Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does anyone here deal with this condition or any related conditions such as costochondritis or Tietze Syndrome?

I was diagnosed with Tietze Syndrome in 2009... Thoracic Outlet Syndrome last year (but had been experiencing symptoms since March 2018). Pain levels can be so severe at times, even my clothes or shower water touching me is too much.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i suspect i have costochondritis but not diagnosed by anyone though.....
Wow, you could be right about that. The way I was diagnosed was that I was having chest pain and went to the ER. They ran tests and found that I did have a heart murmur, but the chest pain was coming from severe inflammation in my ribs/cartilage. The doctor suspected I had experienced "domestic violence" and questioned me. He said that by looking at my rib cage, it looked like I had been slammed against a steering wheel in a car accident. He diagnosed "Tietze Syndrome."
The 2 conditions are similar. It can feel like you're having heart pain when there is inflammation in the rib heads. I have often been treated by my chiropractor for rib heads being out. Sis, maybe a chiropractor would be a good idea.

Reactions: lilygrace

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know what this is or if this is the same, but I've had severe chest tightness/aching in my chest after trauma in about 2011(?). It gets worse at times the pain gets really sharp now in between my shoulder blades. It didn't before. I think it is part of my freeze response and feeling stuck in it for 10+ years.

It's only gone away ONCE for a little while and I think the only reason was I was feeling safe to actually feel at that time for the first time in years and was comfortable/had something to be happy about. I stopped protecting myself from blocking off my feelings. It was like it opened up and that tightness was gone.

Came straight back when that "safe spot" turned out to be the opposite.

The last few years, the freeze response is 10x worse and comes with heart palpitations and I'm wondering if it's causing me some kind of narcolepsy. I can't stay awake very long. I have seriously wondered if it's going to get to the point where it kills me. It's already ruined my life because I can't be like this all day and focus at the same time.

I'm working on this thing where I'm supposed to feel safe in my body but I'm not there yet. I haven't been practicing very much.|

Not saying that is what you're going through, I have no idea, but just thought I would share just in case.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although I do understand what you're talking about, I believe, it isn't the same thing.

I think what's happening with you is something most survivors of longterm trauma experience... disconnecting from the body and going into a survival mode. Holding in all that trauma for so long has some major effects on health (physically and otherwise). I've known survivors for become very ill before and when they begin processing trauma ...the body has to release all that trauma. And also, we learn to tense up muscles and that effects a lot of things as well.
I have known survivors to be diagnosed with "lupus" or "fibromyalgia" ... "chronic fatigue", etc ...and it's the body releasing toxins (physical, emotional, etc). It can be phusically too much if too much is processed at once. One thing that I've found is very important for emotional health and safety is the principle of returning to joy. (The joy of the Lord is our strength!) And it is scientifically proven that our brains can only process as much negative/trauma as the "size" or capacity of our joy. So....build that joy, sis! Joy builds emotional and spiritual integrity (strength). When things become overwhelming, press the pause button, step back and spend some time being refreshed in the Lord ...get out in the sunshine and hear the birds singing ...do a puzzle, take a long soak in the tub while listening to music ... things that bring joy. Then, you are more able to come back to those negatives and deal with them.

Not sure why I went that direction. I hope it's helpful to you or someone.

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS) is where the ribs compress around that nerve and artery bundle in the upper cheat just below the collar bones. It can happen by being born with an extra rib (or something like that) or repetitive motions ...or trauma (which is the case with me). With TOS it can cause nerve damage, circulation restriction, very tight pec muscles, rib, shoulder, arm, neck pain ...it can gravitate to the back... they all effect each other.

Tietze Syndrome and Costochondritis also both can be brought on by trauma. They involve rib and cartilage inflammation.

A good chiropractor and certain exercises can help...as well as prayer, of course!

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although I do understand what you're talking about, I believe, it isn't the same thing.

I think what's happening with you is something most survivors of longterm trauma experience... disconnecting from the body and going into a survival mode. Holding in all that trauma for so long has some major effects on health (physically and otherwise). I've known survivors for become very ill before and when they begin processing trauma ...the body has to release all that trauma. And also, we learn to tense up muscles and that effects a lot of things as well.
I have known survivors to be diagnosed with "lupus" or "fibromyalgia" ... "chronic fatigue", etc ...and it's the body releasing toxins (physical, emotional, etc). It can be phusically too much if too much is processed at once. One thing that I've found is very important for emotional health and safety is the principle of returning to joy. (The joy of the Lord is our strength!) And it is scientifically proven that our brains can only process as much negative/trauma as the "size" or capacity of our joy. So....build that joy, sis! Joy builds emotional and spiritual integrity (strength). When things become overwhelming, press the pause button, step back and spend some time being refreshed in the Lord ...get out in the sunshine and hear the birds singing ...do a puzzle, take a long soak in the tub while listening to music ... things that bring joy. Then, you are more able to come back to those negatives and deal with them.

Not sure why I went that direction. I hope it's helpful to you or someone.

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS) is where the ribs compress around that nerve and artery bundle in the upper cheat just below the collar bones. It can happen by being born with an extra rib (or something like that) or repetitive motions ...or trauma (which is the case with me). With TOS it can cause nerve damage, circulation restriction, very tight pec muscles, rib, shoulder, arm, neck pain ...it can gravitate to the back... they all effect each other.

Tietze Syndrome and Costochondritis also both can be brought on by trauma. They involve rib and cartilage inflammation.

A good chiropractor and certain exercises can help...as well as prayer, of course!
Thanks @TLHKAJ! I need to get into all of that.

Since it's inflammation I wonder if MSM or Fenugreek would help? I know Fenugreek helps with inflammation incredibly well.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks @TLHKAJ! I need to get into all of that.

Since it's inflammation I wonder if MSM or Fenugreek would help? I know Fenugreek helps with inflammation incredibly well.
Moringa, Boswellia, Turmeric ...all anti inflammatory. Also, a DMSO cream... I get mine on Amazon. Straight up DMSO is good for a lot of things, but it's rough on bare skin. So make sure you get the cream with aloe vera. It's a great pain reliever and topical anti inflammatory.

Last edited:

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
im not sure if this counts as thoracic outlet but sometimes i feel like theres a pinched nerve in between my collarbone and neck and my shoulder felt pinched too.
i just had a weird headache that made me space out almost but it lasted a minute but it was pretty painful

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
im not sure if this counts as thoracic outlet but sometimes i feel like theres a pinched nerve in between my collarbone and neck and my shoulder felt pinched too.
i just had a weird headache that made me space out almost but it lasted a minute but it was pretty painful
Is this something recent?

It isn't Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (as far as I know). But those types of issues can trigger head pain.

One of the telltale signs of TOS is a painful lump in the first or second rib below the collarbone. The pinched nerves can cause nerve pain elsewhere. For me, it began with the lumps and extended into the shoulders, down my arms, and it became very difficult to use my arms. The rib pain felt like fire and it got to where I had to wear only very loose clothing and even shower water on my skin was painful.

So idk ...a pinched nerve in that area ...maybe a chiropractor could help you. It helped me. I've had a relapse over the last few months, but I also haven't seen my chiro but a couple times due to lack of work, weather, etc.

Reactions: lilygrace

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this something recent?

It isn't Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (as far as I know). But those types of issues can trigger head pain.

One of the telltale signs of TOS is a painful lump in the first or second rib below the collarbone. The pinched nerves can cause nerve pain elsewhere. For me, it began with the lumps and extended into the shoulders, down my arms, and it became very difficult to use my arms. The rib pain felt like fire and it got to where I had to wear only very loose clothing and even shower water on my skin was painful.

So idk ...a pinched nerve in that area ...maybe a chiropractor could help you. It helped me. I've had a relapse over the last few months, but I also haven't seen my chiro but a couple times due to lack of work, weather, etc.
yes. its this week.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

These guys are great and have helped me enormously with everything from TMJ to Peripheral Neuropathy.

A few months ago I was working on something and twisted my neck, there was a crack, and then I had a stiff neck/painful headache. One of their videos helped me a lot. They're funny too. :) They're my go-to along with Dr. Mandell (motivationaldoc)

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

These guys are great and have helped me enormously with everything from TMJ to Peripheral Neuropathy.

A few months ago I was working on something and twisted my neck, there was a crack, and then I had a stiff neck/painful headache. One of their videos helped me a lot. They're funny too. :) They're my go-to along with Dr. Mandell (motivationaldoc)
My chiropractor has recommended these guys's videos. :)