Things To Do While In Lock down

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Schools around the country of NZ are shutting down for a whole month or more so families with kids at home are trying to find things to do.

One idea was to place teddy bears in windows of houses around my town. This enables passersby with children to "find the TeddyBears" it's a great idea but they will probably be restricted from driving after Wednesday where only essential services will be the only ones traveling, accept if you are going to the supermarket.

Any Ideas for families with children who are in lockdown? [self-isolation]

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Schools around the country of NZ are shutting down for a whole month or more so families with kids at home are trying to find things to do.

One idea was to place teddy bears in windows of houses around my town. This enables passersby with children to "find the TeddyBears" it's a great idea but they will probably be restricted from driving after Wednesday where only essential services will be the only ones traveling, accept if you are going to the supermarket.

Good post. They are doing a similar thing here and putting rainbow pictures in the windows for the kids to spot. But I think teddies are better.

I think we all need to be mindful of those days before retail therapy became the norm. Today getting out of the house is a normal thing but way back when I was a girl people only went out to shop for provisions during the week and women spent most of their time in their homes.

It's good if you like reading as that helps to pass the time. And you could play board or card games. If you have an outside space make use of it for ball games or just for sitting and relaxing. This enforced isolating tactic gives so many people to just rest quietly at home for a longer period than normal. Rest and keep up your strength for when this is over and we all have to adapt to whatever changes are inflicted on us.

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India

Same for every one around the world! I heaped up the essentials at home to last for a couple of weeks, called up all my friends living here and abroad to make sure they are not affected or infected.:) In a way I'm prepared to stick inside for a few weeks and it's interesting as last few months were so busy and tiresome.
One way or perhaps the best way to resist any viral infection is to develop immunity. Our body has to be well prepared to fight all kinds of viral infections. Work outs, diet and staying away from stress. You watch this world outside, it is in chaos and might become even more chaotic. :)
Which place could be the best one to spend time with Jesus, the King of the world, than my own room!:) I'm listening to the songs of praise like never before, spending time with Word of God, watching what's going around the world and sometimes even forget there is a world existing outside our house. This world might not want Jesus. They are running helter-skelter. I need Jesus, The Prince of Peace.
There are plenty of ideas. The best ones can be discovered by oneself!

These were expected to happen.(matt 24:7)

Jesus is watching so let's watch and pray!
All glory to God

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Puzzles, crosswords, books, DVDs, Jigsaws, TV, crafts, listen to music, jobs that have been put off due to lack of time, social media etc. And pray.

Keeping our minds active when our bodies aren't able to be as mobile is vitally important to our well-being during this time of enforced isolation. And staying in touch on sites like this in order to encourage, support and build each other up.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Teddy bears and a rainbow...check! Our youngest daughter needs to keep busy!

Is she getting ballistic? Bouncing off walls?? Play cowboys and Indians, tie her up and gag her...then have some hunk of a cowboy rescue her! YAY! Hahaha...I'm sure you have thought of everything...what to do with a bored child...hmm.
Hey to you and Dot...hope all is well!

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Some kids are interested in learning how to cook but their parents often don't have time to teach them.

Ha, and you can teach them how to change a light bulb. I couldn't believe this bit of news.

Millions of millennials are so bad at DIY they admit they can't change a light bulb | Daily Mail Online

Millennials admit they can not hang a picture or even change a light bulb and tend to turn to Google for help, a survey has found.

The study of 2,000 adults found putting up wallpaper and bleeding a radiator are among the DIY tasks 25 to 34 year-olds don't feel confident doing so without help.

Tightening a wobbly kitchen cupboard door and fixing a loose screw also emerged among the jobs young adults would not try without assistance.
. . . .
This generation even confessed to ignoring a dead light bulb for more than three weeks before asking someone else to change it for them.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Puzzles, crosswords, books, DVDs, Jigsaws, TV, crafts, listen to music, jobs that have been put off due to lack of time, social media etc. And pray.

Keeping our minds active when our bodies aren't able to be as mobile is vitally important to our well-being during this time of enforced isolation. And staying in touch on sites like this in order to encourage, support and build each other up.

Hey Pearl, perhaps a selection of exercise machines that may be collecting dust [like at my place] can be dragged out and used to keep fit once again....:oops:

I think we need to take care of our families physical, mental and spiritual well being. One of my friends have a timechart/roster so that their family is doing a bit of everything. I was thinking of having a family prayer time via face time on a regular basis.

Thanks Pearl!:)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Is she getting ballistic? Bouncing off walls?? Play cowboys and Indians, tie her up and gag her...then have some hunk of a cowboy rescue her! YAY! Hahaha...I'm sure you have thought of everything...what to do with a bored child...hmm.
Hey to you and Dot...hope all is well!

Some good thoughts there too. Children could also create and perform plays and stuff for their families. Have a play night.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some good thoughts there too. Children could also create and perform plays and stuff for their families. Have a play night.

That is a great idea...kids LOVE to play act. Maybe folks with small children could call someone who works in a nursery for ideas as well. But, I'm sure there are a ton of ideas to be found online!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Some kids are interested in learning how to cook but their parents often don't have time to teach them.

Ha, and you can teach them how to change a light bulb. I couldn't believe this bit of news.

Millions of millennials are so bad at DIY they admit they can't change a light bulb | Daily Mail Online

Millennials admit they can not hang a picture or even change a light bulb and tend to turn to Google for help, a survey has found.

The study of 2,000 adults found putting up wallpaper and bleeding a radiator are among the DIY tasks 25 to 34 year-olds don't feel confident doing so without help.

Tightening a wobbly kitchen cupboard door and fixing a loose screw also emerged among the jobs young adults would not try without assistance.
. . . .
This generation even confessed to ignoring a dead light bulb for more than three weeks before asking someone else to change it for them.

I don't know what bleeding a radiator means but I'm sure it's not that difficult to learn but I can do the rest. This is a good time to learn new things. I was thinking of learning a new language. What do you think?

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know what bleeding a radiator means but I'm sure it's not that difficult to learn but I can do the rest. This is a good time to learn new things. I was thinking of learning a new language. What do you think?

Hi Angelina, I have always wanted to learn different languages but, if I have no body to speak with in the language, it will just be forgotten so...I scrapped the idea. One of those "if ya don't use it, ya loose it" kind of things.

Reactions: amadeus

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Angelina, I have always wanted to learn different languages but, if I have no body to speak with in the language, it will just be forgotten so...I scrapped the idea. One of those "if ya don't use it, ya loose it" kind of things.

What if we can convinced someone who speaks another language to chat with us via face time or using another media platform. That could possibly work!?

Reactions: Joseph77 and Nancy

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think learning a new language is a great idea since people pick up on languages a lot more easily when young.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if we can convinced someone who speaks another language to chat with us via face time or using another media platform. That could possibly work!?

But, who? I don't even know what language to learn, lol...I want to learn Spanish as there are lot's of Spanish speaking people by me. I wonder who we could find! Which language are you wanting to learn?

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Singing songs in can be fun too, and people can remember the words better I think.

Watching cartoons? I had a teacher in college who was from Ukraine and she taught herself English when she moved to the US mostly just by immersing herself in watching television. I guess she got to practice it though when she went shopping. Her English was good too.

Reactions: amadeus

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Singing songs in can be fun too, and people can remember the words better I think.

Watching cartoons? I had a teacher in college who was from Ukraine and she taught herself English when she moved to the US mostly just by immersing herself in watching television. I guess she got to practice it though when she went shopping. Her English was good too.

Now that is an ingenious idea! :):p:D

Reactions: Nancy and Giuliano

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
But, who? I don't even know what language to learn, lol...I want to learn Spanish as there are lot's of Spanish speaking people by me. I wonder who we could find! Which language are you wanting to learn?

Well I thought I could learn Mandarin and perhaps Hebrew. IDK I have kinda started but it can be difficult to make it fun to learn [cos I can get bored easily] lol!

Reactions: Nancy and Giuliano

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Pearl, perhaps a selection of exercise machines that may be collecting dust [like at my place] can be dragged out and used to keep fit once again....:oops:

I think we need to take care of our families physical, mental and spiritual well being. One of my friends have a timechart/roster so that their family is doing a bit of everything. I was thinking of having a family prayer time via face time on a regular basis.

Thanks Pearl!:)
I have no exercise machines and although I did go for walks in the parks I won't do again because of the groups of teens meeting up totally against the lockdown guidelines.

I think that doing things as a family as my daughter is doing with her two is good for their mental and spiritual well-being. They are cooking together and learning other life skills as well doing their school work; things such as cleaning windows, sewing on buttons, learning about the world through watching documentaries. And the kids go for cycle rides during the times they are allowed out for exercise. Also word games and number games and puzzles also keep people mentally alert.

I suppose it depends on the family/individual as to how inventive they can be and what facilities are available to them. It must be a lot harder when there are a lot of people in a house with no outside space.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I have no exercise machines and although I did go for walks in the parks I won't do again because of the groups of teens meeting up totally against the lockdown guidelines.

I think that doing things as a family as my daughter is doing with her two is good for their mental and spiritual well-being. They are cooking together and learning other life skills as well doing their school work; things such as cleaning windows, sewing on buttons, learning about the world through watching documentaries. And the kids go for cycle rides during the times they are allowed out for exercise. Also word games and number games and puzzles also keep people mentally alert.

I suppose it depends on the family/individual as to how inventive they can be and what facilities are available to them. It must be a lot harder when there are a lot of people in a house with no outside space.

Awesome stuff!