The Saving Faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God” Ephesians 2:8

The major essence of God’s gift of righteousness or justification is eternal salvation.

From scriptures, we understand that the major salvation of God through the Lord Jesus Christ is salvation from sin and its consequent punishment. Hence, even the very name of our Lord Jesus, means savior.

The bible tells us in Matthew 1:21:

And she shall bring forth a Son, and you shall call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins”.

Then again, the bible is also very clear that the only way to receive this eternal salvation from God through Jesus Christ is, Faith.

Let’s see some scriptures that assert this fact apart from our opening text:

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life”.

And he said unto them, go you into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be condemned”—Mark 16:15-16

And brought them out, and said Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved, and your house”—Acts 16:30-31.

But the question here is: what kind of faith or believe is the bible referring to, that gives this eternal salvation? To understand the kind of faith that is required for salvation, we need to examine two kinds of faith as presented by Saint James.

“Even so faith, if it has not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, you have faith, and I have works: show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that there is one God; you do well: the demons also believe, and tremble. But will you know O vain man, that faith without works is dead?” James 2:17-20

From the above scripture, Saint James helps us differentiate between two kinds of faith. These are: the demonic faith and the perfect faith.

The Demonic Faith

The demonic faith is the faith that believes in God, but regardless, is not submissive or obedient to God’s commandments. It is the faith that says Jesus is Lord, but does not treat him as Lord indeed. It is the faith that says Jesus is the Lord with the mouth but denies him in deeds.

The demonic faith is the faith without corresponding good works or actions. The demonic faith is a dead faith.

And unfortunately this kind of faith is what has become dominant in Christendom today. A greater percentage of Christ’s believers walk in this kind of faith. Yes, they believe and have even confessed Jesus as their Lord and personal savior.

They confess they are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. They even preach the gospel with all vigor. Most of them are involved in service groups in the church. They even include: Apostles, Prophets, Pastors, Teachers, Evangelists, Deacons and Deaconesses, Choir Masters and Mistresses.

But in spite of all these, they deny and reproach Christ in their actions and daily lifestyles.

They deny and reproach him in their words, in their dressing; they deny him in their relationship with their spouses and neighbours. They deny and reproach Christ in their business dealings. Yet they believe in Jesus and even profess same with their mouth. To the folks that belong to this group; with this kind of faith, the Lord Jesus asks: “And why call me, Lord, Lord; and do not the things which I say?”—Luke 6:46.

So to believe in Jesus and not do his commandments is to be walking in demonic and dead faith. And of course, this kind of faith doesn’t justify, neither does it give eternal salvation.

The Perfect Faith

Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his Son upon the altar? See how faith worked with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?”—James 2:21-22

The scripture above tells us clearly how our father in the faith, Abraham was justified. The scripture tells us that Abraham was justified by faith, but his faith was a perfect faith. His faith was perfected by his work of obedience and love for God.

Hence, we can define the perfect faith, to mean, the faith that is backed with obedience or compliance to God’s instructions. The perfect faith is the faith that works with the fear of God. For after Abraham has laid Isaac on the altar, the Lord said to Abraham, I know that you fear God (Genesis 22:12).

The perfect faith is the faith that works with love for God and people. James 2:15 says:

If a brother or sister be naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you say unto them, depart in peace; be warmed and filled; yet give them not those things which are needful to the body; what does it profit?”

Hence, perfect faith sacrifices for God and man. The perfect faith is the faith that bears or shares the burden of others. Thus, the Apostle Paul, by the Spirit tells us in Galatians 5:6, “For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision avails anything, nor uncircumcision; but faith which works by love”.

So the perfect faith is the justifying and saving faith in Christ Jesus. Put the other way, the saving faith is the perfect faith. And it is the faith that goes along with good works. The word of God tells us that a man is not justified by faith alone, but also by works—James2:24. And of course, works here means, Love, Obedience and godliness or holiness.

The bible also tells us in that same book of James 2:26 that “For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also”.

So my beloved friend, if you already believe in Jesus Christ, congratulations! You have faith. But to obtain absolute or perfect justification, according to scriptures, engage your faith in good works for God. And as you do and continue doing so to the very end, you’re guaranteed of eternity with Christ in paradise.

Remain Blessed!

Emeke Odili

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God” Ephesians 2:8

The Perfect Faith

Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his Son upon the altar? See how faith worked with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?”—James 2:21-22

The scripture above tells us clearly how our father in the faith, Abraham was justified. The scripture tells us that Abraham was justified by faith, but his faith was a perfect faith. His faith was perfected by his work of obedience and love for God.

Hence, we can define the perfect faith, to mean, the faith that is backed with obedience or compliance to God’s instructions. The perfect faith is the faith that works with the fear of God. For after Abraham has laid Isaac on the altar, the Lord said to Abraham, I know that you fear God (Genesis 22:12).

The perfect faith is the faith that works with love for God and people. James 2:15 says:

If a brother or sister be naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you say unto them, depart in peace; be warmed and filled; yet give them not those things which are needful to the body; what does it profit?”

Hence, perfect faith sacrifices for God and man. The perfect faith is the faith that bears or shares the burden of others. Thus, the Apostle Paul, by the Spirit tells us in Galatians 5:6, “For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision avails anything, nor uncircumcision; but faith which works by love”.

So the perfect faith is the justifying and saving faith in Christ Jesus. Put the other way, the saving faith is the perfect faith. And it is the faith that goes along with good works. The word of God tells us that a man is not justified by faith alone, but also by works—James2:24. And of course, works here means, Love, Obedience and godliness or holiness.

The bible also tells us in that same book of James 2:26 that “For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also”.

So my beloved friend, if you already believe in Jesus Christ, congratulations! You have faith. But to obtain absolute or perfect justification, according to scriptures, engage your faith in good works for God. And as you do and continue doing so to the very end, you’re guaranteed of eternity with Christ in paradise.

Remain Blessed!

Emeke Odili

Take another look at the book of James.

James 2:20 21
20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?
(NKJ)

FACT! No, Abraham was not! according to the scriptures He was accounted righteous (JUSTIFIED) before God several years earlier, BEFORE the birth of Isaac, and before he had done anything to "prove" his faith in God.

Genesis 15:4 6

4 And behold, the word of the LORD came to him, saying, "This one shall not be your heir, but one who will come from your own body shall be your heir."
5 Then He brought him outside and said, "Look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them." And He said to him, "So shall your descendants be."
6 And he believed in the LORD, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.
(NKJ)

FACT! Not only that, but God accounted him righteous solely for his faith in His Promises, and not by anything that he did. There is nothing in Genesis 15 that mentions any works that Abraham did. Paul accurately reports this. It seems that James did not consider the account in Genesis 15. It was not until Genesis 22, many years after Isaac was born, when Abraham was well over 100 years old, that he agreed to offer Isaac.

James writes:
22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.
23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend.
24 You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

FACT! Neither of those last two statements jives with the Genesis 15:4 6 account. Nowhere does the OT Scripture say that Abraham "was called God's friend" BECAUSE he was willing to offer up his son Isaac. In Isaiah 41:8 it states that God called Abraham His friend but nowhere in the context of the chapter does He say it was because Abraham offered up his son Isaac.

FACT! What James wrote, as shown above, is a direct contradiction of the Gospel that Paul taught and the account given in Genesis 15:4 6. Abraham was righteous before God solely because he believed God’s promises.

In my opinion the book of James is devoid of the gospel of grace as taught by Paul. However, it was completely compatible with the law of Moses. Since the word of God has to be based on truth, I find the book of James is not meant to be used as a book directed to the grace church. It is only truth to those under the Law of Moses, the Jews.

Here are some more facts that support my opinion. I find them interesting.

1. The word “Law” is found in 18 places
2. The word “grace” is found in 2 places
3. The word “Christ” is found in 2 places
4. The word “Justified” is found in 2 place with the words “by works” after them
5. The words “by faith” is found 1 time (justified by works and not by faith only)
6. The word “cross” is not found
7. The word “reconciled” is not found
8. The word “sanctified” is not found
9. The word “saved” is not found
10. The words “in Christ” are not found
11. The shed blood of Jesus on the cross is not mentioned.
12. The word resurrection is not found.

Romans 4:1 7 Abraham Justified by Faith.
1 What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh?
2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God.
3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness."
4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt.

David Celebrates the Same Truth

5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,
6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:
7 "Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered;
NKJV

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In my opinion the book of James is devoid of the gospel of grace as taught by Paul... It is only truth to those under the Law of Moses, the Jews.
Unfortunately your opinion in this matter is flawed. How can a New Testament writer say that he is "a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ" and not present the Gospel of grace?

James was first written to Hebrew CHRISTIANS just like Hebrews was written to Hebrew CHRISTIANS. But what is presented is for all Christians and for all ages.

James is talking about how others perceive that Christians are justified -- by their actions, not merely by their words.

Now please note the correspondence between these two Scriptures:

Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect [Gk τελειόω =complete]? (James 2:22)

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (Eph 2:10).

Reactions: Hidden In Him

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
H. Richard said:
In my opinion the book of James is devoid of the gospel of grace as taught by Paul... It is only truth to those under the Law of Moses, the Jews.

James was not writing to Jews but to former Jews that have been born again. The point of James's reference to the law is how a church that disrespect the poor are doing so by the deeds of the law whereby they are sinning, because surely Christ did not teach that nor would He lead them to do that.

Unfortunately your opinion in this matter is flawed. How can a New Testament writer say that he is "a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ" and not present the Gospel of grace?

James was first written to Hebrew CHRISTIANS just like Hebrews was written to Hebrew CHRISTIANS. But what is presented is for all Christians and for all ages.

James is talking about how others perceive that Christians are justified -- by their actions, not merely by their words.

Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect [Gk τελειόω =complete]? (James 2:22)

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (Eph 2:10).

James was never talking about the faith in Jesus Christ for salvation that involves works or using works as proof of salvation. James was rebuking a church for disrespecting the poor to such a point that the church after service, were verbalizing the church's faith in God's Providence to the departing poor as if by saying it in a benediction, God will provide for the poor WITHOUT the church giving anything from the bounty collected to meet the immediate needs of the poor that were about to perish from starvation and the elements.

It is on that point of the church's faith in God's Providence; not in Jesus Christ for salvation, that James was rebuking the church for their need to lead by example in the eyes of the poor because as it was, the church's faith in God's Providence to the poor was dead since the church was not leading by example in giving from the bounty what God has provided for the church aka the body of believers, in meeting the immediate needs of the perishing poor. In the eyes of the poor, it is the church's profession of faith in God's Providence that will not profit the poor nor save the poor when the church is not leading by example. It is in the eyes of God and the poor, that the church's faith in God's Providence that is dead as they were just verbalizing that faith to the poor to get out of helping the poor departing after church service.

James's reference to Abraham and Isaac is to the renown tale of God's Providence to Abraham in providing a ram to avoid sacrificing Isaac.

James & Paul shared the right hand of fellowship as Paul did declare that there is no other gospel as he preached the same gospel to the Gentiles as he had done to the Jews.

Galatians 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: 7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Galatians 2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter; 8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:) 9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision. 10 Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do.

Paul started out in Galatians blasting away any false notion that there is a different gospel preached to the Jews from the one to the Gentiles.

Paul's stance on Abraham's righteousness apart from works shows how the Book of James cannot be misread to say otherwise.

Romans 4:1What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? 2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. 3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. 6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, 7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. 8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

So believers need His help to get out of the man made reading of the Book of James when James was addressing the church's abuse upon the poor that were giving a benediction of their faith in God's Providence to the poor just to get out of helping the poor after church service. Churches that profess faith in God's Providence to the poor.. should lead by example to the poor by helping from what God has provided by faith in God's Providence that God had provided enough for the the church and the poor in meeting the immediate needs of the poor that were at risk of perishing.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The major essence of God’s gift of righteousness or justification is eternal salvation.

From scriptures, we understand that the major salvation of God through the Lord Jesus Christ is salvation from sin and its consequent punishment. Hence, even the very name of our Lord Jesus, means savior.

The bible tells us in Matthew 1:21:

And she shall bring forth a Son, and you shall call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins”.

Then again, the bible is also very clear that the only way to receive this eternal salvation from God through Jesus Christ is, Faith.

Let’s see some scriptures that assert this fact apart from our opening text:

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life”.

And he said unto them, go you into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be condemned”—Mark 16:15-16

And brought them out, and said Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved, and your house”—Acts 16:30-31.

But the question here is: what kind of faith or believe is the bible referring to, that gives this eternal salvation? To understand the kind of faith that is required for salvation, we need to examine two kinds of faith as presented by Saint James.

“Even so faith, if it has not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, you have faith, and I have works: show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that there is one God; you do well: the demons also believe, and tremble. But will you know O vain man, that faith without works is dead?” James 2:17-20

From the above scripture, Saint James helps us differentiate between two kinds of faith. These are: the demonic faith and the perfect faith.

The Demonic Faith

The demonic faith is the faith that believes in God, but regardless, is not submissive or obedient to God’s commandments. It is the faith that says Jesus is Lord, but does not treat him as Lord indeed. It is the faith that says Jesus is the Lord with the mouth but denies him in deeds.

The demonic faith is the faith without corresponding good works or actions. The demonic faith is a dead faith.

And unfortunately this kind of faith is what has become dominant in Christendom today. A greater percentage of Christ’s believers walk in this kind of faith. Yes, they believe and have even confessed Jesus as their Lord and personal savior.

They confess they are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. They even preach the gospel with all vigor. Most of them are involved in service groups in the church. They even include: Apostles, Prophets, Pastors, Teachers, Evangelists, Deacons and Deaconesses, Choir Masters and Mistresses.

But in spite of all these, they deny and reproach Christ in their actions and daily lifestyles.

They deny and reproach him in their words, in their dressing; they deny him in their relationship with their spouses and neighbours. They deny and reproach Christ in their business dealings. Yet they believe in Jesus and even profess same with their mouth. To the folks that belong to this group; with this kind of faith, the Lord Jesus asks: “And why call me, Lord, Lord; and do not the things which I say?”—Luke 6:46.

So to believe in Jesus and not do his commandments is to be walking in demonic and dead faith. And of course, this kind of faith doesn’t justify, neither does it give eternal salvation.

The Perfect Faith

Remain Blessed!

Emeke Odili

There is no demonic faith being addressed by James.

James was addressing the church's abuse of the poor that were getting out of helping the poor from the bounty collected after church service by giving a benediction of professing the church's faith to the poor that God will provide for them by saying "Be warmed and be filled" as if that will do it.

It is in the eyes of the poor that the church's faith will not profit the poor nor saved the poor when the church is hardly leading by example for why that church's faith in God's Providence is dead in the eyes of the poor. The poor can see the bounty collected at church service and yet the church had no faith to help them meet their immediate needs while trusting God that the church will still have what God has provided for the church to operate on afterwards.

So it was the abuse by the church that were hiding behind verbalizing faith in God's Providence to the poor without leading by example to the poor.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello dear friend, reading through I get a mixed message. I would like to say that I'm almost sure where you are God is using you greatly to teach-preach and lead others. On the other hand when doing online writing you are dealing with the whole world and will be open for rebuke. Your zeal is to be commended, but the lack of understanding goes wanting, keep your hand to the plow open for knowledge and understanding.

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
There is no demonic faith being addressed by James.

James was addressing the church's abuse of the poor that were getting out of helping the poor from the bounty collected after church service by giving a benediction of professing the church's faith to the poor that God will provide for them by saying "Be warmed and be filled" as if that will do it.

It is in the eyes of the poor that the church's faith will not profit the poor nor saved the poor when the church is hardly leading by example for why that church's faith in God's Providence is dead in the eyes of the poor. The poor can see the bounty collected at church service and yet the church had no faith to help them meet their immediate needs while trusting God that the church will still have what God has provided for the church to operate on afterwards.

So it was the abuse by the church that were hiding behind verbalizing faith in God's Providence to the poor without leading by example to the poor.

Well, if your position is true why then did he make mention of justification? What has justification got to do with abuse of the poor in your point of view.

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
Take another look at the book of James.

James 2:20 21
20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?
(NKJ)

FACT! No, Abraham was not! according to the scriptures He was accounted righteous (JUSTIFIED) before God several years earlier, BEFORE the birth of Isaac, and before he had done anything to "prove" his faith in God.

Genesis 15:4 6

4 And behold, the word of the LORD came to him, saying, "This one shall not be your heir, but one who will come from your own body shall be your heir."
5 Then He brought him outside and said, "Look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them." And He said to him, "So shall your descendants be."
6 And he believed in the LORD, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.
(NKJ)

FACT! Not only that, but God accounted him righteous solely for his faith in His Promises, and not by anything that he did. There is nothing in Genesis 15 that mentions any works that Abraham did. Paul accurately reports this. It seems that James did not consider the account in Genesis 15. It was not until Genesis 22, many years after Isaac was born, when Abraham was well over 100 years old, that he agreed to offer Isaac.

James writes:
22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.
23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend.
24 You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

FACT! Neither of those last two statements jives with the Genesis 15:4 6 account. Nowhere does the OT Scripture say that Abraham "was called God's friend" BECAUSE he was willing to offer up his son Isaac. In Isaiah 41:8 it states that God called Abraham His friend but nowhere in the context of the chapter does He say it was because Abraham offered up his son Isaac.

FACT! What James wrote, as shown above, is a direct contradiction of the Gospel that Paul taught and the account given in Genesis 15:4 6. Abraham was righteous before God solely because he believed God’s promises.

In my opinion the book of James is devoid of the gospel of grace as taught by Paul. However, it was completely compatible with the law of Moses. Since the word of God has to be based on truth, I find the book of James is not meant to be used as a book directed to the grace church. It is only truth to those under the Law of Moses, the Jews.

Here are some more facts that support my opinion. I find them interesting.

1. The word “Law” is found in 18 places
2. The word “grace” is found in 2 places
3. The word “Christ” is found in 2 places
4. The word “Justified” is found in 2 place with the words “by works” after them
5. The words “by faith” is found 1 time (justified by works and not by faith only)
6. The word “cross” is not found
7. The word “reconciled” is not found
8. The word “sanctified” is not found
9. The word “saved” is not found
10. The words “in Christ” are not found
11. The shed blood of Jesus on the cross is not mentioned.
12. The word resurrection is not found.

Romans 4:1 7 Abraham Justified by Faith.
1 What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh?
2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God.
3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness."
4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt.

David Celebrates the Same Truth

5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,
6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:
7 "Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered;
NKJV

James never contradicted Paul as many say. Paul did include good works in his saving faith with the word 'Love'. In Galatians he says in Christ Jesus, neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything but faith that works with love(Galatians 5:6). Then in 1Corinthians 13 the Apostle Paul also let's us know that Faith without Love is unprofitable. You know according to the Apostle Paul the whole law is summarized in Love.

And of course, Love is not only expressed in words but much more in works or action or obedience to God's word.
This was exactly the point James was expounding.
And the Apostle Peter, is not also left out in this matter. If you read 2 Peter, you'll see that the Apostle Peter doesn't also see faith alone as the only requirement for access to eternal life below is the exact scripture I am talking about:
2Peter1:

5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

So Peter also says you need to add good works (such as virtue, love, temperance, brotherly kindness, godliness) to your faith so you will never fall and as such, an entrance shall be granted you into the kingdom of God.

And of course, if the forward statement is true, then the backward statement is also true.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if your position is true why then did he make mention of justification? What has justification got to do with abuse of the poor in your point of view.

If you preach having faith in God to heal to others and forbid them to not go to doctors or seek medical care for that faith to be real to others but he, himself, goes to a doctor when he is sick, he is not justified nor righteous for saying he has faith when he does not live by example.

So in the same way for a church to say that they have faith in God's providence ( when they just want to verbalize it to the poor to get out of helping the poor ) they are not justified nor righteous for doing so.

The word "justified" is not used towards the faith in Jesus Christ for salvation, but in how they were using their faith in God's providence without leading by example.

Faith in Jesus Christ for salvation without works is justified because it is by faith in Jesus Christ alone without works is how one is saved and thus justified.

Of course, we are called to be His disciples by learning of His words to abide in Him to bear fruit and that our joy may be full, but it is not for salvation when it is about being His abiding bride to be received at the pre great raptured when the Bridegroom comes.

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
If you preach having faith in God to heal to others and forbid them to not go to doctors or seek medical care for that faith to be real to others but he, himself, goes to a doctor when he is sick, he is not justified nor righteous for saying he has faith when he does not live by example.

So in the same way for a church to say that they have faith in God's providence ( when they just want to verbalize it to the poor to get out of helping the poor ) they are not justified nor righteous for doing so.

The word "justified" is not used towards the faith in Jesus Christ for salvation, but in how they were using their faith in God's providence without leading by example.

Faith in Jesus Christ for salvation without works is justified because it is by faith in Jesus Christ alone without works is how one is saved and thus justified.

Of course, we are called to be His disciples by learning of His words to abide in Him to bear fruit and that our joy may be full, but it is not for salvation when it is about being His abiding bride to be received at the pre great raptured when the Bridegroom comes.

Ok so in your point of view this how you see the justification that James was talking about. Well, I don't have dominion over your faith. We all have the Holy Spirit.

Now I want to also get your interpretation of Peter in 2 Peter as I posted above. Let me Post it directly to you now and get your interpretation:

The Apostle Peter, is not also left out in this matter. If you read 2 Peter, you'll see that the Apostle Peter doesn't also see faith alone as the only requirement for access to eternal life below is the exact scripture I am talking about:
2Peter1:

5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

So Peter also says you need to add good works (such as virtue, love, temperance, brotherly kindness, godliness) to your faith so you will never fall and as such, an entrance shall be granted you into the kingdom of God.

And of course, if the forward statement is true, then the backward statement is also true. Wouldn't you think?

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I believe the FACTS that show James was in error about the FACTS. Your opinion is just that, your opinion. What I wrote was based on three obvious things that James wrote that were not true. --- Put your head in the sand and not see these obvious facts if you wish. I will not. The book of James was written to the JEWS ONLY. It says so in James 1:1. But you can just ignore what James wrote in James 1:1 and jump on what he said about works. Paul makes it clear that works will not BUY you a place in heaven. But you ignore what Paul said so you can claim your works.

Most all posts and replies state that works are required and if you are not doing them you will not go to heaven not matter how much you trust in Jesus' work on the cross. That is a lie fostered by Satan.The message taught in the religious churches is that if you claim to be a Christian, try to keep the law and be good you are going to heaven. There will be many that believe that and they certainly will not be in heaven.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What I wrote was based on three obvious things that James wrote that were not true.
Since you are accusing James -- a servant of God and Christ -- of writing "what is not true", you have already failed to make you case.

The onus is on YOU to accept that what Peter, James, John, and Paul wrote was by divine inspiration -- therefore GOD'S TRUTH.

After that the onus is on YOU to reconcile any apparent discrepancies, so that every passage harmonizes with Gospel truth.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok so in your point of view this how you see the justification that James was talking about. Well, I don't have dominion over your faith. We all have the Holy Spirit.

Now I want to also get your interpretation of Peter in 2 Peter as I posted above. Let me Post it directly to you now and get your interpretation:

The Apostle Peter, is not also left out in this matter. If you read 2 Peter, you'll see that the Apostle Peter doesn't also see faith alone as the only requirement for access to eternal life below is the exact scripture I am talking about:
2Peter1:

And of course, if the forward statement is true, then the backward statement is also true. Wouldn't you think?

Paul would say to those that move on in the Lord "they live by the faith of the Son of God" Gal. 2:20

Reactions: Helen

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since you are accusing James -- a servant of God and Christ -- of writing "what is not true", you have already failed to make you case.

The onus is on YOU to accept that what Peter, James, John, and Paul wrote was by divine inspiration -- therefore GOD'S TRUTH.

After that the onus is on YOU to reconcile any apparent discrepancies, so that every passage harmonizes with Gospel truth.

James starts out addressing the12 tribes of Israel, what say you.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
James starts out addressing the 12 tribes of Israel, what say you.
Very true, but he is addressing those who are saved Hebrew Christians (just like the epistle to the Hebrews), and writing sometime between 60 and 69 AD. And Paul is also regarding the Jews of his time as "Israel" (which would imply 12 tribes), so there is no discrepancy here. Even though the Jews in Judea of that day were from only three tribes, it was the Holy Spirit's decision to address the twelve tribes of Israel. Who are we to argue?

It is generally accepted that this James was the Lord's *brother* (or half-brother) who was the leading elder in the church at Jerusalem. Once we recall that thousands of Torah observant Jews were saved on the day of Pentecost and shortly thereafter, it was necessary that the Holy Spirit address these Hebrew Christians directly. So we have the epistles of Peter and James as well as the epistle of Paul to the Hebrews. While Hebrews is focused on doctrine contrasting the Old Covenant with the New Covenant, James is focused on practical Christianity.

The important points to note are (1) all the writings within the NT are to be regarded as divinely inspired, hence "the Word of God", hence true in every particular (2) anything written to Hebrew Christians would also be relevant to Gentile Christians, and (3) the Gospel is one and the same throughout the Bible.

But here is the correspondence between James and Paul:

THE ROYAL LAW IS THE LAW OF CHRIST

If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well (James 2:8).

Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. (Romans 13:8-10).

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very true, but he is addressing those who are saved Hebrew Christians (just like the epistle to the Hebrews), and writing sometime between 60 and 69 AD. And Paul is also regarding the Jews of his time as "Israel" (which would imply 12 tribes), so there is no discrepancy here. Even though the Jews in Judea of that day were from only three tribes, it was the Holy Spirit's decision to address the twelve tribes of Israel. Who are we to argue?

Right, I'm not saying James is not part of the inspired word of God. James is full of law and you will be hard pressed to find a comparable grace message Paul preached. Same with Peter, Paul had to confront Peter about his law preaching. They finally contended to go their separate ways preaching two different gospels. James falls into the same category preaching the law.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter would go on to say in his epistle 'Paul is a hard man to understand.' Paul is not hard to understand when you understand grace. That grace establishes the believer to understand and follow Paul in the scriptures as he followed the Lord into this new understanding. So christians have a hard to separating the fact their bible deals with real issues like the apostles not getting along, preaching different messages, on and on it goes but we worship what we no not.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
They finally contended to go their separate ways preaching two different gospels. James falls into the same category preaching the law
You really think so? I showed you that the Royal Law mentioned by James is EXACTLY the same as the Law of Christ mentioned by Paul. James is focused on practical Christianity for those who are already saved by grace. His is not a Gospel preaching epistle. As to Peter, how is this any different from what Paul says:

Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. (1 Pet 1:18-21).

Do you really believe that God would allow two different Gospels into His Word in order to confuse mankind?

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
Hello dear friend, reading through I get a mixed message. I would like to say that I'm almost sure where you are God is using you greatly to teach-preach and lead others. On the other hand when doing online writing you are dealing with the whole world and will be open for rebuke. Your zeal is to be commended, but the lack of understanding goes wanting, keep your hand to the plow open for knowledge and understanding.
Well, dear brother,
You know, I love rebukes allots, it has really helped me so much and has also helped many as well that I have rebuked. But could you please point out to me the area you think is going wanton in understanding?