The Righteousness of Christ is not a Coat that Covers Sin.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

The righteousness of Christ is not a coat that covers unconfessed and unforsaken sin: it is a principle of life that is daily received by faith that transforms the character from the inside out, and controls the conduct and behavioural patterns and habits or addictions of all men and women who hunger and thirst after righteousness. Justification is that legal pardon which frees us from condemnation. Sanctification is that process by which we are freed from sin itself. The result is holiness. (Romans 6:17-22; Ephesians 1:4; 1 Thess.4:7; Leviticus 20:7; Hebrews 12:14; 1 Thess. 5:23,24; 2 Cor.7:1.)
The gospel is not a lifeless theory. It is not just forgiveness of sin. It is not just a "get out of jail free" card. The gospel is a living mighty force that radically changes lives. Those who testify to the gospel, must also testify to its power. (2 Peter 1:3; Phil.1:9-11; Hebrews 12:1,2.)

With all the mighty creative life-giving transforming power of God promised and at our disposal, what excuse is there for any Christian to continue in sin?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
With all the mighty creative life-giving transforming power of God promised and at our disposal, what excuse is there for any Christian to continue in sin?
We have no excuse. There can only be an unwillingness because of ones love for sin or our weakness yet even in that weakness God offers us strength. For myself I have learn't that God's strength cannot be bottled. Its like air, I need to take each breath as it's needed one breath at a time. We all know what happens if we refuse that.

Reactions: brakelite

Heb 13:8

Nov 2, 2016
USA
The righteousness of Christ is not a coat that covers unconfessed and unforsaken sin: it is a principle of life that is daily received by faith that transforms the character from the inside out, and controls the conduct and behavioural patterns and habits or addictions of all men and women who hunger and thirst after righteousness.

And righteousness is something that is not earned to keep your salvation secure, it is a gift that is applied through the finished work of the cross.

Rom 5:17 For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ!

Justification is that legal pardon which frees us from condemnation.

That it is, Rom 10:9-10. We are justified at the cross only through belief.

Sanctification is that process by which we are freed from sin itself. The result is holiness. (Romans 6:17-22; Ephesians 1:4; 1 Thess.4:7; Leviticus 20:7; Hebrews 12:14; 1 Thess. 5:23,24; 2 Cor.7:1.)

Which is a life time process, and even then we will never become perfection until we receive our glorified bodies.

It is not just a "get out of jail free" card.

Well, to the religious yes because they're still imprisoned by their sins. 1 Cor 15:17

It is not just forgiveness of sin.

Tell that to the thief on the cross.

Those who testify to the gospel, must also testify to its power. (2 Peter 1:3; Phil.1:9-11; Hebrews 12:1,2.)

and that's what we testify too, that God's power keeps us saved, not us or any work we do.

Believers don't "continue" in sin. We repent because of Godly sorrow, less you've decided to be the accuser of the brethren? Rom 8:33, Rev 12:10... NON-OSAS Spirit?

God bless

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The righteousness of Christ is not a coat that covers unconfessed and unforsaken sin
The imputed righteousness of Christ is the *robe of righteousness* placed upon the guilty sinner who comes to Christ with repentance and faith. Which means that God sees the guilty sinner as perfectly righteous in Christ, and who is therefore justified -- declared righteous. But that is just the beginning.

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world (Titus 2:11,12).

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Philip, I'm bringing encouragement to believers, not condemning them by telling them to obey or they will go to hell. Peace.

Seems to me, rather, you were condemning them for obeying...

If that is not what you meant by

Well, to the religious yes because they're still imprisoned by their sins

Then I apologize and please clarify

Peace!

Nov 2, 2016
USA
Seems to me, rather, you were condemning them for obeying...

If that is not what you meant by

Well, to the religious yes because they're still imprisoned by their sins

Then I apologize and please clarify

Peace!

Well, if you read 1 Cor 15:12-19 in context you will see that eternal security is not based on works or religion, it's rather based on if Jesus rose from the dead or not.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, if you read 1 Cor 15:12-19 in context you will see that eternal security is not based on works or religion, it's rather based on if Jesus rose from the dead or not.

We belive Jesus rose from the dead. Our 'religion' would be worthless if HE did not. Indeed we would be the most pitiable of men.

Peace

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Excuse for sin is love for sin. What you hide from men and the clever ways men justify themselves counts for nothing with God. Who are you kidding but yourself when you try and turn Gods Words to suit your egos and your carnal disposition. The scripture says we will all give account of ourselves to God. It is God's Law that will judge us, it is the measure of sin. If this is not sobering, if this doesn't straighten you up, if you think you understand imputed righteousness and use it as a cover for indulging the carnal nature then you haven't understood anything and it is high time you examined yourself honestly.
Are you capable of that?

Reactions: brakelite
B

brakelite

The Lord will perfect what concerns me. {Ps 138:8 }

Most obviously the confidence which the psalmist here expressed was a divine confidence. He did not say, “I have grace enough to perfect what concerns me — my faith is so steady that it will not stagger — my love is so warm that it will never grow cold — my resolution is so firm that nothing can move it”; no, his dependence was on the Lord alone. If we indulge in any confidence which is not firmly resting on the Rock of Ages, our confidence is worse than a dream, it will fall on us, and cover us with its ruins, to our sorrow and confusion. All that nature spins time will unravel, to the eternal confusion of all who are clothed in it. The psalmist was wise, he rested on nothing short of the Lord’s work. It is the Lord who has begun the good work within us; it is he who has carried it on; and if he does not finish it, it never will be complete. If there is one stitch in the celestial garment of our righteousness which we are to insert ourselves, then we are lost; but this is our confidence, the Lord who began will perfect. He has done it all, must do it all, and will do it all. Our confidence must not be in what we have done, nor in what we have resolved to do, but entirely in what the Lord will do. Unbelief insinuates, “You will never be able to stand. Look at the evil of your heart, you can never conquer sin; remember the sinful pleasures and temptations of the world that come on you, you will be certainly allured by them and led astray.” Oh! yes, we would indeed perish if left to our own strength. If we had to navigate our frail vessels alone over so rough a sea, we might well give up the voyage in despair; but, thanks be to God, he will perfect what concerns us, and bring us to the desired haven. We can never be too confident when we confide in him alone, and never too much concerned to have such a trust.

The above commentary comprised my morning devotion today, written by Charles Spurgeon. It referencedalso 2Ch 19:1-20:37 The passage in Chronicles is one of the most uplifting and encouraging passages of OT scripture. It reveals that in those battles of life that we must face, particularly those in which we have no power or strength to fight, such as that battle over sin, the battle is the Lord's. He promises us victory. This is not just a positional victory where our victory is merely imputed unto us...a victory recorded in heaven while on earth the Midianites and Edomites walk all over us, no. This is a practical experiential victory where we must leave our comfort zones, and face the enemy head-on. Our confidence is not in our own strength or power, nor in our own righteousness. The result also is not our righteousness. But it is a righteousness in which we have been clothed and arrayed...a righteousness that reflects true glory and light and joy. And it is as we step out in faith; as we by fronting up to the enemy with confidence and faith in a God who cannot lie...a God who promises to fight our battles for us...then victory is assured.

The Levites did not challenge Jehosaphat by charging him with legalism. They did not make remarks such as "Oh, so you think you are perfect do you?", or comments such as "Your righteousness is like filthy rags, you will never win this battle until you are in heaven". No, God's promise, and Israel's confidence was for victory today. So much so that after the battle, all Israel needed to do was pick up the spoils.

Nov 2, 2016
USA
The Lord will perfect what concerns me. {Ps 138:8 }

Most obviously the confidence which the psalmist here expressed was a divine confidence. He did not say, “I have grace enough to perfect what concerns me — my faith is so steady that it will not stagger — my love is so warm that it will never grow cold — my resolution is so firm that nothing can move it”; no, his dependence was on the Lord alone. If we indulge in any confidence which is not firmly resting on the Rock of Ages, our confidence is worse than a dream, it will fall on us, and cover us with its ruins, to our sorrow and confusion. All that nature spins time will unravel, to the eternal confusion of all who are clothed in it. The psalmist was wise, he rested on nothing short of the Lord’s work. It is the Lord who has begun the good work within us; it is he who has carried it on; and if he does not finish it, it never will be complete. If there is one stitch in the celestial garment of our righteousness which we are to insert ourselves, then we are lost; but this is our confidence, the Lord who began will perfect. He has done it all, must do it all, and will do it all. Our confidence must not be in what we have done, nor in what we have resolved to do, but entirely in what the Lord will do. Unbelief insinuates, “You will never be able to stand. Look at the evil of your heart, you can never conquer sin; remember the sinful pleasures and temptations of the world that come on you, you will be certainly allured by them and led astray.” Oh! yes, we would indeed perish if left to our own strength. If we had to navigate our frail vessels alone over so rough a sea, we might well give up the voyage in despair; but, thanks be to God, he will perfect what concerns us, and bring us to the desired haven. We can never be too confident when we confide in him alone, and never too much concerned to have such a trust.

The above commentary comprised my morning devotion today, written by Charles Spurgeon. It referencedalso 2Ch 19:1-20:37 The passage in Chronicles is one of the most uplifting and encouraging passages of OT scripture. It reveals that in those battles of life that we must face, particularly those in which we have no power or strength to fight, such as that battle over sin, the battle is the Lord's. He promises us victory. This is not just a positional victory where our victory is merely imputed unto us...a victory recorded in heaven while on earth the Midianites and Edomites walk all over us, no. This is a practical experiential victory where we must leave our comfort zones, and face the enemy head-on. Our confidence is not in our own strength or power, nor in our own righteousness. The result also is not our righteousness. But it is a righteousness in which we have been clothed and arrayed...a righteousness that reflects true glory and light and joy. And it is as we step out in faith; as we by fronting up to the enemy with confidence and faith in a God who cannot lie...a God who promises to fight our battles for us...then victory is assured.

The Levites did not challenge Jehosaphat by charging him with legalism. They did not make remarks such as "Oh, so you think you are perfect do you?", or comments such as "Your righteousness is like filthy rags, you will never win this battle until you are in heaven". No, God's promise, and Israel's confidence was for victory today. So much so that after the battle, all Israel needed to do was pick up the spoils.

Well, fortunately for believers in Christ we don't rely on what man thinks confidence is, our confidence is in the finished work of the cross.

Rom 8:38-39 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Phl 1:6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

1 John 5:9-14 We accept human testimony, but God’s testimony is greater because it is the testimony of God, which he has given about his Son. 10Whoever believes in the Son of God accepts this testimony. Whoever does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because they have not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. 11And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. 14This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

God bless

Reactions: quietthinker

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, fortunately for believers in Christ we don't rely on what man thinks confidence is, our confidence is in the finished work of the cross.

Rom 8:38-39 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Phl 1:6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

1 John 5:9-14 We accept human testimony, but God’s testimony is greater because it is the testimony of God, which he has given about his Son. 10Whoever believes in the Son of God accepts this testimony. Whoever does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because they have not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. 11And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. 14This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

God bless
We say the work of the cross is finished but what do we mean by that? When Jesus said 'it is finished' this needs qualification. Qualifying is not for purposes of argument but rather to understand how the dots join and don't we all want to know and see the picture God is putting out there accurately or do we have exceptions amongst us?

Nov 2, 2016
USA
We say the work of the cross is finished but what do we mean by that? When Jesus said 'it is finished' this needs qualification. Qualifying is not for purposes of argument but rather to understand how the dots join and don't we all want to know and see the picture God is putting out there accurately or do we have exceptions amongst us?

It means it is finished, Jesus Christ paid the sin penalty. It is up to us to accept the free gift, yet so many deny the testimony of believers.

1 Jhn 5:9-14 We accept human testimony, but God’s testimony is greater because it is the testimony of God, which he has given about his Son. 10Whoever believes in the Son of God accepts this testimony. Whoever does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because they have not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. 11And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. 14This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

God bless

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It means it is finished, Jesus Christ paid the sin penalty. It is up to us to accept the free gift, yet so many deny the testimony of believers.

1 Jhn 5:9-14 We accept human testimony, but God’s testimony is greater because it is the testimony of God, which he has given about his Son. 10Whoever believes in the Son of God accepts this testimony. Whoever does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because they have not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. 11And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. 14This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

God bless
Yes, I understand Heb 13:8. What I'm actually asking is (and this is not to be flippant but rather to draw the question out) is he finished with washing my socks or with yesterdays meal or with loving the Romans , yes, what is it that is finished because sin is still alive and well on planet earth and death is all around us. Sooo, I am asking that we take another look at what it is that is finished, not to come up with some new interpretation but rather to deepen and broaden what we have.

Nov 2, 2016
USA
yes, what is it that is finished because sin is still alive and well on planet earth and death is all around us.

His work and His will for the Father. ;)

Jhn 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

1 Cor 15:56-57 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Nov 2, 2016
USA
Careful now... That sounds remarkably like development of doctrine ;)

Peace!

1Ti 4:16 Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

Tit 1:9 He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.

Tit 2:1 You, however, must teach what is appropriate to sound doctrine.

Reactions: Philip James
B

brakelite

Believers don't "continue" in sin.
I agree. Wholeheartedly, for righteousness, obedience to God's commandments, comes by faith. Therefore if anyone does continue to sin would it be fair to say that such a state is the result of unbelief?