The Proper Order Of Salvation Grace and Works

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Riverwalker

Apr 20, 2021
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many people argue that Paul and James are at odds with each other when it comes to salvation by grace and works. I disagree. I believe they are both saying the same thing, from different directions

Ephesians 2: 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

James 2:14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

Paul is not saying that we do not need to do works, He clearly says we are saved to do works

James is not saying faith alone does not save. He is saying that DEAD faith does not save.

They are BOTH saying that a Heart that is made new in a LIVING will find itself doing those good works. As naturally as an apple tree produces apples.

Salvation First, by grace (unmerited favor of God) THROUGH Faith. Not or works, but saved to them

If you are trying to earn your way into heaven, IF you are living in the fear of damnation for a life not good enough to please the Lord...then you are wasting the most precious gift God ever gave you.

LIBERTY in living a saved life, not in the hopes of earning something, but because the Lord loves you and you love the Lord.

John 8:
32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

33 They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say, ‘You will be made free’?”

34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

Don't spend your life in fear trying to earn what has already been given to you. Live your life as a child of God, doing His will, not for reward or fear of punishment, But because you are His.