The Way of Cain

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People do not seem to see that religion is the way of Cain.

Knowing that God required a sacrifice of blood Cain refused to give it. He said in his heart that God would have to accept the works of his hands.

Cain became jealous of Able and his pride drove him to kill his brother.

It is the same today. Those of religion become jealous of those who do as God asks and believe in His (God’s) work on the cross. That is what drives them to slander the ones that trust in God’s way where He, Himself, has made a way for fallen man to be saved from the condemnation of their sins of the flesh.

The religious want to earn their salvation by their works of the flesh and that is exactly what Cain tried to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 101G and lforrest

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way of Cain is much, much deeper than that.

Apostle Paul said the "mystery of iniquity" was already at work (2 Thess.2). Apostle John said there were already "many antichrists" (1 John 2:18). The Old Testament equivalent to that group were "the workers of iniquity".

Ever since this, God has caused emnity between Satan's children of darkness and God's children...

Gen 3:14-15
14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her Seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

KJV

Cain's traits were, the first murderer, God cursed the ground to him so he could not farm, he was a builder of cities (again because he could not farm), and God set a mark upon him to give him advantage against those who might kill him.

But there's more, probably... from the ancient Babylonian cuneiform tablets...

Around 3800 B.C., Sargon the 1st, a Semite, appeared among the "blackheads" of ancient Sumer (where Iraq is today). This was a time before it was Babyonia and Babylon. Sargon's death mask is still in the British museum. He built the first city there, Erech, and he gave them knowledge of the sciences, agriculture, canal building, knowledge of the stars, and he brought the very first idol worship of the devil (Bel, or later Baal). All later forms of pagan religion began with this Sargon in ancient Sumer-Babylon.

Per Bible scholars like 17th century bishop Ussher, and 19th century E.W. Bullinger, a count from the time of Jesus' birth back through the Old Testament begats, they arrived at the date of 4004 B.C. for the time when God formed the man Adam in His Garden. Sargon appearing among the Sumerians in 3800 B.C. is only 204 years difference. Now the Assyriologist Sayce who originally derived that 3800 B.C. date for Sargon from the Babylonian tablets, decided to change it to a later date more befitting the Assyriologist theories of the day. Yet 3800 B.C. was the actual translation from the tablets. (see Bristowe's Sargon The Magnificent).

When God cast Cain out, Cain went to the "land of Nod", and took a wife and built the first city (Enoch). I believe ancient Sumer was that land of Nod, and that Sargon I was actually Cain. The Sumerians called Sargon 'son of the dragon', or 'son of Bel'.

Also recorded in those Babylonian tablets is the oldest creation account.

A lot of pastors have fallen into the trap of believing Moses got the creation account from those tablets, simply because the tablets are older. In reality, the analogies and characters are more like an old pagan ritual play. The tablet creation account is more likely Cain's, eh, Sargon's corrupted story of the creation from Adam.

Reactions: lforrest

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's by no means certain that Cain was required to bring a blood sacrifice. It was a tribute offering, not a sin offering.

And if Jude 11 is read in context, "the way of Cain" doesn't refer to "religious" people but to irreligious people!

Reactions: Nancy

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's by no means certain that Cain was required to bring a blood sacrifice. It was a tribute offering, not a sin offering.

And if Jude 11 is read in context, "the way of Cain" doesn't refer to "religious" people but to irreligious people!

Jude 11-12
11 Woe to them! For they have gone in the way of Cain, have run greedily in the error of Balaam for profit, and perished in the rebellion of Korah.
Apostates Depraved and Doomed 12 These are spots in your love feasts, while they feast with you without fear, serving only themselves. They are clouds without water, carried about by the winds; late autumn trees without fruit, twice dead, pulled up by the roots;
NKJV

Sorry, I don't see that these verses say anything different than what I wrote in the OP. There is a comma after the word Cain.

They do not specify what the way of Cain was. My OP tries to define it.

It has been the work of people of religions that have killed and imprisoned the Prophets, killed Jesus, killed Stephens, ran after the Gentile converts trying to get them to go under the law of Moses, killed those that that refused to believe in organized religions. Just as Cain became jealous of Abel the religious of today have the same kind of jealousy.

I once posted a story of an event which I was a part of titled "A Tragic Story" in which a young man who was searching for God's love was told he could not be saved unless he could stop sinning in the flesh. This young man killed himself a week after. I was amazed that no one said any thing in compassion for him. They just supported his religious friends. Just as JOB's religious friend were telling Job.

I do not support the religious idea that a man has to stop sinning in the flesh in order to be saved. --- That does not mean I am saying a man can sin all he wants to. But his sins are between him and God; not the religious. If God can accept him then who are the religious to say otherwise.

Jesus came to save those that are lost.

Reactions: lforrest

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The fact that his offering was rejected is proof that he too was required to bring a blood offering. He brought the work of his own hands, while Abel sacrificed a lamb without spot or blemish (otherwise his offering too would have been rejected).

Cain represents the religionist, who believes that his good works will be sufficient to open the way to Heaven. Abel represents the man of faith, who believes that it is only through the shedding of the blood of a sinless Substitute that God will accept sinners. All the animal sacrifices since Abel were anticipating the Lamb of God on the cross of Calvary.

Reactions: H. Richard

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is interesting to note that Jesus, when He chose the elements to be used to remember Him with, were the very same elements that Cain had brought as a sacrifice unto the Lord back in the ancient time during the first 130 years after Adam's creation.

If Cain's elements offered where acceptable, then what was rejected was his heart's attitude in bringing the elements of bread and wine.

God reached out to Cain and offered Him His Salvation, but Cain went away from that offer and rebelled against God by building a city in which to live.

Shalom

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact that his offering was rejected is proof that he too was required to bring a blood offering. He brought the work of his own hands, while Abel sacrificed a lamb without spot or blemish (otherwise his offering too would have been rejected).

Cain represents the religionist, who believes that his good works will be sufficient to open the way to Heaven. Abel represents the man of faith, who believes that it is only through the shedding of the blood of a sinless Substitute that God will accept sinners. All the animal sacrifices since Abel were anticipating the Lamb of God on the cross of Calvary.
ERROR, his offering was not rejected, it was him that was rejected. his HEART was not right. his offering as well as our offering is based on the content of our HEARTS. supportive scripture, Genesis 4:3 "And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
Genesis 4:4 "And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering". STOP, respect unto ........ Abel ... and ... his offering. why? because Abel in his heart decided to give the LORD his "BEST", which was his "FIRST".
Genesis 4:5 "But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
Genesis 4:6 "And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
Genesis 4:7 "If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee [shall be] his desire, and thou shalt rule over him".

that's the KEY, "If THOU, if THOU, If THOU, do, do, well", then he and his offering would be accepted.

and as for a lamb without spot or blemis, GOD himself will provide himself that sacrifice. supportive scripture, Genesis 22:8 "And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together".

and many apeople miss this, God provide HIMSELF ..... a Lamb......... yes, he did.

PICJAG.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ERROR, his offering was not rejected, it was him that was rejected.
You quote the Scripture and ignore what is actually stated? Amazing!

So let's look at that closely, so that we see that the ERROR is yours!
But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. (Gen 4:5)

How did you miss the "and"? "and TO HIS OFFERING"? So now let's see if you are prepared to admit that you were totally mistaken and that Cain's offering was indeed rejected.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How did you miss the "and"? "and TO HIS OFFERING"? So now let's see if you are prepared to admit that you were totally mistaken and that Cain's offering was indeed rejected.
STOP, respect unto ........ Abel ... and ... his offering.

that's the KEY, "If THOU, if THOU, If THOU, do, do, well", then he and his offering would be accepted.

U must not had read that?, guess not.

PICJAG.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

as the Lord Jesus said, "is it not written", we say the same, "is it not written .... in post #7.
hat's the KEY, "If THOU, if THOU, If THOU, do, do, well", then he and his offering would be accepted.
:eek:

PICJAG.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not support the religious idea that a man has to stop sinning in the flesh in order to be saved.

Most assuredly, condemnation is defeated if we hear the word of the Lord and believe on Him who sent Him, John 5:24; but condemnation is even more definitely defeated if we do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit, Romans 8:1.

Jhn 5:24, Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Rom 8:1, There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a good picture of Cain's way is in the Pharisees and Sadducees, as said the same one's today. Matthew 3:7 "But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?Matthew 3:8 "Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance".

as said, God want us to repent, change our minds and ways.

PICJAG.

Last edited:

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband. Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
(Gal 4:21-29)

Reactions: H. Richard

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's by no means certain that Cain was required to bring a blood sacrifice. It
was a tribute offering, not a sin offering.

Gen 4:3-4a . . In the course of time, Cain brought an offering to The Lord
from the fruit of the soil; and Abel, for his part, brought the choicest of the
firstlings of his flock.

There's no indication in this scene suggesting their oblations were sacrifices
for sin. The Hebrew word for their offerings is from minchah (min khaw') and
means: to apportion, i.e. bestow; a donation; euphemistically, tribute;
specifically a sacrificial offering (usually bloodless and voluntary).

Burnt offerings go by the Hebrew word 'olah (o-law') instead of minchah; for
example Gen 22:2.

Ancient rabbis understood the brothers' offerings to be a "first fruits" kind of
oblation.

T. And it was at the end of days, on the fourteenth of Nisan, that Kain
brought of the produce of the earth, the seed of cotton (or line), an oblation
of first things before the Lord; and Habel brought of the firstlings of the
flock.
(Targum Jonathan)

Seeing as how Cain was a farmer, then in his case, an amount of produce
was the appropriate first fruits offering, and seeing as how Abel was an
animal husbandman, then in his case a head of livestock was the appropriate
first fruits offering.

This was probably not the first time that the brothers dedicated things to
God; and in the past, apparently Cain and his offerings were accepted, but
this time something was amiss. Well, it's not all that difficult to figure out.

Gen 4:7a . . If you do what is right, will you not be accepted?

Cain's personal conduct didn't measure up, and my first guess would be
hatred.

"Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that
your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the
altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your
gift." (Matt 5:23-24

Well; it wasn't long after the rejection incident that Cain revealed what had
been in his heart all along.

Gen 4:8 . . Now Cain said to his brother Abel: Let's go out to the field. And
while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.

You know, I really have to wonder sometimes how many dysfunctional
families are coming to church on Sunday morning with their halos all shined
up like new pennies while at home they hate each other's guts enough to
want them dead.

1John 3:15 . . Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer

I would advise families in that condition to stay home on Sunday morning
and watch football or play Candy Crush on their smart phones and don't
come back to church until their personal issues with each other are resolved.
_

Reactions: Nancy

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well; it wasn't long after the rejection incident that Cain revealed what had
been in his heart all along.

Gen 4:8 . . Now Cain said to his brother Abel: Let's go out to the field. And
while they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.

Cain killed Abel because "his own deeds were evil, and his brother's righteous." (1 John 3:12).

I believe that this is referring to Abel's offering which was counted as righteous; while Cain's offering was not counted as righteous.

Cain's offering, being of the fruit of the ground, was the result of the sweat of his brow and represents us offering to the Lord our works as a means of obtaining salvation.

Abel's offering, on the other hand, was a lamb of the flock; and represents us trusting in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the Cross to be the propitiation for our sin(s). Jesus is "the Lamb of God who taketh away the sin of the world."

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cain killed Abel because "his own deeds were evil, and his brother's
righteous." 1 John 3:12

The focus in that passage isn't upon Cain's offering, rather, upon his deeds.
Note that deeds is plural, indicating more than one deed, i.e. a lifestyle.

Of the two brothers, Cain was the eldest-- in fact, he was Adam's firstborn
son. But God bypassed the eldest and chose the youngest to be a prophet.
(Luke 11:50-51).

No doubt Cain was very jealous of his kid brother's popularity with God. Poor
Abel lost his life just because he was a pious man.

"Do not be surprised, my brothers, if the world hates you." (1John 3:13)
_

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Internet forums have given many of Christ's obscure followers a convenient
venue for sharing their time-won knowledge and experience with a
worldwide audience. For the world's sake, I highly recommend making an
effort to compose legible posts; neatly arranged, sensible, and tidy.

Shouting with king-size bold letters, scribbly italics, lack of adequate
paragraphing, twitter spelling, unnecessary emoticons, horrible grammar,
and a confusing mixture of fonts, sizes, and colors, makes for tiresome
clutter and annoying forum graffiti that leave a bad impression.

I rather suspect that some people regard forums as a canvas for painting
their comments instead of composing them. Well; that might be okay for
outsiders, they can be as messy as they want because it doesn't matter. But
for those of us who honestly believe ourselves to be representing God's son;
it's unacceptable.

1Cor 10:31 . . So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for
the glory of God.

One of the meanings of the Greek word for glory is "honor" which in this
case can be defined as doing something out of respect for someone admired
and/or held in high esteem.

Phil 1:27 . . Conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of
Christ.
_

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The focus in that passage isn't upon Cain's offering, rather, upon his deeds.
Note that deeds is plural, indicating more than one deed, i.e. a lifestyle.

Of the two brothers, Cain was the eldest-- in fact, he was Adam's firstborn
son. But God bypassed the eldest and chose the youngest to be a prophet.
(Luke 11:50-51).

No doubt Cain was very jealous of his kid brother's popularity with God. Poor
Abel lost his life just because he was a pious man.

"Do not be surprised, my brothers, if the world hates you." (1John 3:13)
_
No doubt, Cain very likely had deeds other than his unacceptable offering that were unacceptable to the Lord.

Abel very likely had such deeds also (Romans 3:23).

The difference between the two was that Abel's offering served to cover over his sins while Cain's offering left Cain's deeds bare before the scrutiny and judgment of the Lord. Because Cain's offering didn't provide a covering for his sins, his evil deeds were blatantly in front of the Lord of the Universe.

If he had offered an acceptable offering (representative of the Cross of Jesus Christ), then God would have turned a blind eye to Cain's sins.

As it is, Abel offered an acceptable offering; and the Lord counted him as righteous.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If he had offered an acceptable offering (representative of the Cross of Jesus
Christ), then God would have turned a blind eye to Cain's sins.

Cain's offering would've been acceptable had the man himself been
acceptable.

That is an irrevocable principle, and comes out very early in the Bible
because it is so foundational to humanity's association with its creator. Well;
Abel did do right and that's why his gift is said to be offered in faith. (Heb
11:4)

Cain's offering wasn't offered in faith due to his failure to do right; which
is well illustrated at Isa 1:11-20.

Moses' people were offering all the covenanted sacrifices, they were praying
up a storm, and observing all the God-given feasts and holy days. He
rejected all of it, even though He himself required it, because the people's
personal conduct was unbecoming.

"The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to Yhvh." (Prv 15:8)

Perhaps the classic example is the one below.

"You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure
in burnt offerings." (Ps 51:16)

When David wrote that; he had only just committed the capital crimes of
adultery and premeditated murder. There was just no way that God was
going to accept David's sacrifices and offerings along with that; and he knew
it too.
_

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Cain's offering would've been acceptable had the man himself been
acceptable.

That is an irrevocable principle, and comes out very early in the Bible
because it is so foundational to humanity's association with its creator. Well;
Abel did do right and that's why his gift is said to be offered in faith. (Heb
11:4)

Cain's offering wasn't offered in faith due to his failure to do right; which
is well illustrated at Isa 1:11-20.

Moses' people were offering all the covenanted sacrifices, they were praying
up a storm, and observing all the God-given feasts and holy days. He
rejected all of it, even though He himself required it, because the people's
personal conduct was unbecoming.

"The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to Yhvh." (Prv 15:8)

Perhaps the classic example is the one below.

"You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure
in burnt offerings." (Ps 51:16)

When David wrote that; he had only just committed the capital crimes of
adultery and premeditated murder. There was just no way that God was
going to accept David's sacrifices and offerings along with that; and he knew
it too.
_
Cain did not do what was right in offering up an offering that represented his works before the Lord.

We can only be cleansed from all sin through the blood of the Lamb (1 John 1:7).

As the old hymn goes, "My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness, I dare not trust the sweetest frame but wholly lean on Jesus' name...On Christ the solid rock I stand all other ground is sinking sand, all other ground is sinking sand."

When we offer the sacrifice that the Lord provided (the sacrifice of Christ on the Cross), He transforms us on the inside so that our offering is not the offering of the wicked; thought it may be offered while we are yet wicked (Romans 5:8). Also, the sacrifices that God will not delight in is referring to animal sacrifices; but the sacrifice of Christ on the Cross is acceptable as the fulfillment of every animal sacrifice, which cleanses us and makes us righteous (see Romans 5:17-19). As it is written in Psalms 51:7,

Psa 51:7, Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Hyssop in the OT was a plant that they used as a brush to apply the blood of animal sacrifices.

We can be washed in the blood of the "Lamb of God who taketh away the sin of the world." (John 1:29)

Jesus is the fulfillment of what the animal sacrifices of the OT offered....forgiveness of sins.

We cannot be forgiven by doing a bunch of good works so that our good works outweigh our bad ones. The bad ones would still condemn us. We can only be forgiven through propitiation. Look up that word in a Bible dictionary and in your Strong's Concordance. There is a doctrine about it that speaks volumes.