The Tarry Service

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Many people may not have experienced the tarry service but I remember those times when we did. We would call it a "tarry service" or "Holy Ghost service" or "Fire Service" or simply "prayer service". Most would happen on Sunday evening, Friday evening, Saturday night or Wednesday night prayer services. Growing up in a Pentecostal-Holiness church we believed in intense prayer and laying before God for literally hours at the altar. We prayed for three things salvation, sanctification and the infilling aka Baptism of the Holy Spirit. We would tarry and say things like "Save me Jesus", "Fill me Jesus", "Fill me Holy Ghost", "Come Jesus", "Thank You Jesus", "Hallelujah Jesus", or even just "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" and "Sanctify me Lord", "Send Your Fire Lord" you get the general idea. One of the church mothers of wisdom would come and whisper in your ear while you were at the altar praying "Let Him have it" or "Give it all to Jesus" or "Jesus Loves you" and "Give it up" while another would come and say "Hold On!", "Call Him, Jesus", "Dont stop keep pressing in!". They didn't let you get up when you spoke in tongues they had to know that when you got up you had something and that you wouldn't leave the same way you came in! We believed in true holiness and sanctification more than just speaking in tongues! I remember people laying their cigarettes at the altar and never smoking again, drunks and alcoholics getting sober for good, demons cast out, bodies healed, people delivered and people getting saved by the biblicaly sound preaching! And the freedom of the Holy Spirit we would shout, fall out, roll, run, speak in tongues, prophecy given, prayer done intensely, dance and just be free in the Holy Spirit. The poor and rich would worship together and Jesus was the center of the service. We would make so much noise you could hear use miles almost from the church. It was just a great time of revival and holiness. I feel for this generation not experiencing those times as much as we did. But I also fault myself why did we allow the fire to dim out? Can anybody else testify to those days?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Yep!
We use to call them fire nights but the Church I frequented was not a "Holiness type" church just an ordinary Pentecostal denomination called Elim [a place of refreshing]. We would call a combined prayer meeting and invite all Churches to join in. They were awesome nights...Presbyterians and Baptists, AOG and Salvation Army, Episcopalian, Immanuel and Anglicans, all joining together in prayer and worship to God. Ohhh how the fire of God would fall!

Those were awesome times of blessings and break-through on all lines. :)

Shalom!

Reactions: IanLC

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
Many people may not have experienced the tarry service but I remember those times when we did. We would call it a "tarry service" or "Holy Ghost service" or "Fire Service" or simply "prayer service". Most would happen on Sunday evening, Friday evening, Saturday night or Wednesday night prayer services. Growing up in a Pentecostal-Holiness church we believed in intense prayer and laying before God for literally hours at the altar. We prayed for three things salvation, sanctification and the infilling aka Baptism of the Holy Spirit. We would tarry and say things like "Save me Jesus", "Fill me Jesus", "Fill me Holy Ghost", "Come Jesus", "Thank You Jesus", "Hallelujah Jesus", or even just "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" and "Sanctify me Lord", "Send Your Fire Lord" you get the general idea. One of the church mothers of wisdom would come and whisper in your ear while you were at the altar praying "Let Him have it" or "Give it all to Jesus" or "Jesus Loves you" and "Give it up" while another would come and say "Hold On!", "Call Him, Jesus", "Dont stop keep pressing in!". They didn't let you get up when you spoke in tongues they had to know that when you got up you had something and that you wouldn't leave the same way you came in! We believed in true holiness and sanctification more than just speaking in tongues! I remember people laying their cigarettes at the altar and never smoking again, drunks and alcoholics getting sober for good, demons cast out, bodies healed, people delivered and people getting saved by the biblicaly sound preaching! And the freedom of the Holy Spirit we would shout, fall out, roll, run, speak in tongues, prophecy given, prayer done intensely, dance and just be free in the Holy Spirit. The poor and rich would worship together and Jesus was the center of the service. We would make so much noise you could hear use miles almost from the church. It was just a great time of revival and holiness. I feel for this generation not experiencing those times as much as we did. But I also fault myself why did we allow the fire to dim out? Can anybody else testify to those days?

When I first got saved we has waiting meetings, Waiting to be baptised in the Holy Ghost, But I read in the Bible that the promised Holy Ghost came on the day of Pentecost, And now Peter says He, [The Holy Ghost] is a gift, And gifts are received by faith, So We don't have waiting meetings now, We have receiving meetings.

You was asking for things that God has already given you, Instead of receiving by faith.
Thank God he was gracious to you.

We have what we call "Holy Ghost services", Where anything can happen,
Joy laughter, healings, miracles, tongues and iterpretations, Prophecies, and visions.
But we do it as and when the Holy Ghost either tells us to, Or when He comes and moves that way.

Evert Church needs those kinds of meeting every now and again.

Reactions: IanLC

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I can attest to both of you all's experiences! We had some good ole church. Just to hear the corporate praise and worship without much instrumentation. We really believed in receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost by faith! We stressed tarrying which is just waiting for salvation (after the initial confession and belief in heart), sanctification and the infilling power of the precious Holy Ghost! Pure Church!

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
I can attest to both of you all's experiences! We had some good ole church. Just to hear the corporate praise and worship without much instrumentation. We really believed in receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost by faith! We stressed tarrying which is just waiting for salvation (after the initial confession and belief in heart), sanctification and the infilling power of the precious Holy Ghost! Pure Church!

We don't wait for salvation or the Baptism in the Holy Ghost, We received them by faith.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Oh yessir it is awesome!

We don't wait for salvation or the Baptism in the Holy Ghost, We received them by faith.
Yeah we do not do that now. Many churches have gotten away from the tarry service. As we have grown in the knowledge of the faith and matured in Jesus Christ we have learned that there is one critical component that was there in tarrying and in believing and that is faith! Now you do not have to tarry at the altar like we did but all you have to do is believe and ask for it in Jesus name and it shall be given the gift of Holy Ghost! WOW! Im getting excited now! Its just something about that inner abiding presence of the Holy Spirit!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love charismatic services, now. I found them to be uncomfortable, bordering on 'yikes, get me outta here!' when I was a new (1-3 years) Christian. Alter calls / charismatic services can come across as manipulative to many new believers - I tend to think of it as 'meat' rather than 'milk', just my opinion.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I love charismatic services, now. I found them to be uncomfortable, bordering on 'yikes, get me outta here!' when I was a new (1-3 years) Christian. Alter calls / charismatic services can come across as manipulative to many new believers - I tend to think of it as 'meat' rather than 'milk', just my opinion.
That is true. Attending Pentecostal and Charismatic services I believe you need to attend being a new believer with someone who is more seasoned and has greater discernment. And as you grow in Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit new believers can understand more of what happens in Pentecostal and Charismatic churches. Well im glad you have grown to enjoy Charismatic services.

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
Being filled with the Holy Spirit of Christ Jesus, O how awesome it is! :)

Amen, Isn't He wonderful, And what an awesome feeling it is to be full of the wonderful Holy Spirit and speak in tongues.

Oh yessir it is awesome!

Yeah we do not do that now. Many churches have gotten away from the tarry service. As we have grown in the knowledge of the faith and matured in Jesus Christ we have learned that there is one critical component that was there in tarrying and in believing and that is faith! Now you do not have to tarry at the altar like we did but all you have to do is believe and ask for it in Jesus name and it shall be given the gift of Holy Ghost! WOW! Im getting excited now! Its just something about that inner abiding presence of the Holy Spirit!

Amen, It is exiting to talk about the Holy Ghost, I Just think about Him and His Anointings and I feel the Anointing.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Yes many "claim" to have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit yet they have not received the precious baptism or immersion of the Holy Spirit. Yes speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance is the initial evidence; but there is more to living by the Holy Spirit than tongues its a life controlled and empowered by the Holy Spirit. He speaks, unctions, guides, corrects, rebukes, inspires and comforts the believer everyday! He is an essential I believe for salvation. He leads into all truth and is a person Himself worthy of honor and worship just as the Father and Son Jesus Christ is. The Holy Spirit though does not lift up himself yet leads the believer to a deeper honoring and reverence of Jesus our Lord!

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
this is an interesting topic. can one of you tell me where the Bible says we are to be baptized in the holy spirit?
doesn't a Christian have the holy spirit in them when they accept Jesus into their heart?, and didn't the holy spirit already come at pentecost?

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
this is an interesting topic. can one of you tell me where the Bible says we are to be baptized in the holy spirit?
doesn't a Christian have the holy spirit in them when they accept Jesus into their heart?, and didn't the holy spirit already come at pentecost?
Yessir you are right! Every believer receives the indwelling of the Holy Spirit at the point of salvation. Yet the prophet John the baptist spoke of another act of the Holy Spirit done by Jesus Christ in Matthew 3:11 "I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me [background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire." and this was fulfilled in part at Pentecost in Acts 2:1-4 when the 120 believers in the upper room received the Holy Gjost and began to speak in other tongues. And throughout scripture subsequent events happened where believers received the gift of the most precious Holy Ghost (Acts 19:1-6, Acts 10:44, Acts 15:8). Also the prophet Joel spoke of God pouring out or immersing His Spirit on all flesh and the people men and women, young and old would prophesy (Joel 2:28). Jesus proclaimed in Acts 1:8 "Behold, you shall receive power after that which the Holy Ghost shall come upon you and you shall be my witnesses!" The baptism of the Holy Spirit is an a empowerment of the believer for effective and powerful witnessing and service to God. Jesus also proclaimed in Acts 1:5 "[/background][background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.". It is received by faith! Its a powerful experience and leads the believer into a deeper love of Jesus and a fire to live and serve Him.[/background]

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
thanks, UHCAlan, your post and scripture makes sense with where i was going with this.
it says the Holy Ghost will come upon you, not giving instructions that you are to conjer it up yourself. am i right?

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
thanks, UHCAlan, your post and scripture makes sense with where i was going with this.
it says the Holy Ghost will come upon you, not giving instructions that you are to conjer it up yourself. am i right?
Yes you are sir. The methods you see us talking about were what we did back in the day. Our knowledge was limited all we knew was Jesus, sanctification & holiness and the Bible which is a lot but as we have grown and matured we see that the method is of no value it is the faith of receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost that matters! By faith we recieve the promises of God not by methodology. We tarryed, others lifted up their hands, some just spoke in faith and others received the Holy Ghost other ways but the faith is the same! When we tarryed though we prayed and fasted though and that is how we believed we had to receive the Holy Ghost now we know better!

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
wait, are you saying that scripture is of less value than before pentecost? pardon me if i'm mis-enterpreting.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
wait, are you saying that scripture is of less value than before pentecost? pardon me if i'm mis-enterpreting.
No im saying in our methodology of tarrying thinking that was the only way to receive the Holy Ghost was in part an act of ignorance. No the Holy Spirit leads into ALL truth and the entire word of God Old and New testament is truth!

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
ok pardon so, so recieving the Holy Ghost is not done by tarrying then what is the methodology to use?

prayer and fasting i gather?

may one pray and fast for the baptism on their own or do they need other praying over them? what i'm curious about is how specifically it is done.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
ok pardon so, so recieving the Holy Ghost is not done by tarrying then what is the methodology to use?
Tarrying is one way and even in tarrying there are varying methods. To tarry means simply to wait! You can tarry at the altar like we did or tarry in your room. You can pray and ask God to "baptize you in the Holy Ghost" or call "Jesus,Jesus,Jesus" like I did or however you praise Him. I believe faith, prayer and a pure heart are the only mandates that need to be met before receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost! Also study the scriptures and get with someone like your pastor or someone you know who has received the baptism of the Holy Ghost and ask them to teach you, pray with you or even tarry with you to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost! I've seen people receive the Holy Ghost by tarrying, praying, laying on of hands by people who had the Holy Spirit baptism, by being water baptized and some by just simply hearing the word preached to them! It is varying ways pray and seek God for the way He wants to fill you with His Holy Spirit!

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
thanks but i went through that process several years ago with a couple in church leadership where they baptized me in the holy spirit. i have since come to question it and wether or not it is Biblical.