The Yoke of Jesus.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

Jesus himself told us that his yoke is easy and his burden is light so why is it that so many on sites like this, those that call themselves Christians, seek to make it so difficult and heavy?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

Jesus himself told us that his yoke is easy and his burden is light so why is it that so many on sites like this, those that call themselves Christians, seek to make it so difficult and heavy?
They still see themselves as naked, unworthy.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I don't think many of us modern believers even know what that is. The Yoke of Christ can only be taken on AFTER one has forsaken the world and God has translated us into His realm. THEN, the walk is easy alright...in the light where there is no sin.

But getting there is difficult and rarely happens. That's the truth and the reality of it. The vast majority of modern believers carry their own yokes until the day they die....never knowing the walk that is only found IN Christ.

The fact that we are so religious and fake about the deep things of God is what brings in the problems and a world going deeper into darkness. The church no longer is showing the way. The church has lost it's desire for the light.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God is the High and lofty One Who inhabits eternity, Who created everything, and what in the world can you offer to Him? But there is someone He lives with, the lowly, the contrite, the one who trembles at His Word.

Exclusivity has it's appeal. But Jesus eats with sinners. Oh my!!

So long as we accept the message that we cannot have the full relationship with God that our Father saved us for without first becoming perfect without sin - a fiction in this life - when we accept that message we exclude ourselves.

Who can even know every sin they commit? The whole point of Jesus' death on our behalf, His resurrection for us to share, the singlemost central idea is that we receive the benefit of His righteous life, and His sacrificial death. To say that we cannot receive that benefit without first becoming righteous in our own righteousness?

Let all your words minister grace to those who hear them.

Much love!

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This takes me back to what the man a told me many years ago. That man along with his family lived for God before us and they were the living epistles that attracted my wife and I to God in April of 1976. He said:

"It is hard to live for God easy;
but it is easy to live for God hard."

Not many are really willing to pursue the hard way in order to find the easy way... They try the other way which too often probably results in the lukewarm way and their final result is being spit out of God's mouth.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
For the counter example:

Luke11:46 Jesus replied, “And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them.

Reactions: amadeus and Pearl

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like something I read from CS Lewis, we do not obtain what we most want by direct pursuit.

We don't find satisfaction in life by trying to be satisfied, rather, satisfaction comes when we realize the thing we really want.

We don't find holiness by trying to be holy, rather, holiness comes when we draw near to God.

People can work and work and work on becoming more holy, or they can rest in Jesus' holiness, and find that holiness awaits them.

Much love!

Reactions: Not me and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I like something I read from CS Lewis, we do not obtain what we most want by direct pursuit.

We don't find satisfaction in life by trying to be satisfied, rather, satisfaction comes when we realize the thing we really want.

We don't find holiness by trying to be holy, rather, holiness comes when we draw near to God.

People can work and work and work on becoming more holy, or they can rest in Jesus' holiness, and find that holiness awaits them.

Much love!
Resting in God is absolutely the best way. When we try to be holy in our own strength we will always fail and then beat ourselves up because we do. But when we just be and let God then we will find peace and rest.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I just read this interesting article about the meaning of the 'yoke' and 'burden'. This is just an excerpt:

"Back in Jesus’ time, before it, after it and until today, a rabbi’s job was to interpret God’s written word. Not everyone could be a rabbi; you had to be the best of the best. But also, not every rabbi taught exactly the same thing on any given subject. Just like we have different interpretations of Scripture today so it is with the interpretations of the rabbis and what rules they hold on how to live out Torah. This is known as a rabbi’s ‘YOKE’ and how lenient or strict he is called his ‘BURDEN’. If you applied to a certain rabbi, you were telling him and the world that you believed his set of interpretations were the closest to what God intended through the Scriptures. It meant you were willing to take up his yoke and bear his burden. This ‘yoke’ wasn’t merely about interpreting the word, it was about living them out. Action was always the goal and it still is."

You can read the complete article at: The Rabbi, The Disciple, and the Yoke

I remember reading a similar article a few years ago.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
This may be corny... Jesus' Yoke is a labor of Love. Labors of love are somehow easier, I think it is because we want to do them.

Reactions: Pearl and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This may be corny... Jesus' Yoke is a labor of Love. Labors of love are somehow easier, I think it is because we want to do them.

Excellent. Being yoked with Him..in love...an easy walk when we stay in step.

Reactions: Pearl

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was thinking that life itself is a responsibility, so by the nature of life itself, it is a yoke. The burden of being a slave to sin is that that makes life a heavy burden. This burden of being a slave to sin has been lifted in Christ. Therefore by the freedom of sin we have been called to, is His yoke easy and His burden light.

(my thinks)

Blessings, to all that love the Lord Jesus from a pure heart.

Much love in Christ, Not me

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Was thinking that life itself is a responsibility, so by the nature of life itself, it is a yoke. The burden of being a slave to sin is that that makes life a heavy burden. This burden of being a slave to sin has been lifted in Christ. Therefore by the freedom of sin we have been called to, is His yoke easy and His burden light.

(my thinks)

Blessings, to all that love the Lord Jesus from a pure heart.

Much love in Christ, Not me
I like that.

Reactions: Not me