This is my personal walk with God through faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have talked with many representatives of religions. Some of them come to my door and many others are on Internet forums. Although I placed my faith in Jesus at the early age of 9, talking with these representatives caused me to examine what I really believe about God and my relationship with him.
-
These representatives keep telling me that their religious organization has gleaned the truths in the Bible text and have the correct interpretation of Bible teachings. They believe that they are the true people of God in the world based upon their teaching. I emphasize that they are trusting that their interpretation of Bible scripture has placed them on the right path to salvation. Jesus said, in JOHN 5:39-40, "You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to ""come to me”” to have life".
-
These representatives say that I must trust and believe in their religious organization and work within their organization in order to be saved. Living a good lifestyle and doing religious works are something that must be done in order to earn and/or keep salvation or to show you have faith.
-
What kind of work? Read JOHN 6:28-29 "Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?" Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent," (trust in the one He sent). For me, I have found that this work of God is that you place your trust in him when all the world is telling you that you are lost and you must belong to their organization, believe their scripture interpretations, live a good lifestyle, and do more than just trust God. For me, this is what is meant by the "trying of my faith." Read the story of Job in the Bible. Weren’t Job’s religious friends telling him the same things most all religious people say? I feel that they were.
-
Paul said that salvation is the gift of God (See Ephesians, 2, verses 8 -10). If it is a gift that I have received (accepted) in my heart then must I now earn it? Then where is the Gift? Did God create a plan of salvation in which he starts it and it is up to me to keep and finish it? Does salvation depends upon my power, to understand all the scriptures and keep my salvation by righteous perfect living, or does it depend on God's power? If salvation depends upon my understanding of scripture and my ability to earn it and keep it by what I do then I am lost, and for me, Christ died in vain. But it is not true. It is written in ECCLESIASTES 7:20 "There is not a righteous man on earth who does what is right and never sins" and again in PSALM 143:2 and ROMANS 3:10.
-
I find it interesting that when someone is completely trusting in God for their salvation, and witness that their trust in God is what saves them, not their attempts at good works, the religious people of this world always say that faith in what Jesus did on the cross is not enough, it is just a starting point, you must have works (see James). When they say this they are not trusting in God's love and power in His plan of salvation. For it is God that forgives sin and it is God that has provided Jesus Christ as a sin offering. If you can't go to heaven if you sin! Then no one is going to heaven. But it is written, "Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit" (deceit = dishonesty) (Psalm 32: 1 and 2). It is also written, "Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand." (Romans 14:4), "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding" (Proverbs 3:5), "Blessed are those that trust in the Lord", and again, "He that comes to me I will in no wise cast him out". As for TRUST in God look at what the scriptures say about it. Do a word search in the Bible for all the references listed under "TRUST", "FAITH", and "BELIEVE". There are hundreds.
-
I cannot see how people can place their trust in religious organizations that are based upon that religious organization's interpretation of Bible scripture. Think about the time of Jesus Christ. There were all kinds of different beliefs. The Pharisees believed salvation was in the promises made to Abraham and by keeping the law. The Sadducees believed they had the truth and it denied the resurrection. Look at what Jesus said about them. They were blind, leading the blind, and the truth was not in them. The Catholic Church has religious leaders and they fleeced and tormented the illiterate people in the middle ages and seem to worship idols. The Muslims believe in the Islamic religion. The Jehovah Witness people have their interpretation of the Bible. The protestant denominations have their interpretation of the Bible. The point is that they disagreed in the meaning of religious writings.
-
Am I really supposed to place my trust (faith) in a Religious organization's leadership and wisdom? Where I spend eternity depends upon where I place my faith (trust).
-
. . . . . . . . . . Which one should I choose????
. . . . . . . . . . I will choose none of them.
-
John 5:39-40
39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.
40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.
NKJV
-
I do not believe that Jesus Christ came to set up just another new and improved physical organized religion run by men who can deceive themselves? I, personally, don't think so since he said that the time will come, after his death, when man will not say, let us go here, or there, to worship God, for man will worship God from within his/her heart, in other words, a personal worship of God whose spirit will be living within the hearts of those who love him. The following scriptures support my conclusions. Notice, in verse 28 below, how the verse acknowledges that men are weak and that the Son has been perfected forever. He did not leave us in the hands of weak human (leaders and priests). He has become our "high priest" and we need no other.
-
Heb 7:25-28
25 Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.
26 For such a High Priest was fitting for us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and has become higher than the heavens;
27 who does not need daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the people's, for this He did once for all when He offered up Himself.
28 For the law appoints as high priests men who have weakness, but the word of the oath, which came after the law, appoints the Son who has been perfected forever.
(NKJ)
-
Men use human wisdom interpreting the Bible, or other religious books, to build up an organized system in which he can place the responsibility for his salvation. They usually include things that men/women have to do. Most people feel that if they, belong to the "right church or religious organization", go to the meetings, spend some time there, and try to live a good lifestyle they are okay with God. Their only relationship with God is through their religious organization and what they do. But God looks into the heart and he knows those that have faith (trust) in Him.
-
As for man's wisdom I quote 1 Corinthians 2, verses 1 through 5 from the Living Bible to see what Paul said about man's wisdom.
-
" Dear Brothers, even when I first came to you I didn't use lofty words and brilliant ideas to tell you God's message. For I decided that I would speak only of Jesus Christ and his death on the cross. I came to you in weakness - timid and trembling. And my preaching was very plain, not with a lot of oratory and human wisdom, but the Holy Spirit's power was in my words, proving to those who heard them that the message was from God. I did this because I wanted your faith to stand firmly upon God, not on man's great ideas."
-
What should I trust in? Is it to be man's great ideas or my great works? No, it is not. I trust God's promise of salvation through Jesus Christ. It is God's gift to me. He holds me in his hands and nothing can pluck me out of His hands. He is my Father and I am his child. Because of His love, someday I will be with Him. I will love Him and he will love me throughout eternity. All praise and glory go to my Father in heaven and to His Son, Jesus Christ, who died on the cross to pay for my sins. Salvation is by faith (trust). Read Hebrews, chapter 11, verses 1 through 40 in the Bible.
-
Matthew 11, verses 25 and 26
-
"And Jesus prayed this prayer: "O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank you for hiding the truth from those who think themselves so wise, and for revealing it to little children. Yes, Father, for it pleased you to do it that way!"
-
Please note that in this testimony I have not exalted any religion or myself. As for my part I have only said I trust in God's love for me. But I have used this testimony to glorify God and to witness to "His power" in the salvation of all those who place their faith, trust, confidence, and hope in Him. God is the "author and finisher" of salvation. Because of this all glory, honor and praise belong to HIM.
-
For the purpose of clarity, let me define what I feel is the relationship between the words Religion, Christian, and Church.
-
Religion = Organized groups of people professing certain religious beliefs and having a hierarchy of leadership. The leadership determines their religious beliefs based upon their interpretation of their reference book writings (the Bible or similar book) and doctrine studies.
-
Christian = A person who is personally trusting that God loves him and sent his son, Jesus Christ, into the world to die on a cross for his/her sins. A person that trusts God to save and keep him/her just as Abraham did. (Read Romans 4:1-8) A Christian is a person that has been reborn (filled) with God's Holy Spirit by God Himself. --- Jesus describes a true Christian in John 3:7 & 8; 7: Do not marvel that I said to you, 'you must be born again.' 8. The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit
-
Church = The Church is a "Spiritual Church" (spiritual house 1 Peter 2:4-5) (Mark 14:58) (Acts 17:23-25) (2 Cor. 5:1) (Heb 9:11 and 24) made up of Christians. Since it consists of 'born again Christians' (see above) the true Church is as Jesus described a born again Christian in John 3:8.
-
John 3:8 NKJV
8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit."
-
Therefore, the Church is a spiritual entity, made by the will of God and built without human hands of flesh, and the head of the Church is Jesus Christ who gave his life for it. I, personally feel that no man is to be considered as head of the Church. The Church's visibility in the world is shown through Christians that profess that faith in Jesus‘ work on the cross has saved them, individually and as groups. It is not a religious organization, or building, or certain place. Read LUKE, 17:20 "The Kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say, here it is, or there it is, because the kingdom of God "is" within you.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Richard,

I can appreciate your stance and reasoning. On the other hand, i also believe in the importance of a physical Church (for lack of a better term).

Its tough to find one that preaches truth without compromising. Chances are great it'll be small. Bible truth tends to drive people away, but then again... Narrow and straight is the way and few find it.

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
H. Richard said:
I have talked with many representatives of religions. Some of them come to my door and many others are on Internet forums. Although I placed my faith in Jesus at the early age of 9, talking with these representatives caused me to examine what I really believe about God and my relationship with him.
-
I dont have a lot of time -- this is all i have read but i believe in getting to the nitty gritty, esp as concerns soemthing as important as eternal life... and Hell, etc..

Jesus established ONE Church. That church looks different today than it did 2000 yrs ago... but so does everything else in the world

This one Church is the Roman Catholic Church... though u will be told otherwise by many...

only Catholic "stuff" helps me (rosary, Holy Mass...) when the devil (who is more powerful than un-aided humans) attacks... This is my exp erience and even though i have had experiences w/ bad (very bad sometimes) priests and parishioners who are anything but Christian... I do not pay attn to taht b/c i have... the Church, which is indestructible...

Christ (of course) watches over said Church... keeps it from teaching error... keeps the rogues therein from doing massive damage...

"I will build My Church" said Jesus "and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it" Mt 16:18

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ScaliaFan said:
I dont have a lot of time -- this is all i have read but i believe in getting to the nitty gritty, esp as concerns soemthing as important as eternal life... and Hell, etc..

Jesus established ONE Church. That church looks different today than it did 2000 yrs ago... but so does everything else in the world

This one Church is the Roman Catholic Church... though u will be told otherwise by many...

only Catholic "stuff" helps me (rosary, Holy Mass...) when the devil (who is more powerful than un-aided humans) attacks... This is my exp erience and even though i have had experiences w/ bad (very bad sometimes) priests and parishioners who are anything but Christian... I do not pay attn to taht b/c i have... the Church, which is indestructible...

Christ (of course) watches over said Church... keeps it from teaching error... keeps the rogues therein from doing massive damage...

"I will build My Church" said Jesus "and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it" Mt 16:18
If Jesus established the RCC then men let it become the house of Satan. They preach rules and then break them by what they do.

There is no way under heaven that anyone in the RCC can make me forget the torture of those in the inquisition that were burned at the stake and in my heart I know that God will not forget either. You must be able to reject the study of world history but I can not. Jesus had these same things in mind when He said the following;

Mark 12:38-40
Beware of the Scribes (Matt 23:1-7; Luke 20:45-47) 38 Then He said to them in His teaching, "Beware of the scribes, who desire to go around in long robes, love greetings in the marketplaces,
39 the best seats in the synagogues, and the best places at feasts,
40 who devour widows' houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. These will receive greater condemnation."
NKJV

Luke 20:46-47
46 "Beware of the scribes, who desire to go around in long robes, love greetings in the marketplaces, the best seats in the synagogues, and the best places at feasts,
47 who devour widows' houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. These will receive greater condemnation."
NKJV

It is a matter of history that the leaders of the RCC had people burned at the stake so that they, the RCC, could confiscate their wealth. It is beyond me how anyone could be a Catholic.

But to be fair I also know, by the study of history, that those of the Calvinist faith had the government burn Jews and Muslims at the stake if they did not convert to Christianity or leave Geneva, in Switzerland. Because of Calvin Geneva was called the city of God.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII said:
Hi Richard,

I can appreciate your stance and reasoning. On the other hand, i also believe in the importance of a physical Church (for lack of a better term).

Its tough to find one that preaches truth without compromising. Chances are great it'll be small. Bible truth tends to drive people away, but then again... Narrow and straight is the way and few find it.
I also believe in a physical church but it is not the protestant or the RCC. It is a spiritual church and is made up of the children of God that have to live in sinful, physical, flesh while on this earth. In most all of Paul's writings we see that he knew other children of God because of their faith in what God has done on the cross. Not because they were religious.

Do you recall what Jesus said about the wheat and the tares?

Matt 13:24-29 -- The Parable of the Wheat and the Tares

24 Another parable He put forth to them, saying: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field;
25 but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way.
26 But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop, then the tares also appeared.
27 So the servants of the owner came and said to him, 'Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?'
28 He said to them, 'An enemy has done this.' The servants said to him, 'Do you want us then to go and gather them up?'
29 But he said, 'No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them.
NKJV

This is the condition of the churches today.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Physical "church" is mans idea,

Joh_4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
Joh_4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

But men are carnal

1Co_3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

God gave us an oporunity which got lost in teh translation. Pity what we could have done if all men ran to Christ.

Reactions: Helen

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
mjrhealth said:
Physical "church" is mans idea,
Joh_4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
Joh_4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
But men are carnal 1Co_3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
God gave us an oporunity which got lost in teh translation. Pity what we could have done if all men ran to Christ.
Heb 10:23-25
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
Psalm 133:1-3
How good and pleasant it is
when God’s people live together in unity!
2 It is like precious oil poured on the head,
running down on the beard,
running down on Aaron’s beard,
down on the collar of his robe.
3 It is as if the dew of Hermon
were falling on Mount Zion.
For there the Lord bestows his blessing,
even life forevermore.

Church, it's God's idea not man's idea.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Church, it's God's idea not man's idea.
Well than you should like up teh word "church" and see what it actually means. Nothing to do with mans wonderfull venture, and you being so learned i am sure it wont take you long. Yes men aleways trying to enslave Gods chidren is it not Christ that lets His sheep in and out, so why are men trying to replace Christ. Ans we see the mess that mens creation made, what " a house divivded against itself cannot stand".. is Christ divided????

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
mjrhealth said:
Well than you should like up teh word "church" and see what it actually means. Nothing to do with mans wonderfull venture, and you being so learned i am sure it wont take you long. Yes men aleways trying to enslave Gods chidren is it not Christ that lets His sheep in and out, so why are men trying to replace Christ. Ans we see the mess that mens creation made, what " a house divivded against itself cannot stand".. is Christ divided????
I already know what it means, which is more than I can say for you. You are ranting about institutions but the Bible does not speak about institutions. The church is the body of Christ.
Matthew 16:18
Ephesians 3:10, 5:23.
Colossians 1:24
1 Timothy 3:15
Revelation 2:7

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The church is the body of Christ
No the:church" or "German translation "Kirk", is a building with bodies in it, We are part of His "ecclesia", called out ones, and I though you where the one that was a stickler for translation. Just because one is in"chruch" does not necessarily make them part of teh body of Christ, that is like looking at a freeway chockers with cars and calling them all Fords. What we seee and what Christ sees are usually worlds aaprt, which is why christanity its the mess it is in.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
mjrhealth said:
No the:church" or "German translation "Kirk", is a building with bodies in it, We are part of His "ecclesia", called out ones, and I though you where the one that was a stickler for translation. Just because one is in"chruch" does not necessarily make them part of teh body of Christ, that is like looking at a freeway chockers with cars and calling them all Fords. What we seee and what Christ sees are usually worlds aaprt, which is why christanity its the mess it is in.
LOL... there's nothing to do with German it has to do with Greek and in the New Testament the Greek word is
ἐκκλησία (ekklēsia), which means an assembly of people that are believers in Christ.
Just because you and many others confuse the institutional church with the living and breathing Church is your problem, and those like you. Those who are part of the living breathing Body of Christ know different and better.
The issue here is not what Christ/God sees, it's what you plainly don't.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
LOL... there's nothing to do with German it has to do with Greek and in the New Testament the Greek word is
ἐκκλησία (ekklēsia), which means an assembly of people that are believers in Christ.
Just because you and many others confuse the institutional church with the living and breathing Church is your problem, and those like you. Those who are part of the living breathing Body of Christ know different and better.
The issue here is not what Christ/God sees, it's what you plainly don't.
Do yo disagree with the following?

The Church is a spiritual entity, made by the will of God and built without human hands of flesh, and the head of the Church is Jesus Christ who gave his life for it. The Church's visibility in the world is shown through Christians that profess that faith in Jesus‘ work on the cross has saved them, individually and as groups. It is not a religious organization, or building, or certain place. Read LUKE, 17:20 "The Kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say, here it is, or there it is, because the kingdom of God "is" within you.

BjornFree

Jun 25, 2010
North Norfolk, UK.
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi H. Richard,
I'm with you to a large degree having trodden the same pathway of faith since childhood, and having become aware of the apostasy that seems to me to have led Christianity astray from "the faith first delivered to the saints" (before denominationalism took over).
Indeed multiple denominational/theological paper trails can be extracted from 'the bible' and each can be equally powerfully presented to either undermine or underpin each other.
Like you (as best as I am beginning to glean) I too fall back on 'trusting in God with a simple childlike faith' in line with "trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean neither to thine own intellectual understanding nor to that of anyone else" (my adaptation).
I have a few of my own cherry picked theological paper trails (everybody's is 'cherry picked') but I only hold them as 'inclinations'; knowing full well that none of us can 'see' other than through a glass darkly until we meet Christ face to face and finally "know even as we are known".
God bless you in your endeavours to worship God in spirit and in truth ("grace and truth came by Jesus Christ" John 1:17).
Mike.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
H. Richard said:
Do yo disagree with the following?

The Church is a spiritual entity, made by the will of God and built without human hands of flesh, and the head of the Church is Jesus Christ who gave his life for it. The Church's visibility in the world is shown through Christians that profess that faith in Jesus‘ work on the cross has saved them, individually and as groups. It is not a religious organization, or building, or certain place. Read LUKE, 17:20 "The Kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say, here it is, or there it is, because the kingdom of God "is" within you.[/size]
This is the closest thing I've seen in this thread that depicts what the church is.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
mjrhealth said:
Oh I do as does He that why He said,
"come out of her my people". it wasnt just for one.
How to really do is take scripture out of context and change its meaning. That's not what a true disciple of Christ would do

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That's not what a true disciple of Christ would do
Yes he wpuld tell the truth and so I have. She you know was not called teh "mother " of all harlots for nothing.

BjornFree

Jun 25, 2010
North Norfolk, UK.
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well I'm just back from an hour or so of uplifting spiritual worship.
No dogmatic theological opinion, no trite 3-Chord "Jesus is my bestest friend" songs, no distracting Glossolalia, no charismatic cavorting in the isles, no prostrate writhing on the floor, just pure unadulterated worship with Godly awe and reverence.
You wonder where it can be found?
"Search and ye shall find"
No way am I going to lay it out before 'the insular and bigoted dogs' to be trashed as is their automatic response.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
mjrhealth said:
Yes he wpuld tell the truth and so I have. She you know was not called teh "mother " of all harlots for nothing.
Yes he would tell the truth in a direct and understandable manner, using scripture to support his point of view.
You do not.