The truth of resurrection as Jesus Christ taught two resurrections.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 5:29
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Jesus Christ taught two resurrections, one of the righteous saints who he raises up and takes with him to heaven, and are reigning in heaven with Jesus. "But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished." (Revelation 20:5) The unrighteous are dead. "And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, and shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth". (Revelation 20:7-8) Although not explicitly stated, it is obvious the unrighteous dead were resurrected after the 1000 years ended. "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection". (Revelation 20:6) Specifying the "first" resurrection implies a second resurrection.

First lets see what resurrection is from the Bible, as some are teaching error saying people are being resurrected now as spirits or floating playing harps on a cloud but that is not correct as the resurrection of all the saints that are sleeping is at the end and has not happened yet.

2 Timothy 2:18
Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

The resurrection of the saints from the grave is at the second coming, and it is in bodily form like Lazurus, not some spirit floating around, and it is from the grave not being plucked from the fields or rooftop.

John 11:24
Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Jesus taught that even if people died they would be raised up.

John 11:25
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

And when he died at the cross, there were firstfruits of the saints that were raised from the grave, but the resurection of the saints is when Christ comes.

Matthew 27:52-53
52And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, 53And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

The saints who believed would be ressurected by Christ just as he was resurrected in bodily form.

Acts 4:2
Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.

1 Corinthians 15:12-13
Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:

And this was being taught as a firm doctrine to the belivers along with the final judgement.

Hebrews 6:2
Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Some did not believe even back then in resurrection from the grave of the saints as seen in these verses.

Acts 17:32
And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter.

Acts 23:6-8
But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.7And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees: and the multitude was divided. 8For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.

And here we have the two resurrections at the end of time in a nutshell..
Acts 24:15
And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.
and supported by many verses..
Luke 14:14
And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

And the first resurrection is of the saints not the wicked as the verses make clear. The wicked are brought up in the second one and going to suffer the second death which is damnation in the lake of fire.

Revelation 20:6
Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I agree the Bible teaches two resurrection. The first resurrection is the first fruits which are those who are called Saints. "Here is the patience of the saints; here are they that keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus" (Revelation 14:12) Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15: 20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. 21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

Let's take a look at this first resurrection because when Jesus makes his second coming he will be on earth for thousands years, with the saint and those who came out of the great tribulation. Lets go into 1 Thessalonians 4: 13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

If you sleep in Jesus it means you have done his will. Lets keep reading and see how Jesus bring the saints with him.

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

This verse just told us that some will be alive to be in this first resurrection, the coming of Jesus, and there are those who will be asleep. Notice they asleep and not in heaven chilling and watching over people, smiling at all this hell going on.

16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

Notice: Only the dead in Christ will rise first, but the Lord has descended...meaning coming down

17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Notice we those that where asleep or dead rise first, then those which are alive and remain rise next, to meet the Lord in the air, and altogether we the first resurrection.

Paul said in 1 Thessalonians 3:13 To the end he may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all his saints.

But now let's see if we going to heaven where Jesus and the father is now or coming back to the earth. Let's go into Zechariah 14: 1 Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee. 2For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. 3 Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. 4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south. 5 And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the LORD my God shall come, and all the saints with thee. Paul says in Rev. 20: 5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years

So now let's take a look at the second resurrection which is the white throne Judgement. Let's go into Revelation 20: 11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

The only time we getting off this earth is to meet the Lord in the air, then we are coming right back down to deal with the wickedness in this earth, if you be so bless to make it in the first resurrection.

peace in Jesus name

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus Christ taught two resurrections, one of the righteous saints who he raises up and takes with him to heaven, and are reigning in heaven with Jesus. "But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished." (Revelation 20:5) The unrighteous are dead. "And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, and shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth". (Revelation 20:7-8) Although not explicitly stated, it is obvious the unrighteous dead were resurrected after the 1000 years ended. "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection". (Revelation 20:6) Specifying the "first" resurrection implies a second resurrection.

First lets see what resurrection is from the Bible, as some are teaching error saying people are being resurrected now as spirits or floating playing harps on a cloud but that is not correct as the resurrection of all the saints that are sleeping is at the end and has not happened yet.

Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

The resurrection of the saints from the grave is at the second coming, and it is in bodily form like Lazurus, not some spirit floating around, and it is from the grave not being plucked from the fields or rooftop.

Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

And when he died at the cross, there were firstfruits of the saints that were raised from the grave, but the resurection of the saints is when Christ comes.

52And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, 53And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

The saints who believed would be ressurected by Christ just as he was resurrected in bodily form.

Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.

Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:

And this was being taught as a firm doctrine to the belivers along with the final judgement.

Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Some did not believe even back then in resurrection from the grave of the saints as seen in these verses.

And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter.

But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.7And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees: and the multitude was divided. 8For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.

And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.
And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

And the first resurrection is of the saints not the wicked as the verses make clear. The wicked are brought up in the second one and going to suffer the second death which is damnation in the lake of fire.

Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
I like this pretty good, I'm going to add in to it as well. Because this is a big topic, believe it or not.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes there are 2 groups, the righteous are not resurrected with the unrighteous, they are separated left and right.
The passage here shows the judgement is contemporaneous and everyone is a witness to it. This is like a formal court proceeding.
The decision of who is left or right hand already been made.

31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the [c]holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

44 “Then they also will answer [d]Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I agree the Bible teaches two resurrection. The first resurrection is the first fruits which are those who are called Saints. "Here is the patience of the saints; here are they that keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus" (Revelation 14:12) Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15: 20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. 21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

Let's take a look at this first resurrection because when Jesus makes his second coming he will be on earth for thousands years, with the saint and those who came out of the great tribulation. Lets go into 1 Thessalonians 4: 13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

If you sleep in Jesus it means you have done his will. Lets keep reading and see how Jesus bring the saints with him.

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

This verse just told us that some will be alive to be in this first resurrection, the coming of Jesus, and there are those who will be asleep. Notice they asleep and not in heaven chilling and watching over people, smiling at all this hell going on.

16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

Notice: Only the dead in Christ will rise first, but the Lord has descended...meaning coming down

17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Notice we those that where asleep or dead rise first, then those which are alive and remain rise next, to meet the Lord in the air, and altogether we the first resurrection.

Paul said in 1 Thessalonians 3:13 To the end he may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all his saints.

But now let's see if we going to heaven where Jesus and the father is now or coming back to the earth. Let's go into Zechariah 14: 1 Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee. 2For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. 3 Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. 4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south. 5 And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the LORD my God shall come, and all the saints with thee. Paul says in Rev. 20: 5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years

So now let's take a look at the second resurrection which is the white throne Judgement. Let's go into Revelation 20: 11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

The only time we getting off this earth is to meet the Lord in the air, then we are coming right back down to deal with the wickedness in this earth, if you be so bless to make it in the first resurrection.

peace in Jesus name
Very true, and the apostle Paul also spoke of these two resurrections when he said, "there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and the unjust" in Acts 24:15. So both Jesus Christ and Paul spoke of two resurrections, the first being the resurrection of life for the just, and the second being the resurrection of damnation for the unjust after the 1000 years. We also find it in Daniel, "And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book. And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt." Daniel 12:1-2.

So Revelation gives us the two resurrections as we see in Revelation 20 that a careful reading of verses 4-6 reveals how one takes place at the beginning of the 1000 years, the one of 1 Thessalonians 4: 13, and the other at the end. It says, "Blessed and holy is he that has part in the first resurrection: on such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years" . Here is a resurrection at the beginning of the 1000 years, the good resurrection of the saints. It clearly shows this as those in it need not fear the second death where is states, "But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years where finished".

Those not in the first resurrection will be raised at the end of the 1000 years in the second resurrection. Those in the second resurrection will be deceived by Satan, will be gathered against God's City, will stand before the final great white throne judgment, will be judged by their works, will be cast into the lake of fire, and will suffer the second death .
Revelation 20:9
And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.

Thus Revelation 20 teaches two resurrections, one at the beginning of the 1000 years, and the other at the end. If you die before Jesus Christ returns, you will need to be in one resurrection, and hope not to be in the other.

Reactions: bro.tan

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You perverted a biblical statement by quoting 1/2 of a sentence thus;

"And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation." John 5:29

You put "And" in upper case and ignored that "and" means something important went before your quote, and the previous verse ended in a comma, not a period. The full sentence reads:

"Marvel not at this: for the hour cometh, in which all that are in the tombs shall hear his voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of judgment." (John 5:28-29 ASV)

Of course by omitting v28 you are able to turn an "hour" into 1000 years! That is pretty slick. If you read further context, you'll see it you see in context in means something different than what you presented -

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour cometh, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God; and they that hear shall live. For as the Father hath life in himself, even so gave he to the Son also to have life in himself: and he gave him authority to execute judgment, because he is a son of man. Marvel not at this: for the hour cometh, in which all that are in the tombs shall hear his voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of judgment." (John 5:25-29 ASV)

The hour that Jesus came to die on the cross was upon them, and there was to be a resurrection of the spiritually dead to life. As Ephesians makes clear, the unregenerate are in a state of spiritual death. Then on the last day there is to be a bodily resurrection from the tomb and on the last day there is to be resurrection to judgment:

"Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again. Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day." (John 11:23-24 ASV) *Martha spoke of the bodily resurrection at the last day. In the next chapter Jesus mentions judgment on the last day:

"He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my sayings, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I spake, the same shall judge him in the last day." (John 12:48 ASV)

Revelation is difficult and has many variations found in the Greek manuscripts, but one thing is clear, there is NOT a "second resurrection" in chapter 20.

"The rest of the dead lived not until the thousand years should be finished. This is the first resurrection." (Rev 20:5 ASV)

There is NO "second resurrection" found in this chapter, but only a "second death" -

"And death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death, even the lake of fire." (Rev 20:14 ASV)

A verse in Acts makes clear there is to be "a resurrection", NOT "resurrections"! -
"...having hope toward God, which they themselves also wait for, that there is about to be a resurrection of the dead, both of righteous and unrighteous;" (Acts 24:15 LSV)

The definite article "the" is not in the Greek, so the literal translations do not add that.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very true, and the apostle Paul also spoke of these two resurrections when he said, "there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and the unjust" in Acts 24:15. So both Jesus Christ and Paul spoke of two resurrections, the first being the resurrection of life for the just, and the second being the resurrection of damnation for the unjust after the 1000 years. We also find it in Daniel, "And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book. And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt." Daniel 12:1-2.

So Revelation gives us the two resurrections as we see in Revelation 20 that a careful reading of verses 4-6 reveals how one takes place at the beginning of the 1000 years, the one of 1 Thessalonians 4: 13, and the other at the end. It says, "Blessed and holy is he that has part in the first resurrection: on such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years" . Here is a resurrection at the beginning of the 1000 years, the good resurrection of the saints. It clearly shows this as those in it need not fear the second death where is states, "But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years where finished".

Those not in the first resurrection will be raised at the end of the 1000 years in the second resurrection. Those in the second resurrection will be deceived by Satan, will be gathered against God's City, will stand before the final great white throne judgment, will be judged by their works, will be cast into the lake of fire, and will suffer the second death .
Revelation 20:9
And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.

Thus Revelation 20 teaches two resurrections, one at the beginning of the 1000 years, and the other at the end. If you die before Jesus Christ returns, you will need to be in one resurrection, and hope not to be in the other.
I agree with you 95% the other 5 % is to say that the second resurrection which is the white throne judgement are not only taking people to the lake of fire (Hell). Some people will make it in the kingdom of God coming out of the second resurrection.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I agree with you 95% the other 5 % is to say that the second resurrection which is the white throne judgement are not only taking people to the lake of fire (Hell). Some people will make it in the kingdom of God coming out of the second resurrection.
It does not say any actually do have their names written in the Book of Life.
Be fully prepared to find out none of them do.
These dead are not Christians, as Jesus says His believers do not come under the final judgement but have passed from death into life.
And seeing Jesus tells us He is the only way to the Father, that is why they are experiencing judgement as they did not believe in Christ.

Other thing that concerns me is, where have they been before this judgement after death. If hell, then why would God allow them entrance to heaven? They have been tormented for an age of several thousands of years.

First sea, death, and hades(hell) empty them out, then judgement, then cast final end the Lake of Fire. And they are called the 'dead', those who are dead, so none of them were those who Jesus said passed from death into life.

11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before [c]God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works. 14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second [d]death. 15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

44 “Then they also will answer [d]Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Last edited:

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It does not say any actually do have their names written in the Book of Life.
Be fully prepared to find out none of them do.
These dead are not Christians, as Jesus says His believers do not come under the final judgement but have passed from death into life.
And seeing Jesus tells us He is the only way to the Father, that is why they are experiencing judgement as they did not believe in Christ.

Other thing that concerns me is, where have they been before this judgement after death. If hell, then why would God allow them entrance to heaven? They have been tormented for an age of several thousands of years.

First sea, death, and hades(hell) empty them out, then judgement, then cast final end the Lake of Fire. And they are called the 'dead', those who are dead, so none of them were those who Jesus said passed from death into life.

11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before [c]God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works. 14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second [d]death. 15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

The book says that the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. It didn't say all dead will inter into the lake of fire, because of their works. Let' see what Solomon has to say about this subject. Ecclesiastes 9:3 This is an evil among all things that are done under the sun, that there is one event unto all: yea, also the heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live, and after that they go to the dead.

Take a look at what Solomon said. This event happened to us all while we are under the sun. Why did he say under the sun? We'll find this out later. Pay close attention here. The heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live. While they live. Then what happens after that? They go to the dead.

Ecclesiastes 9:4For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion.

While you are still alive there is still hope. What hope is this? Romans 2:7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life: This is what you hope for while you are still alive. Notice something else, Solomon said. For a living dog is better than a dead lion. Why is that? The dog is alive and the lion is dust. Can a dead lion be of any use? No! Solomon said a mouth full, look at the next verse.

Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

For the living know not any thing, neither any more reward. Why? Once you're dead there is no more hope. If you went to the grave in Christ, he will awake you in the first resurrection, and you will live and reign on the earth with him and the saints. If you did not die in Christ he will wake you in the second resurrection and you will be judged according to your works. If you are dead do you have any memory? What did Solomon say? "For the memory of them is forgotten". Now we know you have no more memory while you are in the grave. If you did something wrong to a person and they're dead, you don't have to worry, they won't come and haunt your house.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You perverted a biblical statement by quoting 1/2 of a sentence thus;

"And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation." John 5:29

You put "And" in upper case and ignored that "and" means something important went before your quote, and the previous verse ended in a comma, not a period. The full sentence reads:

"Marvel not at this: for the hour cometh, in which all that are in the tombs shall hear his voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of judgment." (John 5:28-29 ASV)

Of course by omitting v28 you are able to turn an "hour" into 1000 years! That is pretty slick. If you read further context, you'll see it you see in context in means something different than what you presented -

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour cometh, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God; and they that hear shall live. For as the Father hath life in himself, even so gave he to the Son also to have life in himself: and he gave him authority to execute judgment, because he is a son of man. Marvel not at this: for the hour cometh, in which all that are in the tombs shall hear his voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of judgment." (John 5:25-29 ASV)

The hour that Jesus came to die on the cross was upon them, and there was to be a resurrection of the spiritually dead to life. As Ephesians makes clear, the unregenerate are in a state of spiritual death. Then on the last day there is to be a bodily resurrection from the tomb and on the last day there is to be resurrection to judgment:

"Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again. Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day." (John 11:23-24 ASV) *Martha spoke of the bodily resurrection at the last day. In the next chapter Jesus mentions judgment on the last day:

"He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my sayings, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I spake, the same shall judge him in the last day." (John 12:48 ASV)

Revelation is difficult and has many variations found in the Greek manuscripts, but one thing is clear, there is NOT a "second resurrection" in chapter 20.

"The rest of the dead lived not until the thousand years should be finished. This is the first resurrection." (Rev 20:5 ASV)

There is NO "second resurrection" found in this chapter, but only a "second death" -

"And death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death, even the lake of fire." (Rev 20:14 ASV)

A verse in Acts makes clear there is to be "a resurrection", NOT "resurrections"! -
"...having hope toward God, which they themselves also wait for, that there is about to be a resurrection of the dead, both of righteous and unrighteous;" (Acts 24:15 LSV)

The definite article "the" is not in the Greek, so the literal translations do not add that.
Well, its the King James, but lets look at Youngs Literal Translation to see if any 'variation'...

John 5:28-29 Young's Literal Translation​

28 `Wonder not at this, because there doth come an hour in which all those in the tombs shall hear his voice,
29 and they shall come forth; those who did the good things to a rising again of life, and those who practised the evil things to a rising again of judgment.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The wicked are the ones at the second resurrection as they are brought up for the lake of fire the second death, so NONE of the wicked will get out of that which scripture clearly shows.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The wicked are the ones at the second resurrection as they are brought up for the lake of fire the second death, so NONE of the wicked will get out of that which scripture clearly shows.
That's true the wicket will be in the second resurrection, but not all those who will be judge in the second resurrection will go into the lake of fire. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (Rev 20: 15) The word says whosoever was not found, not there was know one found written in the book of life.

Let take a look at this parable Jesus says in Matthew 13: 24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: 25 but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. 26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. 27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? 28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? 29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's true the wicket will be in the second resurrection, but not all those who will be judge in the second resurrection will go into the lake of fire. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (Rev 20: 15) The word says whosoever was not found, not there was know one found written in the book of life.

Let take a look at this parable Jesus says in Matthew 13: 24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: 25 but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. 26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. 27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? 28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? 29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
All of them, look closer at what Christ said...

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of them, look closer at what Christ said...

peace in Jesus name