"The WAY" = Christianity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m placing this topic in the bible Study section, because this will be a good study for those who might be interested in the start of Christianity, or better said, the rise of Christianity.

Years ago, I looked scantly at this subject matter, “THE WAY”. what got me to re-examine this matter again was some research I did on Matthew 2:23 "And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene”. the question came up, “where is this prophecy made in the OT. As said, I did some research, but now it peek my interest again. well, one thing lead to another. Here is what I found out so far, and need your help in expanding the result.

#1. The Lord Jesus being called a Nazarene, is not referencing him to an inhabitant of the city of Nazareth only, but could it be a “TITLE” of a, or ONE PERSON from the city of Nazareth?. Now that was a big revelation by it self.

#2. Did this title of the Lord Jesus connected him to a religious sect, called the “WAY”?

#3. Was this religious sect, called the “WAY” was it prophesied in the OT?

#4. Did this religious sect, called the “WAY” was identified by another name that connected it to the Title that might have been used by the Lord Jesus in prophecy?.

#5. Did this religious sect, called the “WAY”, and possibly be identified by another name had a “ringleader” who we know of today as the apostle Paul?

#6. also did this religious sect, called the “WAY”, was already in practice in the OT?

#7. Was this religious sect, called the “WAY”, was it the forerunner to the set we call Christianity today?

Please note, all of these statements are put in the form of a “QUESTION”. and the reason for this, I’m still doing research on the matter and, I’m not going to put myself out on a limb without cause....:). But also the other reason why I’m doing this is to have your impute, in case that if this is true, then we all can share in the the harvest of the word of God.

My aim is to connect this religious sect, called the “WAY” to what we call Christianity today.

To do this, I will reveal what I have learned Piece by Piece and let those who is interested reply.

Thanks in advance.

My first Piece, below.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First clue, The scripture. Matthew 2:23 "And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene”.

There are a few things to note in this scripture:

a. “that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets”. prophets here are plural, meaning more than one prophet. But where, and by which prophets spoke this prophecy. If I’m correct, just about all of them in one way or another.

b. “He” shall be called a Nazarene. NOT “THEY” shall be called a Nazarene, as in any inhabitant or native of Nazareth. no, but “HE” shall be called a Nazarene, meaning only “ONE” from Nazareth shall be called a Nazarene in such a way. This is very significant. The prophecy centers only on ONE particular person.

let’s get to the meat of the subject, this name, Nazarene”. According to the new Unger’s bible Dictionary, Naz´arene means an inhabitant or native of Nazareth, as Matthew 21:11; etc., and rendered “from Nazareth.” The term Nazarene (Gk. Nazōraios) occurs in Matthew 2:23; Mark 14:67; 16:6; Luke 24:19; Acts 2:22; 24:5; etc. and should have been rendered Nazoraean in English. At first it was applied to Jesus naturally and properly, as defining His residence. In the process of time its population became mixed with other peoples, its dialect rough, provincial, and strange, and its people seditious, so that they were held in little consideration. “The name of Nazarene was but another word for despised one. Hence, although no prophet has ever said anything of the word Nazarene, yet all those prophecies describing the Messiah as a despised one are fulfilled in His being a Nazarene. But we are convinced that something more than this is intended. The Heb. word for Nazareth was Netzer, a branch, or rather germ.… Nazareth is called a germ from its insignificance, yet it shall through Him, fill the earth with its importance” (Whedon, Com., ad loc.). The Christians were called “Nazarenes” (Acts 24:5), a contemptuous appellation, as the followers of Jesus, whose presumed descent from Nazareth stamped Him as a false Messiah.

this definition tells us a lot.

A. This person from Nazareth, being called a Nazarene, first have an association with this name. “The name of Nazarene was but another word for despised one”. Can we associate Jesus with this despised one? I say yes. Scripture, Isaiah 53:1-3 "Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? 2 "For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. 3 "He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not”. Here, we have the “he”, the ONE who Matthews spoke of as only one, from Nazareth, “HE”, was “despised”. that’s down to the person in prophecy, can't get any more accurate that that.

B. Now, that “TITLE” of the despised one. The definition states, “The Heb. word for Nazareth was Netzer, a branch. Only “ONE” man from the city of Nazareth carry this “TITLE” the branch. Scripture, Zechariah 6:12 "And speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the LORD”. The “man” only one, shall “grow” up out of his place, (sound just like Isaiah 53). Now we have two prophets so far. Matthews said prophets meaning more than one. Let’s get a third prophet. Zechariah 3:8-10 "Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they are men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the BRANCH. :9 "For behold the stone that I have laid before Joshua; upon one stone shall be seven eyes: behold, I will engrave the graving thereof, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day. 10 "In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, shall ye call every man his neighbour under the vine and under the fig tree”. Well we have three prophets so far. and we know that the LORD removed the iniquity of that land in one day., because the Lord Jesus died on the cross only in one day. so the prophecy of the branch is Jesus.

C. Also the definition states something that will rocket us fast to the NT quickly with a surprise. It said, “The Christians were called “Nazarenes” (Acts 24:5), a contemptuous appellation, as the followers of Jesus, whose presumed descent from Nazareth stamped Him as a false Messiah. Let’s look at Acts 24:5. Go ahead and read it for yourself. The apostle Paul was brought before the Governor by Ananias the high priest with the elders, and with a certain orator named Tertullus, to testify against Paul. And from their testimony we find this in verses 5, “For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes”. STOP, hold the press. Paul was a ringleader of this sect called the Nazarenes? But notice what the term Nazarenes means. It is the Greek word, G3480 Ναζωραῖος Nazoraios (na-zō-rai'-os) n/g.

1. a Nazoraean, i.e. inhabitant of Nazareth.

2. (by extension) a Christian.

[from G3478]
KJV: Nazarene, of Nazareth
Root(s): G3478

Looking at definition #1, Paul was not a resident of Nazareth, but the Lord Jesus was. definition #2. Open the knowledge box, (by extension) a Christian. so the disciples was called Christians now do one see where I'm going with this?.

this should get us started on our way…. Or may I say, “THE WAY”.

PCY.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Reading along on here. :)

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul the apostle, before he was one of the ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes, (Christian, the despised ones), persecuted a little-known sect called the “WAY”. Scripture, Acts 9:1 "And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest, :2 "And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem”.

The term “WAY” here, is the Greek word, G3598 ὁδός hodos (ho-d̮os') n. according to Vine's Expository Dictionary it denotes,
1. (a) a natural path, road, way," frequent in the Synoptic Gospels; elsewhere, e.g., Acts 8:26; 1Thess 3:11; Jas 2:25; Rev 16:12;
2. (b) "a traveler's way" (See JOURNEY);
3. (c) metaphorically, of "a course of conduct," or "way of thinking," e.g., of righteousness, Matt 21:32; 2Pet 2:21; of God, Matt 22:16, and parallels, i.e., the "way" instructed and approved by God; so Acts 18:26; Heb 3:10, "My ways" (cp. Rev 15:3); of the Lord, Acts 18:25; "that leadeth to destruction," Matt 7:13; "... unto life," Matt 7:14; of peace, Luke 1:79; Rom 3:17; of Paul's "ways" in Christ, 1Cor 1:17 (plural); "more excellent" (of love), 1Cor 12:31; of truth, 2Pet 2:2; of the right "way," 2Pet 2:15; of Balaam (id); of Cain, Jude 1:11; of a "way" consisting in what is from God, e.g., of life, Acts 2:28 (plural); of salvation, Acts 16:17; personified, of Christ as the means of access to the Father, John 14:6;
4. of the course followed and characterized by the followers of Christ, Acts 9:2; Acts 19:9, Acts 19:23; Acts 24:22.

Well now we have a connection. Definition #3 states, metaphorically, of "a course of conduct," or "way of thinking," e.g., of righteousness. So WAY do not mean a road, but a course of conduct," or "way of thinking,"
A course of conduct is a PATTERN of life in which one lives. And this pattern is based on the way one thinks.
Combined with definition #4, “the course followed and characterized by the followers of Christ”. Now we have a connection of the WAY to Christians or Christianity.

This “NEW WAY” of Living, or this NEW WAY of thinking is clearly seen in John 14:6 , when the Lord Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me”.
This word, this TERM “WAY” is the Same word used in Acts 9:2 G3598 ὁδός hodos (ho-d̮os') n
The Lord Jesus says he is the “WAY” and this is bared out in his followers, Acts, 19:9, Acts 19:23, Acts24:22

THE “WAY” and new way of thinking, from the OT covenant to the New way, of the NT covenant, puts our apostle Paul when converted, in the forefront of these despised one, the RINGLEADER.

Next time we will discover the “WAY” in the OT.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Paul the apostle, before he was one of the ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes, (Christian, the despised ones), persecuted a little-known sect called the “WAY”. Scripture, Acts 9:1 "And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest, :2 "And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem”.

The term “WAY” here, is the Greek word, G3598 ὁδός hodos (ho-d̮os') n. according to Vine's Expository Dictionary it denotes,
1. (a) a natural path, road, way," frequent in the Synoptic Gospels; elsewhere, e.g., Acts 8:26; 1Thess 3:11; Jas 2:25; Rev 16:12;
2. (b) "a traveler's way" (See JOURNEY);
3. (c) metaphorically, of "a course of conduct," or "way of thinking," e.g., of righteousness, Matt 21:32; 2Pet 2:21; of God, Matt 22:16, and parallels, i.e., the "way" instructed and approved by God; so Acts 18:26; Heb 3:10, "My ways" (cp. Rev 15:3); of the Lord, Acts 18:25; "that leadeth to destruction," Matt 7:13; "... unto life," Matt 7:14; of peace, Luke 1:79; Rom 3:17; of Paul's "ways" in Christ, 1Cor 1:17 (plural); "more excellent" (of love), 1Cor 12:31; of truth, 2Pet 2:2; of the right "way," 2Pet 2:15; of Balaam (id); of Cain, Jude 1:11; of a "way" consisting in what is from God, e.g., of life, Acts 2:28 (plural); of salvation, Acts 16:17; personified, of Christ as the means of access to the Father, John 14:6;
4. of the course followed and characterized by the followers of Christ, Acts 9:2; Acts 19:9, Acts 19:23; Acts 24:22.

Well now we have a connection. Definition #3 states, metaphorically, of "a course of conduct," or "way of thinking," e.g., of righteousness. So WAY do not mean a road, but a course of conduct," or "way of thinking,"
A course of conduct is a PATTERN of life in which one lives. And this pattern is based on the way one thinks.
Combined with definition #4, “the course followed and characterized by the followers of Christ”. Now we have a connection of the WAY to Christians or Christianity.

This “NEW WAY” of Living, or this NEW WAY of thinking is clearly seen in John 14:6 , when the Lord Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me”.
This word, this TERM “WAY” is the Same word used in Acts 9:2 G3598 ὁδός hodos (ho-d̮os') n
The Lord Jesus says he is the “WAY” and this is bared out in his followers, Acts, 19:9, Acts 19:23, Acts24:22

THE “WAY” and new way of thinking, from the OT covenant to the New way, of the NT covenant, puts our apostle Paul when converted, in the forefront of these despised one, the RINGLEADER.

Next time we will discover the “WAY” in the OT.

my thread 'The Resurrection - six thousand years later' was heading in the same direction for all paths or ways that have been or shall be pass by 'The Way' of Gethsamane = despised/rejected - it is glaringly clear but not preached, taught or accepted as such but as a prosperity gospel of love,joy,peace etc - Christianity has been and still is is the way of despising, trials, tribulations, rejection, persecutions etc - make sure you do not miss it but see who is preaching or teaching what and which is 'The[true]Way even on our Christian forums - twinc

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
my thread 'The Resurrection - six thousand years later' was heading in the same direction for all paths or ways that have been or shall be pass by 'The Way' of Gethsamane = despised/rejected - it is glaringly clear but not preached, taught or accepted as such but as a prosperity gospel of love,joy,peace etc - Christianity has been and still is is the way of despising, trials, tribulations, rejection, persecutions etc - make sure you do not miss it but see who is preaching or teaching what and which is 'The[true]Way even on our Christian forums - twinc
First thanks for reading the topic with understanding. second I'll take a look at your thread.

Now to the business at hand. using the Niobi Patchworkid's Personal Study Bible. Author: Niobi H. Watson, it gave some good reference on this Word the "way" or "path" when used to identify this course of conduct, or Life. there are two old testament words that IDENTIFY this "WAY" or "PATH. they are,
#1. WAY: H1870 דֶּרֶךְ derek (deh'-rek) n-m.
1. a road (as trodden).
2. (figuratively) a course of life or mode of action, often adverb.
[from H1869]
KJV: along, away, because of, + by, conversation, custom, (east-)ward, journey, manner, passenger, through, toward, (high-) (path-)way(-side), whither(-soever).

#2. PATH: H734 אֹרחַ 'orach (o'-rach) n-m.
1. (literally or figuratively) a well-trodden road.
2. (also) a caravan.
[from H732]
KJV: manner, path, race, rank, traveller, troop, (by-, high-)way.
Root(s): H732

Notice, both definitions can be translated as "Manner". but take notice of #2 PATH as how it can be translated, "race". a word the apostle Paul used a couple of times.

I. Figurative use -of Holiness: also the Way of Life.
Psalms 16:11 "Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore".
here the word "path" is used to identify "this Life". Here the "Path" or MANNER of LIFE is the Hebrew word H734 אֹרחַ 'orach (o'-rach) n-m. as said, kjv can translate this word as MANNER, meaning, (a). a way in which a thing is done or happens. (b). a person's outward bearing or way of behaving toward others. this meaning is bared out in Niobi dictionary next suggestive use. Isaiah 35:8 "And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein". here is the clear cut meaning of this "WAY", Holiness. "be ye holy for I AM Holy", saith the Lord.

so clearly we now see that this way is a WAY of HOLINESS, and Christian are to be HOLY. I have a thought on this but I'll hold it for NOW.

but the Niobi dictionary suggest another use. Jeremiah 6:16 "Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein".

this is a good verse because it correspond to Matthew 11:28-30 in that the Lord Jesus, (who is the way) will give us REST, listen, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 "For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light".
that nailed it.

also the Dictionary give this scripture. Hosea 14:9 "Who is wise, and he shall understand these things? prudent, and he shall know them? for the ways of the LORD are right, and the just shall walk in them: but the transgressors shall fall therein".

PCY

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
II. THE "WAY" Of Righteousness, NARROW is the "STRAIT" Gate

Matthew 7:13 & 14 "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 "Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

two words in these two verses, open the knowledge of Christ. a. Narrow. and b. Strait

Narrow, according to Vine dictionary,
G2346 θλίβω thlibo (thliy'-ɓō) v.
"to press," is translated "narrow" in Matt 7:14, AV, lit., "narrowed" (RV, "straitened;" the verb is in the perfect participle, Passive Voice), i.e., hemmed in, like a mountain gorge; the way is rendered "narrow" by the Divine conditions, which make it impossible for any to enter who think the entrance depends upon self-merit, or who still incline towards sin, or desire to continue in evil. see See AFFLICT, No. 4.

A-4,Verb,G2346, thlibo
"to suffer affliction, to be troubled," has reference to sufferings due to the pressure of circumstances, or the antagonism of persons, 1Thess 3:4; 2Thess 1:6-7; "straitened," in Matt 7:14 (RV); "throng," Mark 3:9; "afflicted," 2Cor 1:6; 2Cor 7:5 (RV); 1Tim 5:10; Heb 11:37; "pressed," 2Cor 4:8. Both the verb and the noun (See B, No. 4), when used of the present experience of believers, refer almost invariably to that which comes upon them from without

as Christian the apostle Paul is on point about suffering, Romans 8:13-18 "For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. 14 "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 15 "For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 16 "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: 17 "And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together 18 "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us".

in all his letters he deals with our suffering to enter.

Now, STRAIT. which is the "WAY of holiness, be "holy" which we're "SAINTS". according to Mickelson's Enhanced Strong's Dictionaries of the Greek and Hebrew Testaments
STRAIT: G4728 στενός stenos (ste-nos') adj.
narrow and obstructed (narrow from obstacles standing close about).
[probably from the base of G2476]
KJV: strait
Root(s): G2476

the base of this word shed some light on the subject.
G2476 ἵστημι histemi (hiy'-stee-miy) v.
στάω stao (staō') [used in certain tenses]
to stand.
KJV: abide, appoint, bring, continue, covenant, establish, hold up, lay, present, set (up), stanch, stand (by, forth, still, up)

where have we seen these words before, "APPOINT" covenant, establish, and set.
let's start with "Appoint". and we will first start in the Old testament.
Exodus 19:6 "And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel".

what do the word "holy" here mans? it is the Hebrew word,
H6918 קָדוֹשׁ qadowsh (kaw-doshe') adj.
קָדֹשׁ qadosh (kaw-doshe')
1. holy (ceremonially or morally).
2. (as noun) God.
3. (by eminence) an angel, a saint, a sanctuary.
[from H6942]
KJV: holy (One), saint.
Root(s): H6942

Saint, sanctuary, a holy building, and the root of this word "holy" is the give away,
H6942 קָדַשׁ qadash (kaw-dash') v.
1. to be clean (ceremonially or morally).
2. (causatively) to make, pronounce or observe as clean (ceremonially or morally).
[a primitive root]
KJV: appoint, bid, consecrate, dedicate, defile, hallow, (be, keep) holy(-er, place), keep, prepare, proclaim, purify, sanctify(-ied one, self), X wholly

there is our word "APPOINT". let's see it clearly, Deuteronomy 7:6 "For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth".

the word "Chosen" is
H977 בָּחַר bachar (baw-char') v.
1. (properly) to try.
2. (by implication) to select.
[a primitive root]
KJV: acceptable, appoint, choose (choice), excellent, join, be rather, require.

so chosen is APPOINT, and the apostle peter said, we're a CHOSEN GENERATION of Holy Priest. 1 Peter 2:9 "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light".

we're chosen/appointed, and CALLED OUT, and the called out ONES are called "CHRISTIANS", SAINTS THE CHURCH.

conclusion, God called out his church even in the OT. Deuteronomy 7:6 "For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth". and to be in his church we must come by the "WAY" of being despised, suffering, but gaining the Glory of god by being DVINE "PARTAKERS" of his NATURE.

PCY.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IV. Doctrine taught by Christ

John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me".

The Lord Jesus the way, had many followers which was the despised religion, which became what we know it today, Christianity.

Acts 9:2 "And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.

Acts 19:23 "And the same time there arose no small stir about that way.

Acts 22:4 "And I persecuted this way unto the death, binding and delivering into prisons both men and women". (in reference to Acts 9:2 above).

Acts 24:5 "For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes".

(A point to make here about "Sedition". in the Unger's Bible Dictionary, it said this about the inhabitant or native of Nazareth. "In the process of time its population became mixed with other peoples, its dialect rough, provincial, and strange, and its people seditious, so that they were held in little consideration. Sedition means, conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch. just what the charge of the apostle Paul here in the verse above).

Acts 24:14 "But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets".

Acts 24:22 "And when Felix heard these things, having more perfect knowledge of that way, he deferred them, and said, When Lysias the chief captain shall come down, I will know the uttermost of your matter".

there is no doubt that the way also known as the Nazarenes developed into what we call Christianity today.

PCY.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
IV. Doctrine taught by Christ

John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me".

The Lord Jesus the way, had many followers which was the despised religion, which became what we know it today, Christianity.

Acts 9:2 "And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.

Acts 19:23 "And the same time there arose no small stir about that way.

Acts 22:4 "And I persecuted this way unto the death, binding and delivering into prisons both men and women". (in reference to Acts 9:2 above).

Acts 24:5 "For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes".

(A point to make here about "Sedition". in the Unger's Bible Dictionary, it said this about the inhabitant or native of Nazareth. "In the process of time its population became mixed with other peoples, its dialect rough, provincial, and strange, and its people seditious, so that they were held in little consideration. Sedition means, conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch. just what the charge of the apostle Paul here in the verse above).

Acts 24:14 "But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets".

Acts 24:22 "And when Felix heard these things, having more perfect knowledge of that way, he deferred them, and said, When Lysias the chief captain shall come down, I will know the uttermost of your matter".

there is no doubt that the way also known as the Nazarenes developed into what we call Christianity today.

PCY.

it is utterly and totally misunderstood now as even before that the search for all mankind has been and is for God or a way or the way - it seems man being warped cannot find it but it has been so to speak found for him by God imho - all God's children will be saved by Him as their Saviour imho - twinc

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
first thanks for the reply. as said in post #7, "the way is rendered "narrow" by the Divine conditions, which make it impossible for any to enter who think the entrance depends upon self-merit, or who still incline towards sin, or desire to continue in evil".

PCY.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@101G
Thank you for your extensive words with regard to "Nazarene". I remember checking it out briefly years ago due chiefly to notes in Bible indicating that there was no OT reference other than possibly a connection with the vow of the Nazarite. I found nothing in particular and left it alone. You have piqued my interest with what you have written here.

Give God the glory!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus, all glory to the Lord Jesus. I'm still researching this out.

a great reference bible dictionary is the Niobi Patchworkid's Personal Study Bible. Author: Niobi H. Watson. it had some good information on the "way".

God bless you in your studies.

PCY.

Reactions: amadeus

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Years ago, I looked scantly at this subject matter, “THE WAY”. what got me to re-examine this matter again was some research I did on Matthew 2:23 "And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene”. the question came up, “where is this prophecy made in the OT. As said, I did some research, but now it peek my interest again. well, one thing lead to another. Here is what I found out so far, and need your help in expanding the result.
This is actually an easy question to answer - for anybody who understands Jewish teaching.
The Jews didn't simply rely on the Scriptures - like the Protestants of today. They, like the Catholic Church rely on BOTH Scripture AND Tradition.

Matt. 2:23 says:

"And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was SPOKEN by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene”.

The "spoken" word being referenced here is Oral Tradition.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Isa. 35:8, 54:13-17 – this prophecy refers to the Church as the Holy Way where sons will be taught by God and they will not err. The Church has been given the gift of infallibility when teaching about faith and morals, where her sons are taught directly by God and will not err. This gift of infallibility means that the Church is prevented from teaching error by the power of the Holy Spirit (it does not mean that Church leaders do not sin!)

Acts 9:2; 22:4; 24:14,22 – the early Church is identified as the “Way” prophesied in Isaiah 35:8 where fools will not err therein.

Matt. 10:20; Luke 12:12 – Jesus tells His apostles it is not they who speak, but the Spirit of their Father speaking through them. If the Spirit is the one speaking and leading the Church, the Church cannot err on matters of faith and morals. (heaven cannot bind errors)
The Biblical Church - Scripture Catholic

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isa. 35:8, 54:13-17 – this prophecy refers to the Church as the Holy Way where sons will be taught by God and they will not err. The Church has been given the gift of infallibility when teaching about faith and morals, where her sons are taught directly by God and will not err. This gift of infallibility means that the Church is prevented from teaching error by the power of the Holy Spirit (it does not mean that Church leaders do not sin!)

Acts 9:2; 22:4; 24:14,22 – the early Church is identified as the “Way” prophesied in Isaiah 35:8 where fools will not err therein.

Matt. 10:20; Luke 12:12 – Jesus tells His apostles it is not they who speak, but the Spirit of their Father speaking through them. If the Spirit is the one speaking and leading the Church, the Church cannot err on matters of faith and morals. (heaven cannot bind errors)
The Biblical Church - Scripture Catholic
@epostle1, Greeting, I agree that this is the Church that the Lord Jesus built. and I agree with you on the fact that it's God the Lord Jesus, the Holy Spirit who TEACHES us. 1 Corinthians 2:13 & 14 "Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned". Jeremiah 31:34 Points this out, "And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more". for the Lord Jesus will be in us to teach, or feed the flock of God.

so the Lord Jesus is correct when he says "I AM the Way". glory to God.

PCY.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is actually an easy question to answer - for anybody who understands Jewish teaching.
The Jews didn't simply rely on the Scriptures - like the Protestants of today. They, like the Catholic Church rely on BOTH Scripture AND Tradition.

Matt. 2:23 says:

"And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was SPOKEN by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene”.

The "spoken" word being referenced here is Oral Tradition.

For some reason, I had a feeling the Catholics would somehow put their noses into this topic, specially BoL who believes along with his church that they are infallible as if the word of God came only to them (1 Corinthians 14:36).

Yet, he does not have any inkling at all as to the meaning of Matthew 2:23 to which he referenced. Most importantly, Catholics don’t know how and who wrote the Bible so they rely on men’s traditions.

If the Catholics wanted to know who wrote the Bible they should memorize 2 Peter 1:21:

For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Not including God telling Moses and Jeremiah to write a book (Bible) all that He dictated to them.

To God Be The Glory

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For some reason, I had a feeling the Catholics would somehow put their noses into this topic, specially BoL who believes along with his church that they are infallible as if the word of God came only to them (1 Corinthians 14:36).
You are as angry as you are confused. You haven't a clue what infallibility means, so until you do, you shouldn't comment on it, you look silly. The Bible, historically speaking, came from the Catholic Church. We don't own it's truths. Get over yourself.
Yet, he does not have any inkling at all as to the meaning of Matthew 2:23 to which he referenced. Most importantly, Catholics don’t know how and who wrote the Bible so they rely on men’s traditions.
That's too stupid to reply to. You have so much anti-Roman animus you can't see straight.
If the Catholics wanted to know who wrote the Bible they should memorize 2 Peter 1:21:
For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
If the 1st Pope wrote 2 Peter then logically we know who wrote it. You can't even recognize Peter's distinct office.
Not including God telling Moses and Jeremiah to write a book (Bible) all that He dictated to them.
Moses and Jeremiah were physically overcome by God to write??? That's occult channeling, not writing inspired text.

Last edited by a moderator:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To God Be The Glory
Thank you for that impotent attack.
You keep stating that neither I nor any other Catholic knows their Bible - yet you cannot explain Matt. 2:23.

The fact that you refuse to comprehend is that God gave the Jews BOTH the written AND the oral Traditions.
The Catholic Church that Jesus established ALSO relies on both, as we read from Paul's Letter to the Thessalonians:

2 Thess 2:15

"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, whether by an ORAL STATEMENT - OR by a LETTER from us."

There - now try to rationalize that away . . .

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m placing this topic in the bible Study section, because this will be a good study for those who might be interested in the start of Christianity, or better said, the rise of Christianity.

#1. The Lord Jesus being called a Nazarene, is not referencing him to an inhabitant of the city of Nazareth only, but could it be a “TITLE” of a, or ONE PERSON from the city of Nazareth?. Now that was a big revelation by it self.

#2. Did this title of the Lord Jesus connected him to a religious sect, called the “WAY”?

#3. Was this religious sect, called the “WAY” was it prophesied in the OT?

#4. Did this religious sect, called the “WAY” was identified by another name that connected it to the Title that might have been used by the Lord Jesus in prophecy?.

#5. Did this religious sect, called the “WAY”, and possibly be identified by another name had a “ringleader” who we know of today as the apostle Paul?

#6. also did this religious sect, called the “WAY”, was already in practice in the OT?

#7. Was this religious sect, called the “WAY”, was it the forerunner to the set we call Christianity today?

Please note, all of these statements are put in the form of a “QUESTION”. and the reason for this, I’m still doing research on the matter and, I’m not going to put myself out on a limb without cause....:). But also the other reason why I’m doing this is to have your impute, in case that if this is true, then we all can share in the the harvest of the word of God.

My aim is to connect this religious sect, called the “WAY” to what we call Christianity today.

To do this, I will reveal what I have learned Piece by Piece and let those who is interested reply.

Thanks in advance.

My first Piece, below.

101G:
Let me try and answer the Matt 2:23 issue you have....

I am of the belief that the “Way” denotes the “NZR” and pronounced or sounded out as “Netzer’ in Hebrew. In Aramaic it is written and pronounced as “NaZaR.” Further, like in most languages, old or new. a suffix is added to denote a location or being of a location. This is where we get in Aramaic, “NaZaReth” and “NaZaRene.”

Now “NZR means in English, the word, (the) Branch. So, in Matthew 2:23 Jesus as a Nazarene is clearly recorded directly in the Old Testament. There is no hidden oral tradition of teaching for Jesus being known as the Nazarene. I can count at least 6 verses that record the future Nazarene, Branch, called Jesus. And further the Branch or NZR means all the beliefs, thoughts and way of living by Christ. Those that adhere to all these elements are called Christians or the true believers.

‘The Branch’ is used in the OT to denote a King, a Leader that would restore a future people to God…Jesus Christ

Note: This writing or explanation of the ‘Way’ and ‘NZR’ supports the idea that Matthew might have been written in Aramaic first then translated into Greek.

Here are the verses under subject:

(Mat 2:23) And he went and lived in a city called Nazareth, so that what was spoken by the prophets might be fulfilled, that he would be called a Nazarene. (ESV)

(Isa 4:2) In that day the branch of the LORD shall be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the land shall be the pride and honor of the survivors of Israel.

(Isa 11:1) There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, and a branch from his roots shall bear fruit.

(Isa 60:21) Your people shall all be righteous; they shall possess the land forever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I might be glorified.

(Jer 23:5) “Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land.

(Jer 33:15) In those days and at that time I will cause a righteous Branch to spring up for David, and he shall execute justice and righteousness in the land.

(Zec 6:12) And say to him, ‘Thus says the LORD of hosts, “Behold, the man whose name is the Branch: for he shall branch out from his place, and he shall build the temple of the LORD. (All ESV)

This is no hidden oral teaching of the OT applicable to Matt 2:23

Bless you,

APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I could go on for a bit more on this subject...this is a great subject

I just want to say more of the beauty of the word NZR – Netzer used in the OT - a figurative branch mind you.

God was telling the Israelites because of their constant disobedience that he would raise another way to restore mankind to himself…he would cease to use these people!

In Hebrew this Netzer means a green/brown sprout that develops into a major branch or the only branch of a tree completely chopped down. God did chop down the entire tree of Israel, and replaced it with the branch called the way, the Nazarene(s) and the Christ or Christians.

Bless you,

APAK