The Theological Cemetery

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is easy to come to a place after studying much scripture that one has arrived at some kind of destination where he is somehow on a higher plane than the rest of humanity. I cannot tell you the ministers that graduate the theological cemetery, oops, I meant seminary and whose ego drives more people away than does any good.

Luke 18:10-14

10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

And speaking of abasement...

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.- 2 Corinthians 12:7

And seven things that the Lord hates...

Ezekiel 16:49
Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.

1. Pride
2. Gluttony
3. Laziness
4. Greed

Proverbs 6:16-19 16 These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

On the top of the Proverbs list is pride. And there are many times that God looks outside of the religious institution to find men that will humbly follow his ways...

1 Corinthians 1:26-28
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

A example of this is the 1900's calling of Ira Sankey and DL Moody. Men who would give all the glory to God and have the power of Christ rest on them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGg0LLD17Fo

Enquirer

Aug 5, 2014
South Africa
Good post ... I'm almost done with my studies (Bachelors), but still have every intention to finish the race and get a Doctorate and Masters Degree.

Having said that, it is not a fact that ALL those who have study goals end up proud and arrogant ... I am still prepared to do "broom duty"
or clean up after a meeting and many times assist with getting new converts on their feet.
Yes, I might end up knowing more than many but that is not my goal for studying ... "study to show thyself approved" is.

I am fully aware that, "knowledge puffs up but love edifies", and knowing this causes me to try to stay grounded by involving myself with people.
Sometimes peoples attitudes toward someone who does study is that you think that you are a "know-it-all" ... when my mother was still alive she
used to call me "professor" whenever she got into an argument with me.

It all depends on the individual.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Practicing gratitude stops us from focusing on self - it is the gateway to humility