The Righteousness of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is a very misunderstood topic. The righteousness of God has been lowered into something far less than miraculous and divine in our time. But let's give ourselves a chance to get things right.

I would like to begin by listing a few examples of the righteousness of God in action...from the bible.(I hope others will contribute as well)

Ananias and Sapphira lost their lives to the Spirit because they lied to God...how?

By the righteousness of God. No one laid a finger on them. God judged them according to His righteousness and holiness.

It is crucial to understand the scale of things and be able to understand comparisons...in order to understand the things of God.

For instance....God hides Himself as well as many things about Himself...from the wicked, the proud and the self-interested. But He reveals them to babes...the humble...the merciful and the diligent. This is according to righteousness. HIS righteousness.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The righteousness of God is a higher form of righteousness to the righteousness of men. They are related...but one is weak and the other is strong. One is temporal and the other is eternal.

But let's not be deceived. If you are faithful in little then you are also faithful in much.

So then it takes learning about His righteousness to be able to be righteous ourselves IN IT.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
His righteousness is a gift to us. But it is also a responsibility. His righteousness is the truth.

But we can hold onto His righteousness in unrighteousness.

We can hold on to the truth in unrighteousness.

Rom. 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

So then both His righteousness and ours become linked...although they are distinct.

It is like how faith works. Our faith backs up the Lord's faith. And His faith strengthens our own. So we walk hand in hand...in cooperation. (But miracles only happen by the faith OF Jesus Christ...not just faith in Jesus.)

So it is with righteousness.

So we need to go further with God...but without losing our responsibility in it. We are meant to walk WITH God.

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The righteousness of God is a higher form of righteousness to the righteousness of men. They are related...but one is weak and the other is strong. One is temporal and the other is eternal.

But let's not be deceived. If you are faithful in little then you are also faithful in much.

So then it takes learning about His righteousness to be able to be righteous ourselves IN IT.

hoping to contribute as you stated above...while I'm learning of Him and holding out for His exclusive.
Is our righteousness what we can do apart from "without Me you can do nothing?"

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see the need to understand the scale and comparison of things in order to understand the things of God, especially to understand the higher form of righteousness...HIS righteousness.
"God hides Himself as well as many things about Himself...but reveals them to the diligent...This is according to righteousness. HIS righteousness."

While reading the OP, the word diligent jumped out at me along with 'responsibility'.
KJV Dictionary: Steady application in business of any kind; constant effort to accomplish what is undertaken; exertion of body or mind without unnecessary delay or sloth; due attention; industry; assiduity.

Gathering from these scriptures and many others, God values being diligent.

God rewards they that (earnestly) diligently seek Him. Heb11:6
Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them; absorbed in them that thy profiting may appear to all. 1Tim4:15
And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence so as to realize the full assurance of hope until the end…Heb 6:12
...or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness. Rom12:8
Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless. 2Peter3:14
Brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure. 2Peter1:2
The thoughts of the diligent tend only to plenteousness. Proverbs 21:5

Last edited:
Reactions: Episkopos

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the thread, The Righteous and The Righteousness of God:
If we can't understand righteousness on the human level...how will we ever understand what God's righteousness means?
So then our righteousness (yellow)is...doing the right thing with what we have been given. It is in a human capacity. (temporal/weak/power of flesh)
But His righteousness (blue) is Christ working His ways through us. It never becomes ours. It is always His. We are just the vessels that contain His holiness. No one can do things on that level...unless Christ is behind it. These are the impossible works that originate from heaven. (miraculous/divine/eternal/strong/power of God)
As Christians, we need to seek the Lord to become carriers and ambassadors of HIS righteousness. (The blue colour)
When the two are mixed=iniquity (green)
So then mixing righteousnesses (ours and God's) is a great evil...that has dire consequences...as IT DESTROYS BOTH our own righteousness AND God's.
So then both His righteousness and ours become linked...although they are distinct.
We need to see God's righteousness in contrast to our own....just like we won't understand His power unless we understand our own limitations.
As with sanctification...there are 2 kinds of righteousness...one is a gift (God's righteousness) and the other is learned through a maturing process (our own righteousness).
The righteousness of God is IN holiness. But righteousness itself is not holiness.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
From the thread, The Righteous and The Righteousness of God:
If we can't understand righteousness on the human level...how will we ever understand what God's righteousness means?
So then our righteousness (yellow)is...doing the right thing with what we have been given. It is in a human capacity. (temporal/weak/power of flesh)
But His righteousness (blue) is Christ working His ways through us. It never becomes ours. It is always His. We are just the vessels that contain His holiness. No one can do things on that level...unless Christ is behind it. These are the impossible works that originate from heaven. (miraculous/divine/eternal/strong/power of God)
As Christians, we need to seek the Lord to become carriers and ambassadors of HIS righteousness. (The blue colour)
When the two are mixed=iniquity (green)
So then mixing righteousnesses (ours and God's) is a great evil...that has dire consequences...as IT DESTROYS BOTH our own righteousness AND God's.
We need to see God's righteousness in contrast to our own....just like we won't understand His power unless we understand our own limitations.
As with sanctification...there are 2 kinds of righteousness...one is a gift (God's righteousness) and the other is learned through a maturing process (our own righteousness).
The righteousness of God is IN holiness. But righteousness itself is not holiness.

Basically...yes! :)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Let's look at the parable of the talents.(Mat. 25)

If we see the talent (grace) as God's righteousness to us....as a gift of grace...then we also need to grow ourselves into a maturity in righteousness. So we are being conformed to the character of Christ in this way. So we make a new talent with His talent. Or...we learn to be righteous through His life....and His righteousness working through us. We become "dyed in the wool" in this way.

Those who think that there is nothing to add to God's grace will bury their potential (talent) and remain as immature as when they were first called and given that initial grace. They continue to act as they always have and consider grace as something that they can keep for themselves.

But the talent is God's (HIS righteousness)...and He will take it back....leaving what we have done with it as OUR inheritance.

So then His righteousness cultivates a righteousness in us...that becomes our own...the righteousness of saints. THIS is the wedding garment.

Last edited:
Reactions: faithfulness

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's look at the parable of the talents.(Mat. 25)

If we see the talent (grace) as God's righteousness to us....as a gift of grace...then we also need to grow ourselves into a maturity in righteousness. So we are being conformed to the character of Christ in this way.

Those who think that there is nothing to add to God's grace will bury their potential (talent) and remain as immature as when they were first called and given that initial grace.

But the talent is God's (HIS righteousness)...and He will take it back....leaving what we have done with it as OUR inheritance.

So then His righteousness cultivates a righteousness in us...that becomes our own...the righteousness of saints. THIS is the wedding garment.
wow. ty.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
2 Corinthians 5:21 "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."

It can be understood that we have been given the righteousness of God...or that we contain it in our spirits. But BECOMING the righteousness of God? How so?

In the same way we are to BE the light in the world.

So then we are to BE the righteousness of God in the world. To be as He is in the world.

So that...

1 John 4 :17 By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world.

Are we really like Him in the world? Does the modern church know Christ in that way? Have very many at all entered into Christ? Have we known the righteousness of God?

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see these two types of righteousness in this way.

His righteousness is Christ living His life in us and through us (Galatians 2:20) and it is practical in our lives (1 John 3:7).

Our righteousness, I would define as that which comes from who we have become through sanctification. I identify it as the fruit of the Spirit being borne by us (Galatians 5:22-23). This latter thing, while it may indeed be inherent in our new natures, is yet His righteousness, in that it is fruit that is borne because we are drawing up nourishment from the vine; and that nourishment (sap) represents the Holy Spirit and the word of the Lord. It becomes infused into who we are as people, so that it is our righteousness...yet it is His righteousness in that it is completely from Him.

Because if our righteousness does not come from Him, it is as filthy rags (menstrual flow)...Isaiah 64:6.

Reactions: Waiting on him

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Episkopos said:
Let's look at the parable of the talents. (Mat. 25)
  • If we see the talent (grace) as God's righteousness to us....as a gift of grace
  • then we also need to grow ourselves into a maturity in righteousness
  • So we are being conformed to the character of Christ in this way
  • So we make a new talent with His talent
Or...we learn to be righteous through His life....and His righteousness working through us.

We become "dyed in the wool" in this way.

Those who think that there is nothing to add to God's grace will bury their potential (talent) and remain as immature as when they were first called and given that initial grace. They continue to act as they always have and consider grace as something that they can keep for themselves.

But the talent is God's (HIS righteousness)…and He will take it back....leaving what we have done with it as OUR inheritance.
So then His righteousness cultivates a righteousness in us...that becomes our own...the righteousness of saints.
THIS is the wedding garment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and Episkopos

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If we see the talent (grace) as God's righteousness to us...
That would be a TOTAL misapplication of the parable of the talents. In the parable, the talents were gold or silver bullion (Gk talenton = a weight worth about $1000).

Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury [interest].

Those talents represents (1) wealth given to Christians, (2) talents or natural abilities, (3) spiritual gifts, (4) opportunities for ministry and service. In brief stewardship given to every Christian.

They are NOT about salvation but about service.

Reactions: Helen

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That would be a TOTAL misapplication of the parable of the talents. In the parable, the talents were gold or silver bullion (Gk talenton = a weight worth about $1000).

Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury [interest].

Those talents represents (1) wealth given to Christians, (2) talents or natural abilities, (3) spiritual gifts, (4) opportunities for ministry and service. In brief stewardship given to every Christian.

They are NOT about salvation but about service.

Again you seek to diminish what is of God...so that the carnal man can seem to obtain it....which of course he can't.

A talent is worth about 20 years of wages. A small fortune. This represents the investment that God has given us by grace. It is of a high value. What we do with that determines whether we will receive a reward....or suffer loss (be rejected) at the Bema seat judgment.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Let's look at the parable of the talents. (Mat. 25)
  • If we see the talent (grace) as God's righteousness to us....as a gift of grace
  • then we also need to grow ourselves into a maturity in righteousness
  • So we are being conformed to the character of Christ in this way
  • So we make a new talent with His talent
Or...we learn to be righteous through His life....and His righteousness working through us.

We become "dyed in the wool" in this way.

But the talent is God's (HIS righteousness)…and He will take it back....leaving what we have done with it as OUR inheritance.
So then His righteousness cultivates a righteousness in us...that becomes our own...the righteousness of saints.
THIS is the wedding garment.

Good post...but whatever the Yellow colour is...I can't read it...but I have to guess at it.. :)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good post...but whatever the Yellow colour is...I can't read it...but I have to guess at it.. :)

I used a gold colour to represent the yellow... :) Easier on the seeing gear.

It says "righteousness" and it represents the kind of character that God approves of. Things like humility, mercy, kindness and the like.

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used a gold colour to represent the yellow... :) Easier on the seeing gear.

It says "righteousness" and it represents the kind of character that God approves of. Things like humility, mercy, kindness and the like.
How's that look? I changed the yellow to gold. :)

Last edited: