The ten commandments ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
who gave these to Moses was it the Father or the Son - winc
The source is the Father, the agent is the Son. They come from the Father and are dispensed by the Son. All things are through the Son. The will of the Father is always manifest through the Son. All things are created or manifest through the Son. All things means everything you can possibly think of even your own imagination of who or what the Father is.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
don't forget the Holy Spirit. it starts with the Father's all, then Jesus speaks it into existence, and the Holy Spirit makes it come alive.

Good bless

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
don't forget the Holy Spirit. it starts with the Father's all, then Jesus speaks it into existence, and the Holy Spirit makes it come alive.

Good bless
I know that it says that the Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son, but the Spirit is always there. I think John's analogy of the "Word" is illustrative. The invisible thought, idea, or concept is manifest in the spoken word by the breath of the Spirit. It is actually the same word in the Hebrew, and used almost synonymously in the Greek as well, e.g. Jesus breathed upon them etc.

Likewise, the invisible, ineffable, transcendent Father Is manifest in the Living Word through the power of the Holy Spirit.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
shnarkle said:
I know that it says that the Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son, but the Spirit is always there. I think John's analogy of the "Word" is illustrative. The invisible thought, idea, or concept is manifest in the spoken word by the breath of the Spirit. It is actually the same word in the Hebrew, and used almost synonymously in the Greek as well, e.g. Jesus breathed upon them etc.

Likewise, the invisible, ineffable, transcendent Father Is manifest in the Living Word through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus said keep my commandments and He also said no new commandment give I unto you - twinc

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
twinc said:
Jesus said keep my commandments and He also said no new commandment give I unto you - twinc
Uhhh, no. John said that:
1 John 2:7
Dear friends, I am not writing you a new command but an old one, which you have had since the beginning. This old command is the message you have heard.

Jesus gave many commandments that weren't included in the decalogue given to Moses.

Matt. 5:44
But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Matt. 26:18-20
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.

Mark 11:25-26
"And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins." But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father who is in heaven forgive your sins."

John 15:4
"Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me."

Matt. 5:25
"Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still with him on the way, or he may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison."

Matt. 5:34-37
"But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one,"

I can produce more examples but I think you get the point.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
these are commands not commandments - there are only ten commandments - when Jesus said keep my commandments He meant the tten He gave Moses - love one another was an old commandment what was new was as I have loved you' and also 'you have heard it said of old love one another but I say unto you 'love your enemies' etc - btw He did not say 'we must be born again' or that we can ignore the ten commandments - twinc

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
twinc said:
these are commands not commandments - there are only ten commandments - when Jesus said keep my commandments He meant the tten He gave Moses - love one another was an old commandment what was new was as I have loved you' and also 'you have heard it said of old love one another but I say unto you 'love your enemies' etc - btw He did not say 'we must be born again' or that we can ignore the ten commandments - twinc
The "Ten Commandments" were Covenant Law for the old (Mosaic) covenant. As such they were abolished when the Mosaic Covenant was abolished. And moreover they were never given to gentiles. Jesus gave us a New Covenant which all can be a part of - Jews and Gentiles.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
twinc said:
Wrong.

Jesus told His disciples flat out:
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have COMMANDED you.

You're splitting hairs.
A command and a commandment are the same thing.

Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary lists the following synonyms of the word "commandment":
behest, charge, COMMAND, decree, dictate, direction, directive, do, edict, imperative, injunction, instruction, order, word

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Wrong.

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have COMMANDED you.

You're splitting hairs.

Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary lists the following synonyms of the word "commandment":
behest, charge, COMMAND, decree, dictate, direction, directive, do, edict, imperative, injunction, instruction, order, word
[/quote

not at all - thou shall not kill - thou shall not steal - thou shall not commit adultery - He said keep my commandments viz the ones He wrote with His own finger on stone and said I have come not to abolish He did not abolish bur added to and refined - in the case of adultery 'he who lusts has already committed adultery etc - a lie makes a liar and stealing still makes one a thief imho - twinc

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
twinc said:
Wrong.

You're splitting hairs.

[/quote

not at all - thou shall not kill - thou shall not steal - thou shall not commit adultery - He said keep my commandments viz the ones He wrote with His own finger on stone and said I have come not to abolish He did not abolish bur added to and refined - in the case of adultery 'he who lusts has already committed adultery etc - a lie makes a liar and stealing still makes one a thief imho - twinc
Then, according to YOU - commanded nothing else of us during His lifetime.
This is an anti-Biblical fallacy, as I have shown you with Scripture - AND Webster's Dictionary.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
He commanded but did not give commandment No 11, 12 , 13 etc -twinc

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
twinc said:
He commanded but did not give commandment No 11, 12 , 13 etc -twinc
And, apparently, you have a reading comprehension problem - so I'll post this again:

Hopefully, it stuck that time . . .

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
wrong again - Jesus said 'keep my commandments' - a commandment is a command but a command is not a commandment at least not one or more of ten - twinc

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
twinc,

You seem to have missed my post:

The "Ten Commandments" were Covenant Law for the old (Mosaic) covenant. As such they were abolished when the Mosaic Covenant was abolished. And moreover they were never given to gentiles. Jesus gave us a New Covenant which all can be a part of - Jews and Gentiles.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
twinc said:
these are commands not commandments - there are only ten commandments - twinc
Actually the "Ten Commandments" are more than ten.

There are 12 commandments in the "decalogue".

Deuteronomy 5:7-21
1. You shall have no other gods before me.
2. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
3. you shall not bow down to them or serve them; ……
4 You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain:……..
5. Observe the sabbath day, to keep it holy, as the LORD your God commanded you. ...
6. Honor your father and your mother, ……
7. You shall not kill.
8. Neither shall you commit adultery.
9. Neither shall you steal.
10. Neither shall you bear false witness against your neighbor.
11. Neither shall you covet your neighbor's wife;
12. you shall not desire your neighbor's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or anything that is your neighbors.

The list in Exodus 20:3-17 is similar

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
presumably He meant all the others but not the ten - can you prove that - twinc