The Spirit of Funk

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to build a foundation to this thread using three spiritual extremes... Again spiritual extremes, not mental doctrine...

1. Spiritual Light - Love, warmth, faith, hope, charity, joy, goodness, peace...
2. Spiritual Darkness - Hate, cold, fear, depression, sorrow, greed, evil, war...

I have defined the darkness as the opposite of light and have used opposite terms to describe the darkness. There is a third that is neither true light or true darkness, and that is the flesh...

3. The Flesh - Ego, sex, filth, witchcraft, anger, strife, divisions, heresies.

I have heard that the flesh and the devil are so akin that it is hard to discern between the two. I do not mean heresies as doctrinal, but a spirit of heresy whose motives are egocentrical. In other words, they are thinking of doctrine without the aid of the Holy Spirit and the ends are always cold.

“The Blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll.” - Muddy Waters

The blues also had another baby which is the genre called 'Funk.' We have the origins of the word 'funk from the African Kongo language, or Kikongo, which means, "Bad body odor."

So the word funk is definitely one not only to describe darkness, or spiritual despair, but also one of the flesh, and that of an unclean spirit.

In my Smith Wigglesworth devotions I have the following lines... "The difference between those being led by the Holy Spirit and those who are deceived by Satan is joy, gladness, and a good countenance instead of sadness, sorrow, and depression. Jesus comes with joy into the soul and lifts you higher and higher, it is the spirit who gives light. When satanic power begins to rule; then there is weariness, then people’s faces are like a tragedy, and then their eyes glare as though they have passed through a terrible trial. You are always right to test the spirits (1 John 4:1), if not you will be sure to be caught napping."

Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into. - 1 Peter 1:12

I believe not only God's angels desire to look into the word of God from the Holy Ghost sent from Heaven, but the devils angels as well....

Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them. And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. - Job 1:6-7

If there is a group of people gathered together for the express purpose of worshiping and hearing from God rest assured old slewfoot will be there also to mess with the council. And an evidence is a spirit of Funk... Stinking thinking if you will.

The Merrimac Pentecostal Holiness church, to which I belong, was long ago a revived and spiritual church. I just know that the devil would send people our way to disrupt the good spiritual services. One day while serving as a councilor at youth camp I made the comment about the 'devil in church people.' Oh! Says he! The devil cannot go against the blood of the lamb, and that man also tried to get me expelled from camp for saying such a thing.

Years later, while at camp meeting, that gentleman looked me up to personally apologize for the trouble he caused me. I have often wondered what kind of battle the poor man went through to understand that yes, the devil can operate through church people, and the ends are always spiritual darkness!

How to detect a spirit of funk (bad spiritual body odor)...

1. The 'whats wrong with the church bunch' can spread the funk
2. People who spread fear, despair, contention, flesh, and mess.
3. The spirit of Jezebel - Control, persecution, hatred, and domination
4. Unbelief- Talk about how the church is never going to break out of here!

Oh! Discern and beware of it! There were times in history that all of Europe was ate up with spiritual funk, to the extent that they were burning their brethren at stakes and drowning them in rivers!

nothead

Apr 2, 2014
rockytopva said:
I would like to build a foundation to this thread using three spiritual extremes... Again spiritual extremes, not mental doctrine...

1. Spiritual Light - Love, warmth, faith, hope, charity, joy, goodness, peace...
2. Spiritual Darkness - Hate, cold, fear, depression, sorrow, greed, evil, war...

I have defined the darkness as the opposite of light and have used opposite terms to describe the darkness. There is a third that is neither true light or true darkness, and that is the flesh...

3. The Flesh - Ego, sex, filth, witchcraft, anger, strife, divisions, heresies.

I have heard that the flesh and the devil are so akin that it is hard to discern between the two. I do not mean heresies as doctrinal, but a spirit of heresy whose motives are egocentrical. In other words, they are thinking of doctrine without the aid of the Holy Spirit and the ends are always cold.

“The Blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll.” - Muddy Waters

The blues also had another baby which is the genre called 'Funk.' We have the origins of the word 'funk from the African Kongo language, or Kikongo, which means, "Bad body odor."

So the word funk is definitely one not only to describe darkness, or spiritual despair, but also one of the flesh, and that of an unclean spirit.

In my Smith Wigglesworth devotions I have the following lines... "The difference between those being led by the Holy Spirit and those who are deceived by Satan is joy, gladness, and a good countenance instead of sadness, sorrow, and depression. Jesus comes with joy into the soul and lifts you higher and higher, it is the spirit who gives light. When satanic power begins to rule; then there is weariness, then people’s faces are like a tragedy, and then their eyes glare as though they have passed through a terrible trial. You are always right to test the spirits (1 John 4:1), if not you will be sure to be caught napping."

Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into. - 1 Peter 1:12

I believe not only God's angels desire to look into the word of God from the Holy Ghost sent from Heaven, but the devils angels as well....

Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them. And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. - Job 1:6-7

If there is a group of people gathered together for the express purpose of worshiping and hearing from God rest assured old slewfoot will be there also to mess with the council. And an evidence is a spirit of Funk... Stinking thinking if you will.

The Merrimac Pentecostal Holiness church, to which I belong, was long ago a revived and spiritual church. I just know that the devil would send people our way to disrupt the good spiritual services. One day while serving as a councilor at youth camp I made the comment about the 'devil in church people.' Oh! Says he! The devil cannot go against the blood of the lamb, and that man also tried to get me expelled from camp for saying such a thing.

Years later, while at camp meeting, that gentleman looked me up to personally apologize for the trouble he caused me. I have often wondered what kind of battle the poor man went through to understand that yes, the devil can operate through church people, and the ends are always spiritual darkness!

How to detect a spirit of funk (bad spiritual body odor)...

1. The 'whats wrong with the church bunch' can spread the funk
2. People who spread fear, despair, contention, flesh, and mess.
3. The spirit of Jezebel - Control, persecution, hatred, and domination
4. Unbelief- Talk about how the church is never going to break out of here!

Oh! Discern and beware of it! There were times in history that all of Europe was ate up with spiritual funk, to the extent that they were burning their brethren at stakes and drowning them in rivers!
Funky Town: Spirit of de DEVIL....

....Spirit of JESUS:

...the very JUMP and LEAP to do Shema. The circumcision of the HEART. The YONTOO to love God.

We think God is just given the Joy inexpressible? NO He gives the desire to love him back:

Deut 30

[SIZE=.75em]6 [/SIZE]And the Lord thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love theLord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.

Jer 31

[SIZE=.75em]31 [/SIZE]Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
[SIZE=.75em]32 [/SIZE]Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:
[SIZE=.75em]33 [/SIZE]But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
[SIZE=.75em]34 [/SIZE]And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

And this is the trad version of SHEKINAH radiance or light: Glory, light, the radiance of YHWH Elohim, the Cloud of Glory, the presence of God.

And this is darkness: FUNKY FUNK TOWN in the CITAH. Or somesuch gooberated gomer's gumpshuns I don't have to understand.

I ain't GOTTA understand DARKNESS do I??