• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was growing up in mid-20th century America, the ten commandments were the standard of morality for Christians. My Southern Baptist grandmother often asked me to mow her lawn (about an acre). But she would never allow me to do it on Sunday.

Lately, I'm hearing more and more about a doctrine which states that the ten commandments were nailed to the cross and that the Holy Spirit has replaced them. I recently asked my very aged father about this and he said that he'd never even heard of such a thing.

What happened?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People who grew up in the 1950's simply never heard the gospel as it is written in holy scripture.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I was growing up in mid-20th century America, the ten commandments were the standard of morality for Christians. My Southern Baptist grandmother often asked me to mow her lawn (about an acre). But she would never allow me to do it on Sunday.

Lately, I'm hearing more and more about a doctrine which states that the ten commandments were nailed to the cross and that the Holy Spirit has replaced them. I recently asked my very aged father about this and he said that he'd never even heard of such a thing.

What happened?
Hello BF, what do you mean 'what happened'? What happened that allegedly changed the Levitical Law, or what happened to cause this New Covenant to perceptibly elude so many people?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello BF, what do you mean 'what happened'? What happened that allegedly changed the Levitical Law, or what happened to cause this New Covenant to perceptibly elude so many people?
What caused Christians to turn their backs on the ten commandments so quickly, when all the great reformers, evangelists and preachers of the last 500 or so years taught them frankly and diligently? Is it heresy to want to be obedient to God after being born again, and baptized of water and Spirit?

Reactions: bbyrd009

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What caused Christians to turn their backs on the ten commandments so quickly, when all the great reformers, evangelists and preachers of the last 500 or so years taught them frankly and diligently? Is it heresy to want to be obedient to God after being born again, and baptized of water and Spirit?
Sorry, i must disagree, for one of the over-arching impetuses behind the reformation was the principle of faith over works.
Of course, and obviously, morality does not diminish under the New Covenant, so that whatever was inherently moral under the Decalogue, remains as an injunction or precept under the New. That being said, dietary laws or festivals, even circumcision are not mandatory, nor edifying.
As far as the Ten Commandments are concerned, I personally would feel that the Sabbath observance would be abolished, since I find absolutely no intrinsically moral aspect about its regiment.

The point being, The Law made righteous those who followed it while under the Old Law. Today, faith in Christ Jesus is the New Law. So that, to break even a moral injunction from the Decalogue will not disqualify you from God's Kingdom, whereas during the Old Dispensation, it would.
You would be stoned to death, under the auspices of God, if you mowed your lawn in the time of Moses. God would not demand your death, or regard you unfavourably, if you were to cut your lawn on the Sabbath in the current era. Murder He would, but you could still be saved.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What happened?
People/civilization being weaker on manners of faith. It’s a slippery slope of self-excusing sins.

Reactions: BarneyFife

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See Romans 3:21. There is a righteousness of God that is apart from the law, that is attested to by the law and the prophets.

In Galatians 3:14, Galatians 5:22-23, we see where this righteousness comes from.

Not from attempting to obey a set of do's and don'ts; but from receiving the Holy Spirit and then walking according to the love that has been shed abroad in your heart (Romans 5:5).

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, i must disagree, for one of the over-arching impetuses behind the reformation was the principle of faith over works.
I can't argue with that; the problem is people (especially religious folks) are prone to extremes, and I think the pendulum has swung too far into the other direction. Actual legalists are few and far between. There will always be people that respond well to regimentation but it's not the norm. License is the order of the day in too many churches.
As far as the Ten Commandments are concerned, I personally would feel that the Sabbath observance would be abolished, since I find absolutely no intrinsically moral aspect about its regiment.
I feel safer letting God decide which laws are moral and which are liturgical. Putting a ceremonial law in the middle of a moral code chiseled in stone is a dirty trick that I just can't believe a just God would pull. The flimsy Biblical evidence normally given for the abolition of the 4th commandment is negligible to me.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The point being, The Law made righteous those who followed it while under the Old Law.
The only way anyone has ever been saved is by the blood of Christ, even if unbeknownst to them. No man has ever kept the law perfectly, except for the man Christ Jesus. And perfection is what the law demands.

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 10 commandments were Gods law to the Jews, not gentiles.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 10 commandments were Gods law to the Jews, not gentiles.
Yeah, I get that a lot. But I've also noticed that folks who discard the ten commandments as obsolete, Israelite rules don't mind at all borrowing the new covenant from them.

“Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah (Jeremiah 31:31)

Reactions: bbyrd009

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I get that a lot. But I've also noticed that folks who discard the ten commandments as obsolete, Israelite rules don't mind at all borrowing the new covenant from them.

“Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah (Jeremiah 31:31)
I do follow Jesus teaching that all the commandments hinge upon which are

To love God with all your heart, mind and soul and to love your neighbor.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't argue with that; the problem is people (especially religious folks) are prone to extremes, and I think the pendulum has swung too far into the other direction. Actual legalists are few and far between. There will always be people that respond well to regimentation but it's not the norm. License is the order of the day in too many churches.

I feel safer letting God decide which laws are moral and which are liturgical. Putting a ceremonial law in the middle of a moral code chiseled in stone is a dirty trick that I just can't believe a just God would pull. The flimsy Biblical evidence normally given for the abolition of the 4th commandment is negligible to me.
I think it's a matter of the Law of Moses doesn't hold a candle to the Law of Love in Christ.

The 10 Commandments regulate the Law of sin and death, but Jesus Himself regulates the Law of the Spirit of life in Christ.

I think that holding to the 10 commandments is like insisting you follow what's written in an abstract, when you have the author who wants to give you personal instruction.

Naturally the writer won't disagree with the abstract, but there is so much more to it.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The new covenant was always intended to include the gentiles. That was a mystery which Paul revealed. But the Law was never given to the gentiles.

Much love!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The new covenant was always intended to include the gentiles. That was a mystery which Paul revealed.
But the Law was never given to the gentiles.

Much love!
'Behold, the days come, saith the LORD,
.. that I will make a new covenant
.... with the house of Israel,
...... and with the house of Judah:

Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers
in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt;
which My covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel;
After those days, saith the LORD,
I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts;
and will be their God, and they shall be My People.

(Jeremiah 31:31-33)

Hello @marks,

Forgive me, but would you please give me the Scriptures you are referring to, so that I can see where you are coming from.

Thank you
With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Cooper

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that holding to the 10 commandments is like insisting you follow what's written in an abstract, when you have the author who wants to give you personal instruction.
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, (2 Timothy 3:16)
When Paul wrote this, there was no New Testament (not that I think you wouldn't know that).
Naturally the writer won't disagree with the abstract, but there is so much more to it.
Christ's magnification of the law did not nullify it.