The Theory, Art, & Practice of Deception

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Start it, start it!

It's healthy for Christians to know how the enemy operates.

And … sometimes useful.

Esther tricked Haman resulting in him being hanged on his own gallows and Jael tricked Sisera and hammered a tent peg into his temple while he slept. The enemy never fights fair, does God always expect His beloved to?

Are not we to be harmless as doves AND cunning as snakes?
Matthew 10:16

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psychopaths and Sociopaths are masters of it.

Don't forget Narcissists. Almost indistinguishable from Sociopaths. Maybe more polite. On occasion. Maybe.

Much love!
I honestly believe these are both true due to the close influence these type people have with evil spirits. I think they are … given up to them, if you will.

Following that logic, Christians have a very close connection to good spirits, or The Spirit. Thus, they are given great discernment and wisdom/understanding that they wouldn't have of their own accord.

Reactions: Stumpmaster

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I honestly believe these are both true due to the close influence these type people have with evil spirits. I think they are … given up to them, if you will.

Following that logic, Christians have a very close connection to good spirits, or The Spirit. Thus, they are given great discernment and wisdom/understanding that they wouldn't have of their own accord.
I know a Christian man who also has NPD. It's a difficult road to walk.

Much love!

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know a Christian man who also has NPD. It's a difficult road to walk.

Much love!
Not to take away from your friend's situation, but I think most True Christians have a difficult road.

Paul had the Thorn in his side that many believe was an evil spirit of sorts. I believe God allows them to torment His people to a measured threshold. Not only to teach perseverance and faith, but to teach us about the dynamics of the enemy.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to take away from your friend's situation, but I think most True Christians have a difficult road.

Paul had the Thorn in his side that many believe was an evil spirit of sorts. I believe God allows them to torment His people to a measured threshold. Not only to teach perseverance and faith, but to teach us about the dynamics of the enemy.

This peaks my interest. I see the perseverance and faith for a lesson. What are the dynamics of the enemy?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've known a few, unfortunately.
Same here sister, and known them well. I think @GEN2REV is correct when he said:

"I honestly believe these are both true due to the close influence these type people have with evil spirits. I think they are … given up to them, if you will."

I stopped praying for this one after several years back. Have not been led to pray for her any longer. Very long and sordid story, hers and I and many others believe she has gotten away with murder. She is a very cunning thief, is charismatic (to those who do not really know her, once she gets her claws into someone...such manipulation and evil in this women.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This peaks my interest. I see the perseverance and faith for a lesson. What are the dynamics of the enemy?
The way the enemy operates.

The closer you get to The Almighty, the more acute your awareness becomes of whatever spirits are allowed to test you. They are very, very cunning. They are not only supernatural in their knowledge and comprehension, but they have been around for thousands of years.

You can begin to observe subtle strategies in the way they tempt and mess with you. They observe you very closely to learn how to better trip you up at given times. You may have a tendency to muster all your perseverance and faith until you see light at the end of the tunnel and then drop your guard. They will hit you with unexpected trials and tribulations right when you think you've reached the finish line and you discover it's not really over yet.

They tempt you all the time, in myriad ways and if you stumble, you are attacked. God will not let you fall utterly, but He allows all of this for your betterment.

Look closely at the temptation of Jesus in the desert. Notice what the Bible tells us the devil did when He finally left Jesus.

Luke 4:13 "And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from Him FOR A SEASON." Some versions even say "until a more opportune time."

They always come back. Often when we least expect.

Not believing in demons and their ability to interact with Christians is a luxury not afforded to those dedicated to following Christ. They are a daily reality. That is why it is so important to purify/sanctify ourselves as much as possible. That's also what fasting is about.

Sobriety, purity and daily ingestion of God's Word is the only path to sanity if you are truly seeking God.

Psalm51

Jun 23, 2021
the USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way the enemy operates.

The closer you get to The Almighty, the more acute your awareness becomes of whatever spirits are allowed to test you. They are very, very cunning. They are not only supernatural in their knowledge and comprehension, but they have been around for thousands of years.

You can begin to observe subtle strategies in the way they tempt and mess with you. They observe you very closely to learn how to better trip you up at given times. You may have a tendency to muster all your perseverance and faith until you see light at the end of the tunnel and then drop your guard. They will hit you with unexpected trials and tribulations right when you think you've reached the finish line and you discover it's not really over yet.

They tempt you all the time, in myriad ways and if you stumble, you are attacked. God will not let you fall utterly, but He allows all of this for your betterment.

Look closely at the temptation of Jesus in the desert. Notice what the Bible tells us the devil did when He finally left Jesus.

Luke 4:13 "And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from Him FOR A SEASON." Some versions even say "until a more opportune time."

They always come back. Often when we least expect.

Not believing in demons and their ability to interact with Christians is a luxury not afforded to those dedicated to following Christ. They are a daily reality. That is why it is so important to purify/sanctify ourselves as much as possible. That's also what fasting is about.

Sobriety, purity and daily ingestion of God's Word is the only path to sanity if you are truly seeking God.

Humility is key here.

My greatest transgressions have occurred when I consider myself to have "overcome" some great obstacle of sin in my life. The enemy loves this sort of self-patting on the back, false overestimation of one's flesh. This in itself is a great deception, perhaps maybe the enemy even puts these thoughts into our head?

The flesh truly is weak and we will be taken advantage of for it. "Be sober, be vigilant" (1 Peter 5:8), yes indeed. Like you mentioned, I truly thank God for allowing these great challenges for edifications' sake...

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Do you mean magic or magicians? They practice the art of deception.
Causing others to believe something that is not true does include magic.

Deception can be intentional or unintentional, but either way if someone is mislead by their senses then the result is the same.

As we know, deception is a major theme in the Bible and it all begins with the first falsification in Creation, that of Satan lying to Eve through the serpent in Eden.

In theory deception is an abstract thing to be discussed as though it is separate from deceiver and deceived, but in reality deception only exists when someone has been misled.

In theology as a result of Satan's falsification the whole human race becomes deceived whilst in Adam.

Rev 12:9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Reactions: Taken and GEN2REV

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Humility is key here.

My greatest transgressions have occurred when I consider myself to have "overcome" some great obstacle of sin in my life. The enemy loves this sort of self-patting on the back, false overestimation of one's flesh. This in itself is a great deception, perhaps maybe the enemy even puts these thoughts into our head?

The flesh truly is weak and we will be taken advantage of for it. "Be sober, be vigilant" (1 Peter 5:8), yes indeed. Like you mentioned, I truly thank God for allowing these great challenges for edifications' sake...
I can't remember where I read it, or if it's even in the Bible, but I remember a wise proverb about a king always being on highest guard ... during a celebration or after a great win. Yes, same logic.

The enemy always waits for our moments of greatest weakness, just like a snake can wait patiently for incredibly long periods of time, watching and observing until its prey is at its moment of greatest vulnerability. God allows this because it actually makes those weak parts of us stronger. Remember, if Jesus is God's Right Hand, who is His Left?

The enemy works for OUR God and answers to HIM. In a round-about way, he serves US.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thinking one has beat the flesh is a set up.
The flesh is persistent even in dreams. We have however one at our side who is stronger than the flesh.....will I avail myself moment by moment of his strength, will I fasten myself to the rock that will not move?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Paul's thorn in his side were false teachers and Judaizers. "Thorn in the side" is a Hebrew idiom like our "pain in the neck." Paul did not have problems with evil spirits! What are you even thinking? That's ridiculous! 1 John 5:18! False teachers are messengers of satan teaching doctrines of demons.

Judges 2:
Then the Angel of the Lord came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said: “I led you up from Egypt and brought you to the land of which I swore to your fathers; and I said, ‘I will never break My covenant with you. 2 And you shall make no covenant with the inhabitants of this land; you shall tear down their altars.’ But you have not obeyed My voice. Why have you done this? 3 Therefore I also said, ‘I will not drive them out before you; but they shall be thorns in your side, and their gods shall be a snare to you.’ ” 4 So it was, when the Angel of the Lord spoke these words to all the children of Israel, that the people lifted up their voices and wept.

5 Then they called the name of that place Bochim; and they sacrificed there to the Lord. 6 And when Joshua had dismissed the people, the children of Israel went each to his own inheritance to possess the land.

Reactions: marks

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Same here sister, and known them well. I think @GEN2REV is correct when he said:

"I honestly believe these are both true due to the close influence these type people have with evil spirits. I think they are … given up to them, if you will."

I stopped praying for this one after several years back. Have not been led to pray for her any longer. Very long and sordid story, hers and I and many others believe she has gotten away with murder. She is a very cunning thief, is charismatic (to those who do not really know her, once she gets her claws into someone...such manipulation and evil in this women.

I may have told you about my long time friend in California that is no longer a friend. Because of the guy that stole my car and was a con artist, I looked up psychopaths and sociopaths and they fit him to a T, but also her. That sure explained a lot that she put people through over the years.