The True God and Eternal Life !

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is eternal life, He is life. We see this over and over again in the Apostle Johns writings. In Him was LIFE and that LIFE was the light of man. Life of the world, the Bread of LIFE,My words are spirit and they are LIFE, I AM the way,the truth and the LIFE,The LIFE was manifested and we proclaim to you the ETERNAL Life which was with the Father, and was manifested to us- The Prologue of 1st John. So we see that when John uses the phrase True God and Eternal Life together in 1 John 5:20 that He is referring to Christ as the closest antecedent making Him the True God and Eternal Life.

Also we see that when we search the NT that Eternal Life is never used of the Father without the Son but we see that Eternal Life is used over and over with Jesus where the Father is never mentioned. This makes a solid case for Jesus in 1 John 5:20 as the True God and Eternal Life.

1 John 5:20
20 We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true — even in his Son Jesus Christ. He(Jesus) is the true God and eternal life.

On behalf of seeing χριστος as the antecedent are the following arguments: (1) Although it is true that αληθινος θεος is not elsewhere referred to Christ, αληθεια is, and is so in Johannine literature (John 14:6).

29 Winer-Moulton, 195.
Further, αληθινος θεος is not a "constant.. epithet" as Winer supposes, being found only in John 17:3 and 1 John 5:20! (2) Christ is also said to be ζωη in John's writings John 11:25; 14:6; 1 John 1:1-2), an epithet nowhere else used of the Father. (3) The demonstrative pronoun, ουτος, in the Gospel and Epistles of John seems to be used in a theologically rich manner.30 Specifically, of the approximately seventy instances in which ουτος has a personal referent, as many as forty- four of them (almost two-thirds of the instances) refer to the Son. Of the remainder, most imply some sort of positive connection with the Son.31 What is most significant is that never is the Father the referent.For what it is worth, this datum increases the probability that ιησου χριστω is the antecedent in 1 John 5:20. 32 The issue cannot be decided on grammar alone. But suffice it to say here that there are no grammatical reasons for denying that αληθινος θεος is descriptive of Jesus Christ.

Below are 8 biblical reasons why Jesus is the True God and Eternal Life

1st- Jesus is called God in the writings of John(1:1,20:28,1 John 5:20)

2nd- Jesus is called Eternal Life over and over again in Johns writings

3rd- John opens up his epistle with the Eternal life(Jesus) that was with the Father in the beginning and was manifest to the disciples(1 John 1:1-5)

4th- John ends his epistle with Jesus who is eternal life and only is eternal life found in Him who is the true God.

5th- never is eternal life used of the Father alone. When the Father is included the Son is always mentioned together with the Father making them equal. Equality with the Father was not something Jesus needed to grasp at as He already possessed complete Deity as God.(Phil 2, Col 2:9)

6th- John would not leave his readers with any ambiguity warning them to guard themselves from idols(5:21) So this would be clear his reference was to those who reject Jesus as the true God. They are the idoloters and antichrists John writes of in his epistles.

7th- Jesus is also the True God and the True one in 1 John. Jesus is the true light which brings light to all men (John 1:9) Jesus is the truth (John 14:6)Jesus is the true vine (John 15:1). Jesus is the true witness of God (John 18:37) He who is true (Revelation 3:7) Jesus is the faithful and true witness (Revelation 3:14)Jesus is Lord God Almighty, Just and true are your ways(Revelation 15:3) Jesus is faithful and true(Revelation 19:11).

8th- [In John's writings] Of the approximately 70 instances in which ουτος has a personal referent, as many as 44 of them (almost 2/3 . . . ) refer to the Son. Of the remainder, most imply some sort of positive connection with the Son.31 What is most significant is that NEVER is the Father the referent.FWIW, this datum increases the probability that ιησου χριστω IS the antecedent in 1 John 5:20. Wallace.

So the most logical conclusion is that it refers to Jesus as the true God. Not only is this Wallace's conclusion from Johns usage of outos but He is the closest antecedent (most times in the NT this principal holds true). Eternal Life is never used of the Father alone in John’s writings and only a couple of times does John include the Father with the Son regarding eternal life. John opens up his epistles describing the "eternal life" who was with the Father in the beginning and then ends his epistle with eternal life identifying Jesus as the true God and eternal life. John then says this in the last verse:

1 John 5:21-Guard yourselves from idols

Now why would he leave any ambiguity in verse 20 as to the identity of the true God and eternal life then turn around commanding them to protect themselves from idolatry ? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever unless John is identifying Jesus as the true God and refuting the Gnostics of his day who denied the Incarnation.

hope this helps !!!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
did you not say in topic, "Who is the One that is Coming?" that The Son of Man not the Father !!!!!!

but here you're saying that Jesus is the eternal life, which the bible clearly states that is ONLY "ONE" who has ETERNAL LIFE.

care to explain?

PICJAG.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
did you not say in topic, "Who is the One that is Coming?" that The Son of Man not the Father !!!!!!

but here you're saying that Jesus is the eternal life, which the bible clearly states that is ONLY "ONE" who has ETERNAL LIFE.

care to explain?

PICJAG.
read the OP its clearly stated you must of overlooked it.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read the OP, here and the Op in the topic, "Who is the One that is Coming?" so my question still stands.

PICJAG.
Sorry but I'm not seeing what you perceive to be any contradiction in the 2 threads. Maybe you could explain it better so I can understand your point. Thanks !

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok, in the topic, "Who is the One that is Coming?" you said this. listen closley.
So we can see that the One who comes/is coming in the NT always refers to Jesus the Son of Man and NEVER refers to the Father. Therefore we can conclude it is Jesus who is coming whom John calls God the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last.. This is sound biblical exegesis based on the context of the passage as well as the principle established in both Testaments on the One who is Coming in/with the Clouds- The Son of Man not the Father !!!!!!

well the Son of Man is "Spirit", who is JESUS, for the Son of Man came from heaven, not EARTH. and he who came is the "FATHER", the Holy One, the Spirit, shared in flesh. THAT'S THE PROBLEM. now care to explain how Jesus the Son of man is not the Father, shared equally in flesh?

PICJAG.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
20 We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true — even in his Son Jesus Christ. He(Jesus) is the true God and eternal life.
I will quote from the KJV since it represent the Greek more closely:
And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know Him that is true, and we are in Him that is true, even in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and Eternal Life.

This is quite straightforward. Jesus is indeed ETERNAL LIFE since He is "THE RESURRECTION AND THE LIFE". So Christ within is eternal life for the believer -- "Christ in you the hope of glory".

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok, in the topic, "Who is the One that is Coming?" you said this. listen closley.

well the Son of Man is "Spirit", who is JESUS, for the Son of Man came from heaven, not EARTH. and he who came is the "FATHER", the Holy One, the Spirit, shared in flesh. THAT'S THE PROBLEM. now care to explain how Jesus the Son of man is not the Father, shared equally in flesh?

PICJAG.
I'm not a oneness/modalist. So there is no contradiction. The Father is not the One in 1 John 5:20 nor in the other thread.

So if you want to stick with this OP we can discuss it but I'm not going to get sidetracked with the other thread. Try and stay on topic. Thanks !

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: Nancy

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
101G has decided that Jesus is the Holy Spirit and vice versa. So expect confusion from his side.
ERROR not vice versa, just the same "Spirit" diversified,

now, care to explain how the Son of Man is not the Father..... do it by scripture.... :D

PICJAG.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ERROR not vice versa, just the same "Spirit" diversified,

now, care to explain how the Son of Man is not the Father..... do it by scripture.... :D

PICJAG.
are you your father ? yes or no

or are you your fathers son ? yes or no

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not a oneness/modalist. So there is no contradiction. The Father is not the One in 1 John 5:20 nor in the other thread.

So if you want to stick with this OP we can discuss it but I'm not going to get sidetracked with the other thread. Try and stay on topic. Thanks !

hope this helps !!!
ERROR, Philippians 2:6 counter that, "Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:"

form here is NATURE, and being is present tense.

I also suggest you look at Post #17 in the topic, "Who is the One that is Coming?"

so you're corrected. try again.

PICJAG

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ERROR, Philippians 2:6 counter that, "Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:"

form here is NATURE, and being is present tense.

I also suggest you look at Post #17 in the topic, "Who is the One that is Coming?"

so you're corrected. try again.

PICJAG
Look if you want to stick to THIS OP I will discuss it but I'm not going to go down all your rabbit trails with oneness.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
are you your father ? yes or no

or are you your fathers son ? yes or no
carnal no, you're thinking carnal, what do "Son" mean here, spiritually? listen, G5207, huios, It is often used metaphorically of prominent moral characteristics. descendants, without reference to sex.

NOW let me make it very clear, are you a male, (meaning a son), in christ Jesus, Yes or No? that will reproof that, "are you your father".

lol. lol. when will they ever learn.

PICJAG.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
until you are willing to address 1 John 5:20 with an exegesis of the passage I will pass on engaging you in this thread 101.

rabbit trails are not my thing.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
until you are willing to address 1 John 5:20 with an exegesis of the passage I will pass on engaging you in this thread 101.

rabbit trails are not my thing.
I did, .... :D listen up, the Son of God is not the Son of Man... lol, lol, lol, read your own words... :D

PICJAG.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did, .... :D listen up, the Son of God is not the Son of Man... lol, lol, lol, read your own words... :D

PICJAG.
well I see you can twist my words the same way you can twist scripture. Below are names, descriptions and titles of Jesus in Johns writings alone.

1)The Word who was God
2)Savior of the World
3)Lord
4)Lord God
5)Lord and God
6)Messiah
7)God
8)YHWH-John 12:41
9)I Am- YHWH see John chapter 8
10)True God
11)True God and Eternal Life
12)Alpha and Omega
13)I Am the First and the Last
14)The Beginning and the End
15)The Almighty
16)The Lamb
17)The Lamb of God
18)The Word of God
19)Eternal Life
20)Life
21)Creator of all things
22)The Good Shepherd
23)Shepherd
24)The Resurrection and the Life
25)The Truth
26)The Way
27)True Light
28)Light of the world
29)Savior
30)Only Begotten God
31)Only Begotten Son
32)The Bread of Life
33)The Gate
34)The Door
35)The King of the Jews
36)The King of Israel
37)The King
38)Life is found in Him
39)Faith in Him results in Eternal Life
40)The Scriptures are all about Him(Old Testament)
41)Lord of the Sabbath
42)Whatever the Father does, that I also do
43)Knows the hearts and thoughts of man
44)Raised the dead
45)Raised Himself from the dead
46)Forgave sin
47)Sinless
48)Holy One
49)Worshiped as God
50)Answers prayer as God
51)Dwells in all believers- omnipresent
52)Worshiped by angels
53)Worshiped by believers
54)Worshiped by those He healed
55)Worshiped by all creation
56)Worshiped together with the Father by all creation
57)Shares the Fathers Throne
58)Receives latereo and pronousko- worship due God alone
59)Faithful and True
60)Living One
61)Who was, is and is to come
62)King of Kings
63)Lord of Lords
64)Lion of the tribe of Judah
65)Morning Star
66)Holds the keys of death and hades
67)Song of the Lamb
68)Praised by all creation
69)Honored by all creation
70)Glorified by all creation
71)All creation sings praise to Him

hope this helps !!!

but somehow I doubt it.............................

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
oh how ignorant men are. the Son of God, (1 John 5:20), is not the Son of Man, John 3:13 "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven." just as the Lamb of God, on earth, is not the Lamb in heaven. oh slow of heart, when will they learn.

when one say the Son of Man is not the Father, then Just read Post #17 of the topic, "Who is the One that is Coming?"

PICJAG

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
keep telling yourself those lies........................
it's amazing how people can post something in one topic, and say the opposit in another post.

see, you can say i'm lying all day long, but it is the bible who is catching you in your lies, not 101G.

so you can get upset with 101G if you want, but the TRUTH is not changing. ... :rolleyes:

now did you read post #17 in the topic, "Who is the One that is Coming?"

PICJAG.