The true gospel of grace.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to disparage the point of my friend who wrote a different thread exposing "the false gospel of grace"; I want to share what is the true gospel of grace in order that it might be known that grace is a thing of truth and that the gospel of grace is not in and of itself always false when it is ministered.

Point #1 of the true gospel of grace is that grace is extravagant and indeed scandalous. It brings forgiveness to sinners of the worst kind.

We know that it doesn't apply to those who have not repented and who continue in willful sinning against the Lord, Hebrews 10:26-31.

However, if a person is truly born again, and because of this has the desire to walk in freedom and victory over sin(s), it is true of them that they are forgiven of past, present, and future sin(s).

The confession of sin that is required is found in Psalms 51:3; and in thus confessing all of our future sin(s) we are forgiven of all of our future sin(s), 1 John 1:9.

In that we are forgiven of past, present, and future sin(s), it ought to produce within us the response of gratitude and thanksgiving towards the One who forgave us; and it ought to produce the response of falling head over heels in love with Jesus.

Whoever is forgiven much loves much (Luke 7:36-50, 1 John 4:19, Romans 5:5).

This love is not in word or in tongue only but in deed and in truth (1 John 3:17-18).

It is also the fulfilling of the law within us (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 8:4).

There is an exception to the rule of those who have been transformed by grace in this manner. It is written in Isaiah:

Isa 26:10, Let favour be shewed to the wicked, yet will he not learn righteousness: in the land of uprightness will he deal unjustly, and will not behold the majesty of the LORD.

But for the most part when a person is shown forgiveness and favour/grace,

they will respond with thanksgiving, gratitude, and love.

Those who do not will not retain grace/favour for ever.

But those whose lives are transformed by the forgiveness of Christ, have a place in the kingdom of our Lord that cannot be compromised, removed, or otherwise taken away.

They have eternal security in the Lord.

If they blow it, their identity in Christ is not changed; they are counted righteous because of their faith: He justifies the ungodly.

If they rebel it is a different story; for if anyone sins willfully against the Lord, their appropriation of Christ's sacrifice is no longer valid.

But if anyone messes up and it is because of weakness, the scripture teaches that a man who is righteous will fall seven times but get back up again.

All of this is the true gospel of grace.

Reactions: Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In that we are forgiven of past, present, and future sin(s),

I think this part needs to be in the thread about false grace.

See, this always happens. People take things too far.

The bible says this...

Rom. 3:25 whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God’s righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins.

The sins that are past. There is no guarantee of forgiveness for present and future sins. That is a lie.

Jesus as an advocate is there IF we sin (because we are given the grace by faith to overcome ALL sin)...and not WHEN we sin.

We are here to learn to walk by faith IN the power that raised Jesus from the dead. We are to labour to enter into HIS rest. Once we are there there is no sin.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
They have eternal security in the Lord.

There is only eternal life and security when we walk in Christ without sin. The flesh has no guarantees attached. The soul that sins still dies.
The false gospel of grace can't stand up to the law...it breaks the law.

The true gospel of grace is a power that fulfills the law.

Rom. 8:4 So that the righteousness of the Law should be fulfilled in us not walking according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

The false gospel denies the power OVER sin.

It is looking only for a guarantee of forgiveness.

So this thread is just one more error. It is another thread about the false gospel of grace.

The real gospel is according to the kingdom of God which is BY grace.

Reactions: Nancy

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sins that are past. There is no guarantee of forgiveness for present and future sins. That is a lie.

It is promised that willful sin will not be forgiven, Hebrews 10:26-31.

But sins that are not willful are covered by the blood even before they are committed.

Rom 4:8, Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Heb 9:12, Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Heb 7:25, Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Rom 8:38, For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
Rom 8:39, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

To say that things present and things to come does not include our future sins would be a lie. For it is written,

Psa 51:3, For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say that what is written in post #4 might only apply to those who have a relationship with Christ and who are transparent before Him; who also are inclined to confess their sins to Him when fellowship is broken in order that it might be restored.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But sins that are not willful are covered by the blood even before they are committed.

Rom 4:8, Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Indeed. But you are changing the idea to God not having any say as to what is forgivable or not. The flesh wants to wrest the control away from God to be manipulated by men.

The verse implies the decision is the Lord's.

God judges. If a person assumes he is already forgiven...without repentance... for every sin he will ever commit...I would say that God would indeed NOT forgive such a presumptuous person. It is in fact adding sin to sin.

Is. 30:1 Woe to the rebellious children, declares the LORD, to those who carry out a plan, but not Mine, who form an alliance, but against My will, heaping up sin upon sin.

Lord save us from presumptuous sins.

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed. But you are changing the idea to God not having any say as to what is forgivable or not. The flesh wants to wrest the control away from God to be manipulated by men.

The verse implies the decision is the Lord's.

God judges. If a person assumes he is already forgiven...without repentance... for every sin he will ever commit...I would say that God would indeed NOT forgive such a presumptuous person. It is in fact adding sin to sin.

Is. 30:1 Woe to the rebellious children, declares the LORD, to those who carry out a plan, but not Mine, who form an alliance, but against My will, heaping up sin upon sin.
Amen. I am in agreement with every statement above except for your contention that I have the changed the idea of what holy scripture teaches.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a person assumes he is already forgiven...without repentance... for every sin he will ever commit...I would say that God would indeed NOT forgive such a presumptuous person. It is in fact adding sin to sin.
Most assuredly, repentance is set forth as part of the means by which one gains access to the grace of Christ.

However, I would say that a part of repentance is recognizing that we do not have power over the sin that dwells within us; and in turning to God for the strength to overcome temptation. This is why David's prayer included the concept that, my sin is ever before me.

Even with the Lord in our lives, we sometimes don't succeed at fending off temptation perfectly for whatever reason.

This is why it is so important for us to place our trust in Christ's shed blood and to appropriate the forgiveness of sin(s) that is offered by it.

We are all flawed in our natural selves; none of us is perfect: we all fail to live up to the Lord's standard of perfect righteousness from time to time. Personally I do not wear tzitzit; which is apparently a requirement of the law. And therefore in failing to keep the whole, I am guilty of breaking it all (see James 2:10, Galatians 3:10, Matthew 5:48). So then, I am a sinner saved by grace; and there is no way around this, for it is true of everyone who is truly born again.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to disparage the point of my friend who wrote a different thread exposing "the false gospel of grace"; I want to share what is the true gospel of grace in order that it might be known that grace is a thing of truth and that the gospel of grace is not in and of itself always false when it is ministered.
I think it's critically important to explain what we mean when we're talking. Looking at the other thread, it was essentially decrying the idea that saying "I accept Christ as my Savior" gives that person a license to sin- to do whatever ungodly thing they want just on a whim. Frankly, I don't see anyone disagreeing with that point. The point was not to dismiss grace of the Bible, but to illustrate that such grace is not cheap and urge a disciple of Christ to actually follow Christ (which is literally the definition of "disciple").
Point #1 of the true gospel of grace is that grace is extravagant and indeed scandalous. It brings forgiveness to sinners of the worst kind.

We know that it doesn't apply to those who have not repented and who continue in willful sinning against the Lord, Hebrews 10:26-31.
I don't see anyone arguing with this point.
However, if a person is truly born again, and because of this has the desire to walk in freedom and victory over sin(s), it is true of them that they are forgiven of past, present, and future sin(s).
You will find people disagreeing that future sins are forgiven-- thinking that you mean a person has a license to sin. Also, OSAS is always a controversial topic.

Reactions: Enoch111

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The confession of sin that is required is found in Psalms 51:3; and in thus confessing all of our future sin(s) we are forgiven of all of our future sin(s), 1 John 1:9.
Actually 1 John 1 and 2 talk about addressing our present sins (which would have been future at the time of conversion). So those sins are forgiven upon confession and repentance. And we are to examine ourselves on an ongoing basis (unless we consider ourselves sinlessly perfect, as you do).

What you are trying to promote is Hyper-Grace, which tells people that they do NOT have to address their present sins. Those preachers have several other strange ideas.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's critically important to explain what we mean when we're talking. Looking at the other thread, it was essentially decrying the idea that saying "I accept Christ as my Savior" gives that person a license to sin- to do whatever ungodly thing they want just on a whim. Frankly, I don't see anyone disagreeing with that point. The point was not to dismiss grace of the Bible, but to illustrate that such grace is not cheap and urge a disciple of Christ to actually follow Christ (which is literally the definition of "disciple").
The confusion came about because of the title of his thread.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You will find people disagreeing that future sins are forgiven-- thinking that you mean a person has a license to sin.

The statement is qualified by the understanding that one must be born again for their future sins to be forgiven...which means that their heart is no longer inclined towards wickedness but desires holiness to the nth degree. In such a case, there is no condemnation when you mess up because of human weakness.

Also, OSAS is always a controversial topic.

If anyone wants to go there with me I am certainly able to handle the controversy.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hence why it is important to look at the content and listen what is a person's actual point is, rather than a ~5 word title.
Did that...but knew that there are those who wouldn't...therefore I sought to clear up the confusion with my own thread (title).

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The statement is qualified by the understanding that one must be born again for their future sins to be forgiven...which means that their heart is no longer inclined towards wickedness but desires holiness to the nth degree. In such a case, there is no condemnation when you mess up because of human weakness.

If anyone wants to go there with me I am certainly able to handle the controversy.
Again, you got to take the time understand the point a person is actually trying to make.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What point am I missing when I make my statements in post #15 (The true gospel of grace.) ???
Ways in which you could be misunderstood by others:
- Somebody thinks you are saying a person has a license to sin
- That you are being flippant about how serious Christ's words "come follow me" are.
- Etc

Ways in which you could be misunderstanding others:
- That not everyone believes in OSAS, and the would object to your phrasing of future sins being forgiven because of that.
- That some people believe in continual repentance- that when you commit a sin on day X, you should repent of it on day X (ideally).
- Etc

Again, I'm emphasizing the importance of taking the time to actually listen & understand a person's point here.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ways in which you could be misunderstood by others:
- Somebody thinks you are saying a person has a license to sin
- That you are being flippant about how serious Christ's words "come follow me" are.
- Etc

Ways in which you could be misunderstanding others:
- That not everyone believes in OSAS, and the would object to your phrasing of future sins being forgiven because of that.
- That some people believe in continual repentance- that when you commit a sin on day X, you should repent of it on day X (ideally).
- Etc

Again, I'm emphasizing the importance of taking the time to actually listen & understand a person's point here.
Obviously this is the reason why we have continued discussion.