The SBC of Two Gospels…

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

skypair

Nov 4, 2016
…is starting to make sense to me. One gospel to save the spirit (mind) and one gospel to save the soul (heart) .. so the church "adds to the church daily" those who know about God and those who "know God, or rather are known of God" (Gal 4:9) worshipping together. It's like the "foolish virgins" and the "wise virgins" in the end times waiting together for the coming of Christ. (Mt 25:1-12)

It's great Laodicean ecclesiology .. the church "washes with regeneration and renews the spirit" (Titus 3:5) with its teachings, its worship teams, it mission trips, it sports "connections" on a grand "campus," its recovery groups, etc. In Jesus' words, she says, "I am rich, and increased of goods, and have need of nothing." (Rev 3:17)

How I long for the church that preaches as Paul did, "repentance towards God, and faith towards our Lord Jesus Christ." (Acts 20:21) Or like Peter, "Repent and be converted" FROM whatever you had faith in before TO faith in Christ. (Acts 3:19) I think Jesus called her "Philadelphia."

Last edited:

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
so how many gospels are there, just the two? so what happenes when someone comes along, says thay have spoken to Jesus, and has another gospel to add? do we just keep adding?

Reactions: Willie T

skypair

Nov 4, 2016
so how many gospels are there, just the two? so what happenes when someone comes along, says thay have spoken to Jesus, and has another gospel to add? do we just keep adding?
Well, there are 3 biblical gospels. 1) The everlasting gospel (Ro 1:18-20, Rev 14:6-7), 2) the gospel of the kingdom (Mt 24:14 — of Messiah's coming), and the gospel of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:36-40).

However, at this current time, there is also (in addition to the gospel of Jesus Christ), the gospel of the doctrines of grace (Eph 1:4-13, 2:8-10, Ro 8:29-30, etc.). It basically says that if you believe the gospel, then you are "elect unto salvation" and that God has given you faith, repentance, forgiveness of sin, the Holy Spirit, etc. monergisticly — "salvation is all of God." No human is response necessary nor sufficient.

skypair

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
Well, there are 3 biblical gospels. 1) The everlasting gospel (Ro 1:18-20, Rev 14:6-7), 2) the gospel of the kingdom (Mt 24:14 — of Messiah's coming), and the gospel of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:36-40).

However, at this current time, there is also (in addition to the gospel of Jesus Christ), the gospel of the doctrines of grace (Eph 1:4-13, 2:8-10, Ro 8:29-30, etc.). It basically says that if you believe the gospel, then you are "elect unto salvation" and that God has given you faith, repentance, forgiveness of sin, the Holy Spirit, etc. monergisticly — "salvation is all of God." No human is response necessary nor sufficient.

skypair

so anyone can come along, say thay have spoken to Jesus, and make a new gospel?

skypair

Nov 4, 2016
so anyone can come along, say thay have spoken to Jesus, and make a new gospel?
Yes, it would seem so. John Calvin fell into his own trap. He was telling us ("The Institutes") how EVERYONE knows there is a God .. he even cites Acts 17:27 which says we all seek him. But then he says that "geniuses, those instructed in letters," often make their own gods (Ro 1:22-23) which, after some little introduction, he begins to do. And so later on, he creates a "faith alone" god.

Whereas you can see mine is from scripture and, amazingly, you think nothing of your little barb but accuse me of misleading folks.

skypair

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
Yes, it would seem so. John Calvin fell into his own trap. He was telling us ("The Institutes") how EVERYONE knows there is a God .. he even cites Acts 17:27 which says we all seek him. But then he says that "geniuses, those instructed in letters," often make their own gods (Ro 1:22-23) which, after some little introduction, he begins to do. And so later on, he creates a "faith alone" god.

Whereas you can see mine is from scripture and, amazingly, you think nothing of your little barb but accuse me of misleading folks.

skypair

i believe there is only one gospel, the gospel of Jesus.

skypair

Nov 4, 2016
And that is fine as long as you actually have obeyed it. My point is that folks believe that they can be saved without obeying the gospel (Acts 2:36-40) but Acts 5:32, for instance, says that God only gives His Holy Ghost "to them that obey Him." And if there be any gospel in scripture, they all call for repentance calling on the name of the Lord (Joel 2:32, Ro 10:13, etc.). That is, in prayer asking God to save you in His Holy name.

skypair

skypair

Nov 4, 2016
Well, in Rev 14:6-7 there is what is called the "everlasting gospel" preached by an angel in heaven during the tribulation. And in Mt 24:14, there is the "gospel of the kingdom" which proclaimed the coming of the kingdom of Messiah which all the OT saints believed beginning with the promise to Eve of it in Gen 3:15.

skypair

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, Jaybird.

I have heard about other gospels and found it's eastern religion, new age stuff, which has nothing to do with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
And you heard wrong. It has every thing to do with Jesus' shed blood on the cross that atoned (paid) for ALL the sins of the world. Salvation is only offered to those that trust (have faith) in what Jesus (GOD) did for man on the cross.

The Gospel of the Kingdom was about Jesus coming to setup the promised kingdom of the Jews. The Grace Gospel is about what Jesus did for the whole world. The Grace Gospel is about Jesus paying for the sins of the world. The kingdom Gospel was under the covenants made to the Jews only. It included the law.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
…is starting to make sense to me. One gospel to save the spirit (mind) and one gospel to save the soul (heart) .. so the church "adds to the church daily" those who know about God and those who "know God, or rather are known of God" (Gal 4:9) worshipping together. It's like the "foolish virgins" and the "wise virgins" in the end times waiting together for the coming of Christ. (Mt 25:1-12)

It's great Laodicean ecclesiology .. the church "washes with regeneration and renews the spirit" (Titus 3:5) with its teachings, its worship teams, it mission trips, it sports "connections" on a grand "campus," its recovery groups, etc. In Jesus' words, she says, "I am rich, and increased of goods, and have need of nothing." (Rev 3:17)

How I long for the church that preaches as Paul did, "repentance towards God, and faith towards our Lord Jesus Christ." (Acts 20:21) Or like Peter, "Repent and be converted" FROM whatever you had faith in before TO faith in Christ. (Acts 3:19) I think Jesus called her "Philadelphia."
Indeed, most congregations are a house divided.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, there are 3 biblical gospels. 1) The everlasting gospel (Ro 1:18-20, Rev 14:6-7),
2) the gospel of the kingdom (Mt 24:14 — of Messiah's coming),
and 3 the gospel of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:36-40).
skypair

Gospel = Good News

Ephesians 6:15 “And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;”

Are they not all expressions of The Good News/Gospel ...
" Peace on earth Goodwill to men."

skypair

Nov 4, 2016
Indeed, most congregations are a house divided.
Yeah, I've tried to wrap my head around that for a while now .. particularly 1Cor 11:16-19 - the idea that there are "sects" in one church and that they "come together not for the better but for the worse." To be contentious, it seems. And then it talks about "that which is approved" being made manifest and, I suppose, everyone else fall in line.

So do we have to fall in line behind a) the wrong gospel? or b) behind 2 gospels (faith alone and repentance unto life)? I find in the church of Sardis just such a situation and Jesus told those in the church who had soiled their garments to repent.

Maybe you can shed some light on this issue for me.

skypair

skypair

Nov 4, 2016
Are they not all expressions of The Good News/Gospel ...
" Peace on earth Goodwill to men."
Absolutely! But they are all successively greater revelations of God's plan of salvation beginning with the revelation of His existence through creation.

skypair

Reactions: Helen

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I've tried to wrap my head around that for a while now .. particularly 1Cor 11:16-19 - the idea that there are "sects" in one church and that they "come together not for the better but for the worse." To be contentious, it seems. And then it talks about "that which is approved" being made manifest and, I suppose, everyone else fall in line.

So do we have to fall in line behind a) the wrong gospel? or b) behind 2 gospels (faith alone and repentance unto life)? I find in the church of Sardis just such a situation and Jesus told those in the church who had soiled their garments to repent.

Maybe you can shed some light on this issue for me.

skypair
It is not that there are actually two gospels, but there are two powers at work: One that is from God, and the other that is simply allowed by God. The one is spirit, and the other flesh, in nature. It is allowed for a reason:

Isaiah 6:10
Make the heart of this people dull, And their ears heavy, And shut their eyes; Lest they see with their eyes, And hear with their ears, And understand with their heart, And return and be healed.”

...which reason is manifest in a type of blindness not unlike that blindness that has come upon Israel for the same reason: "until the times of the gentiles are fulfilled."

So, the body serves the body of flesh barely letting the spirit in, and for this God has sent strong delusion, that they should believe a lie, for they did not love the truth. "For the desolate has many more children Than she who has a husband.”