The Sabbath Day and Jesus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In another thread this was the discussion I though deserved its own thread.

@justbyfaith made some unbiblical claims against Jesus below in response to Watersong.

@WaterSong said

Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath. Mark 2: 27-28 If anyone had a right to "work" on Sabbath day it was he.
In doing this he demonstrated doing the work of God did not violate Sabbath.

@justbyfaith responds below:

That's right, He did not violate the spirit of the sabbath day laws; although He did violate the letter.

That is plain for all to see.

Exo 20:10, But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

Jhn 5:16, And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day.
Jhn 5:17, But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.
Jhn 5:18, Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

I consider that verse 18 is the estimation of the apostle under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

Again, Romans 7:6 is paramount to our understanding here.

As well as Hebrews 7:12 and context.

Jde 1:24, Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
2Pe 1:10, Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
1Jo 2:10, He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.

And here is my response to justbyfaiths unbiblical claims:

jbf has no idea of what the sabbath day means nor what work means in the commandments. Here are my top 10 reasons why below:

1- you shall not do any work- as in the same work of the other 6 days of the week
2- the Priest's " worked " in the temple on the sabbath
3- that day was a break for man from his work to devote to God
4- doing Gods work on that day is not a violation of the sabbath
5- Jesus healing the man was doing Gods work hence no violation.
6- turn your foot from the Sabbath, from doing your pleasure on My holy day, and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy day of the Lord honorable, and shall honor Him, not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor speaking your own words (Isaiah 58:13)
7- honoring and worshipping God on the sabbath is not a violation but indeed is a command which Jesus was obeying.
8- Jesus healing on the sabbath was fulfilled the Sabbaths design not breaking its command
9- Jesus answers His self righteous critics- "If a man receives circumcision on the Sabbath, so that the law of Moses should not be broken, are you angry with Me because I made a man completely well on the Sabbath? Do not judge according to appearance, but judge righteous judgment" (John 7:23-24).
10- This is how one should look at Scripture with understanding and proper exegesis understanding its context.

BTW- Jesus did not violate the letter of the law- He fulfilled the law perfectly down to the very letter of the law. To say otherwise is to accuse Jesus of sin just like the Pharisees who were religious hypocrites did numerous time to the Son of God. He is Holy and Perfect just like the Father which is why He said My Father is working and so am I working and I only say and do what I hear and see My Father saying and doing.

hope this helps !!!

All comments, thoughts appreciated by forum members. Thanks !

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're right that Jesus did not break the "letter of the Law." In "breaking the Sabbath," he was "breaking" it only in the eyes of his adversaries. He certainly was not breaking any law of God! He was deity in the flesh--he could not contradict himself!

The key, I believe, is in understanding that the Law was designed to apply to "sinners," and not to a perfect man. Jesus was a perfect man, as well as a divine man. The Law of Moses did not apply to him in the same way as it applied to sinners.

Sinners had to have coverings for their sins. They had to be purified. They had to be cleansed. They had to be atoned for. They had to confess their sins. They had to be forgiven their sins. All kinds of rules had to be placed upon them because they were vulnerable to sin, to mixing with pagan foreigners. They were tempted with being soft to sin. All kinds of rules had to be applied to Israel in their sin nature that would not apply to a sinless man like Jesus, or to a divine man like Jesus.

Jesus fulfilled the Law of Moses not as a sinner would, but only as a Redeemer would. The Law predicted the need for sinful Israel to be redeemed, and for a Redeemer to come to provide Israel's final redemption. Jesus played the role of Redeemer under the Law--not sinner!

So the Law didn't even apply to Jesus the same way it applied to sinful Israel. Sabbath Law didn't apply to him, even though he could live by it to model what their obedience should look like.

And certainly, as you suggest, limited kinds of work could even be done by sinful Israel under the Law, as Jesus suggested. Animals could be rescued. People could be healed.

Jesus' adversaries misapplied the Law to make Jesus appear guilty of sin, and utterly failed. They didn't know how to interpret the Law properly.

Keep in the mind that Jesus did not need animal sacrifices made for his sins--he didn't have any. He belonged to Israel, but he didn't belong to the category of "sinful Israel."

As such, the ceremonial Law did not apply to him at all, even though he followed it to give an example to Israel, and to become "like them to win them." His fulfillment of the Law consisted of both being an example to Israel and also fulfilling the role of Redeemer, to cleanse Israel permanently of their sins.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God said you don't work, not I don't work.
If he wanted to work in it, it was His day to do so.

People don't understand. The sabbath was a gift that God gave to man, when he brought them out of Egypt that worked their butts 24/7 365.
Moses asked Pharaoh, let the people rest. Pharaoh said to Moses, who do you think you are? I'll make them work harder,
When they came out of Egypt, God gave them His day, He sanctified and set aside for himself.

People think it's a burden to have a day off and spend with God exclusively..
He spent His day exclusively healing His people.

Stop with the law.
The sabbath is a gift.
Treat it like a law and it will be a burden to the one that breaks it.

The one that keeps it, it is a blessing.

That's where the deaf and dumb and blind and stupid went wrong.
They took a gift and turned it into a job.

STOP IT..

I ran out of soapbox..
:(
But I still have popcorn!!
:)
Hugs

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God said you don't work, not I don't work.
If he wanted to work in it, it was His day to do so.

People don't understand. The sabbath was a gift that God gave to man, when he brought them out of Egypt that worked their butts 24/7 365.
Moses asked Pharaoh, let the people rest. Pharaoh said to Moses, who do you think you are? I'll make them work harder,
When they came out of Egypt, God gave them His day, He sanctified and set aside for himself.

People think it's a burden to have a day off and spend with God exclusively..
He spent His day exclusively healing His people.

Stop with the law.
The sabbath is a gift.
Treat it like a law and it will be a burden to the one that breaks it.

The one that keeps it, it is a blessing.

That's where the deaf and dumb and blind and stupid went wrong.
They took a gift and turned it into a job.

STOP IT..

I ran out of soapbox..
:(
But I still have popcorn!!
:)
Hugs
:D:D

Reactions: ChristisGod

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God said, "thou shalt not do any work on the sabbath day" (Exodus 20:10)

Yet Jesus claimed to be working on the sabbath day. (John 5:16-18).

Now, either Jesus was lying, or else He was working on the sabbath day.

In denying this, you are removing one of the major scriptures by which we can prove the Deity of Christ.

Because if Jesus did not break the sabbath, as John 5:18 so clearly determines, then He also did not say that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.

Therefore the JW's, Christadelphians, and others who deny Christ's Deity will love your post, @Christophany...

Now, I am certainly not saying that Jesus did not have the right to violate the letter of the sabbath day laws because He was God.

Jesus is indeed the Lord of the sabbath...He redefined the sabbath so that it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days...and He also redefined it so that the sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath.

However, in the original estimation of the sabbath day law, it should be clear that it says that you shll not do any work on it...

Jesus said, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work; and that day was the sabbath.

There is no getting around the fact that Jesus worked on the sabbath day...and that this was a violation of the letter of the sabbath day laws (Exodus 20:10).

Paramount to our understanding, therefore, is Romans 7:6 and Hebrews 7:12 and context.

The Lord most definitely re-defined the sabbath day laws; and He had every right to do so because He is the Lord of the sabbath day.

Therefore He did not sin; even though He violated what was previously on the books as being the letter of the sabbath day laws.

MattMooradian

Apr 3, 2020
MUNSTER, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not about working at our jobs or doing chores around our homes, it's about entering God's rest. First, we must understand the sabbath as "entering God's rest", which some take to mean, 'entering Heaven (which is one meaning of this verse). To practice the sabbath every day, every moment of the day - this is the true sabbath. Entering God's rest means experiencing Heaven here on Earth. Therefore, practicing the sabbath every day means never working, every day of the week. We have a worldly view of 'work' and 'rest'. Picking fruit from a tree is not work (not breaking the sabbath) and it is work (breaking the sabbath). The difference is one of spirituality. If I toil while I pick fruit, I am breaking the sabbath, even if I do it on a Tuesday. If I am not toiling as I pick fruit, then I am not breaking the sabbath, even if I do it on a Saturday or Sunday. We will engage in behaviors that some consider to be 'work' when we enter Heaven. But, we will not toil over such 'work' in Heaven. Instead, work will be experienced as leisure in Heaven. The New Testament encourages us to enter that 'rest' today, thus practicing the sabbath every day. All of the discussion about Saturday and Sunday are a misunderstanding of scripture. All of the discussion about 'Jesus breaking the law' is a misunderstanding of everything written about the sabbath. It cannot be any clearer: "Every day is the sabbath"! Jesus said, "the kingdom of God is in the midst of you" (Luke). "Any one who enters God's rest has also rested from his own work" (Heb. 4:10). "For we which have believed, do enter God's rest" (Heb. 4:3). Entering God's rest is about belief, not about working on a particular day.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually the Sabbath was created before any laws.
God rested in it.
Now our idea of rest and God's idea of rest may be on two different highways.
But he showed the Hebrews exactly what he meant with the manna.
God worked twice as hard on the 6th day, providing for the 7th day,
so everyone could just relax. Don't worry, Be happy.. :)

When Jesus came, he brought rest to the people that were suffering. That was his work.
And it should be ours as well.
If we find someone suffering on any day, there is no day we should not be willing to give up our rest to help another find rest.
That's what Jesus did.

Hugs

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not about working at our jobs or doing chores around our homes, it's about entering God's rest. First, we must understand the sabbath as "entering God's rest", which some take to mean, 'entering Heaven (which is one meaning of this verse). To practice the sabbath every day, every moment of the day - this is the true sabbath. Entering God's rest means experiencing Heaven here on Earth. Therefore, practicing the sabbath every day means never working, every day of the week. We have a worldly view of 'work' and 'rest'. Picking fruit from a tree is not work (not breaking the sabbath) and it is work (breaking the sabbath). The difference is one of spirituality. If I toil while I pick fruit, I am breaking the sabbath, even if I do it on a Tuesday. If I am not toiling as I pick fruit, then I am not breaking the sabbath, even if I do it on a Saturday or Sunday. We will engage in behaviors that some consider to be 'work' when we enter Heaven. But, we will not toil over such 'work' in Heaven. Instead, work will be experienced as leisure in Heaven. The New Testament encourages us to enter that 'rest' today, thus practicing the sabbath every day. All of the discussion about Saturday and Sunday are a misunderstanding of scripture. All of the discussion about 'Jesus breaking the law' is a misunderstanding of everything written about the sabbath. It cannot be any clearer: "Every day is the sabbath"! Jesus said, "the kingdom of God is in the midst of you" (Luke). "Any one who enters God's rest has also rested from his own work" (Heb. 4:10). "For we which have believed, do enter God's rest" (Heb. 4:3). Entering God's rest is about belief, not about working on a particular day.
The world hates Seventh day Sabbath Keepers.. that's why I keep it.
It must have something special about it to make them other people just oppose it and willing to shut you down and kill ya even.
I understand that God gave it to His people as a sign of sanctification from the world.
It is a sign of who we are and whom we obey.
And if the world don't like it, it can.....
And it wasn't just for the Hebrews, half the population of Egypt went with them. And God shared it with all who followed him.
Oh that's that neither Jew nor Gentile...
it's been around way before Paul mentioned it..
people just forgot.. because they forgot the meaning for the day.
I wonder if people will just forget the DAY that is coming and wait for the first day instead..
that would be so sad :(

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes; you are speaking here of the spirit of what the sabbath laws teach us.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of the discussion about 'Jesus breaking the law' is a misunderstanding of everything written about the sabbath.
Please elaborate on what you mean by this.

I believe that the discussion at hand is to our edification in that it accentuates the truth that we find in Romans 7:6.

MattMooradian

Apr 3, 2020
MUNSTER, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the discussion at hand is to our edification in that it accentuates the truth that we find in Romans 7:6.

Please, remember, "not one iota shall pass from the law." We are no longer under the burden of the law, but we are to follow the spirit of the law. The spirit of the sabbath is manifold: separation from the world, the correct attitude toward our job and work in general, the Heavenly atmosphere here on Earth and in the future, etc.

Jesus did not break the law, He was upholding the spirit of the law. He was picking food to eat for Himself, on a Saturday. The Jews took it as 'breaking the law', But Jesus reminded them of the priest's working on the Sabbath (in other words, Jesus was not breaking the law). Why were the priests not breaking the law?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please, remember, "not one iota shall pass from the law." We are no longer under the burden of the law, but we are to follow the spirit of the law. The spirit of the sabbath is manifold: separation from the world, the correct attitude toward our job and work in general, the Heavenly atmosphere here on Earth and in the future, etc.

Jesus did not break the law, He was upholding the spirit of the law. He was picking food to eat for Himself, on a Saturday. The Jews took it as 'breaking the law', But Jesus reminded them of the priest's working on the Sabbath (in other words, Jesus was not breaking the law). Why were the priests not breaking the law?

And of course, in agreement with what you have just said (and showing that what you have said is in agreement), Romans 7:6 tells us that we are no longer bound by the letter but are to be obedient to the spirit of the law.

And I believe that this is in conjunction with our following the example of our Lord and Saviour (1 John 2:6).

Last edited:

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

ditto !

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In another thread this was the discussion I though deserved its own thread.

@justbyfaith made some unbiblical claims against Jesus below in response to Watersong.

@WaterSong said

Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath. Mark 2: 27-28 If anyone had a right to "work" on Sabbath day it was he.
In doing this he demonstrated doing the work of God did not violate Sabbath.

@justbyfaith responds below:

That's right, He did not violate the spirit of the sabbath day laws; although He did violate the letter.

That is plain for all to see.

Exo 20:10, But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

Jhn 5:16, And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day.
Jhn 5:17, But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.
Jhn 5:18, Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

I consider that verse 18 is the estimation of the apostle under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

Again, Romans 7:6 is paramount to our understanding here.

As well as Hebrews 7:12 and context.

Jde 1:24, Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
2Pe 1:10, Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
1Jo 2:10, He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.

And here is my response to justbyfaiths unbiblical claims:

jbf has no idea of what the sabbath day means nor what work means in the commandments. Here are my top 10 reasons why below:

1- you shall not do any work- as in the same work of the other 6 days of the week
2- the Priest's " worked " in the temple on the sabbath
3- that day was a break for man from his work to devote to God
4- doing Gods work on that day is not a violation of the sabbath
5- Jesus healing the man was doing Gods work hence no violation.
6- turn your foot from the Sabbath, from doing your pleasure on My holy day, and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy day of the Lord honorable, and shall honor Him, not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor speaking your own words (Isaiah 58:13)
7- honoring and worshipping God on the sabbath is not a violation but indeed is a command which Jesus was obeying.
8- Jesus healing on the sabbath was fulfilled the Sabbaths design not breaking its command
9- Jesus answers His self righteous critics- "If a man receives circumcision on the Sabbath, so that the law of Moses should not be broken, are you angry with Me because I made a man completely well on the Sabbath? Do not judge according to appearance, but judge righteous judgment" (John 7:23-24).
10- This is how one should look at Scripture with understanding and proper exegesis understanding its context.

BTW- Jesus did not violate the letter of the law- He fulfilled the law perfectly down to the very letter of the law. To say otherwise is to accuse Jesus of sin just like the Pharisees who were religious hypocrites did numerous time to the Son of God. He is Holy and Perfect just like the Father which is why He said My Father is working and so am I working and I only say and do what I hear and see My Father saying and doing.

hope this helps !!!

All comments, thoughts appreciated by forum members. Thanks !
With regard to the observation that understanding Romans 7:6 is paramount to understanding the Sabbath texts. I think this is where exegesis may often take a turn in that it may appear that Saul/Paul contradicts Jesus in many of his own writings. With regard to Romans 7:6 that may be said to be the case with regard to discussion concerning Sabbath observance. Which continued among the Apostles after Jesus ascended. Including the observance by Paul himself.
Romans 7:6 text, compared to Jesus who told his Apostles in John 14:15 "If you love me you will keep my commands."

When we read, the commands of God, we naturally think of the 10 commandments. Some traditions/denominations, teach the ten commandments no longer apply because they are of the Old Testament. However, if we recall the Sermon on the Mount, we'll remember the contrast that applies. The OT Ten were written in the negative; "Thou shalt not..." While the commands Jesus referred to in the Matthew 5 Sermon on the Mount were in the positive.
Sermon on the Mount Compare and Contrast

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact that we have been delivered from the law in no way means that we are not obedient to it as believers in Christ. It is written on our hearts and in our minds (Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 5:5).

However, we are no longer condemned over our violations of it; because we are forgiven of past, present, and future sins as believers (see Romans 4:8).

So then, our motivation for walking in holiness, is based in the fact that we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit, and not based in a fear of condemnation in the case that we would violate the law.

Again, we have a righteousness that is apart from the law that is nevertheless attested to by the law and the prophets (Romans 3:21), that it is righteousness indeed.

This is because there is no law that will condemn our behaviour if we walk according to the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23).

Thus, if we walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit, the righteousness of the law will be fulfilled in us (Romans 8:4).

Even as it is written, "Without holiness no one shall see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:14).

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Did you know that God's seal is embodied in the Sabbath Commandment?

Reactions: Ziggy