The School of the prophets: Introduction

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This morning the Pastor at the church that I currently attend was teaching from Ephesians chapter 4 and specifically on the nature of spiritual gifts and their use in the church. Before he could make his plea for unity in the church and a spirit of volunteerism in the use of our gifts, he had to clarify what gifts "still exist" as opposed to those that God only gave for the "initial" formation of the church or for the "completion of the cannon of scripture." So, in just a few short minutes, he consigned all those in the body of Christ given a prophetic gift to the classification of "liar," "false prophet," or "deluded nut" whose only purpose in the body of Christ is to clean floors, bathrooms, and windows.
While I don't mind doing such work and have done so for most of my life, being good at it was never a spiritual gift nor did it ever engage one.

The thousands of us who have actually received prophetic gifts and have manifested "sign" gifts, are defined by the largest part of the church as non-existent,(so much for unity.)
We find in scripture, in the Old testament, mention of "the school of the prophets" which has been non-existent for so long that we have no idea what was taught or why. It occurred to me that, given the fact that their are many people who manifest gifts that the church leadership refuses to even believe in, there remains a necessity for examining the proper use of these non-existent (non-recognized gifts) and a place to educate those that have them, on their lawful application (Balaam was a true prophet that taught the Midianites how to stumble the Israelites with attractive temptation, because God would not permit him to curse them and he wanted the money of the Midianite rulers.)

Since this is a Christian web site and since the only prophecy we can be sure of comes from Christians, it seemed like a good idea to start an informal school of the prophets right here. I know that many faithful Christians would tend to oppose the idea because of their own doctrinal positions on the gifts of the Spirit, but even they are a benefit to such an endeavor as they help to keep people honest (when they aren't trying to smack them down or labeling them heretics.)

What I intend to do here is examine what the scripture has to say about the prophets and prophecy in a topical way, beginning in the book of Genesis and ending with the book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ. While anecdotal information is often useful to our understanding, that which contradicts scripture would be problematic to say the least, so we'll try to make all argument from scripture and if we do find something which seems contradictory we will have to examine it in light of God's revealed purposes in scripture, the gospel, and the person of our Lord revealed in Jesus the Son of God.

This is sure to be controversial, but I think that we may proceed as a group effort to define the gifts and scope of prophecy to the edification, unification, and maturation, of the church at large. I've begun my own study of the topic with respect to God's use of dreams and that is where I'll begin on-topic discussion:
The first time that my search engine finds the word "dream" used in scripture is in Genesis 20:2-7 and in describing the dream of Abimelech king of Gerar (a gentile). This passage is the first that I find clearly identifying prophecy (God speaking to a man with a warning) in the content of a dream. In Genesis 15:12-21, where we find the Lord making a covenant with Abraham, we are told about Abraham falling into a deep sleep, so it would seem that part of Abraham's experience with God on that occasion was in his dreams, but the scripture isn't clear as to what was dream and what was a waking experience, so I will start my discussion with Genesis chapter 20.

Reactions: lforrest

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.” (Hebrews 1:1–2, NIV84)

“But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves.” (2 Peter 2:1, NIV84)

“For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God.” (Acts 20:27, NIV84)

Michael,

I appreciate your kind tone in this post. However, I think the above Scriptures testify that prophecy is a gift that has passed. The clear implication is that God spoke to his people "in the past" through prophets, "but now" has spoken through His Son. The prophets were a lesser form of communication from God. Now we have been given the full revelation and "whole will of God" through the ministry and teaching of Jesus. In fact, Peter declares that there "were" false prophets in the past but there "will be" false "teachers" among us now. 1 John also makes it clear that the enemy has begun to use a new tactic...false teaching and "antichrists." So, because God is now moving in a new way through the teaching of Jesus, so the enemy has changed from using false prophets to false teachers because God has fully spoken through his Son and continues that testimony through his Spirit that is poured out "on all flesh." Just as the priesthood passed away at the coming of the ultimate priest, so also the prophets have passed away at the coming of the Word made flesh. The idea that prophets exist today, to me, is like saying we need to reestablish the priesthood. Why? Jesus has spoken and we each possess the Spirit of God within us. We no longer need prophets or priests to bridge the gap.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You cant teach someone to be a prophet, only God can, he always has and always will,

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I agree that prophets in the sense of people declaring prophecies of universal validity (i.e. Scripture) are no more. But they were never the only type of prophets. The 'schools of the prophets' associated with Elijah and Elisha seem to have been men dedicated to serving God in a time of apostasy who were used by God on occasion to communicate with the people on a more individual level.

When Hebrews 1 was written, there were still people with the spiritual gift of prophecy in the early church. People like Agabus and the daughters of Philip the Evangelist. Why should we not still have that kind of prophet today? Their prophecies need to be weighed and tested by the church (to weed out the false ones).

Wormwood said:
Jesus has spoken and we each possess the Spirit of God within us. We no longer need prophets or priests to bridge the gap.

We don't need prophets to bridge any gap. The point of prophecy is to enable us to minister to one another. Of course God could speak to us individually through His Spirit - but why is it so difficult to imagine that He can also speak to us through another member of Christ's Body? The spiritual gifts reinforce our interdependence - that is one reason why they are so important.

https://deborahsbiblestudies.wordpress.com/2016/02/20/the-gifts-of-the-spirit-prophecy/

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
There is value in studying what a Prophet is. Even if the office of prophet no longer exists for the purpose of Revelations about God. I have seen first hand prophecies on a more personal level.

Some takeaways from these verses. GEN 20:2-7
1. Abimelech was not considered a prophet yet God spoke to him in a prophetic dream.
2. Abraham was considered a prophet.
3. God told Abimelech he was going to die, Yet was given a way out.
4. Abimelech obeyed God and the disaster looming over his family was averted.
5. God didn't wait for Abimelech to take Sarah as a wife, he pre-empted the sin.
6. Abraham's prayer was necessary to avert the disaster.
7. This prophetic dream was a dialog, very plain and direct not using symbolism or needing interpretation.
8. The prophecy was facilitated by what I assume is a disease that caused sterility, and would eventually result in death.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
michael you do what you feel God has laid on your heart. i think this will help people realize what a prophet is.

Wormwood said:
“In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.” (Hebrews 1:1–2, NIV84)

“But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves.” (2 Peter 2:1, NIV84)

“For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God.” (Acts 20:27, NIV84)

Michael,

I appreciate your kind tone in this post. However, I think the above Scriptures testify that prophecy is a gift that has passed. The clear implication is that God spoke to his people "in the past" through prophets, "but now" has spoken through His Son. The prophets were a lesser form of communication from God. Now we have been given the full revelation and "whole will of God" through the ministry and teaching of Jesus. In fact, Peter declares that there "were" false prophets in the past but there "will be" false "teachers" among us now. 1 John also makes it clear that the enemy has begun to use a new tactic...false teaching and "antichrists." So, because God is now moving in a new way through the teaching of Jesus, so the enemy has changed from using false prophets to false teachers because God has fully spoken through his Son and continues that testimony through his Spirit that is poured out "on all flesh." Just as the priesthood passed away at the coming of the ultimate priest, so also the prophets have passed away at the coming of the Word made flesh. The idea that prophets exist today, to me, is like saying we need to reestablish the priesthood. Why? Jesus has spoken and we each possess the Spirit of God within us. We no longer need prophets or priests to bridge the gap.
some people think prophets are old testament only as wormwood has so graciously pointed out. but what is a prophet? person that foretells the future? he that prophesies speaks to men for edification, exhortation, and comfort." [1Cor:14:3]. how do you tell if a prophet is false or not? were there prophets in the new testament church? i like how everyone changes the meaning of scripture so you can get it to say what you want it to say. none of your scriptures says prophesy has gone away. it says prophesy has changed but that does not mean gone away. let us not assume please. let me see concrete wording that what you say is true. i can provide concrete proof it is for today. it actually says prophesy is for today. And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:.... And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy" [Acts:2:17-18]. please search scripture before making false claims.

btw does not scripture teach that we are both priests and kings? are we not allowed to walk into the holy place of God now? is not Jesus the high priest?

God bless

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just to respond a little to the comments about the NT prophets...

Yes, there were NT prophets. However, these people testified about Jesus to those who had not heard and had no Scriptures to inform them. They learned via direct revelation. God used prophets in the NT to declare the message of Christ and to help teach the churches about Jesus in the absence of the Apostles.

“At this I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “Do not do it! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”” (Revelation 19:10, NIV84)

Jesus is the fulfillment of the prophets and their message. Jesus is the last, full and complete Word from God. The NT prophets testified about Jesus. Today, we have the testimony of Jesus and we need no further revelations because Jesus is the ultimate revelation from God. I agree that prophets do not simply tell the future. However, prophets heard direct words from God and relayed those words to the people. They didn't preach their gut instincts or feelings as many so-called prophets do today. In fact, God condemned so-called prophets who did such things...

“Then the Lord said to me, “The prophets are prophesying lies in my name. I have not sent them or appointed them or spoken to them. They are prophesying to you false visions, divinations, idolatries and the delusions of their own minds.” (Jeremiah 14:14, NIV84)

If someone is a prophet, they will be speaking new revelation for the people that has come directly from God without question. Many of the prophets heard God audibly or were even caught up in heavenly visions. Those who call themselves prophets today generally just speak from their own imaginations and gut feelings. I think they mean well, but they are sincerely and dangerously wrong to declare "Thus says the Lord"when God has not spoken. The reason I don't believe God is using prophets today is both because the Scriptures indicate a transition from prophets to teachers as well as it is clear in the NT that Jesus is the fullness of God's revelation to man. That message has been proclaimed throughout the earth and since there is no new revelation, there are no prophets. We need only preachers and teachers to proclaim and teach what has already been revealed. And through that proclamation and teaching we find all the edification we need.

Reactions: tabletalk

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Wormwood said:
Just to respond a little to the comments about the NT prophets...

Yes, there were NT prophets. However, these people testified about Jesus to those who had not heard and had no Scriptures to inform them. They learned via direct revelation. God used prophets in the NT to declare the message of Christ and to help teach the churches about Jesus in the absence of the Apostles.
How do you arrive at this? The only NT prophets that I can think of don't fit this description. Agabus prophesied to the church in Antioch (Acts 11:27-30) and to Paul (Acts 21:10,11). And Paul encouraged the use of prophecy in the regular church gatherings (I Corinthians 14:29-31)!

The NT prophets testified about Jesus.
Agabus testified about a famine and about Paul's destiny in Jerusalem.

If someone is a prophet, they will be speaking new revelation for the people that has come directly from God without question.
So why does the NT tell us always to test prophecy? There's a difference here between OT and NT prophecy.

Those who call themselves prophets today generally just speak from their own imaginations and gut feelings. I think they mean well, but they are sincerely and dangerously wrong to declare "Thus says the Lord"when God has not spoken.
There are certainly some who speak from their own imaginations - this is why it's so important to "weigh carefully what is said" (I Corinthians 14:29)!
And most people who prophecy today know better than to begin with 'Thus says the Lord'. I don't think I've ever heard a prophecy begin with those words - and I would be very suspicious if it did!

The reason I don't believe God is using prophets today is both because the Scriptures indicate a transition from prophets to teachers as well as it is clear in the NT that Jesus is the fullness of God's revelation to man. That message has been proclaimed throughout the earth and since there is no new revelation, there are no prophets. We need only preachers and teachers to proclaim and teach what has already been revealed. And through that proclamation and teaching we find all the edification we need.
This is true only for prophecy in the OT sense. NT prophets (think of Agabus) were not bringing new revelation, and neither are the modern ones.

ezekiel

Aug 14, 2013
Faith
Country
United States
All are able to gain understanding thru Christ. All people don't have the same needs or what they are concerned about. Not all care or want to know about the New Heavens, some don't study or grow they stay as a child that's ok. God will not teach you how to understand this if you don't understand that. One cleaning can have more understanding then the preacher that preaches but he speaks not. If you think he is false study and ask God He will reply. Ask and you will receive.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Greetings Michael, although your idea of exploring how the gift of a prophet fits within the body of Christ, such threads need to be kept within the context of opinions and under the guidelines of forum rules. CyB is a discussion forum, not a church. I am aware of a few prophets who are indeed involved as part of the ministry within the church but they have been long time members who have proven their gifts over a long period of time as part the presbytery/leadership team.

ChristianityBoard however, cannot vouch for the credibility of those to wish to teach an area of ministry simply because the CyB team does not know them personally nor do they have a long standing relationship with them to verify their credibility and this board is already a ministry.

If you wish to start a discussion on this subject, please do but keep in mind that Christianity Board is already an on-line Christian ministry site which is open to all believers, even those who do not believe that such ministerial gifts are for today.

Thank you and be blessed!

ezekiel

Aug 14, 2013
Faith
Country
United States
Now my spirit and yours are tied with God. If God speaks to you it will be by the spirit, also dreams and visions. For God is Spirit. So right now I look into the darkness and I see many upset and mad people chomping at the bit. Then being I study all the bible these are said to my spirit. (1) I will put a hook into their jaw and bring them on my people. (2) It is the evil that is upset. (3) They have enjoy evil and its going to stop. Some of these things have my spirit caught hold of.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
ezekiel said:
Now my spirit and yours are tied with God. If God speaks to you it will be by the spirit, also dreams and visions. For God is Spirit. So right now I look into the darkness and I see many upset and mad people chomping at the bit. Then being I study all the bible these are said to my spirit. (1) I will put a hook into their jaw and bring them on my people. (2) It is the evil that is upset. (3) They have enjoy evil and its going to stop. Some of these things have my spirit caught hold of.
Thanks everyone, even if no one else benefits from this thread I have.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Well I am open to conversations regarding this topic. I understand that there was and still is a position of prophet in the church. My understanding about O/T prophets were that they spoke on God's behalf relating either to the church of that day, world events or to the coming Messiah. Back in those days, there was no complete bible so the early church relied a lot on their prophets. There is a distinct difference between a prophet and the gift of prophecy. Some believe that all prophecy has been fulfilled but we can see there is more to come...ie: the return of the king!

ezekiel

Aug 14, 2013
Faith
Country
United States
Michael allow God to lead you thru the bible, you may think it is you but God will lead. God is the only Shepard, no man can sub. for this. Keep your eyes on what He says.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Deborah,

I think if you take a moment to imagine a small church hundreds of miles separated from Paul that he started after a couple day visit...with no Bibles, no scrolls, no eyewitnesses or even other people who had heard stories about Jesus...I think it becomes easier to understand how NT prophets worked. They received revelation from God about what God had done through Christ.

In fact, in the first letter to the Corinthians, Paul declares, “Did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached? If anybody thinks he is a prophet or spiritually gifted, let him acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord’s command. If he ignores this, he himself will be ignored.” (1 Corinthians 14:36–38, NIV84)
Think about these verses for a minute. Paul is saying that these prophecies they are receiving did not originate with them. They started with others and God is speaking to these prophets words that he has already spoken to others that have passed it on. In fact, Paul declares that if someone claims they are a prophet but do not recognize what Paul is saying is coming from God, then they are to be ignored. The message was clear and the gifts were used to build the local church up in love and knowledge of Jesus Christ. God did miraculous things in the early church to validate the message and to establish the message of the Apostles and prophets as true...through signs and wonders.
By your rationale, Agabus foretold of a famine. Paul raised the dead. Peter walked on water. John healed a leper. Those things happened in the first century and 1 Corinthians speaks of miracles. So if there are prophets in your church, where are the miracle workers? How many dead have been raised? How many blind have been given sight. After all, these signs confirm the message of the prophets. So many who argue they are prophets have not problem saying that miracle working isn't very prominent or needed today, but get offended if someone says prophecy isn't needed today. Seems strange to me.

In any event, I still maintain that Jesus is the full revelation of God. We have that message inspired and preserved in the Scriptures by the Holy Spirit. Since prophecy isn't about fortune telling the future, but about forth telling the plans and purposes of God....what new revealed plan or purpose is God working in the world that he hasn't already completed in Christ? Again, the Spirit uses teachers today to expound on the fullness of the revelation we already have.

Show me the gift of bona-fide miracles (gift...not some one time occurrence that happened a decade ago as a church-wide answer to prayer) in your local church and Ill take seriously the claim that there is new revelation being audibly spoken to a prophet there as well.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Wormwood said:
Deborah,

I think if you take a moment to imagine a small church hundreds of miles separated from Paul that he started after a couple day visit...with no Bibles, no scrolls, no eyewitnesses or even other people who had heard stories about Jesus...I think it becomes easier to understand how NT prophets worked. They received revelation from God about what God had done through Christ.
With all respect, that doesn't describe the church at Corinth. Paul had spent eighteen months there, and the church contained many members of Jewish background (including two former synagogue leaders, Crispus and Sosthenes) who were very familiar with the Jewish Scriptures, even if they didn't possess any scrolls of their own.

And the only records of NT prophecies that we have (from Agabus) are not on the subject of "what God has done through Christ" - so on what are you basing that assertion?

In fact, in the first letter to the Corinthians, Paul declares, “Did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached? If anybody thinks he is a prophet or spiritually gifted, let him acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord’s command. If he ignores this, he himself will be ignored.” (1 Corinthians 14:36–38, NIV84)

Think about these verses for a minute. Paul is saying that these prophecies they are receiving did not originate with them. They started with others and God is speaking to these prophets words that he has already spoken to others that have passed it on. In fact, Paul declares that if someone claims they are a prophet but do not recognize what Paul is saying is coming from God, then they are to be ignored.
But does 'the word of God' in this context refer to the prophecies? Were NT prophecies ever considered to be 'the word of God' without qualification? I don't think so - because they were to be tested and weighed against the word of God that was already known, because it had been preached to them.
Surely Paul is saying that the Gospel didn't originate with them - and they need to keep in line with other churches on the way they deal with the spiritual gifts. (Throughout chapters 11-14 of the letter, Paul keeps referring them to the 'traditions' and to common Christian practice.)
And anyone with any spiritual gift (not just prophecy) needs to recognise Paul's apostolic authority.

The message was clear and the gifts were used to build the local church up in love and knowledge of Jesus Christ. God did miraculous things in the early church to validate the message and to establish the message of the Apostles and prophets as true...through signs and wonders.
Here I agree with you. And still today, the gifts of the Spirit are most in evidence in groundbreaking churches, where the Gospel needs validation in the face of opposition.

By your rationale, Agabus foretold of a famine. Paul raised the dead. Peter walked on water. John healed a leper. Those things happened in the first century and 1 Corinthians speaks of miracles. So if there are prophets in your church, where are the miracle workers? How many dead have been raised? How many blind have been given sight. After all, these signs confirm the message of the prophets. So many who argue they are prophets have not problem saying that miracle working isn't very prominent or needed today, but get offended if someone says prophecy isn't needed today. Seems strange to me.
No, the signs didn't 'confirm the message of the prophets'. They confirmed the preaching of the gospel by the apostles (II Corinthians 12:12, Hebrews 2:4). The gifts of the Spirit are for the building up of the local church. Agabus' messages were never confirmed by miracles, but only by the outworking of events.
Having said that, it's a fair question. Prophecies are much more common today than miracles, so why is that? And there are several possible answers. One could be cynical and point out that's much easier to make a statement that sounds vaguely spiritual than to actually perform a miracle (Mark 2:9). And in a lot of cases, I suspect that's true: such is the hunger for spiritual gifts in some circles, that people are encouraged to speak out any thought that comes into their minds and call it 'prophecy'. So there's an awful lot of dross, and relatively little gold.
But also, we've no idea what the overall situation was in the first century. Apart from the apostles and evangelists, how many believers then were performing miracles, and how many giving prophecies? Paul seems to envisage several prophecies being given during the course of a church meeting (I Corinthians 14:29-31), but there's no corresponding suggestion or expectation that two or three miracles should be performed! So maybe we're not as different from the early church as we think... Also, he seems to think that prophecy is far more important for the everyday life of a church than any of the more spectacular gifts (I Corinthians 14:1).

I still maintain that Jesus is the full revelation of God.
I absolutely agree
Since prophecy isn't about fortune telling the future, but about forth telling the plans and purposes of God....what new revealed plan or purpose is God working in the world that he hasn't already completed in Christ? Again, the Spirit uses teachers today to expound on the fullness of the revelation we already have.
Using that definition of prophecy, you would be right - but that's not how I would define the NT gift of prophecy. Paul says that "the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort" (I Corinthians 14:3) - and that's apparently something distinct from teaching (in Ephesians 4:11, prophets and teachers are different people). In the Internet age we probably don't need the 'famine prediction' type of prophecy that Agabus gave, but we still need strengthening, encouraging and comforting. At least, I do!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Again, the Spirit uses teachers today to expound on the fullness of the revelation we already have.
Crud, thats one trying to justify ones own existence. You cant each anyone anything. The nest you cna do is say," there is this man Jesus and thsi is what he did" it in the OT scriptures" . Teh Holyy Spirit is given to "all men" who believe to "reveal" give understanding, that is what revelation is.

General meaning "disclosure of facts" is attested from late 14c.; meaning "striking disclosure" is from 1862. As the name of the last book of the New Testament (Revelation of St. John), it is first attested late 14c. (see apocalypse); as simply Revelations, it is first recorded 1690s. revelation in the Bible Expand.

You cant give revelation to anyone

Mat_16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

and

Mat_11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Deborah_ said:
With all respect, that doesn't describe the church at Corinth. Paul had spent eighteen months there, and the church contained many members of Jewish background (including two former synagogue leaders, Crispus and Sosthenes) who were very familiar with the Jewish Scriptures, even if they didn't possess any scrolls of their own.

And the only records of NT prophecies that we have (from Agabus) are not on the subject of "what God has done through Christ" - so on what are you basing that assertion?

But does 'the word of God' in this context refer to the prophecies? Were NT prophecies ever considered to be 'the word of God' without qualification? I don't think so - because they were to be tested and weighed against the word of God that was already known, because it had been preached to them.
Surely Paul is saying that the Gospel didn't originate with them - and they need to keep in line with other churches on the way they deal with the spiritual gifts. (Throughout chapters 11-14 of the letter, Paul keeps referring them to the 'traditions' and to common Christian practice.)
And anyone with any spiritual gift (not just prophecy) needs to recognise Paul's apostolic authority.

Here I agree with you. And still today, the gifts of the Spirit are most in evidence in groundbreaking churches, where the Gospel needs validation in the face of opposition.

No, the signs didn't 'confirm the message of the prophets'. They confirmed the preaching of the gospel by the apostles (II Corinthians 12:12, Hebrews 2:4). The gifts of the Spirit are for the building up of the local church. Agabus' messages were never confirmed by miracles, but only by the outworking of events.
Having said that, it's a fair question. Prophecies are much more common today than miracles, so why is that? And there are several possible answers. One could be cynical and point out that's much easier to make a statement that sounds vaguely spiritual than to actually perform a miracle (Mark 2:9). And in a lot of cases, I suspect that's true: such is the hunger for spiritual gifts in some circles, that people are encouraged to speak out any thought that comes into their minds and call it 'prophecy'. So there's an awful lot of dross, and relatively little gold.
But also, we've no idea what the overall situation was in the first century. Apart from the apostles and evangelists, how many believers then were performing miracles, and how many giving prophecies? Paul seems to envisage several prophecies being given during the course of a church meeting (I Corinthians 14:29-31), but there's no corresponding suggestion or expectation that two or three miracles should be performed! So maybe we're not as different from the early church as we think... Also, he seems to think that prophecy is far more important for the everyday life of a church than any of the more spectacular gifts (I Corinthians 14:1).

I absolutely agree
Using that definition of prophecy, you would be right - but that's not how I would define the NT gift of prophecy. Paul says that "the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort" (I Corinthians 14:3) - and that's apparently something distinct from teaching (in Ephesians 4:11, prophets and teachers are different people). In the Internet age we probably don't need the 'famine prediction' type of prophecy that Agabus gave, but we still need strengthening, encouraging and comforting. At least, I do!
Yes, Paul was there for a long time. I was trying to illustrate the scenario using an extreme to help you understand the situation of many NT churches and how prophecy was used to "strengthen, encourage and comfort." Groups of believers had no NT, no eyewitnesses and no Apostles there to teach. The Spirit inspired the writing of the NT to teach, instruct and reveal to us God's work in Christ. Prior to that, Gods Spirit spoke through people to teach, instruct and reveal God's work in Christ. This would be needed even at a church that had an Apostle visit for a long period of time. It does seem that those gifts did not exist when Paul was there. He seems surprised and happy of hearing that they lacked no such gifts in his letter.

The NT prophets functioned like OT prophets. The only difference is that their revelation pertained to Christ, not Israel's destruction or Babylon's invasion due to the people's sin. Along with this forth-telling of God's word came revelation of events and times that validated their message. The OT makes it pretty clear that these predictions coming to pass revealed these prophets were sent by God and their message about God's desires and purposes were accurate.

Um, THE GOSPEL was the focus of their prophecy. It is the center piece of all God's plans and purposes for humanity. Why would it NOT be the focus of their prophecy? What else would they prophecy about, the weather?

Signs confirmed the message of prophets. I am speaking of the OT. Prophets are scarcely mentioned in the NT, so I draw my definitions and understanding of prophets from the teaching of the OT. I think it is a serious mistake to create a different definition for NT prophets than what we see in the OT. The definitions, expectations and purposes of "prophets" do not. change once we move from Malachi to Matthew. A prophet is a prophet. They tell of God's plan and revealed desires...and often predict events based on the audience's response or failure to respond. They heard either an audible voice or saw visions where God's speaking was undeniable and clear. They often made predictions or performed signs to validate their message (such as Moses in Egypt, or Daniel in Babylon, or Elijah or Elisha). They didn't, like these so-called prophets today, speak from their own imaginations and just trust that whatever they said was actually God speaking. They didn't try to put themselves on a pedestal, and they didn't try to fortune tell about future presidents, or whether a person would stumble onto sudden wealth or some nonsense.

Most prophets I have heard today stand up in front of the church and start making vague comments about this being the year of Jubilee or some such thing. Prophets spoke incredibly specifically and their message had a direct message from God that was a new revelation to the audience....every time.

Finally, I already cited a few texts that I believe show a transition from prophecy to teaching. And, the fact that Paul tells us that his message of Christ was the "whole will of God" and that in the "last days" God has spoken through Jesus whereas he "previously" spoke through prophets, all indicate that the arrival of Jesus changed how God communicates with the world. Not only that, but since we all have the Spirit of God and the Spirit has breathed out, inspired and preserved the NT Scriptures concerning this culminating work of God, I think it is safe to assume that God doesn't need to communicate through prophets any more just like he doesn't work through Apostles, or miracle workers who raise the dead and heal people with their handkerchiefs as a means of preaching or validating the Gospel message

Reactions: tabletalk

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think it is safe to assume that God doesn't need to communicate through prophets any more
Yes you are so right

Act_2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

and because of the holy spirit

1Jn_2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

If one has teh Holy Spirit one has the Teacher that God sent to all who are His, and He is all they need.