Their Burning our Books

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Book burning on Feb. 10th 2009 due to CPSIAThe Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA H.R. 4040) has a good goal: protect kids from dangerous imports tainted with lead. Bravo! Unfortunately it goes about doing so in such a way that it’ll drive up costs across the board, drive many manufacturers and retailers out of business, and not really make kids any safer.So what does CPSIA do? It mandates lead testing for ALL items intended for children under 13 or PERCEIVED as being for those under age 13. So items commonly regarded as “kids stuff” even if it is intended for adults, such as many comics, collectible books, high end popups, etc, still falls under the statute even though they’re aimed at adult collectors.It requires UNIT testing. The final product must be tested from each batch. It doesn’t matter if all the components going into it are certified and have been tested as having no lead, it still must be tested for lead.Here’s an example. You publish textbooks for 4th graders. You publish a science textbook. You publish a spelling book. They are printed with all the same materials, on the same day, on the same press, with the same crew manning it. You must test the science book and the spelling book separately because they may contain lead!This basically seems to imply that somehow alchemy works. Non-lead containing item + non-lead containing item= LEAD!The manufacturer needs to provide a testing certificate to the retailer, which must be available for inspection, should a Consumer Product Safety Administration inspector come in. No certificate, the retailer can’t sell it.The truly bizarre part is that the new regulations apply retroactively. Even if it was printed 50 years ago and the publisher no longer exists, you need to have a certificate proving it’s not filled with lead. Even if it is the only remaining copy of a rare children’s book worth thousands of dollars and only will ever be handled by collectors, you cannot sell it because you can’t prove it is not filled with lead.morehttp://bookshopblog.com/2009/01/04/book-bu...9-due-to-cpsia/

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Anyone remember an old Movie called Fahrenheit 451º if so Im sure you will get the connection here From someone who charishs my old books this is way over the line I love the way they use children as the reason who would dare deny the safety of children. Little did I know letting my chilren read my old copy of Huckleberry Finn was hazordous to their health ..thank God they survived (sarcassim here) That means they will be illeagal to sell on Ebay,old bookstores ect So tell me are our old Bibles a danger to kids also ...no one under 18 ever read an old Bible was anyone ever given a copy of bible stories for children as a kid ...must be destroyed .. danger danger (more sarcasim)To be honest these books aren't going to hurt anyone (unless you eat 2-3 a day and then it'll be the dioxin levels in the paper) that might get you. OMG, what have I said???!!! There's another reason to burn books! Dioxin, Dioxin! Everyone flee for your life! A common sense solution (like "Don't eat books!") is beyond most folks comprehension, after all. Protect us! Save us!Hand me another Britannica and the salt? And keep the feds away until I get through the "T"'s

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Christina;67287)
Anyone remember an old Movie called Fahrenheit 451º if so Im sure you will get the connection here From someone who charishs my old books this is way over the line I love the way they use children as the reason who would dare deny the safety of children. Little did I know letting my chilren read my old copy of Huckleberry Finn was hazordous to their health ..thank God they survived (sarcassim here) That means they will be illeagal to sell on Ebay,old bookstores ect So tell me are our old Bibles a danger to kids also ...no one under 18 ever read an old Bible To be honest these books aren't going to hurt anyone (unless you eat 2-3 a day and then it'll be the dioxin levels in the paper) that might get you. OMG, what have I said???!!! There's another reason to burn books! Dioxin, Dioxin! Everyone flee for your life! A common sense solution (like "Don't eat books!") is beyond most folks comprehension, after all. Protect us! Save us!Hand me another Britannica and the salt? And keep the feds away until I get through the "T"'s
The Bible too?... Taking out Christ "to save someone's life" ... nice.... NOT! This is just way over the line... I love reading children's books. Curious George... for one...

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Its about mind control lookin4ward controling what we think old books mention God and country ...they dont teach all religions are good they teach a right and wrong thats not politically correct they dont say its O.K to have two Daddy's or Mommys ect .ect .ect

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Christina;67292)
(Lookin'4wardtoHeaven;67289)
This is so bizzare...makes me think "Stop the Madness!":pray4:
Its about mind control lookin4ward controling what we think old books mention God and country ...they dont teach all religions are good they teach a right and wrong thats not politically correct they dont say its O.K to have two Daddy's or Mommys ect .ect .ectShe's right Lookin'4ward. Today as we are aware is this...In today's world, we teach good as evil and evil as good. This whole burning the books thing means that Satan is getting closer and closer each day. Nobody is going to control my mind. This is why in today's world I hate reading... that doesn't mean I won't read at all...Quite frankly, I rather read old books of the past over new books of today. Since they are going to destroy them all, I rather not read at all. I hate Satan with a passion.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Christina;67287)
Anyone remember an old Movie called Fahrenheit 451º if so Im sure you will get the connection here
Farhrenheit 451.. 1966Directed by François Truffaut. With Oskar Werner, Julie Christie, Cyril Cusack. In an oppressive future, a fireman whose duty is to destroy all books begins ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9n98SXNGl8

Lookin4wardtoHeaven

Jul 17, 2007
{{{{{Christina }}}}}yikes ...That was hard to watch. I remember this movie, but I wasn't sure what it was about, now Iknow.{{{{{Jordan}}}} you are right.Thank you both for clarifying this for me.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Lookin'4wardtoHeaven;67302)
{{{{{Christina }}}}}yikes ...That was hard to watch. I remember this movie, but I wasn't sure what it was about, now Iknow.{{{{{Jordan}}}} you are right.Thank you both for clarifying this for me.
Yea, it was hard for me to watch this video as well... it actually put me in tears... and it was a direct hit to my heart. You're welcome Lookin'4ward. Glad that we can help you.
smile.gif
(Christina;67298)
(Christina;67287)
Anyone remember an old Movie called Fahrenheit 451º if so Im sure you will get the connection here...
Farhrenheit 451.. 1966Directed by François Truffaut. With Oskar Werner, Julie Christie, Cyril Cusack. In an oppressive future, a fireman whose duty is to destroy all books begins ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9n98SXNGl8Christina, may I ask it seems to me that old movies seems to have types for reality... I mean like past movies like Farhrenheit 451 (1966) to fulfil "a prophecy" for the future time like where we are at... like the article says... but nontheless, it's completely disgusting...

cedarhart

When good men do nothing, evil will triumph.Take a
Nov 17, 2008
"Hand me another Britannica and the salt?" LOL That's funny!How stupid is this. When this starts to be enforced, do you think that people won't throw a fit? How can this be. What about the Bible that New Presidents are sworn in on for over 200 yrs.?
picture.php

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
Well, this is what happens when people want too much government into everything. Then one day it smacks them in the face when totally off-the-rocker stuff like this eventually happens. I don't know how people behind this kind of legislation can even remotely think that they embrace the philosophy of the founding fathers. Nobody takes responsibility any longer. They must "protect" the next person by BIG government of course.BTW, I heard that Nancy Nord was surprised to see her house torched when she got home the other day. The reason was given that there was too much lead in it! (Then the EPA got involved because of the air pollution).
biggrin.gif