The reason scourging is preferable to goading.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
It was just revealed to me that in the realm of morals, it is better to scourge than to goad. In fact, scourging is not just allowed, but perhaps even condoned. It is only goading that is not permitted.

At first glance this didn't seem to make any sense, but after some consideration I can now see how this may be the case. Goading is annoying and insulting. If it is intended to be annoying or insulting then this is all the more reason to disallow it. If it were unintentional, it would seem to me that it would warrant either forgiveness, or at the very least to "turn the other cheek". However, this isn't the case in some Christian circles. At this point, I'm not sure why this would be.

Scourging, or ripping flesh is a completely different situation in that there is nothing annoying about it. It is complete and total excruciating pain; one doesn't have time to experience mere annoyance. It is an insult to the nerve endings on one's flesh, but these don't warrant notice. The purpose is not to annoy, but to destroy, and in our modern world this is looked at as a type of humor (think hitting your "funny bone"). Thus it is accepted in society, and Christianity has followed suit.

However, I suspect that this is a one way street. In other words, it is better to scourge than to be scourged. Scourging others is acceptable, but being scourged is forbidden, especially by the orthodoxy.

Let's see if my hunch is correct. Let's look at the definition, but paying special attention to the origin of the word sarcasm.

"sarcasm:NOUN
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt:
"his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"

ORIGIN
mid 16th cent.: from French sarcasme, or via late Latin from late Greek sarkasmos, from Greek sarkazein ‘tear flesh,’ in late Greek ‘gnash the teeth, speak bitterly’ (from sarx, sark- ‘flesh’)."

So what we're dealing with here is a word that literally means to "tear flesh". We see "sark" in words like sarcophagus which refers to a coffin as if it were eating the body.. The suffix "kasmos" is where we get words like "cosmos" and "chasm"; a big hole or tear.

So does this makes sense? Is it better to tear down and destroy rather than to annoyingly goad?

As an example let's take just one of many examples of Christian rules of conduct, paying special attention to the last line:

"No Flaming, Goading or Harassment
All members should be treated with the utmost respect and courtesy at all times following the rules of civil discourse, this includes heated debate discussions
No insults are allowed.
Included in this are all forms of flaming, harassment, and trolling/goading as determined at the discretion of the Christianity Board Team. Trolling/Goading is defined as repeated attempts through the use of images, cartoons, smileys or text that is designed to be explicitly demeaning, patronizing, embarrassing, or otherwise upsetting to a member or group of members in the community.
This further includes making false statements or accusations about a member.
Sarcasm is not included under this rule."

Fortunately for me, this post is a prime example of sarcasm; perhaps even tearing to the bone.