The Words "In" and "Of"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 2:20,

20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

If you check your new translations of scripture you will find two of the most important words of scripture has been changed. The little words; the faith "of" Jesus Christ, changed to read the faith "in" Jesus Christ. Not that big of a change seemingly, until you understand how immense of an effect on spiritual growth it has. There is places written to where we place faith in Jesus Christ but this is not one of them. This verse and many others like it have to do with the deep knowledge of being. Paul wrote from this understanding that "in him we live, move, and have our being." That kind of an understanding is not derived from a personal faith, it only comes from the faith of Christ in you. You literally live, you literally move, and literally have your being by the faith of another.

As you follow along in certain teaching or some of our favorite scholars, what you will see is a pattern to take nothing as literal. Most preferr to always work and understand in the gray area of scripture, which doesn't exsist. There is no gray areas in the written word of God, we try to make gray areas of the written word and label others that move in the scriptures. There are many hope so's and maybe's, but nothing is ever pin-pointed. Their readers are always left hanging as in a good novel, never able to draw a conclusion with no deep faith of Christ working in them. They don't believe it exists and have changed their translations to read as such.

No translation is perfect but there are some that are absulutely better than others. The believer can do himself good by finding a good one and stay with it. You are going to need the help of the HolySpirit reguardless so enjoy your journey of least obstacles, the written word being one of them, they that interprete it being another.

Reactions: Nancy and FHII

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is one I think usually says things best:

Galatians 2:20 The Passion Translation (TPT)

20 “My old identity has been co-crucified with Messiah and no longer lives; for the nails of his cross crucified me with him. And now the essence of this new life is no longer mine, for the Anointed One lives his life through me — we live in union as one! My new life is empowered by the faith of the Son of God who loves me so much that he gave himself for me, and dispenses his life into mine![a]

Footnotes:
[a] Galatians 2:20 The last sentence of this verse in Aramaic is plural, “us.”

Last edited:
Reactions: soul man and Nancy

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 2:20,

20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

If you check your new translations of scripture you will find two of the most important words of scripture has been changed. The little words; the faith "of" Jesus Christ, changed to read the faith "in" Jesus Christ. Not that big of a change seemingly, until you understand how immense of an effect on spiritual growth it has. There is places written to where we place faith in Jesus Christ but this is not one of them. This verse and many others like it have to do with the deep knowledge of being. Paul wrote from this understanding that "in him we live, move, and have our being." That kind of an understanding is not derived from a personal faith, it only comes from the faith of Christ in you. You literally live, you literally move, and literally have your being by the faith of another.

As you follow along in certain teaching or some of our favorite scholars, what you will see is a pattern to take nothing as literal. Most preferr to always work and understand in the gray area of scripture, which doesn't exsist. There is no gray areas in the written word of God, we try to make gray areas of the written word and label others that move in the scriptures. There are many hope so's and maybe's, but nothing is ever pin-pointed. Their readers are always left hanging as in a good novel, never able to draw a conclusion with no deep faith of Christ working in them. They don't believe it exists and have changed their translations to read as such.

No translation is perfect but there are some that are absulutely better than others. The believer can do himself good by finding a good one and stay with it. You are going to need the help of the HolySpirit reguardless so enjoy your journey of least obstacles, the written word being one of them, they that interprete it being another.
I absolutely agree! I was aware of this verse's use of the word "of" and the impact you speak of. That is, I was aware it existed but perhaps not the exact verse it occurred in.
Like you said, there are verses that talk about our faith in Christ as well. In the end, the fact that this verse speaks of the faith OF Christ has little effect overall, as his faith is in us. But though it may be little, there IS indeed an effect! It shows how deep the bond is.

We would tend to say Jesus has more faith than us. It would be natural to say so because we know how Shakey we can be at times and he is our Rock. But this verse says HIS faith is in us... That Rock solid faith! Our faith may be weak... But not really because his is in us.

It reminds me of these verses I read last week:

1 John 3:20-21 KJV
For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. [21] Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.

Good thoughts, Soul Man!

Reactions: Nancy