The Solution to the Problem of Messy Emotions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In full at:

The Solution for the Problem of Messy Emotions

King David, the author of many psalms, understood that pushing past our emotions is a problem. Pouring them out to God is the solution. David says, “Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge” (Psalm 62:8). David knew that the secret we’d need when dealing with all of our feelings — the good, the bad and the ugly — is taking them to our trustworthy God.

He alone holds the key to healthy emotions. God is our refuge, our protector and the safe place for all we feel.

The beautiful thing is that King David put this truth into practice. As I tried to put my counselor’s wisdom to work, I asked God for guidance. The Lord sent me to Psalm, and I’ve been reading and recording all the emotions included there. The variety and nuances are astounding. In just the first seven chapters of Psalm, I found: anger, agony, shame, blessedness, delight, distress, deception, dismay, disgrace, disillusionment, expectation, fear, guilt, hate, joy, love, mistrust, need, peace, reverence, shame, sorrow, security, trust, wrath and weakness.

David’s vivid use of language shows us that he processed the full gamut of his emotions, and those of others, with God. As I read, my list grows, and before I finish the book, I expect to have at least one emotion for every letter of the alphabet! David didn’t hold anything back, and he encourages us, too — modern readers who need his ancient wisdom — to pour out our hearts to God.

I’m stepping into the gift God offers, a safe space to process everything from joy to sorrow, and I invite you to come with me. There is no emotion God can’t handle, and there is no hurt beyond His healing. It’s only by sharing our feelings with God that we can step into a healthy emotional life. There our soul holds hands with our spirit and walks toward the kind of whole-person growth that brings God glory.

Lord, I’ve tried to grapple with my own emotions for far too long. I’ve struggled and stuffed, but now I want to pour them all out to you. Teach me to live an emotionally healthy life led by Your Spirit. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Amy Carroll

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Openness, transparency, honesty with God.

He already sees through and through us, there is no reason to hide anything! We can take all our shame and fear and start there, tell God about that, and ask for His help to get past it.

This is so important for me - if someone has messy emotions, I do! - to keep in mind, that being reconciled in Christ, regardless of me feelings, so my feelings don't separate me from God, no matter what I'm feeling!

I thing God made us so He can share in our lives with us, and these are our lives, so let God share with us!

Great post!

Much love!