - It glorifies sin and darkness.
Problem #12. - It ignores the true purpose of grace. For Titus 2:11-12 says God's grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world. Also, see Ephesians 5:25-27.

Only someone who has no knowledge of our sanctification could write such a thing!

The same faith that saves us is the same faith that keeps us saved!

You are trying to DO it yourself, when you should have the faith that He will do it through you.

It's all about faith, BH! Just giving up of your own abilities and giving Him the control, "dying to self."

If you don't do that, you're not going to make it.

That is where your faith is proven, by surrendering to the will of Christ, if you don't, that faith is artificial.

That is what Paul calls "walking in the Spirit." Denying your own abilities to live for Christ (walking in the flesh) and depending on the Holy Spirit to carry out your sanctification by faith (walking in the Spirit).

Rom. 8:13

"For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live."

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen

He who began a good work WILL (not might) complete it

By one offering he perfected FOREVER (Not initially) those who are being sanctified

Jesus said they WILL (not might), never die

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here are the parts you ignore, corrupt, or are willingly ignorant of:

“If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away…” (Colossians 1:23)

“…if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:22)

“…give diligence to make your calling and election sure…” (2 Peter 1:10)

“…they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.” (Hebrews 6:6)

“…these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.” (Luke 8:13)

“…God shall wound the… hairy scalp of such an one as goeth on still in his trespasses.” (Psalms 68:21)

“Take heed …unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt …save thyself.” (1 Timothy 4:16)

Misrepresentation as a result of your false conclusion in regards to those who expose the doctrine of Once Saved Always Saved.
hey brother

There is too much I in your post.

Anytime you see or use the work or speaking of self. You are taking glory away from God. and trying to take it for yourself. God will nto share his glory with you my friend.

Your washed by the blood. Not by your works.

if it is grace, it is no longer works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.

Works cancel out grace. it can only be one or the other. It can not be both..

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And not do this:

“trodden under foot the Son of God…” (Hebrews 10:29)

You are trying to DO it yourself, when you should have the faith that He will do it through you.

“Who” is doing these things:

“Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth…” (Colossians 3:5)

That’s YOU, not God.

Just giving up of your own abilities and giving Him the control, "dying to self."

So then why do you still sin if He’s controlling you like a remote control car???

You make no sense at all.

"For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live."

“Ye” is YOU!

You are doing these things!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only someone who has no knowledge of our sanctification could write such a thing!

It's all about faith, BH! Just giving up of your own abilities and giving Him the control, "dying to self."

If you don't do that, you're not going to make it.

That is where your faith is proven, by surrendering to the will of Christ, if you don't, that faith is artificial.

That is what Paul calls "walking in the Spirit." Denying your own abilities to live for Christ (walking in the flesh) and depending on the Holy Spirit to carry out your sanctification by faith (walking in the Spirit).

What you say is false.
While God can do the good work through us, it involves our free will cooperation.

Work out your salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12).

We are told:

“...We are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end.” (Hebrews 3:13-14).

"Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." (Jude 1:21).

"...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life." (Revelation 2:10).​

We are told to:

1. Continue in the grace of God (Acts of the Apostles 13:43).

2. Continue in the faith (Acts of the Apostles 14:22) (Colossians 1:23).

3. Continue in his goodness, otherwise we can be cut off (just like the Jews were cut off) (Romans 11:21-22).

As for Romans 8:13:

Not sure how you can actually believe this verse. It is talking to believers and it includes two IF words in relation to what course of action you want to take in life. Meaning, you are not forced to be a certain way.

Course of action #1. - If you live after the flesh (sin) you will die.
Course of action #2. - If you put to death the misdeeds of the body (sin) by the Spirit, you will live.

This of course is referring to spiritual death, and spiritual life. For Paul in context is talking about salvation.

This is why your belief is untenable. You have to keep twisting the pain meaning of many Scripture verses to make your belief fit or work.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

IF, IF, IF...Gives wiggle room to a Believer who is NOT Sav-ED.

Those IF, IF, IF’s are “continuing conditions” That apply to a Living Believer.

When are “THOSE Continuing Conditions” for a Believer FINISHED?

Those IF, IF, IF, “conditions” are “FINISHED” “IF” those conditions are MET continuing to the DAY THAT PERSON “DIES”!

AFTER the person “DIES”, IS there “A SINGLE Scripture” that REQUIRES that DEAD person to CONTINUE MEETING THOSE Conditions?

IF NOT, WHY NOT?

AND, What is that individuals “THEN condition” for having met those “if, if, if,” Conditions to the Day he Died?

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Those IF, IF, IF, “conditions” are “FINISHED” “IF” those conditions are MET continuing to the DAY THAT PERSON “DIES”!

AFTER the person “DIES”, IS there “A SINGLE Scripture” that REQUIRES that DEAD person to CONTINUE MEETING THOSE Conditions?

IF NOT, WHY NOT?

AND, What is that individuals “THEN condition” for having met those “if, if, if,” Conditions to the Day he Died?

The problem is that Paul is not writing to unbelievers. He is writing to believers.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anytime you see or use the work or speaking of self. You are taking glory away from God.

Nonsense. What you need to concern yourself with is turning His glory into shame:

“O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing? Selah. But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him. Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.” (Psalms 4:2-4)

Your washed by the blood. Not by your works.

So don’t defile your garments after the Lord washes you:

“Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy. He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.” (Revelation 3:4-5)

Works cancel out grace. it can only be one or the other. It can not be both..

They both work together. You just don’t understand how they work together looking at the big picture.

New believers get Grace without works.

Old believers maintain grace by their works through suffering:

“…My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.” (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)

This works hand in hand to defeat sin:

“Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.” (1 Peter 4:1-2)

Can you handle this strong meat?

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you say is false.
While God can do the good work through us, it involves our free will cooperation.

Work out your salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12).

We are told:

“...We are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end.” (Hebrews 3:13-14).

"Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." (Jude 1:21).

"...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life." (Revelation 2:10).​

We are told to:

1. Continue in the grace of God (Acts of the Apostles 13:43).

2. Continue in the faith (Acts of the Apostles 14:22) (Colossians 1:23).

3. Continue in his goodness, otherwise we can be cut off (just like the Jews were cut off) (Romans 11:21-22).

As for Romans 8:13:

Not sure how you can actually believe this verse. It is talking to believers and it includes two IF words in relation to what course of action you want to take in life. Meaning, you are not forced to be a certain way.

Course of action #1. - If you live after the flesh (sin) you will die.
Course of action #2. - If you put to death the misdeeds of the body (sin) by the Spirit, you will live.

This of course is referring to spiritual death, and spiritual life. For Paul in context is talking about salvation.

This is why your belief is untenable. You have to keep twisting the pain meaning of many Scripture verses to make your belief fit or work.

OK, BH, have it your way. Drive on with your faith in "self" and Christ and see where it gets you.

But I will show you again where Paul took Rom. 8:13 from.

Luke 9:23

" And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me."

"Denying self" is denying the self ability to DO of yourself.

"Take up the Cross daily" is taking faith in what Christ did on that Cross for us."

Luke 9:24

" For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it."

"whosoever will save his life" is the one who will do it his way and not surrender to the Holy Spirit.

"whosoever will lose his life for my sake" is the one who will deny his ability and surrenders totally to the Holy Spirit allowing Him to carry out our sanctification through us.

Paul took Rom. 8:13 from the words of Christ Himself.

Just one more thing and I will leave you alone.

This is the bottom line to the words of Christ and Paul.

Rom. 8:14

"For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God."

Your OP is not teaching us to be led by the Spirit of God!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

IF NOT, WHY NOT?

I attempted to use too much brain power to decipher your post

upload_2022-8-1_11-4-50.jpeg