The Sun and moon symbolism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Gen 1:16 appears to refer to the moon. If we were to apply symbolism to it what would it be?

The sun is a greater light and the moon a lesser light. For a while I thought this symbolic of Christ as the sun, and Satan as the moon. It would fit several things, but it requires seeing Satan as a lesser light, but you can view Satan as a false light.

We know that the moon reflects the sun. So it may be that we should consider the moon as a representation of the church.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 1:16 appears to refer to the moon. If we were to apply symbolism to it what would it be?

The sun is a greater light and the moon a lesser light. For a while I thought this symbolic of Christ as the sun, and Satan as the moon. It would fit several things, but it requires seeing Satan as a lesser light, but you can view Satan as a false light.

We know that the moon reflects the sun. So it may be that we should consider the moon as a representation of the church.
I knew a fellow on a forum, "Be the Moon". And of course his tagline was Reflect the Son. It should be interesting to see where this goes!

:)

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't see why both analogies can't be used. James used it in the former sense, of the moon representing Satan, whose "light" shines in the spiritual night, and with the shadow of turning (James 1:16-17). In a sense, Lucifer did reflect the light of the Father in the beginning. He was glorious on the day he was created. But now he only reflects that light to deceive, and lead men astray into the darkness.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 19:4 KJV
[4] Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
It’s in reference to Israel.

Reactions: marks

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I agree.

Here's what Jesus had to say in the book of Matthew.

Matthew 5:14-16
“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I agree.

Here's what Jesus had to say in the book of Matthew.

Matthew 5:14-16
“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

Also in John 8:12

Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP, the symbolism of the Sun and the Moon are used in contrast to each other, not only in size, but in illumination to repersent several things. but this is done in the the context of the scriptures for symbolism, example. Revelation 12:1 "And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:"

here, the sun, the Gospel of Jesus the Christ, a greater Light, (superior), in contrast to the Moon, (the Mosaic Law), which was a dim/lesser light. supportive scripture, Psalms 119:105 "NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

old Israel walk, or live by a dim light, meaning a narrow look, but the Gospel, the Sun, lights or in illumination, greater, one can see all things.

Genesis 1:16 is a great example of this... being our Lord, he is the "DAY STAR" who bring illumination or KNOWLEDGE and UNDERSTANDING into our lives. Genesis 1:18 states to "RULE", "And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good." Light and darkness is a contrast of Good and Evil. so which will "RULE" in our hearts.

this is just a couple of example, but there are many more.

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So it may be that we should consider the moon as a representation of the church.
We need to connect this symbolism to the moon: And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars: (Rev 12:1)

The woman is generally regarded (outside the Catholic Church) as a representation of redeemed Israel. Clothed with the sun would mean clothed with the righteousness of Christ, who is also called "the Sun of Righteousness" (Mal 4:2). The twelve stars represent the twelve tribes of Israel.

So if the moon is under her feet the moon would represent the saved nations surrounding redeemed and restored Israel under Christ. All those nations will be subservient to Israel.

Arise and thresh, O daughter of Zion: for I will make thine horn iron, and I will make thy hoofs brass: and thou shalt beat in pieces many people: and I will consecrate their gain unto the LORD, and their substance unto the Lord of the whole earth. (Micah 4:13)

Reactions: marks and lforrest

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Referred to many times in the Bible for signs and dates. It is also a calendar for all the Jewish fest days.
Pomp.

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
SUN = FATHER
MOON = MOTHER
STARS = CHILDREN

Genesis 37:9
"And he dreamed yet another dream, and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance to me."

Perhaps an even more accurate interpretation of the Sun, Moon, and Star symbols is that they are representative of 'Seed'.

The Woman clothed with the Sun is therefore a representation of the Seed of the Woman (Moon) being fertilized by Abraham's Seed (Clothed with the Sun). In other words, Revelation 12:1 is a picture of the Moment of Conception inside the Womb of Sarah.

The Dragon tries to corrupt the Seed (like in the Garden), but to no avail.

Sarah's Crown of Stars are the future Children (Twelve Tribes) about to be conceived.

We can expand on this here...

Revelation 12:4
"And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born."

Stars falling to Earth are Children about to be conceived in the Womb.

The same theme is found here...

Revelation 6:12
"And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood"

The Sun (Male Seed) turning to sackcloth and Moon (Female Seed) becoming blood is another picture of the Moment of Conception.

Here come the children...

Revelation 6:13
"And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind."

You folks can figure out what the Fig represents from here.

;)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
. Revelation 12:1 "And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:"

here, the sun, the Gospel of Jesus the Christ, a greater Light, (superior), in contrast to the Moon, (the Mosaic Law), which was a dim/lesser light. supportive scripture, Psalms 119:105 "NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

Actually 101, I think the Lord is comparing the sun to the Father here, and the moon to the Devil under her (Israel's) feet. When the scripture speaks of the righteous being "clothed," it speaks of them being spiritually clothed in the Spirit (Romans 13:14; 2 Corinthians 5:3). Thus, to be clothed in the sun is to be clothed in the glory of the father, and this is what Israel was. The glory of God descended upon Mt. Sinai, and rested upon Moses, and His presence was in Israel's midst. The Devil being under her feet is likely an allusion back to the promise made to the woman in the garden, whose seed would crush the head of the serpent underfoot. The Revelation passage deals with the birth of that Seed; Christ Jesus our Lord.

God bless,
HiH

Last edited:
Reactions: pompadour

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We need to connect this symbolism to the moon: And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars: (Rev 12:1)

The woman is generally regarded (outside the Catholic Church) as a representation of redeemed Israel. Clothed with the sun would mean clothed with the righteousness of Christ, who is also called "the Sun of Righteousness" (Mal 4:2). The twelve stars represent the twelve tribes of Israel.

Ah. Didn't read this before responding. We disagree on the moon, but agree on this part right here.

God bless.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I see Gen.1:1 as God's original creation, a perfect creation. But Gen.1:2 as a destruction by a flood over the earth.

Gen 1:5
5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
KJV

Gen 1:13-18
13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.
14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
KJV

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually 101, I think the Lord is comparing the sun to the Father here, and the moon to the Devil under her (Israel's) feet. When the scripture speaks of the righteous being "clothed," it speaks of them being spiritually clothed in the Spirit (Romans 13:14; 2 Corinthians 5:3). Thus, to be clothed in the sun is to be clothed in the glory of the father, and this is what Israel was. The glory of God descended upon Mt. Sinai, and rested upon Moses, and His presence was in Israel's midst. The Devil being under her feet is likely an allusion back to the promise made to the woman in the garden, whose seed would crush the head of the serpent underfoot. The Revelation passage deals with the birth of that Seed; Christ Jesus our Lord.

God bless,
HiH
first thanks for the reply, second, being clothed in the Sun/Son is in symbolism in contrast to the Moon/Law at the woman/the remmant of Israel Feet. again. Psalms 119:105 "NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." see the Law was a light but in shadow, as the moon is in the shadow of the sun. Israel walked by a dim light... or in shadow of the Gospel that was to come. the Law (moon), here in symbolism is of the Greater light to come. just as the gospel is superior to the law, so is the sun, for the Gospel is Jesus Christ, who clothed our nakedness in his righteousness, for he is called the sun of righteousness. Revelation 3:18 "I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see."

but if you see it that way...

PICJAG

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
John 9:4-5
4 As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

Here we have Jesus making an analogy between himself and the light of day. As for being unable to work at night we have confirmation in John 15:5.

If the sun and moon exclusively refers to the gospel and law of moses then the above wouldn't fit as there was a work under the law. Deuteronomy 6:7

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Gen 1:3-5
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
KJV

I believe verse 4 above is about God making a division in the Heavenly dimension between His Abode and Satan's abode of hell. In Rev.12 we are shown Satan's place in the heavenly, but no doubt in a place of separation, like in Luke 16. The Hebrew for "heaven" in the first verse is actually plural, so with English translations to 'heaven' it's easy to forget that there's two separate dimensions of existence in God's creation. At this, I believe it's regarding the Heavenly dimension where God lives. But in the Gen.1:14-18 is about earthly dimension.

Last edited:
Reactions: lforrest

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 1:3-5
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
KJV

I believe verse 4 above is about God making a division in the Heavenly dimension between His Abode and Satan's abode of hell. In Rev.12 we are shown Satan's place in the heavenly, but no doubt in a place of separation, like in Luke 16. The Hebrew for "heaven" in the first verse is actually plural, so with English translations to 'heaven' it's easy to forget that there's two separate dimensions of existence in God's creation. At this, I believe it's regarding the Heavenly dimension where God lives. But in the Gen.1:14-18 is about earthly dimension.

not saying that you're right or wrong, but the division is KNOWLEDGE and WISDOM, vs IGNORANCE and DECEPTION. that I can agree on, for LIGHT here "TRANFERING" something in for verse 4. consider this, scripture, 1 John 1:7 "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."

the Light here is not speaking of Natural light, for the term "WALK" means to live. if we LIVE or act in God's knowledge we have uninterrupted fellowship with God. simple, so the opposit is true. if we live without knowing God we don't know how to behave or act or have fellowship with God. what's missing? I'll say later.

so in Genesis 1:4 the LIGTHT there is the KNOWLEDGE of God as to how he made all things. Light reveals, remove, as well as "TRANSFER" something.

the term "LIGHT" at Genesis 1:4 is
H216 אוֹר 'owr (ore) n-f.
1. illumination.
2. (concretely) luminary (in every sense, including lightning, happiness, etc.).
[from H215]
KJV: bright, clear, + day, light (-ning), morning, sun.
Root(s): H215

but in verses 14 & 215 "LIGHTS" in the plural is
H3974 מָאוֹר ma'owr (maw-ore') n-m.
מָאֹר ma'or (maw-ore')
מְאוֹרָה m'owrah (meh-o-raw') [feminine]
מְאֹרָה m'orah (meh-o-raw')
1. (properly) a luminous body or luminary.
2. (abstractly) light (as an element).
3. (figuratively) brightness, i.e.cheerfulness.
4. (specifically) a chandelier.
[from H215]
KJV: bright, light.

and only in verse 17 is the "LIGHT", singular, as in verse 4 is transferring it's contents. as with verse 4, Light when shining "tranfer" something. in the spirit, WISDOM, is the vehicle/LIGHT that tranfer, "KNOWLEDGE", and "UNDERSTANDING". simply put, the tranfer of INFORMATION.

LIGHT, as with physical light illuminates, as well as Wisdom illuminates the mind. so LIGHT is a tranfer of INFORMATION. it removes IGNORANCE, as physical light removes "DARKNESS"... and the spiritual Darkness is ignorance. so Light, reveals, and removes, and "TRANFER"

my supportive scriptures, 2 Corinthians 4:6 "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ."

and the apostle Peter, 2 Peter 1:19 "We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:"2 Peter 1:20 "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."2 Peter 1:21 "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."

so I believe the LIGHT in Genesis 1:4 ... is WISDOM that shine, and it seperates the KNOW@N form the Unknown, so no deception. THE "TRUTH" IS THE LIGHT, and the LIFE of men.

PICJAG

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
not saying that you're right or wrong, but the division is KNOWLEDGE and WISDOM, vs IGNORANCE and DECEPTION. that I can agree on, for LIGHT here "TRANFERING" something in for verse 4. consider this, scripture, 1 John 1:7 "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."

the Light here is not speaking of Natural light, for the term "WALK" means to live. if we LIVE or act in God's knowledge we have uninterrupted fellowship with God. simple, so the opposit is true. if we live without knowing God we don't know how to behave or act or have fellowship with God. what's missing? I'll say later.

so in Genesis 1:4 the LIGTHT there is the KNOWLEDGE of God as to how he made all things. Light reveals, remove, as well as "TRANSFER" something.

the term "LIGHT" at Genesis 1:4 is
H216 אוֹר 'owr (ore) n-f.
1. illumination.
2. (concretely) luminary (in every sense, including lightning, happiness, etc.).
[from H215]
KJV: bright, clear, + day, light (-ning), morning, sun.

but in verses 14 & 215 "LIGHTS" in the plural is
H3974 מָאוֹר ma'owr (maw-ore') n-m.
מָאֹר ma'or (maw-ore')
מְאוֹרָה m'owrah (meh-o-raw') [feminine]
מְאֹרָה m'orah (meh-o-raw')
1. (properly) a luminous body or luminary.
2. (abstractly) light (as an element).
3. (figuratively) brightness, i.e.cheerfulness.
4. (specifically) a chandelier.
[from H215]
KJV: bright, light.

and only in verse 17 is the "LIGHT", singular, as in verse 4 is transferring it's contents. as with verse 4, Light when shining "tranfer" something. in the spirit, WISDOM, is the vehicle/LIGHT that tranfer, "KNOWLEDGE", and "UNDERSTANDING". simply put, the tranfer of INFORMATION.

LIGHT, as with physical light illuminates, as well as Wisdom illuminates the mind. so LIGHT is a tranfer of INFORMATION. it removes IGNORANCE, as physical light removes "DARKNESS"... and the spiritual Darkness is ignorance. so Light, reveals, and removes, and "TRANFER"

my supportive scriptures, 2 Corinthians 4:6 "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ."

and the apostle Peter, 2 Peter 1:19 "We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:"2 Peter 1:20 "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."2 Peter 1:21 "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."

so I believe the LIGHT in Genesis 1:4 ... is WISDOM that shine, and it seperates the KNOW@N form the Unknown, so no deception. THE "TRUTH" IS THE LIGHT, and the LIFE of men.

PICJAG

You simply are not to be trusted.