The stupidest things I have ever heard were said by anti-Catholics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
yeh, it is strange.. you can have many intelligent conversations with... just anyone... fill in the blanks.

But the virulently anti-Catholic people, the ones who believe just ANYTHING that an anticatholic says... don't do any research to find out what the RCC really teaches, no study of history

Well.. no exaggeration... I cannot BELIEVE anyone over the age of 25 believes some of this nonsense... like the post i just read about how allegedly some Catholics believe the pope is GOD (or an equal with him)!!

I've been Catholic off/on all my life (very ON for the last couple decades) and NEVER met a Catholic who believed anything remotely like that. In fact, it is just the opposite. Many Catholics reject just about everything the Church teaches.. Tehy think they are SOO enlightened!

but anyway.. yeh, the stupidest things I have ever heard in my life come from the virulently anti-Catholic

not only stupid, but unbelievable

It's like some folks just have no shame... in making themselves look so egregiously ignorant, uneducated, bigoted...

weird... :blink:

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm anti-RCC and anti-EOC mostly because they teach doctrines that are:
(1) against Scripture, and (2) not found in Scripture.

One such is that some RCCs/EOCs pray to Mary and the saints.
And IMO, the church does not correct this grievous error.

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
Zachary said:
I'm anti-RCC and anti-EOC mostly because they teach doctrines that are:
(1) against Scripture, and (2) not found in Scripture.

One such is that some RCCs/EOCs pray to Mary and the saints.
And IMO, the church does not correct this grievous error.
not true

u just htink the RCC does

you've been brainwashed

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well Scalia,

no one here is anti catholic, ie no one here hates teh people, it is the religion - "catholism", that we despise because it opsoses God in everything it does, Now if you cant see that, than maybe you should look with your eyes open, As long as catholics come to promete their religion those who love Christ will stand up against it. There is no church on thsi earth made by man that is Goid, If you cannot understand that, well than, maybe it is time you found Jesus , and asked Him instead of relying on the "doctrines" of you church to fil lyour head with lies.

This bit

Mar 7:6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
Mar 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mar 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
Mar 7:9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

It is your choosing not His.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Catholicism also practices Levitical Law, where the people would confess their sins to the Priest, who would then offer up incense for their forgiveness. This is contrary to Christ, where upon his crucifixion, the curtain in the Temple was torn in half, no longer separating access to the Holy Place to just the High Priest. Jesus became our intercessor (Romans 8:34), so according to the new testament, we no longer need a Priest to gain access to God, Jesus became our High Priest, we pray directly to God through him, and not a memorized prayer in a dark booth to a priest.

B

brakelite

There is good sound logical and historic reasoning behind the perception that the popes are adulated way and beyond what is rightly due man. You will find this reasoning here...http://biblelight.net/Extravagantes.htm

Credere autem dominum Deum nostrum papam conditorem dictae dectretalis et istius, sic non potuisse statuere prout statuit, haereticum censeretur.

But to believe that our lord God the pope, the establisher of said decretal, and of this, could not decree, as he did decree, should be accounted heretical.

The above example is one of several sourced and explained at the above site. You stated scaliafan that people do not study or research history and what Catholics really teach....

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
mjrhealth said:
Well Scalia,

no one here is anti catholic, ie no one here hates teh people, it is the religion - "catholism", that we despise because it opsoses God in everything it does, Now if you cant see that, than maybe you should look with your eyes open, As long as catholics come to promete their religion those who love Christ will stand up against it. There is no church on thsi earth made by man that is Goid, If you cannot understand that, well than, maybe it is time you found Jesus , and asked Him instead of relying on the "doctrines" of you church to fil lyour head with lies.
how absolutely ignorant (and arrogant) and presumptuous!

you assume that I have not "found Jesus"

and of course, you have not only found Him but know everything about Him... certainly more than those stupid Catholics who know Zero

well, i guess u r better than me then... you should make it ot the highest level of Heaven, I am sure

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
Dan57 said:
Catholicism also practices Levitical Law, where the people would confess their sins to the Priest, who would then offer up incense for their forgiveness. This is contrary to Christ, where upon his crucifixion, the curtain in the Temple was torn in half, no longer separating access to the Holy Place to just the High Priest. Jesus became our intercessor (Romans 8:34), so according to the new testament, we no longer need a Priest to gain access to God, Jesus became our High Priest, we pray directly to God through him, and not a memorized prayer in a dark booth to a priest.
when Jesus healed those men, he told them to go to the Temple and present themselves to

whom?

the priests

So much for Jesus dispensing with the priesthood

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
how absolutely ignorant (and arrogant) and presumptuous!

you assume that I have not "found Jesus"

and of course, you have not only found Him but know everything about Him... certainly more than those stupid Catholics who know Zero

well, i guess u r better than me then... you should make it ot the highest level of Heaven, I am sure
If it is so presumptiuos, than why are you mad at me, if you where walking in the truth, you would have no reason to be mad at anyone, because if you where in Christ you would be free, but everything you write says you are not. As for Jesus, we all have the choice to walk with Him and to learn from Him, He isnt hiding from anyone, its just that people are hiding from Him, like Adam and eve, see themselves naked and so hide from God. We are all given teh same spirit in Christ, it it our choice as to wheter we use Him or not. Like I said, why dont you ask Him, he is the truth and in Him theer is no lie.??

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
when Jesus healed those men, he told them to go to the Temple and present themselves to

whom?

the priests

What you may not ralise, but in those days there was a sacrifice to be paiid

Mat_8:4 And Jesus saith unto him, See thou tell no man; but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

JEsus came to fullfill teh law, and so He kept it. That was all done away with at the cross. Seems your church has not taulght you what God achieved on that day by ur Lords sacrifice. You could ask Jesus, if you really want to know??

B

brakelite

And thus was the very root of Luther's 90 something edicts...indulgences...which deny the efficacy of the death of the Savior. Indulgence pre-suppose that we must in the after life still undergo temporal punishment for sins commited in this life...a theory which utterly does away with the whole concept of forgiveness. That Protestants are entertaining the idea that ecumenism is a good idea and thus returning to Rome a logical conclusion to what many claim now a redundant protest, are to be quite frank, mad.
Is not 2016 to be a special indulgence year for Catholics, that by doing some special work they can redeem themselves from time in purgatory? Not only does this amply demonstrate the salvation by works paradigm of Catholicism, but the blatant blasphemy that utterly destroys the entire concept of the sacrifice offered by Christ at Calvary.
You are correct Scaliafan in one thing...many many non-Catholics are indeed ignorant of Catholic teaching and theology. If they weren't so ignorant, they wouldn't make so many idiotic claims that Rome has changed and become more Biblical, or such stupid statements like 'Catholics and Protestants have more in common now than ever and can unite because their difference aren't so important'.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
ScaliaFan said:
The Levitical priesthood was in place to fulfill the temple duties in the Old Covenant. That Covenant ended when Christ died. The sacrificial duties of priest ended on the cross, the veil in the Temple was torn in half giving everyone access to the sanctuary through Christ. The Aaronic Priesthood duties are no longer required, there is no temple, alter, sacrifice, etc. "The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec" (Hebrews 7)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
he veil in the Temple was torn in half giving everyone access to the sanctuary through Christ.
Actually teh veil was torn in two so God could come out. It is, as you say, By Jesus that we have acccess to God, who no longer dwells in the Holy Of Holies once a year. we now have access to God by Jesus every moment of every day, which is why, even today, some have heavenly experiences. Nice place to visit. Be glad when im permnently there.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ScaliaFan said:
yeh, it is strange.. you can have many intelligent conversations with... just anyone... fill in the blanks.

But the virulently anti-Catholic people, the ones who believe just ANYTHING that an anticatholic says... don't do any research to find out what the RCC really teaches, no study of history

Well.. no exaggeration... I cannot BELIEVE anyone over the age of 25 believes some of this nonsense... like the post i just read about how allegedly some Catholics believe the pope is GOD (or an equal with him)!!

I've been Catholic off/on all my life (very ON for the last couple decades) and NEVER met a Catholic who believed anything remotely like that. In fact, it is just the opposite. Many Catholics reject just about everything the Church teaches.. Tehy think they are SOO enlightened!

but anyway.. yeh, the stupidest things I have ever heard in my life come from the virulently anti-Catholic

It's like some folks just have no shame... in making themselves look so egregiously ignorant, uneducated, bigoted...

-
Why is it important to know when the church for this age of grace started?
-
If we think that the church for this age started with Peter on the day of Pentecost then we must consider that Peter was still a Jew, speaking to Jews, going to the Jewish Temple to worship and that he still wanted to keep the Law of Moses when he told God he did not want to eat anything unclean and that his going to the house of a Gentile would make him unclean.
-
In other words he considered himself to still be under the Jewish law. No where in his preaching on the day of Pentecost did he indicate that no one was under the Law of Moses. Therefore if the church started with Peter’s preaching on the day of Pentecost, then the church started under the Law of Moses, not grace, and Paul’s gospel was a heresy.
-
In addition, the scriptures state the gospel of grace that was given to Paul had been hidden in God and was now revealed to Paul. Therefore, the gospel of grace was not given to mankind until Paul preached it.
-
Therefore a person has to choose whether he is in a church started under the law of Moses or a church that started under grace the day Paul, preached the gospel of grace. You can’t have it both ways. You can’t mix law and grace without destroying them both and, in my opinion, that is just what most of the churches of today are doing.
-
According to the scriptures the world will be judged according to Paul’s gospel (not Peter‘s). That is why it is important to know when your church started.
-
Supporting scripture:
-
Acts 2:46
46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart,
NKJV
-
Acts 3:1
3 Now Peter and John went up together to the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth hour.
NKJV
-
Acts 3:6-8
6 Then Peter said, "Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk."
7 And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.
8 So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them — walking, leaping, and praising God.
NKJV
-
Acts 5:25
25 So one came and told them, saying, "Look, the men whom you put in prison are standing in the temple and teaching the people!"
NKJV
-
Acts 5:41-42
41 So they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for His name.
42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus AS the Christ.
NKJV

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
Dan57 said:
So what are we to make of John 20:21–23?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So what are we to make of John 20:21–23?
They where sent by Christ, that is what one can make of it. A priest or pastor can no more forgive sins than you or me, and since Christ already paid the price, doing pennace is just adding to the price he paid as if it was not enough already. All about works and the flesh. I can forgive those who sin against me, and in fact it is required of us all, i can even pray for the Lord to forgive others, that is something we can all do, but only those whom He Sends" and are given the authorty can do other wise. And since the diciples I know of none.

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
What are we to make of James 5:16?

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
brakelite said:
The above example is one of several sourced and explained at the above site. You stated scaliafan that people do not study or research history and what Catholics really teach....
You are equating what one Pope wrote with what the RCC teaches or accepts as infallible doctrine.

If we were to base who to read and believe in Christian history based on your logic (or lack thereof) then Peter, who denied Jesus three times and was called satan, and Paul, who physically attacked Christians because of their belief, their writings would be disqualified from the bible.

But then once again only brakelite is infallible and knows the truth? The RCC nor any other Church can be right...especially the RCC.

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
Dan57 said:
How do we translate II Cor. 2:10?

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
ScaliaFan said:

I do not understand the attacks on my Christian brothers (Catholics).

The only questions I have for those that attack Catholics on this forum is:

If no one has the authority to interpret and enforce the "truth" (call a heretic or a schismatic what it is) of the bible then doesn't that mean there is no truth in the bible? According to Protestantism we can all interpret scripture any way we want and NO ONE has the authority to tell us we are wrong . How ludicrous, illogical and unbiblical is that?

What makes your infallible interpretation of scripture right and the RCC interpretation wrong?

HOW do you know you are right and the RCC is wrong? Are you infallible?

The word catholic was first used to describe the Christian faith 1900 years ago. The first reference to the Catholic Church was used over 1600 years ago by Augustine when he said, The very name of Catholic, which, not without reason, belongs to this Church alone, in the face of so many heretics, so much so that, although all heretics want to be called Catholic, when a stranger inquires where the Catholic Church meets, none of the heretics would dare to point out his own basilica or house".

The Catholic Church is CLEARLY, according to historical records, the oldest Christian Church on the planet. If any church has the right to call itself the 1st Christian Church.....it is the Catholic Church. Which is why they get attacked so much....everyone wants to take down the biggest dog on the block even if it means attacking a fellow Christian. How sad and how much more anti-Christ can you get than that?