The Written Word

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The written word

The written word of God is one of the priceless possessions of every born-again believer. The word is the unfolding of all of the revelation concerning the majesty and grace of the Father as it is revealed in the Son. All the facts about heaven and earth, sin and salvation, angels and Satan, life-and-death, future and past are wrapped up in the word.
The word is not only written Scriptures, for written Scriptures can be interpreted and translated by man anyway he sees fit, but the true word is a person. The Scripture is the written record of that person, for Jesus said all Scriptures testify of Him. Furthermore, Paul said, in 2nd Timothy 3:16–17,
" all scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."

Paul's declaration means that Jesus Christ as the word is profitable for every idea and suggestion of life. There is nothing that has to do with life, or eternity, or God that can be separated from the person of Jesus Christ.
Therefore if we read the Scriptures, we must see Him who is the word, for the scriptures clearly declare from God the Christ who is all and in all.
The word of God is a title deed to all that the Christian possesses in Christ. It is a covenant guarantee from God that has been sealed in heaven.
It is God saying, in a legal sense, It is written, 1st John 5:13 says,
" these things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may believe on the name of the son of God."

As the first Adam transmitted what he was to those who were born after the flesh, so the last Adam transmits what he is to those who are born of the incorruptible seed. The Christians standing is in Christ, and there will be no fall in the last Adam.
He is as secure as God can make him, for the preservation of the believer is not conditioned by any thought which he has about the matter. His position is according to the purpose of God. I have not been saved by my own merit, nor am I kept saved by mine own works. It was by Christ and his work on the cross that I was saved, and it is now by Christ in me, who is my life, that I remain saved.

Reactions: FHII and ScottA

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. The scripture is Gods Words put to paper for us. It is Christ's love letter to his bride the church. The scriptures are the means of grace which God uses by the illumination of the Holy Spirit. This illumination is 2 fold.
1. He shows us ths wretchedness of our sins ii the sight of the perfecr God. He shows us that as natural born sinners, we have no desire to accept him ourselves or even have anything to do with Him. He makes us understand we have no merit to use and no ability to choose Christ in and of ourselves.
2. He shows us the wonderful love and glory of the Christ in that while we were yet inable sinners, Christ died for those the father had given to him at the foundation of the world. He shows us that this broken feeling of lostness is caused by the Spirit, and is His beginning of affect on our lives. ANY PERSON WHO IS SEARCHING FOR CHRIST GENUINELY IS BEING LED BY THE SPIRIT, AND WILL RECEIVE THE PROMISE OF SALVATION. He shows us that our brokenness does nothing but show the infinite pleasure and peace of resting on Christ. He brings us to a saving knowledge of Christ, and by grace we are saves, through he tool of faith. He shows us faith doesnt even come from our nature, but is the result of being born again with a new nature from God. He shows us that Christ is our king and lord, and that we must obey him. And he causes us to want to share His Grace with others, trusting that is God Wills, they will be saved just as we were.

All of this comes from the Word of God, and without the Holy Scriptures as the inerrant, infallible Word of God, there can be no Salvation. Thank you for your topic, and God Bless my brothers and sisters in Christ today and forever.

Reactions: soul man

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Amen. Yes it is The most unique of all books . We can read it and re-read it over 50 years and always be seeing something fresh or new.
It is alive..never dying.

But it is not the fourth part of the Godhead.
I do now some people who spend much more time reading and reading the bible , but not spending the same amount of time with God Himself.
Their relationship and fascination is with the bible , but not with it's author.
It has become an obsession with some.
I have have two friends in my life who love to study the book and preach good messages....but their one to one face to face with God is of little importance.

Bless you...H

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Amen. Yes it is The most unique of all books . We can read it and re-read it over 50 years and always be seeing something fresh or new.

I do now some people who spend much more time reading and reading the bible , but not spending the same amount of time with God Himself.
Their relationship and fascination is with the bible , but not with it's author.
I have have two friends in my life who love to study the book and preach good messages....but their one to one face to face with God is of little importance.

Bless you...H

best stay at home with Church and bible and listen for the knock[no bell] - it is not whether we know God but whether He knows us imho He has told us how to really know Him and to know whether you and I and others can know He knows us - He said it in three words "in as much" - twinc

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The written word

The written word of God is one of the priceless possessions of every born-again believer. The word is the unfolding of all of the revelation concerning the majesty and grace of the Father as it is revealed in the Son. All the facts about heaven and earth, sin and salvation, angels and Satan, life-and-death, future and past are wrapped up in the word.
The word is not only written Scriptures, for written Scriptures can be interpreted and translated by man anyway he sees fit, but the true word is a person. The Scripture is the written record of that person, for Jesus said all Scriptures testify of Him. Furthermore, Paul said, in 2nd Timothy 3:16–17,
" all scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."

Paul's declaration means that Jesus Christ as the word is profitable for every idea and suggestion of life. There is nothing that has to do with life, or eternity, or God that can be separated from the person of Jesus Christ.
Therefore if we read the Scriptures, we must see Him who is the word, for the scriptures clearly declare from God the Christ who is all and in all.
The word of God is a title deed to all that the Christian possesses in Christ. It is a covenant guarantee from God that has been sealed in heaven.
It is God saying, in a legal sense, It is written, 1st John 5:13 says,
" these things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may believe on the name of the son of God."

As the first Adam transmitted what he was to those who were born after the flesh, so the last Adam transmits what he is to those who are born of the incorruptible seed. The Christians standing is in Christ, and there will be no fall in the last Adam.
He is as secure as God can make him, for the preservation of the believer is not conditioned by any thought which he has about the matter. His position is according to the purpose of God. I have not been saved by my own merit, nor am I kept saved by mine own works. It was by Christ and his work on the cross that I was saved, and it is now by Christ in me, who is my life, that I remain saved.

soul man: I am inquiring into some of your statements you have in your OP. I just cannot find explicit scriptural support for some of them. Maybe they are drawn from implicit verses or via the process of deduction that you are standing on, and in making these statements. I found a few statements incomprehensible, to me anyway. Can you elaborate on them?

1. “The word is not only written Scriptures, for written Scriptures can be interpreted and translated by man anyway he sees fit, but the true word is a person. The Scripture is the written record of that person, for Jesus said all Scriptures testify of Him.”

Have you just connected the written word of God with Jesus Christ in this statement?

Can you provide some scripture support?

Where did Jesus say ALL scripture testified of him?

2. Furthermore, Paul said, in 2nd Timothy 3:16–17,

“Paul's declaration means that Jesus Christ as the word is profitable for every idea and suggestion of life. There is nothing that has to do with life, or eternity, or God that can be separated from the person of Jesus Christ.”

Have you just again connected the written word of God with Jesus Christ in this statement?

Did Paul really mean this?

Can you provide some scripture support that Paul was speaking of Christ?

3. “Therefore, if we read the Scriptures, we must see Him who is the word, for the scriptures clearly declare from God the Christ who is all and in all.”

Have you just again connected Jesus Christ as the one who is all in all ?

Can you provide some scripture support for this statement?

Now scripture does say that when Jesus our Lord returns the Kingdom back to God, God will be all in all. This is an important distinction. This means that God will be all-in-all, manifesting his divine spirit through, and in all heavenly creatures: angels, Jesus and the saints. He will be in them all…If Christ will be in all-in-all then the Saints and the angel will also. I believe it is God only the only source of divinity.

4. “The word of God is a title deed to all that the Christian possesses in Christ..”

I do not understand this cryptic statement…

5. “He is as secure as God can make him, for the preservation of the believer is not conditioned by any thought which he has about the matter.”

Bless you,

APAK

Reactions: OzSpen and Davy

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Bless you...H

Thank God for the written word, we know God by His word given to us by devine inspiration.

Reactions: Windmillcharge

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
soul man: I am inquiring into some of your statements you have in your OP. I just cannot find explicit scriptural support for some of them. Maybe they are drawn from implicit verses or via the process of deduction that you are standing on, and in making these statements. I found a few statements incomprehensible, to me anyway. Can you elaborate on them?

1. “The word is not only written Scriptures, for written Scriptures can be interpreted and translated by man anyway he sees fit, but the true word is a person. The Scripture is the written record of that person, for Jesus said all Scriptures testify of Him.”

Have you just connected the written word of God with Jesus Christ in this statement?

“Paul's declaration means that Jesus Christ as the word is profitable for every idea and suggestion of life. There is nothing that has to do with life, or eternity, or God that can be separated from the person of Jesus Christ.”

Have you just again connected the written word of God with Jesus Christ in this statement?

3. “Therefore, if we read the Scriptures, we must see Him who is the word, for the scriptures clearly declare from God the Christ who is all and in all.”

Now scripture does say that when Jesus our Lord returns the Kingdom back to God, God will be all in all. This is an important distinction. This means that God will be all-in-all, manifesting his divine spirit through, and in all heavenly creatures: angels, Jesus and the saints. He will be in them all…If Christ will be in all-in-all then the Saints and the angel will also. I believe it is God only the only source of divinity.

4. “The word of God is a title deed to all that the Christian possesses in Christ..”

5. “He is as secure as God can make him, for the preservation of the believer is not conditioned by any thought which he has about the matter.”

Bless you,

APAK

I'm not for sure quite how to answer you, I think you have been following along in a few threads.
If so just keep reading and maybe that will answer your question, if not I'll try to answer.
Most everything I have to say I'm writing.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The written word of God is one of the priceless possessions of every born-again believer

Yes, for without the written word how can one test a message from the spirit, or whether a preacher is teaching the truth, or that we have not fallen into error.

This is a truth that the spirit will afirm to those who ask him.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Bless you,

APAK

Ask the Spirit to confirm what you've read in Soulman's post, whether it is true or not.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, for without the written word how can one test a message from the spirit, or whether a preacher is teaching the truth, or that we have not fallen into error.

This is a truth that the spirit will afirm to those who ask him.

But, a matter one the individuals interpretation comes into play.
We have a direct message that we have to get fixed in us as the born again. Hence the confusion in Christianity.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ask the Spirit to confirm what you've read in Soulman's post, whether it is true or not.
Windmillcharge:
Wow, I did not require the spirit to confirm my suspicions on scripture errors in this thread, it told me first. That is why I am addressing it now. I believe there have been some liberties taken and some misinterpretations of scripture have occurred to suit one's own theories of the written word. There are glaring misuses of scripture here.

APAK

Reactions: Davy

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Windmillcharge:
Wow, I did not require the spirit to confirm my suspicions on scripture errors in this thread, it told me first. That is why I am addressing it now. I believe there have been some liberties taken and some misinterpretations of scripture have occurred to suit one's own theories of the written word. There are glaring misuses of scripture here.

APAK

Fair enough, do you have any absulute understandings of scripture or just speculation as the majority do. Any absulute given to religion is always questionable. Fire away were all ears

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems your asking some one to explain your understanding to you, can you see the futileness of a such question.
Doesn't line up with your interpretation, with respect sir so you are not making much since and making false accusations.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems your asking some one to explain your understanding to you, can you see the futileness of a such question.
Doesn't line up with your interpretation, with respect sir so you are not making much since and making false accusations.

I think APAK has asked you some very fair questions, gave you opportunity to clarify, but you so far refuse to do that or to present Scripture backup of your premises he asked you about. So he is not the one making false accusations. You have failed to offer support for your doctrine, showing you are creating ideas outside of God's written Word. Furthermore, anytime someone says ideas like God's Holy Writ is limited, suggesting that it is not... the final measure of all things, that is the creation of an outlet that leads away from His Word. That's what APAK apparently saw in your statements, and also what I saw.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When one puts something before God, it becomes and idol, all we see here is men defending and idol. It is His Spirit that reveals things to us and leads us into the truth, He alone is our witness. These forums even this post shows how "scripture" and "study" cause much confusion, and God is not the author of confusion, but these posts say He is...

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think APAK has asked you some very fair questions, gave you opportunity to clarify, but you so far refuse to do that or to present Scripture backup of your premises he asked you about. So he is not the one making false accusations. You have failed to offer support for your doctrine, showing you are creating ideas outside of God's written Word. Furthermore, anytime someone says ideas like God's Holy Writ is limited, suggesting that it is not... the final measure of all things, that is the creation of an outlet that leads away from His Word. That's what APAK apparently saw in your statements, and also what I saw.

I don't know what else I can say, the OP explains very clearly my understanding. If he disagrees fine, but don't make it out to be something it's not just because he sees thinks different.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Windmillcharge:

APAK
My apologies for cutting in...but surely there is no limit to associating Christ. whom is the Word, with the written word. Misuses there are many, but not when it comes to claiming every written word of scripture having its source in the Word.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My apologies for cutting in...but surely there is no limit to associating Christ. whom is the Word, with the written word. Misuses there are many, but not when it comes to claiming every written word of scripture having its source in the Word.
ScottA:

I would like to gracefully disagree on this kind of thinking. This thinking can or does already affect the meanings of many scripture passages. In one extreme example, one could then say that all scripture in the OT, especially the ones of God that he directly uses to mankind are all Jesus' words anyway, so why not just replace God with Jesus etc.

This goes way too far for me and I cannot believe in this extreme view and meaning.

So I would like to not open a huge can of worms on this subject that I or anyone else would not like to get mixed up in.

The 'word' can be an elusive English symbol. And as a student of scripture, always learning and maturing, I really do not want to jump to these kinds of conclusions for the term 'word.'

I agree to disagree s'il vous plait.

Bless you,

APAK

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is Soul Man's thread so I am not sure I should answer for him. But the answers to APAK's questions do exist... Or at least are strong in support.

Where did Jesus say ALL scripture testified of hi

John 5:39 KJV
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Galatians 3:24 KJV
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

In John 5 it doesn't say "all", however Jesus didn't say search some of the scripture. It stands to reason that since Jesus was rebuking the crowd, it was said as a challenge. It wouldn't be much of a challenge if Jesus cherry picked the verses.

In Gal 3 it says the law. Not all the OT was law. I realize that... But the over concept is that the law brought us to Christ and the new covenent.

2 Timothy 3:15 KJV
And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

So it does seem reasonable that in verse 16 Paul was speaking of Christ.

Ephesians 1:22-23 KJV
And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, [23] Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

It may not say he is all in all but he filleth it.

Questions 4 and 5 I don't have answers for. But the verses I gave I do believe should strongly be considered as backing up Soulman's statements-in-question.

Does every verse in the OT point to Jesus? On its own, probably not. I do believe however that as a whole they do.

They were reasonable questions and worth considering. The scriptures I gave may not fully answer such carefully worded statements. Jesus didn't say "all scripture testifies of him" but he did say scriptures testify of him. Paul in Eph didn't say Jesus is "the all in all" but he did say " he filleth all in all". Perhaps at least this will add to the conversation.

Reactions: Helen and soul man
B

Butterfly

Can I just throw something into this conversation- is ' scripture ' and ' the bible ' the same - when Timothy wrote the words ' all scripture ...ect ect - the bible as we know it did not exist. When he wrote about ' knowing scripture from childhood ect ....... The bible did not exist. Culturally he was talking about the scriptures that did exist at the time and would have been part of the Old Testament
When Jesus himself mentions scripture- did he mean the bible or scripture of his time ?

I am not disagreeing or agreeing with anyone as per say, but sometimes it staggers me that Christians forget the context of time frames with regards to what was said and what existed. Timothy and the writers of the letters would have had only the written word that existed at the time, and it's in the context of that writing that they are referring. So Scripture to them would have meant something different to what it means to us today..............
And before anyone jumps to the wrong conclusion, I am NOT saying that the bible is not the inspired word of God. Just that the context of what the writers meant would have been in context of what they had at the time.........
Just a thought that crossed my mind as I read this discussion , and many others
Butterfly