The Unity Thread

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It breaks my heart to see the Body of Christ in the state it's in. I hate how brothers and sisters can be so bitter and hateful to one another just because of theological disagreements. Jesus said this is how the world will know we're His disciples:

John 13:35 “By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Sure, we're going to have disagreements and differences of opinion. But that doesn't mean we can't love each other and be on the same team. This world has enough evil and bad stuff in it that we who are in the same family don't need to add to it and be at each other's throats. Imagine what God's people could accomplish if we would spend less time trying to prove we're right and other Christians are wrong, and we worked together to see the gospel brought to our communities and to the world. The Bible has this to say about how powerful unity is:

Psalms 133:1 A Song of Ascents, of David. Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Psalms 133:2 It is like the precious oil upon the head, Coming down upon the beard, [Even] Aaron’s beard, Coming down upon the edge of his robes.
Psalms 133:3 It is like the dew of Hermon Coming down upon the mountains of Zion; For there the LORD commanded the blessing–life forever.

So I apologize for promoting division in the name of trying to prove I am right, and I hope others will come alongside of me. This thread is for any discussion that will look past our differences and promote unity in the Body of Christ.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
t breaks my heart to see the Body of Christ in the state it's in. I hate how brothers and sisters can be so bitter and hateful to one another just because of theological disagreements. Jesus said this is how the world will know we're His disciples:

Yes when Christian disagree and are rude, spiteful, mean or petty in there language and behaviour it diminishes Christianity.

That said once tribal identity is part of Christianity one has to learn to ignore a lot of retortric and seek to major on those issues that are held in common.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truth is important. I am not talking about Jesus, who said he was the truth. I am talking about getting the facts straight. So its going to be hard for me to let a false idea go. Whether it be mine or theirs. So I don't think debates are bad. Peter, Paul, James, John Mark, Barnabus.... The had them too. It even caused some pretty severe riffs.

But I do agree. All Christians have one thing in common and that is the confession that Jesus is Lord.

Reactions: Wanting to Serve

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truth is important. I am not talking about Jesus, who said he was the truth. I am talking about getting the facts straight. So its going to be hard for me to let a false idea go. Whether it be mine or theirs. So I don't think debates are bad. Peter, Paul, James, John Mark, Barnabus.... The had them too. It even caused some pretty severe riffs.

But I do agree. All Christians have one thing in common and that is the confession that Jesus is Lord.
Disagreements are going to come up. And I know Paul and Barnabus pretty much split up because of a disagreement over how to handle Mark. But it would be good if we could promote loving each other over everything else, and spend a significant amount of time encouraging each other and focusing on what we have in common, which is Jesus. He's the reason for all of this.

It's just a shame that I came onto a Christian forum because I wanted to be strengthened and encouraged, and I ended up feeling torn down. I'm not blaming others, because I was involved in the arguing, too. But there's something to be said for brothers and sisters uniting under one cause. That's been my dream for the Body of Christ for a long time. Why couldn't it start with us?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

True...but there is much that I do not agree with..and I am ashamed at the time I have 'slashed' back when people have rude to me and insulting.
But ( hopefully I stopped doing that a couple of months ago, ...but I am sure I am irritating to some people, because if after a couple of "disagreeing" posts have passed between us...if there is an 'edge' in the posts of the other person...I just sidestep and ignore them.
I will no longer argue.

I personally believe that someone who just "must" keep on correcting the other person, or persons is both arrogant and insecure....they just can't stand the other person not agreeing with them.

I do agree with " stating our case" and saying what I believe to be truth, but once that is done...it will either be food for thought with the other member or just thrown out. That is not my problem.
Years ago I stopped thinking the God Kingdom would crumble if I didn't " fight for the truth"....He is more than able to take care of His own Word.

As this thread is showing...it is not about disagreements...it is all about the attitudes and rudeness when there is a disagreement.
Which is so very sad indeed. :oops:

Reactions: forrestcupp

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Disagreements are going to come up. And I know Paul and Barnabus pretty much split up because of a disagreement over how to handle Mark. But it would be good if we could promote loving each other over everything else, and spend a significant amount of time encouraging each other and focusing on what we have in common, which is Jesus. He's the reason for all of this.

It's just a shame that I came onto a Christian forum because I wanted to be strengthened and encouraged, and I ended up feeling torn down. I'm not blaming others, because I was involved in the arguing, too. But there's something to be said for brothers and sisters uniting under one cause. That's been my dream for the Body of Christ for a long time. Why couldn't it start with us?

Chin up my friend...and just stick around. :)
Twice over the last year I have been so close to quitting the site because a couple of knuckleheads were rude and obnoxious....but a couple of people wrote and Inbox and asked me to wait and hold tight. I am glad that I did :)

I could have kicked myself for falling down to the level of name calling and frustration in a thread...I was more angry at myself than anything else.
But, time takes care of many things...and neither of those ugly attitude people are still here any more. They moved on, (or maybe they were 'helped' to move on by the Mods...)
Cheer up..."this too shall pass.."
There are some really good hearted people on this site.
Sadly a few others of them are " quiet " right now and not posting much, but hopefully they will be back again soon. :)

Last edited:

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True...but there is much that I do not agree with..and I am ashamed at the time I have 'slashed' back when people have rude to me and insulting.
But ( hopefully I stopped doing that a couple of months ago, ...but I am sure I am irritating to some people, because if after a couple of "disagreeing" posts have passed between us...if there is an 'edge' in the posts of the other person...I just sidestep and ignore them.
I will no longer argue.

I personally believe that someone who just "must" keep on correcting the other person, or persons is both arrogant and insecure....they just can't stand the other person not agreeing with them.

I do agree with " stating our case" and saying what I believe to be truth, but once that is done...it will either be food for thought with the other member or just thrown out. That is not my problem.
Years ago I stopped thinking the God Kingdom would crumble if I didn't " fight for the truth"....He is more than able to take care of His own Word.

As this thread is showing...it is not about disagreements...it is all about the attitudes and rudeness when there is a disagreement.
Which is so very sad indeed. :oops:
The thing is, there are so many different denominations and belief systems out there, just under the umbrella of Christianity, that it's hard to find two people that completely agree on everything, even in the same local church. But the things that truly matter, we all are going to agree on, and that's what binds us together. We can still love each other and hope for each other's victories and success, even in our disagreements. We have an enemy who wants to take us out, and it shouldn't be each other.

Reactions: APAK

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And what was God's purpose in allowing people to disagree harshly? Was it not all according to His original plan? God who made us as we are and foreknew everything had a purpose and understood His purpose. Consider what I Corinthians chapter 13 says. Are men unable to love each other while they disagree? They are, but not without help, but too many are unwilling to humble themselves to really ask God for help in this more important of things. Remember the final verse of that chapter:
"And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity." I Cor 13:13

In many other versions that word, charity, is translated as "love". Perhaps we need to have disagreements in order to show our true colors with regard to this love:

"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matt 22:37-40

We do NOT have to all agree on every doctrine, but we do have to love our neighbor!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The thing is, <snip> ..that it's hard to find two people that completely agree on everything, even in the same local church. But the things that truly matter, we all are going to agree on, and that's what binds us together. We can still love each other and hope for each other's victories and success, even in our disagreements. We have an enemy who wants to take us out, and it shouldn't be each other.

Hey, try " in the same house" !! :D
My hubby and I have lots of fun disagreeing over some things we each believe. Both our 'arguments ' are strong...
That is one reason I no longer 'argue' with scriptures , any "cherry picked" scripture is not proof. Then it just comes to who can 'out-scripture' the other! Fun though.

My friend on here @amadeus and I have known each other on forums for about 12 years now at least...we do not totally agree with what each other believes about the interpretation of some scripture passages.
But I think I can speak for him when I say that we have great mutual resect for each other...and we both know that only at the End will we see who has been right.
I have never met him in the flesh, but I do consider him a friend of many years. Over those many years of reading a persons posts, one does get 'hear' and measure the heart beat of the another. :)
Praise God! ✟

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, try " in the same house" !! :D
My hubby and I have lots of fun disagreeing over some things we each believe. Both our 'arguments ' are strong...
That is one reason I no longer 'argue' with scriptures , any "cherry picked" scripture is not proof. Then it just comes to who can 'out-scripture' the other! Fun though.

My friend on here @amadeus and I have known each other on forums for about 12 years now at least...we do not totally agree with what each other believes about the interpretation of some scripture passages.
But I think I can speak for him when I say that we have great mutual resect for each other...and we both know that only at the End will we see who has been right.
I have never met him in the flesh, but I do consider him a friend of many years. Over those many years of reading a persons posts, one does get 'hear' and measure the heart beat of the another. :)
Praise God! ✟
We are in complete agreement on the mutual respect and friendship.
Give God the glory!

Reactions: Helen
B

Butterfly

Hi Forrestcupp
I do not post very often here, mainly because I figure some threads or responses will simply be lost in the ' I'm right, your wrong ' attitude that exists with some members here. Many threads just go round and round in circles because people want the last word. Me, well I stand on what I believe, I also am open to learn , listen and reflect. I do not feel the urge to shout, scream, have a tantrum just because someone questions what I have written - I read what they say, think about it , sometimes I respond and sometimes I choose to let it go over my head.
I do sometimes read some threads and wonder what Jesus himself thinks about it all, feel that way about many Christian responses in the world to things ( Facebook posts really drive me nuts at times )
When I look back to all the division within the churches I have been a part of , and forums, I see the enemy has had a field day - and in many cases has won by causing splits.
Now, perhaps as I have got older and dealt with some big issues within my family, I question what is worth arguing about and also having the last words simply not that important anymore.
I have actually seen God use many disagreements within family life to bring about good, but not without grief being experienced. It's all a learning curve, if we allow it to be.
I must admit I get frustrated about the judgments people make here about where others stand with God - drives me nuts !!!!
I also come here to connect with other Christians - it's important to me, so I stay xxxx
Sorry have to go, run out of time xx
Butterfly

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From my perspective in the US, anyway, we're living in a climate of moral decline. More and more people are walking away from God. More and more people are not just choosing to not be Christians, but they're going the extra mile and criticizing people for being Christians, and trying to prove that either we're wrong, or we're bigots. The world is becoming increasingly more hostile towards us. Now is the time when we need to lay our silly theological squabbles to the side and stand together for Jesus.

I signed up for an account here a few years ago, but I never really came around much until like a week or two ago. Here's something I have noticed in the short time I've been hanging around. Being a part of theological debates has the positive effect of "sharpening you." Iron sharpens iron. Debating theology forces you to be in the scriptures and to remember exactly why you believe what you believe. It helps to strengthen your footing on your foundation. But then I noticed that those benefits only last so long before you start feeling like everything is negative, and everyone is against you.

There needs to be a way that we can sharpen one another, yet also make people feel like we're on the same team.

Wanting to Serve

Mar 3, 2018
Northeast United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I totally understand. I am very sensitive to all the political fighting and wanted to come somewhere where people would be respectful and not jump to negative conclusions about a person who was just trying to state their opinion of a topic.
You would really love listening to Francis Chan. If you go on youtube, he really has the biblical teaching as well as getting the total love that the church should be showing each other so that by THIS love, the world would know who Jesus is.
He actually left his mega-church to start many volunteer led home churches. My prayer is that we can get away from spending so much money on buildings and salaries to having many many house churches in which people are actually a family and then all their tithes/giving can go 100% to help others and missions. What an amazing thing if the church started really taking foster care and adoption seriously. We have fostered and adopted and I can tell you that nothing in all my years brought me closer to my Lord and Savior. People will comment how we are "good" for adopting special needs and I tell them. No...we are not good. Only God is good. But, out of our thankfulness and love for what Jesus has done, we want to show Him that we care about His children. God loves all of us. I will pray for your encouragement because I know how much stress all this fighting in the US is causing me. It is crippling some days when you realize that people who you thought love you, actually are filled with hate. It was a sad eye opener. My own parents will not even talk to me. It is heartbreaking.

Wanting to Serve

Mar 3, 2018
Northeast United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Forrestcupp
I do not post very often here, mainly because I figure some threads or responses will simply be lost in the ' I'm right, your wrong ' attitude that exists with some members here. Many threads just go round and round in circles because people want the last word. Me, well I stand on what I believe, I also am open to learn , listen and reflect. I do not feel the urge to shout, scream, have a tantrum just because someone questions what I have written - I read what they say, think about it , sometimes I respond and sometimes I choose to let it go over my head.
I do sometimes read some threads and wonder what Jesus himself thinks about it all, feel that way about many Christian responses in the world to things ( Facebook posts really drive me nuts at times )
When I look back to all the division within the churches I have been a part of , and forums, I see the enemy has had a field day - and in many cases has won by causing splits.
Now, perhaps as I have got older and dealt with some big issues within my family, I question what is worth arguing about and also having the last words simply not that important anymore.
I have actually seen God use many disagreements within family life to bring about good, but not without grief being experienced. It's all a learning curve, if we allow it to be.
I must admit I get frustrated about the judgments people make here about where others stand with God - drives me nuts !!!!
I also come here to connect with other Christians - it's important to me, so I stay xxxx
Sorry have to go, run out of time xx
Butterfly
Thank you Butterfly!!

Wanting to Serve

Mar 3, 2018
Northeast United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While people are busy finding ways to point out who is or is not a "REAL" Christian....there are SO many kids waiting and in need of a foster care home. Can you imagine if people all used their energy to either take these kids into their homes... or emotional or physically help to support someone else who is fostering. For instance. When my foster child came into my house, a friend brought over to me some used toys and a huge meal. That was the best tasting meal that I ever had because someone loved us enough to show that they cared. I think about that friend often and am filled with love and hope. Someone else might offer a hair cut, or have your other kids over for a play date (since it is a huge change on them to have a new very needy child in the house). There are also so many widows that need our help. When your cup over flows, there is SO much love that you can show others. But it takes some risk. The risk is worth it! There is almost no need for words except to be prepared to give the hope that you have in Jesus Christ, in God's timing, when He presents YOU with the opportunity WHEN you are asked.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There needs to be a way that we can sharpen one another, yet also make people feel like we're on the same team.

I agree.
If our time spent on this Site lifts us, or if we feel that we have shared something that may have helped or lifted someone else..then maybe it was a fruitful time. Like you say...some times we can come on here and read the threads..(I "try" to read them all daily.) But of late I find so little that moves my heart or causes my to respond or post.
I guess I find so much of it 'in the head' and from the intellect rather than from the spirit within. Good discussions can as you say, sharpen us , make us examine what we believe and why we believe what we believe. :)
Maybe it is just my age...but I so often find myself thinking as I read..."does it really matter? "
Maybe it is just " times and seasons" I do know that Forums can change very quickly. I know by past experience, that just as I am thinking- "why bother"...all of a sudden I read something that blesses and lifts me! :)

Wanting to Serve

Mar 3, 2018
Northeast United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree.
If our time spent on this Site lifts us, or if we feel that we have shared something that may have helped or lifted someone else..then maybe it was a fruitful time. Like you say...some times we can come on here and read the threads..(I "try" to read them all daily.) But of late I find so little that moves my heart or causes my to respond or post.
I guess I find so much of it 'in the head' and from the intellect rather than from the spirit within. Good discussions can as you say, sharpen us , make us examine what we believe and why we believe what we believe. :)
Maybe it is just my age...but I so often find myself thinking as I read..."does it really matter? "
Maybe it is just " times and seasons" I do know that Forums can change very quickly. I know by past experience, that just as I am thinking- "why bother"...all of a sudden I read something that blesses and lifts me! :)
I for one wish I lived next door to you! I would love to pray for others and our world with someone in person!! The older I get the more I realize how underused prayer is! May God put people in our lives to disciple today!

Reactions: Butterfly and Helen