The Vital Importance Of Forgiving Others

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I haven't clicked this link but I do agree with the title of this topic. It is imperative that we forgive others and so so quickly... :)

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
God forgives the repentant and we are told to forgive others as God has forgiven us. So yes, its important to forgive someone when they repent (Luke 17:3). But I don't think that Christians are suppose to forgive everyone automatically or unconditionally. Doing so could be very detrimental to your health.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I think Christians need to think about why they need to forgive others. A very good reason is found in

Matthew 6:
9 In this manner, therefore, pray:

Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
13 And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.

For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

christs-love

Sep 23, 2011
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Dan57 said:
God forgives the repentant and we are told to forgive others as God has forgiven us. So yes, its important to forgive someone when they repent (Luke 17:3). But I don't think that Christians are suppose to forgive everyone automatically or unconditionally. Doing so could be very detrimental to your health.

Matthew 6:9-13King James Version (KJV)
9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely true Angelina!

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dan57 said:
I am not sure I agree, Dan. Jesus forgave those who were crucifying him while they mocked him. Steven forgave the men who were stoning him. Yes, we should forgive repeatedly when people ask us to, but we should also forgive those who do not ask for forgiveness. The reality is, most people will not approach us and specifically ask for forgiveness, even when they know they have wronged us. I dont think the only time we should forgive is if someone specifically asks. In that case, we wouldnt have to forgive much at all. I think the point Jesus is making in Luke 17 is that we must not place limits on forgiveness or decide when enough is enough. Rather, we should be eager to forgive, even if the same person has hurt us multiple times.

I dont think this means we cannot have boundaries. We can forgive without placing ourselves in a position where someone can hurt us again. I think forgiveness can mean that we let go of the harm someone has done to us and we want good for them. However, it doesnt mean that we must put ourselves in a position to be injured by that person repeatedly. For instance, a friend can borrow my car and go get drunk in it and tear it up and let it roll off a cliff. I can forgive him for destroying my property and causing me great financial loss. I can desire the best for him and even decide to forgive the financial debt (even if he doesnt specifically ask). But that doesnt mean that I turn around hand him the keys to my next car.