The ships of Chittim

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did a study a long time ago about the meanings of the names in the Bible.
Today I want to look at Javan.
In the book of Daniel, there is a verse regarding the "ships of Chittim"
Chittim is Kittim in Hebrew. I found Kittim is a son of Javan.
And so my study begins:

Gen 10:1 Now these are the generations of the sons of Noah,
Shem, Ham, and Japheth: and unto them were sons born after the flood.
Gen 10:2 The sons of Japheth; Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras.
Gen 10:3 And the sons of Gomer; Ashkenaz, and Riphath, and Togarmah.
Gen 10:4 And the sons of Javan; Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim.
Gen 10:5 By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

Noah: Noah = "rest"
The waters of Noah.. the flood.

Shem = "name"
the eldest son of Noah and progenitor of the Semitic tribes

Ham = "hot"
2nd son of Noah, father of Canaan and of various peoples which were inhabitants of southern lands
in late usage, a collective name for Egyptians

Japheth = "opened"
the 3rd son of Noah whose descendants after the flood settled on the coastal lands of the Mediterranean spreading north into Europe and parts of Asia

The sons of Japheth are those Gentile tribes that filled the lands of the coasts of the Mediterranean, into Europe and parts of Asia.

Gomer = "complete"
the eldest son of Japheth and grandson of Noah; the progenitor of the early Cimmerians and other branches of the Celtic family

Magog = "land of Gog"
the 2nd son of Japheth, grandson of Noah, and progenitor of several tribes northward from Israel
the mountainous region between Cappadocia and Media and habitation of the descendants of Magog, son of Japheth and grandson of Noah

Media or Medes or Madai = "middle land"
a people descended from the son of Japheth and who inhabited the territory of Media
land inhabited by the descendants of Japheth; located northwest of Persia proper, south and southwest of the Caspian Sea, east of Armenia and Assyria, and west and northwest of the great salt desert of Iram

Javan = "Ionia" or "Greece"
Greece, Ionia, Ionians
probably from the same as H3196; effervescing (i.e. hot and active);

Tubal = "thou shall be brought"
a region in east Asia Minor

Mesech or Meshech = "drawing out"
descendants of Mesech often mentioned in connection with Tubal, Magog, and other northern nations including the Moschi, a people on the borders of Colchis and Armenia

Tiras = "desire"
son of Japheth and grandson of Noah
"only says a northern nation"

next..

Reactions: WaterSong and Taken

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 10:4 And the sons of Javan; Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim.
Javan = "Ionia" or "Greece"
Greece, Ionia, Ionians
probably from the same as H3196; effervescing (i.e. hot and active) ;

Elishah = "God of the coming (one)"
descendant of Noah, son of Javan; perhaps ancestor of the Aeolians
The Aeolians (/iːˈoʊliənz/; Greek: Αἰολεῖς) were one of the four major tribes in which Greeks divided themselves in the ancient period (along with the Achaeans, Dorians and Ionians).
a region on the Mediterranean from whence purple was brought to Tyre.

Tarshish or Tharshish = "yellow jasper"
a city of the Phoenicians in a distant part of the Mediterranean Sea to which the prophet Jonah was trying to flee
site unknown but perhaps in Cyprus or Spain
a city somewhere near and accessible to the Red Sea to which ships constructed at Ezion-geber on the Elanitic Gulf on the Red Sea were to sail

Chittim or Kittim = "bruisers"
a general term for all islanders of the Mediterranean Sea
patrial from an unused name denoting Cyprus (only in the plural); a Kittite or Cypriote; hence, an islander in general, i.e. the Greeks or Romans on the shores opposite Palestine:—Chittim, Kittim.

Dodanim or Rodanim = "leaders"
sons or descendants of Javan
of the nations of Greeks.

From here I'm going to follow Kittim also Chittim..
These are from the nations of Greeks and Romans.

Dan 11:30 For the ships of Chittim shall come against him: therefore he shall be grieved, and return, and have indignation against the holy covenant: so shall he do; he shall even return, and have intelligence with them that forsake the holy covenant.

These are the Greek and Roman nations descended from Javan, descended from Japheth, the third son of Noah.

Next:

Reactions: Taken

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
patrial from an unused name denoting Cyprus (only in the plural); a Kittite or Cypriote; hence, an islander in general, i.e. the Greeks or Romans on the shores opposite Palestine:—Chittim, Kittim.

Greek and Roman Gentile Nations descended from Noah.

The next occurance of Chittim is when Balaam is told by Balak to prophecy against Israel. In which Balaam replies that he is only able to speak the words which the Lord gave him to speak.

Num 24:12 And Balaam said unto Balak, Spake I not also to thy messengers which thou sentest unto me, saying,
Num 24:13 If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the commandment of the LORD, to do either good or bad of mine own mind; but what the LORD saith, that will I speak?
Num 24:14 And now, behold, I go unto my people: come therefore, and I will advertise thee what this people shall do to thy people in the latter days.
This is that Prophecy:

Num 24:15 And he took up his parable, and said, Balaam the son of Beor hath said, and the man whose eyes are open hath said:
Num 24:16 He hath said, which heard the words of God, and knew the knowledge of the most High, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling into a trance, but having his eyes open:
Num 24:17 I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.
Num 24:18 And Edom shall be a possession, Seir also shall be a possession for his enemies; and Israel shall do valiantly.
Num 24:19 Out of Jacob shall come he that shall have dominion, and shall destroy him that remaineth of the city.

Num 24:20 And when he looked on Amalek, he took up his parable, and said, Amalek was the first of the nations; but his latter end shall be that he perish for ever.

Num 24:21 And he looked on the Kenites, and took up his parable, and said, Strong is thy dwellingplace, and thou puttest thy nest in a rock.
Num 24:22 Nevertheless the Kenite shall be wasted, until Asshur shall carry thee away captive.

Num 24:23 And he took up his parable, and said, Alas, who shall live when God doeth this!
Num 24:24 And ships shall come from the coast of Chittim, and shall afflict Asshur, and shall afflict Eber, and he also shall perish for ever.
Num 24:25 And Balaam rose up, and went and returned to his place: and Balak also went his way.

The next time Chittim is found is in the book of Isaiah Chapter 23.

next..

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah Chapter 23.
Isa 23:1 The burden of Tyre. Howl, ye ships of Tarshish; for it is laid waste, so that there is no house, no entering in: from the land of Chittim it is revealed to them.
This Chapter is to Tyre. In order to understand Tyre, I will have to retract and research the names to see what Chittim and Tyre have to do with each other in Isaiah Chapter 23.

Howl ye ships of Tarshish:
Tarshish is the 2nd son of Javan. The fourth son of Japheth. The third son of Noah.
a city of the Phoenicians in a distant part of the Mediterranean Sea to which the prophet Jonah was trying to flee
site unknown but perhaps in Cyprus or Spain
a city somewhere near and accessible to the Red Sea to which ships constructed at Ezion-geber on the Elanitic Gulf on the Red Sea were to sail

From the land of Chittim it is revealed to them.
NLT translation:
This message came to me concerning Tyre:
Weep, O ships of Tarshish,
for the harbor and houses of Tyre are gone!
The rumors you heard in Cyprus are all true.

Tyre or Tyrus = "a rock"
the Phoenician city on the Mediterranean coast
a rock; Tsor, a place in Palestine:—Tyre, Tyrus.

When Joshua brought the children of Israel into the promised land, they were to divide the land by lots as inheritances amongst the tribes.
There were 7 (seven) tribes who had not yet claimed their land. One of the tribes is Asher. And his land included the city of Tyre.

Asher = "happy"
son of Jacob and Zilpah
happy; Asher, a son of Jacob, and the tribe descended from him, with its territory; also a place in Palestine:—Asher

Jos 18:1 And the whole congregation of the children of Israel assembled together at Shiloh, and set up the tabernacle of the congregation there. And the land was subdued before them.
Jos 18:2 And there remained among the children of Israel seven tribes, which had not yet received their inheritance.

Jos 19:24 And the fifth lot came out for the tribe of the children of Asher according to their families.
Jos 19:25 And their border was Helkath, and Hali, and Beten, and Achshaph,
Jos 19:26 And Alammelech, and Amad, and Misheal; and reacheth to Carmel westward, and to Shihorlibnath;
Jos 19:27 And turneth toward the sunrising to Bethdagon, and reacheth to Zebulun, and to the valley of Jiphthahel toward the north side of Bethemek, and Neiel, and goeth out to Cabul on the left hand,
Jos 19:28 And Hebron, and Rehob, and Hammon, and Kanah, even unto great Zidon;
Jos 19:29 And then the coast turneth to Ramah, and to the strong city Tyre; and the coast turneth to Hosah; and the outgoings thereof are at the sea from the coast to Achzib:
Jos 19:30 Ummah also, and Aphek, and Rehob: twenty and two cities with their villages.
Jos 19:31 This is the inheritance of the tribe of the children of Asher according to their families, these cities with their villages.

This message came to me concerning Tyre:

Hiram is the King of Tyre:
2Sa 5:11 And Hiram king of Tyre sent messengers to David, and cedar trees, and carpenters, and masons: and they built David an house.

1Ki 9:10 And it came to pass at the end of twenty years, when Solomon had built the two houses, the house of the LORD, and the king's house,
1Ki 9:11 (Now Hiram the king of Tyre had furnished Solomon with cedar trees and fir trees, and with gold, according to all his desire,) that then king Solomon gave Hiram twenty cities in the land of Galilee.
1Ki 9:12 And Hiram came out from Tyre to see the cities which Solomon had given him; and they pleased him not.
1Ki 9:13 And he said, What cities are these which thou hast given me, my brother? And he called them the land of Cabul unto this day.

Cabul = "binding"
a city on the border of Asher and located approx 10 miles (16 km) east of Akko; modern 'Kabul'
a district in Galilee given by Solomon to Hiram and contemptuously called 'Cabul' by Hiram

In the book of Ezra, King Cyrus of Persia has given permission for Israel to rebuild the Temple.
The sixth (6th) son of Japheth son of Noah is Media or Medes which has it's Persian origens.
Media or Medes or Madai = "middle land"

Cyrus King of Persia, Gentile from the lineage of Noah. Will give permission to and money to Zidon and Tyre to rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem.
When the Temple was finished:

Ezr 3:12 But many of the priests and Levites and chief of the fathers, who were ancient men, that had seen the first house, when the foundation of this house was laid before their eyes, wept with a loud voice; and many shouted aloud for joy:
Ezr 3:13 So that the people could not discern the noise of the shout of joy from the noise of the weeping of the people: for the people shouted with a loud shout, and the noise was heard afar off.

next:

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The next tme Tyre is mentioned is in Nehemiah chapter 13.
Israel is slipping and following into the habits of the gentiles. They are exchanging marriages and have forsaken the Sabbath.
Nehemiah is very distraught:

Neh 13:15 In those days saw I in Judah some treading wine presses on the sabbath, and bringing in sheaves, and lading asses; as also wine, grapes, and figs, and all manner of burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the sabbath day: and I testified against them in the day wherein they sold victuals.
Neh 13:16 There dwelt men of Tyre also therein, which brought fish, and all manner of ware, and sold on the sabbath unto the children of Judah, and in Jerusalem.

Tarshish, origen Pheonicians, who's land included the city, Tyre, is conquered by Israel and alloted to Asher son of Jacob. Hiram King of Tyre helps to build both the House of David and the House of Solomon. He is given cities in Galilee and he isn't impressed.
Israel is captured by the Chaldeans and taken over by Babylon. And then came the reign of Cyrus King of Persia. He gives aid in helping Zidon and Tyre in rebuilding the second Temple.
In Nehemiah Israel is mingling and backsliding with the gentile nations.
He gives an account of his chastisement of them. And the book of Nehemiah ends here:
Neh 13:30 Thus cleansed I them from all strangers, and appointed the wards of the priests and the Levites, every one in his business;
Neh 13:31 And for the wood offering, at times appointed, and for the firstfruits. Remember me, O my God, for good.

Pheonicians or Tarshish which Tyre had it's origen:
Today part of: Turkey, Lebanon, Israel, Syria

Tyre is then found in the book of Psalms. 3 times they are mentioned before the prophecy in Isaiah chapter 23.

next..

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Thanks for all that but maybe you didn't read the OP? It's purpose was for feedback on my new grand-daughters name, Mazikeen, for advice as to how to respond and accept this name or protest against it. It was taken from a TV show, Lucifer and Mazikeen was a demon. She was born yesterday - gotta accept it and call her Mazi, or Serafina (her middle name) or just Princess.
@Ronald David Bruno Congrats. on the new granddaughter! It can be useful to do word and name studies in Scripture. When it comes to ppl's names today, there is a point in which ppl as they grow up are not bound by what names might originally have been perceived to mean; it's a life driven by prayer and the Scriptures that really counts. For example, if we have a Bible study on Wednesdays, the fact that Wednesday was originally - hundreds of years ago - Woden's day (referring to a Norse deity) does not mean we shouldn't have a Bible study on Wednesdays "in case" someone thinks we supposedly believe stuff about Norse legends, etc.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ronald David Bruno Congrats. on the new granddaughter! It can be useful to do word and name studies in Scripture. When it comes to ppl's names today, there is a point in which ppl as they grow up are not bound by what names might originally have been perceived to mean; it's a life driven by prayer and the Scriptures that really counts. For example, if we have a Bible study on Wednesdays, the fact that Wednesday was originally - hundreds of years ago - Woden's day (referring to a Norse deity) does not mean we shouldn't have a Bible study on Wednesdays "in case" someone thinks we supposedly believe stuff about Norse legends, etc.
I deleted my post. I was in error, I saw the OP and thought it was the one I started (same title) in another forum so I replied in error. Funny - jumpimg the gun, too much coffee or something?

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't realize there was another thread by the same name.
My appologies for adding to the confusion.
This study I'm working on is concerning the "ships of Chittim" found in the Prophecy in the book of Daniel.
In order to find out who they are I had to start with Noah.
I hope you enjoy the thread, as I've only just begun and have miles to go, and I need to eat, and I ran out of coffee, and the furnace guy came to check the propane heater, and, and ,and...

it's time for lunch!
HUGS

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I deleted my post. I was in error, I saw the OP and thought it was the one I started (same title) in another forum so I replied in error. Funny - jumpimg the gun, too much coffee or something?
I changed it..
sorry for the confusion.
HUGS

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tyre is then found in the book of Psalms. 3 times they are mentioned before the prophecy in Isaiah chapter 23.

Psalm 45 is a Song written to the sons of Korah. There is much to say about Korah so I will leave a link if one chooses to look into it more:
The Other Psalmists: Who Were the Sons of Korah?

Psa 45:9 Kings' daughters were among thy honourable women: upon thy right hand did stand the queen in gold of Ophir.
Psa 45:10 Hearken, O daughter, and consider, and incline thine ear; forget also thine own people, and thy father's house;
Psa 45:11 So shall the king greatly desire thy beauty: for he is thy Lord; and worship thou him.
Psa 45:12 And the daughter of Tyre shall be there with a gift; even the rich among the people shall intreat thy favour.

Mat 26:6 Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper,
Mat 26:7 There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat.
Mat 26:8 But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste?
Mat 26:9 For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor.
Mat 26:10 When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.
Mat 26:11 For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.
Mat 26:12 For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial.
Mat 26:13 Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached in the whole world, there shall also this, that this woman hath done, be told for a memorial of her.

Psa 45:17 I will make thy name to be remembered in all generations: therefore shall the people praise thee for ever and ever.

Bethany = "house of dates" or, "house of misery"
of Chaldee origin; date-house; Beth-any, a place in Palestine:—Bethany.
house of depression or misery
Lazarus..

next:

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dan 11:30 For the ships of Chittim shall come against him: therefore he shall be grieved, and return, and have indignation against the holy covenant: so shall he do; he shall even return, and have intelligence with them that forsake the holy covenant.
Isa 23:1 The burden of Tyre. Howl, ye ships of Tarshish; for it is laid waste, so that there is no house, no entering in: from the land of Chittim it is revealed to them.

The next Psalm, the 2nd of 3 is Psalm 83.
Psa 83:1 [[A Song or Psalm of Asaph.]] Keep not thou silence, O God: hold not thy peace, and be not still, O God.
Psa 83:2 For, lo, thine enemies make a tumult: and they that hate thee have lifted up the head.
Psa 83:3 They have taken crafty counsel against thy people, and consulted against thy hidden ones.
Psa 83:4 They have said, Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation; that the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance.
Psa 83:5 For they have consulted together with one consent: they are confederate against thee:
Psa 83:6 The tabernacles of Edom, and the Ishmaelites; of Moab, and the Hagarenes;
Psa 83:7 Gebal, and Ammon, and Amalek; the Philistines with the inhabitants of Tyre;
Psa 83:8 Assur also is joined with them: they have holpen the children of Lot. Selah.
Psa 83:9 Do unto them as unto the Midianites; as to Sisera, as to Jabin, at the brook of Kison:
Psa 83:10 Which perished at Endor: they became as dung for the earth.
Psa 83:11 Make their nobles like Oreb, and like Zeeb: yea, all their princes as Zebah, and as Zalmunna:
Psa 83:12 Who said, Let us take to ourselves the houses of God in possession.
Psa 83:13 O my God, make them like a wheel; as the stubble before the wind.
Psa 83:14 As the fire burneth a wood, and as the flame setteth the mountains on fire;
Psa 83:15 So persecute them with thy tempest, and make them afraid with thy storm.
Psa 83:16 Fill their faces with shame; that they may seek thy name, O LORD.
Psa 83:17Let them be confounded and troubled for ever; yea, let them be put to shame, and perish:
Psa 83:18That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

This Psalm is a song of Asaph. Asaph was a Levite scribe. He was the recorder in Israel.
Asaph = "gatherer"
collector; Asaph, the name of three Israelites, and of the family of the first:—Asaph.

The names of the enemies is what appears to me that is being collected.
Perhaps these are not written in the Lamb's book of Life.. or they are the Gentiles that a Light was sent to.
Let's find out who they are.

The houses or families of:
Edom = "red"
Edomite, Idumean - descendants of Esau
land of Edom, Idumea - land south and south east of Palestine
the elder twin-brother of Jacob; hence the region (Idumaea) occupied by him:—Edom, Edomites, Idumea.

Ishmaelite = see Ishmael "God will hear"
a descendant of Ishmael
Son of Abraham who's mother is Hagar

Moab = "of his father"
a son of Lot by his eldest daughter
water or seed, progeny of a father
the land inhabited by the descendants of the son of Lot

Hagarenes or Hagarites
Haggeri = "wanderer"
a people dwelling to the east of Palestine, with whom the tribes of Reuben made war in the time of Saul
a Hagrite or member of a certain Arabian clan:—Hagarene, Hagarite, Haggeri.
Fugitive

Gebal = "a boundary"
a mountainous area south of the Dead Sea
mountain
(thought: ye can say unto this mountain, be thou removed and cast into the sea.. Boundaries moved by faith)

Ammon = "tribal"
a people dwelling in Transjordan descended from Lot through Ben-ammi
tribal, i.e. inbred; Ammon, a son of Lot; also his posterity and their country:—Ammon, Ammonites

Amalek = "dweller in a valley"
son of Eliphaz by his concubine Timnah, grandson of Esau, and progenitor of a tribe of people in southern Canaan

Philistia = "land of sojourners"
the general territory on the west coast of Canaan or the entire country of Palestine
rolling, i.e. migratory; Pelesheth, a region of Syria:—Palestina, Palestine, Philistia, Philistines.

Tyre or Tyrus = "a rock"

next:

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The next Psalm, the 2nd of 3 is Psalm 83.

Asshur or Assyria = "a step"
the second son of Shem, eponymous ancestor of the Assyrians
the people of Assyria

Lot = "covering"
son of Haran and Abraham's nephew who settled in Sodom and was delivered from its destruction by God
A covering, a veil

Midian or Midianite = "strife"
son of Abraham by Keturah and progenitor of the tribe of Midianites or Arabians
the territory of the tribe descended from Midian; located principally in the desert north of the Arabian peninsula; land to which Moses went when he fled from Pharaoh

Sisera = "battle array"
the conquering general under king Jabin of Hazor and slain by Jael
ancestor of a family of temple slaves who returned from exile with Zerubbabel
Sisera, the name of a Canaanitish king and of one of the Nethinim:—Sisera.
"field of battle"

Jabin = "whom God observes"
a king of Hazor who organised a confederacy of the northern princes against Joshua; confederacy routed by the waters of Merom
another king of Hazor whose general, Sisera, was defeated by Barak
intelligent; Jabin, the name of two Canaanitish kings:—Jabin.

brook of Kishon = "winding"
a river in central Palestine; scene of the defeat of Sisera by the Israelites in the time of the judges and the destruction of the prophets of Baal by Elijah

En-dor = "fountain of Dor"
a place in the territory of Issachar yet possessed by Manasseh; located 4 miles (6.5 km) north of Tabor
place of residence of the spiritist consulted by king Saul
fountain of dwelling; En-Dor, a place in Palestine:—En-dor.

Oreb = "raven"
one of the chieftains of the Midianite army defeated by Gideon
a rock east of the Jordan where Oreb and part of his army fell to the Ephraimites
Oreb, the name of a Midianite and of the cliff near the Jordan:—Oreb.

Zeeb = "wolf"
one of the two princes of Midian mentioned in the conquest; brought to bay in a winepress
Zeeb, a Midianitish prince:—Zeeb.
evening wolves, those which go forth to prowl at evening.

Zebah = "deprived of protection"
one of the two kings of Midian who commanded the great invasion of Palestine and finally were defeated by Gideon
sacrifice; Zebach, a Midianitish prince:—Zebah.

Zalmunna = "deprived of protection"
a Midianite king slain by Gideon
shade/shadow has been denied; Tsalmunna, a Midianite:—Zalmunna.

Psa 83:1 [[A Song or Psalm of Asaph.]] Keep not thou silence, O God: hold not thy peace, and be not still, O God.
Psa 83:2 For, lo, thine enemies make a tumult: and they that hate thee have lifted up the head.
Psa 83:3 They have taken crafty counsel against thy people, and consulted against thy hidden ones.
Psa 83:4 They have said, Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation; that the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance.
Psa 83:5 For they have consulted together with one consent: they are confederate against thee:
Psa 83:6 The tabernacles of Edom, and the Ishmaelites; of Moab, and the Hagarenes;
Psa 83:7 Gebal, and Ammon, and Amalek; the Philistines with the inhabitants of Tyre;
Psa 83:8 Assur also is joined with them: they have holpen the children of Lot. Selah.
Psa 83:9 Do unto them as unto the Midianites; as to Sisera, as to Jabin, at the brook of Kison:
Psa 83:10 Which perished at Endor: they became as dung for the earth.
Psa 83:11 Make their nobles like Oreb, and like Zeeb: yea, all their princes as Zebah, and as Zalmunna:
Psa 83:12 Who said, Let us take to ourselves the houses of God in possession.
Psa 83:13 O my God, make them like a wheel; as the stubble before the wind.
Psa 83:14 As the fire burneth a wood, and as the flame setteth the mountains on fire;
Psa 83:15 So persecute them with thy tempest, and make them afraid with thy storm.
Psa 83:16 Fill their faces with shame; that they may seek thy name, O LORD.
Psa 83:17 Let them be confounded and troubled for ever; yea, let them be put to shame, and perish:
Psa 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

next:

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The 3rd Psalm that mentions Tyre: Psalm 87

Psa 87:1 [[A Psalm or Song for the sons of Korah.]] His foundation is in the holy mountains.
Psa 87:2 The LORD loveth the gates of Zion more than all the dwellings of Jacob.
Psa 87:3 Glorious things are spoken of thee, O city of God. Selah.
Psa 87:4 I will make mention of Rahab and Babylon to them that know me: behold Philistia, and Tyre, with Ethiopia; this man was born there.
Psa 87:5 And of Zion it shall be said, This and that man was born in her: and the highest himself shall establish her.
Psa 87:6 The LORD shall count, when he writeth up the people, that this man was born there. Selah.
Psa 87:7 As well the singers as the players on instruments shall be there: all my springs are in thee.

Philistia = "land of sojourners"
he general territory on the west coast of Canaan or the entire country of Palestine
rolling, i.e. migratory; Pelesheth, a region of Syria:—Palestina, Palestine, Philistia, Philistines.

Tyre or Tyrus = "a rock"

Ethiopia: Cush = "black"
the son of Ham and grandson of Noah and the progenitor of the southernmost peoples located in Africa
the peoples descended from Cush
a Benjamite mentioned only in the title of Ps 7
the land occupied by the descendants of Cush located around the southern parts of the Nile (Ethiopia)
Cush (or Ethiopia), the name of a son of Ham, and of his territory; also of an Israelite:—Chush, Cush, Ethiopia.

Rahab = "breadth"
storm, arrogance (but only as names)
mythical sea monster
emblematic name of Egypt
Rahab (i.e. boaster), an epithet of Egypt:—Rahab.
fierceness, insolence, pride.

Babel or Babylon = "confusion (by mixing)"
Babel or Babylon, the ancient site and/or capital of Babylonia (modern Hillah) situated on the Euphrates

Psa 87:6 The LORD shall count, when he writeth up the people, that this man was born there. Selah.

Zion = "parched place"
another name for Jerusalem especially in the prophetic books
Tsijon (as a permanent capital), a mountain of Jerusalem:—Zion.

Tyre = a rock
son of Javan, son of Japheth, 3rd son of Noah

next;

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sons of Noah:
Japheth = "opened"
the 3rd son of Noah whose descendants after the flood settled on the coastal lands of the Mediterranean spreading north into Europe and parts of Asia
The sons of Japheth are those Gentile tribes that filled the lands of the coasts of the Mediterranean, into Europe and parts of Asia.

Gen 9:24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
Gen 9:25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
Gen 9:26 And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
Gen 9:27 God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.

Act 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Act 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
Act 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
Act 2:9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
Act 2:10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
Act 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Asher son of Jacob who's inheritance in the promised land included the city of Tyre. Tyre was ruled by Haram, who helped David build the House of the Lord. That house had fallen to Babylon. Haram King of Tyre then helped Solomon build the second House of the Lord.
Solomon gave to Haram 20 cities in Galilee.
Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

Act 14:27 And when they were come, and had gathered the church together, they rehearsed all that God had done with them, and how he had opened the door of faith unto the Gentiles.

the Ships of Chittim
next:

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Balaam is told by Balak to curse Israel who is camping on Balak's borders.
Balaam tells Balak he can only speak what the Lord has put in his mouth to say.
This is that which Balaam spoke to Balak.

The ships of Chittim.

Num 24:12 And Balaam said unto Balak, Spake I not also to thy messengers which thou sentest unto me, saying,
Num 24:13 If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the commandment of the LORD, to do either good or bad of mine own mind; but what the LORD saith, that will I speak?
Num 24:14 And now, behold, I go unto my people: come therefore, and I will advertise thee what this people shall do to thy people in the latter days.
Num 24:15 And he took up his parable, and said, Balaam the son of Beor hath said, and the man whose eyes are open hath said:
Num 24:16 He hath said, which heard the words of God, and knew the knowledge of the most High, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling into a trance, but having his eyes open:
Num 24:17 I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.
Num 24:18 And Edom shall be a possession, Seir also shall be a possession for his enemies; and Israel shall do valiantly.
Num 24:19 Out of Jacob shall come he that shall have dominion, and shall destroy him that remaineth of the city.
Num 24:20 And when he looked on Amalek, he took up his parable, and said, Amalek was the first of the nations; but his latter end shall be that he perish for ever.
Num 24:21 And he looked on the Kenites, and took up his parable, and said, Strong is thy dwellingplace, and thou puttest thy nest in a rock.
Num 24:22 Nevertheless the Kenite shall be wasted, until Asshur shall carry thee away captive.
Num 24:23 And he took up his parable, and said, Alas, who shall live when God doeth this!
Num 24:24 And ships shall come from the coast of Chittim, and shall afflict Asshur, and shall afflict Eber, and he also shall perish for ever.
Num 24:25 And Balaam rose up, and went and returned to his place: and Balak also went his way.

Balak = "devastator"
a king of Moab who hired Balaam to curse Israel
waster; Balak, a Moabitish king:—Balak.
empty, void

Moab = "of his father"
a son of Lot by his eldest daughter
the land inhabited by the descendants of the son of Lot
from (her [the mother's]) father; Moab, an incestuous son of Lot; also his territory and descendants:—Moab.
water, seed

Seth = "compensation"
the 3rd son of Adam by Eve
substituted; Sheth, third son of Adam:—Seth, Sheth.
buttock
placing, setting, in the stead of another.
seat of body, buttocks
seat of tumult
tumult:—Sheth.

Edom = "red"
Edomite, Idumean - descendants of Esau
Edom, the elder twin-brother of Jacob; hence the region (Idumaea) occupied by him:—Edom, Edomites, Idumea

Seir = "hairy" or "shaggy"
patriarch of the Horites, the inhabitants of Edom before the descendants of Esau, the Edomites
formed like; rough; Seir, a mountain of Idumaea and its aboriginal occupants, also one in Palestine:—Seir.

Israel = "God prevails"
he will rule as God; Jisraël, a symbolical name of Jacob; also (typically) of his posterity:—Israel.
contender, soldier of God.

Jacob = "heel holder" or "supplanter"
heel-catcher (i.e. supplanter); Jaakob, the Israelitish patriarch:—Jacob.

Amalek = "dweller in a valley"
son of Eliphaz by his concubine Timnah, grandson of Esau, and progenitor of a tribe of people in southern Canaan

Kenite = "smiths"
the tribe from which the father-in-law of Moses was a member and which lived in the area between southern Palestine and the mountains of Sinai

Asshur or Assyria = "a step"
the second son of Shem, eponymous ancestor of the Assyrians
the people of Assyria

ship
dryness, a dry region, a desert, an inhabitant of a desert
a dry place in the midst of waters
erecting, setting up, ie: a column
a fixture

the descendants of Javan, the son of Japheth and grandson of Noah
the Greeks or Romans on the shores opposite Palestine:—Chittim, Kittim.

Eber or Heber = "the region beyond"
son of Salah, great grandson of Shem, father of Peleg and Joktan
region on the other side, situated across a stream, or the sea.
Gen 10:25 And unto Eber H5677 were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother's
name was Joktan.

next:

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The ships of Chittim
ships: dryness, dry places in the midst of waters of Chittim: Greeks and Romans.

Dan 11:29 At the time appointed he shall return, and come toward the south; but it shall not be as the former, or as the latter.
Dan 11:31 And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate.
Dan 11:32 And such as do wickedly against the covenant shall he corrupt by flatteries: but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits.
Dan 11:33 And they that understand among the people shall instruct many: yet they shall fall by the sword, and by flame, by captivity, and by spoil, many days.
Dan 11:34 Now when they shall fall, they shall be holpen with a little help: but many shall cleave to them with flatteries.
Dan 11:35 And some of them of understanding shall fall, to try them, and to purge, and to make them white, even to the time of the end: because it is yet for a time appointed.

Jhn 11:45 Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him.
Jhn 11:46 But some of them went their ways to the Pharisees, and told them what things Jesus had done.
Jhn 11:47 Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we? for this man doeth many miracles.
Jhn 11:48 If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation.
Jhn 11:49 And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all,
Jhn 11:50 Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
Jhn 11:51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;
Jhn 11:52 And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.
Jhn 11:53 Then from that day forth they took counsel together for to put him to death.
Jhn 11:54 Jesus therefore walked no more openly among the Jews; but went thence unto a country near to the wilderness, into a city called Ephraim, and there continued with his disciples.
Jhn 11:55 And the Jews' passover was nigh at hand: and many went out of the country up to Jerusalem before the passover, to purify themselves.
Jhn 11:56 Then sought they for Jesus, and spake among themselves, as they stood in the temple, What think ye, that he will not come to the feast?
Jhn 11:57 Now both the chief priests and the Pharisees had given a commandment, that, if any man knew where he were, he should shew it, that they might take him.

Jhn 12:20 And there were certain Greeks among them that came up to worship at the feast:
Jhn 12:21 The same came therefore to Philip, which was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him, saying, Sir, we would see Jesus.
Jhn 12:22 Philip cometh and telleth Andrew: and again Andrew and Philip tell Jesus.
Jhn 12:23 And Jesus answered them, saying, The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified.

The ships of Chittim Greeks and Romans .. come to worship the Lord.

Who is Caiaphas?
Caiaphas = "as comely"
a high priest of the Jews appointed to that office by Valerius Gratus, governor of Judaea, after removal of Simon, son of Camith, A.D. 18, and was removed A.D. 36 by Vitellius, governor of Syria, who appointed Jonathan, son of Ananus (Annus, father-in-law of Caiaphas), his successor

Valerius Gratus was the Roman Prefect of Iudaea province under Tiberius from 15 to 26 CE. He succeeded Annius Rufus and was replaced by Pontius Pilate. The government of Gratus is chiefly remarkable for the frequent changes he made in the appointment of the high-priesthood.
kah-ee-af'-as; of Chaldee origin;

a stone, a rock; others more correctly equivalent to depression

Jhn 18:28 Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the passover.
Jhn 18:29 Pilate then went out unto them, and said, What accusation bring ye against this man?
Jhn 18:30 They answered and said unto him, If he were not a malefactor, we would not have delivered him up unto thee.
Jhn 18:31 Then said Pilate unto them, Take ye him, and judge him according to your law. The Jews therefore said unto him, It is not lawful for us to put any man to death:

malefactor: an evil doer, malefactor

Jhn 11:53 Then from that day forth they took counsel together for to put him to death.
Jhn 18:31 Then said Pilate unto them, Take ye him, and judge him according to your law. The Jews therefore said unto him, It is not lawful for us to put any man to death:

Dan 11:31 And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate.

They shall place...set in place..appoint...Caiaphas.

The ships of Chittim.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy Interesting subject....
So have you heard some preaching on this, maybe?
no,
I just followed the ships..
.. back to Noah..

Valerius Gratus was the Roman Prefect of Iudaea

The Roman province of Judea, sometimes spelled in its original Latin forms of Iudæa or Iudaea to distinguish it from the geographical region of Judea, incorporated the regions of Judea, Samaria and Idumea, and extended over parts of the former regions of the Hasmonean and Herodian kingdoms of Judea.

These are the Greek and Roman nations descended from Javan, descended from Japheth, the third son of Noah.

Hugs

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The ships of Chittim
ships: dryness, dry places in the midst of waters of Chittim: Greeks and Romans.

Dan 11:29 At the time appointed he shall return, and come toward the south; but it shall not be as the former, or as the latter.
Dan 11:32 And such as do wickedly against the covenant shall he corrupt by flatteries: but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits.
Dan 11:33 And they that understand among the people shall instruct many: yet they shall fall by the sword, and by flame, by captivity, and by spoil, many days.
Dan 11:34 Now when they shall fall, they shall be holpen with a little help: but many shall cleave to them with flatteries.
Dan 11:35 And some of them of understanding shall fall, to try them, and to purge, and to make them white, even to the time of the end: because it is yet for a time appointed.

Jhn 11:45 Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him.
Jhn 11:46 But some of them went their ways to the Pharisees, and told them what things Jesus had done.
Jhn 11:47 Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we? for this man doeth many miracles.
Jhn 11:48 If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation.
Jhn 11:49 And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all,
Jhn 11:50 Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
Jhn 11:51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;
Jhn 11:52 And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.
Jhn 11:54 Jesus therefore walked no more openly among the Jews; but went thence unto a country near to the wilderness, into a city called Ephraim, and there continued with his disciples.
Jhn 11:55 And the Jews' passover was nigh at hand: and many went out of the country up to Jerusalem before the passover, to purify themselves.
Jhn 11:56 Then sought they for Jesus, and spake among themselves, as they stood in the temple, What think ye, that he will not come to the feast?
Jhn 11:57 Now both the chief priests and the Pharisees had given a commandment, that, if any man knew where he were, he should shew it, that they might take him.

Jhn 12:20 And there were certain Greeks among them that came up to worship at the feast:
Jhn 12:21 The same came therefore to Philip, which was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him, saying, Sir, we would see Jesus.
Jhn 12:22 Philip cometh and telleth Andrew: and again Andrew and Philip tell Jesus.
Jhn 12:23 And Jesus answered them, saying, The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified.

The ships of Chittim Greeks and Romans .. come to worship the Lord.

Who is Caiaphas?
Caiaphas = "as comely"
a high priest of the Jews appointed to that office by Valerius Gratus, governor of Judaea, after removal of Simon, son of Camith, A.D. 18, and was removed A.D. 36 by Vitellius, governor of Syria, who appointed Jonathan, son of Ananus (Annus, father-in-law of Caiaphas), his successor

Valerius Gratus was the Roman Prefect of Iudaea province under Tiberius from 15 to 26 CE. He succeeded Annius Rufus and was replaced by Pontius Pilate. The government of Gratus is chiefly remarkable for the frequent changes he made in the appointment of the high-priesthood.
kah-ee-af'-as; of Chaldee origin;

a stone, a rock; others more correctly equivalent to depression

Jhn 18:28 Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the passover.
Jhn 18:29 Pilate then went out unto them, and said, What accusation bring ye against this man?
Jhn 18:30 They answered and said unto him, If he were not a malefactor, we would not have delivered him up unto thee.

malefactor: an evil doer, malefactor

They shall place...set in place..appoint...Caiaphas.

The ships of Chittim.

not sure if you have already mentioned Isaiah 33:20-24? Curious with your study if you have a perspective on: “Look upon Zion, the city of our solemnities: thine eyes shall see Jerusalem a quiet habitation, a tabernacle that shall not be taken down; not one of the stakes thereof shall ever be removed, neither shall any of the cords thereof be broken. [21] But there the glorious Lord will be unto us a place of broad rivers and streams; wherein shall go no galley with oars, neither shall gallant ship pass thereby. [22] For the Lord is our judge, the Lord is our lawgiver, the Lord is our king; he will save us. [23] Thy tacklings are loosed; they could not well strengthen their mast, they could not spread the sail: then is the prey of a great spoil divided; the lame take the prey. [24] And the inhabitant shall not say, I am sick: the people that dwell therein shall be forgiven their iniquity.”

Reactions: Ziggy