The Voice of God ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
so who has heard His voice - exactly how did He communicate - was it to your ears or your heart or head or soul or spirit or mind - who or what heard or interpreted etc - twinc

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
so who has heard His voice - exactly how did He communicate - was it to your ears or your heart or head or soul or spirit or mind - who or what heard or interpreted etc - twinc

Yes to all of them.
The first time I heard His voice was a nudging in my heart..one that caused me to start seeking Him.
The next time it was through the preached word.
Then many many times the Voice came through a certain verse of scripture just jumping up off the page into my heart.

And just once , it was early morning of Christmas Eve 1975 I heard the audible voice of God booming through our bedroom. It shook the place...

So yes..His Voice has always been recognized in my spirit and in my heart.

Reactions: amadeus

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Yes to all of them.
The first time I heard His voice was a nudging in my heart..one that caused me to start seeking Him.
The next time it was through the preached word.
Then many many times the Voice came through a certain verse of scripture just jumping up off the page into my heart.

And just once , it was early morning of Christmas Eve 1975 I heard the audible voice of God booming through our bedroom. It shook the place...

So yes..His Voice has always been recognized in my spirit and in my heart.

what made you instantly accept it was God since the best brains over the centuries and even now are still trying to work out how what is claimed by you and some others is possible viz that the immaterial[spiritual] can possibly communicate with the material[physical] - btw you did not say where your heart was that was nudged or where soul, spirit, mind etc are - twinc

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
what made you instantly accept it was God since the best brains over the centuries and even now are still trying to work out how what is claimed by you and some others is possible viz that the immaterial[spiritual] can possibly communicate with the material[physical] - btw you did not say where your heart was that was nudged or where soul, spirit, mind etc are - twinc

Twinc even the "best brains over the centuries " does not equal God's best, but just man, human best.
Hearing the voice of God is a spiritual thing therefore spiritual heard.

You say= "viz that the immaterial[spiritual] can possibly communicate with the material[physical] "
Come on twinc, what a load of old rubbish that is!
If that were true the Gabriel did not speak to Mary. And God never spoke to Adam..is that what you really believe!!o_O

You said - " btw you did not say where your heart was that was nudged or where soul, spirit, mind etc are " Yes I did , in the new thread that you just started about the heart , soul and spirit.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Twinc even the "best brains over the centuries " does not equal God's best, but just man, human best.
Hearing the voice of God is a spiritual thing therefore spiritual heard.

You say= "viz that the immaterial[spiritual] can possibly communicate with the material[physical] "
Come on twinc, what a load of old rubbish that is!
If that were true the Gabriel did not speak to Mary. And God never spoke to Adam..is that what you really believe!!o_O

You said - " btw you did not say where your heart was that was nudged or where soul, spirit, mind etc are " Yes I did , in the new thread that you just started about the heart , soul and spirit.

that answer was incorrect and a bit strange to say the least - like the Holy Spirit the angel Gabriel was sent not just conjured up as and when desired or on demand - twinc

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
that answer was incorrect and a bit strange to say the least - like the Holy Spirit the angel Gabriel was sent not just conjured up as and when desired or on demand - twinc

Haha! Who are you to tell anyone what is "correct" and what is not...who died and made you the authority? :D

Come on twinc...what you say here above is a load of old codswollop.
I think you make it up as you go along! :)

Bless you...H

Reactions: bbyrd009

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Haha! Who are you to tell anyone what is "correct" and what is not...who died and made you the authority? :D

Bless you...H

not at all - go back and have another look at your answer to my post 'A Trinity' where you rightly state Adam was a spiritual being communicating with a spiritual being this was also the case with Mary and she was addressed as such by him but not by some humans who presume they know better - twinc

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We will have to just agree to differ.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When I first heard His voice it was due to failure in life circumstances that drew me toward God. I wasn't reading the word and had no desire to. I did most of the talking and sometimes, yes, I answered my own questions. It was all head, and sometimes imaginary. But soon there was a conflict.

I have never heard an audible voice. After praying for the desire to read His word, that prayer was answered. Then it became Him speaking; through His word. I ask questions and He answers. I know it is Him because I will forget about the question and then out of nowhere, without any struggle to find the answer: He will reply. Now it is no longer a head thing, but a heart thing. There is a yearning and an override to my way of thinking that is opposite to who I was before the relationship began.

You asked in another post: how do we know it is Him we are hearing (or something similar). Twinc, I have given this a lot of thought and have struggled and struggled with this question and asked Him to help me with it. Someone told me people who talk to God, have an imaginary friend. So, what makes God different from an imaginary friend that a person has a conversation with. How can we know if God is the one talking, or if we are taking to ourself? I only have one answer and for me it is certain. Imaginary friends allow a person to escape from reality into some fantasy. Every single thing in this life provides an escape from reality into a fantasy: Money, addictions, lies, power. We lie and say we are happy in the fantasy but that is the biggest deception of all. All the lust and unfulfilling pleasures of life that help a person escape into a lie, it is all fantasy.

God is the opposite: He calls a person out of a fantasy into reality. He asks for the hard stuff like telling the truth when it hurts, facing your fears, confronting disappointments and failures. Walking in your truth. He asks for honesty and transparency; to ourself and others. He shines light where their was once darkness. That is how I know His voice is real. It is a voice not of this world. The book of Ecclesiastes speaks to the voice of fantasy(lies of satisfaction but it is all vanity) verses what is reality.

Ecclesiastes 12:13-14
[13] Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. [14] For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Joh 10:14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

First time I was spoken to by teh Holy Spirit was coming out of mass in 1979 or 80 ,I did not know it was teh Holy Spirit was years before I realized what had happened, but I did know with no doubt that my life was not going to be the same anymore, and I have spoken to God in a vision and Jesus in my spirit and in visions, that is what Christ has made avaliable to men if they would but believe. His best saved till last.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I first heard His voice it was due to failure in life circumstances that drew me toward God. I wasn't reading the word and had no desire to. I did most of the talking and sometimes, yes, I answered my own questions. It was all head, and sometimes imaginary. But soon there was a conflict.

I have never heard an audible voice. After praying for the desire to read His word, that prayer was answered. Then it became Him speaking; through His word. I ask questions and He answers. I know it is Him because I will forget about the question and then out of nowhere, without any struggle to find the answer: He will reply. Now it is no longer a head thing, but a heart thing. There is a yearning and an override to my way of thinking that is opposite to who I was before the relationship began.

You asked in another post: how do we know it is Him we are hearing (or something similar). Twinc, I have given this a lot of thought and have struggled and struggled with this question and asked Him to help me with it. Someone told me people who talk to God, have an imaginary friend. So, what makes God different from an imaginary friend that a person has a conversation with. How can we know if God is the one talking, or if we are taking to ourself? I only have one answer and for me it is certain. Imaginary friends allow a person to escape from reality into some fantasy. Every single thing in this life provides an escape from reality into a fantasy: Money, addictions, lies, power. We lie and say we are happy in the fantasy but that is the biggest deception of all. All the lust and unfulfilling pleasures of life that help a person escape into a lie, it is all fantasy.

God is the opposite: He calls a person out of a fantasy into reality. He asks for the hard stuff like telling the truth when it hurts, facing your fears, confronting disappointments and failures. Walking in your truth. He asks for honesty and transparency; to ourself and others. He shines light where their was once darkness. That is how I know His voice is real. It is a voice not of this world. The book of Ecclesiastes speaks to the voice of fantasy(lies of satisfaction but it is all vanity) verses what is reality.

Ecclesiastes 12:13-14
[13] Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. [14] For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Excellent post.
If He is nothing more than an 'imaginary friend'...then He sure gives us good advice. :D
But, we know that He is a Friend..but not imaginary ...yet some will no doubt still call an a spiritual Friend, ' imaginary'...they so often do...but we let 'em, because they have never experienced Him. :)

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Excellent post.
If He is nothing more than an 'imaginary friend'...then He sure gives us good advice. :D
But, we know that He is a Friend..but not imaginary ...yet some will no doubt still call an a spiritual Friend, ' imaginary'...they so often do...but we let 'em, because they have never experienced Him. :)

I cannot and nor should others imho concern themselves much too much with what is mostly way out, weird and wacky but listen to what God says and understand what He says at Hebrews 1 that in times past God did indeed speak in way out, weird and wacky ways but in these days He speaks and has spoken through His Son via His scriptures and His Church - twinc

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My first encounter with God in my memory was when I was 6 years old and being baptized as a Catholic. I knew nothing about what the Bible says or about the church taught, but I knew there was a God there with me in that ceremony. He spoke to me not audibly but in my heart. There were of course people there, including priest, God-parents and natural parents, but the communication was between me and Him only. My relationship with Him moved slowly from there, but it has never really stopped. At my worst times, and there were many very bad ones, He was always there.

Give God the glory!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He says at Hebrews 1 that in times past God did indeed speak in way out, weird and wacky ways but in these days He speaks and has spoken through His Son via His scriptures and His Church - twinc
Oh dear twinc ...Now you are adding to what is written...a "No No".

Please quote me a scripture where it says "God now speaks to us through His scriptures and His Church????:eek:

That verse you quoted SAYS :- " God, having of old time spoken unto the fathers in the prophets by divers portions and in divers manners, 2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son, whom He hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds.."
NO MENTION of "The Church " so please find me a scripture verse.
Thank you.

Plus I object to your use of the words- quote God as: " God did indeed speak in way out, weird and wacky ways "!!!! That to me is not funny or cleaver.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Bless you...H
no shortage of pontiffs making deterministic statements yet, is there lol
none of us would ever think of sitting in the Holy of Holies though, right

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
i guess we shouldn't forget that the voice of God is responsible for strong delusions, too, right

Yep, in the case of those who believe that they have heard the voice of God.
I guess we have all met them.
Which takes us back to knowing how to hear, and then testing what we believe that we have heard! There must be a second witness to what "God has said"...or like you say...we fall into deception...
..which I am sure we have all done from time to time...especially when we were younger and "so sure of ourself".. ( If indeed we are brave enough to admit it! lol )

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I can still recall when I first heard his audible voice. I was standing on the balcony of our home which overlooked a pine forest and native bush. I heard a voice call my name and looked around but saw nothing. I heard it again and thought it may be my brothers so I called back, "here I am" but they were not around anywhere. Then I heard that voice calling me again but this time I heard it in my ear. I replied, "who are you?" and he said "You know who I am" I was taken aback a little because I knew that the voice that was speaking to me was Jesus. How do you know it was Jesus you may ask? ~ I have only one answer....because I know that I know that I know that it was Jesus speaking to me that day! :) and I have never been the same since! Praise God!!!

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Angelina Wow...that is awesome! :)

Did you ever read the book " I Dared To Call Him Father" Your testimony reminded me of her.
Written by Bilquis Sheikh a wealthy Muslim lady, beautiful house and lovely gardens ( Pakistan) While walking in her garden she heard a Voice. Got scared and ignored it ran in doors...it happen again ... Finally she knew it was God.
Boy did it cost her.
Great testimony...I recommend it. :)

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear twinc ...Now you are adding to what is written...a "No No".

Please quote me a scripture where it says "God now speaks to us through His scriptures and His Church????:eek:

That verse you quoted SAYS :- " God, having of old time spoken unto the fathers in the prophets by divers portions and in divers manners, 2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son, whom He hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds.."
NO MENTION of "The Church " so please find me a scripture verse.
Thank you.

Plus I object to your use of the words- quote God as: " God did indeed speak in way out, weird and wacky ways "!!!! That to me is not funny or cleaver.

if only most Christians would only just carefully and prayerfully read and interpret scriptures it would save a lot of bickering etc - here just a little word which means a lot has been missed - it says us - twinc