The writer of the book of Esther seemed to deliberately avoid mentioning God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Esther 4:

12 When Esther’s words were relayed to Mordecai, 13he sent back to her this reply: “Do not imagine that because you are in the king’s palace you alone will escape the fate of all the Jews. 14 For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s house will perish. And who knows if perhaps you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this?”
That was a nice place for Mordecai to mention God's deliverance, but he didn't.

15 Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai: 16“Go and assemble all the Jews who can be found in Susa, and fast for me.
Fasting was often associated with praying. That's a natural place for Esther to mention praying, but she didn't.

Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day, and I and my maidens will fast as you do. After that, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish!”
Ezra was around the time of Esther. His wording was the usual, Ezra 8:

23 So we fasted and petitioned our God about this, and he answered our prayer.
Another example is Nehemiah1:

4 When I heard these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
~
There's a very strong possibility that the book of Esther should be categorized
as myth, viz: a fictional tradition with elements of history woven in to give the
story a patina of realism. Some very good novels have been written that way;
movies and plays too.

We shouldn't let ourselves be overly disturbed to find some fiction tucked in the
Bible's pages. I mean, after all, the Song is one of Solomon's romantic fantasies
and nobody seems to mind.
_

Last edited: