Thou Shall Not Covet?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that this is the same thing as jealousy and envy,.. but my question is that why is it a sin? If you're jealous that somebody has something that you want or got to do something that you really wanted to do,.. who exactly is that hurting? In the first case scenario it's not like you're stealing anything from them or anything.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that this is the same thing as jealousy and envy,.. but my question is that why is it a sin? If you're jealous that somebody has something that you want or got to do something that you really wanted to do,.. who exactly is that hurting? In the first case scenario it's not like you're stealing anything from them or anything.

For me . . .

Wanting what someone else has and you do not is the same thing as saying God isn't fair, you should have that, not them. As if we had a right to what God hasn't given us. The sin is against God, because we set ourselves over Him, instead of meekly and gratefully receiving what He Does give to us.

Much love!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me . . .

Wanting what someone else has and you do not is the same thing as saying God isn't fair, you should have that, not them. As if we had a right to what God hasn't given us. The sin is against God, because we set ourselves over Him, instead of meekly and gratefully receiving what He Does give to us.

Much love!

I see what you're saying but God doesn't give somebody a brand new motorcycle or a vacation. That's on us not Him.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you thank God for anything snd everything you have? If so, why?

Tong
R2566

Only for the things you can't buy like friends, family and well I guess clothes and shelter you buy,.. but I only thank Him for the necessities, not every time I get a new videogame or movie. That would seem a bit ridiculous lol

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:
Do you thank God for anything snd everything you have? If so, why?
Only for the things you can't buy like friends, family and well I guess clothes and shelter you buy,.. but I only thank Him for the necessities, not every time I get a new videogame or movie. That would seem a bit ridiculous lol
Why not thank Him for everything, even those things you seem a bit ridiculous to thank Him for? Seriously, do we not thank Him for giving His only begotten Son and suffer and die for our sins? Isn’t that ridiculous according to human thinking and wisdom? Are we not to give thanks to God in everything that He had done and given to us?

Tong
R2569

Taodeching

Apr 8, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Good to meet you. I had to look Covet up and it is an over desire maybe like something is all you think of. Like my friend has an apple computer and I would love to have one but that's fine but not maybe if I obsess over it.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me . . .

Much love!
I see coveting, desiring, what someone else has, wanting it for ourselves as an expression of ingratitude for what I am blessed with.They worked for what they have as do I. Wanting for myself what they've earned or been blessed with naturally by God is like stealing with my eyes. Seeing what others have as my own just by my wanting more than what I have.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think sometimes those feelings are hard to work through and understand, but it is how you act on it that makes the difference... I wouldn't want to steal anything. Id rather not go that route at all and take my chances if I am in danger of going against what God wants.

Coveting does seem like ingratitude for sure...can also be a thirst to just be looked up to I guess... Like I look at some of these strong spiritual women in my life who have counseled me a lot over the years. I've always wanted to be just like them... Sometimes I still struggle with that, because I don't even see myself equal to them. I know that isn't true. Just easy to feel that way when you have been in three years of inpatient recovery programs and just always wanted to be stable in life...I am so very grateful for not only stability, but blessings and gifts over and above that. Sometimes you hate yourself for feelings you have, but you know how to keep them in check. I think that is what is important. Dying to that flesh.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
To want and to covet are not the same thing. I see coveting as a very strong selfish desire of wanting to have what others have to be yours as to take it away from them or in other words selfishly desiring and wanting for them not to have what they have. That’s not love.

Tong
R2570

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not thank Him for everything, even those things you seem a bit ridiculous to thank Him for? Seriously, do we not thank Him for giving His only begotten Son and suffer and die for our sins? Isn’t that ridiculous according to human thinking and wisdom? Are we not to give thanks to God in everything that He had done and given to us?

Tong
R2569

No the first part isn't ridiculous but God didn't give me my videogames and movies I bought some of them and the others were Christmas and birthday gifts. Now, to thank Him for the money to give me those would be an entirely different story.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:
No the first part isn't ridiculous but God didn't give me my videogames and movies I bought some of them and the others were Christmas and birthday gifts. Now, to thank Him for the money to give me those would be an entirely different story.
Yes you bought them. But ultimately, you were able to buy them, because God had blessed you to have something that you can buy them with.

Just to be clear, buying video games and movies and the like may or may not be God’s will for you. More likely than not, it is your will to buy them. There is nothing really wrong in buying things or doing things that makes us happy or satisfy our want. But why we thank God for everything is in the context of this: that in everything that we do, we do all for the glory of God.

Tong
R2574

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Coveting might lead to stealing; and Jesus brings the law down to the nitty-gritty of what is in the heart; so that He can deal with our sins at their root. He does this more extensively in the Sermon on the Mount; but He also does it in the original ten commandments.

Commandment 10 (thou shalt not covet) is a re-iteration at the heart level of commandment 8 (thou shalt not steal).

Reactions: Azim

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think sometimes those feelings are hard to work through and understand, but it is how you act on it that makes the difference... I wouldn't want to steal anything. Id rather not go that route at all and take my chances if I am in danger of going against what God wants.
Coveting and lust are the same. Jesus said to lust after another is adultery. Just the desire makes you guilty of the act, whether the opportunity came to commit that act...whether you did act...or not. Your neighbors goods, whether its his car or prize rose, or his wife/husband. No difference. To covet is the same as theft.

Reactions: Nancy

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Coveting and lust are the same. Jesus said to lust after another is adultery. Just the desire makes you guilty of the act, whether the opportunity came to commit that act...whether you did act...or not. Your neighbors goods, whether its his car or prize rose, or his wife/husband. No difference. To covet is the same as theft.
And, it is not necessarily something that you have any control over....so it might be classified as a non-willful sin.

However, as the Holy Spirit does the work of sanctification within you, those type of things do melt away in God's timing.

Reactions: Azim

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Coveting might lead to stealing; and Jesus brings the law down to the nitty-gritty of what is in the heart; so that He can deal with our sins at their root. He does this more extensively in the Sermon on the Mount; but He also does it in the original ten commandments.

Commandment 10 (thou shalt not covet) is a re-iteration at the heart level of commandment 8 (thou shalt not steal).
Yes, coveting may well lead to stealing. But those are two distinct commandments. Coveting is sin. Stealing is another sin.

Tong
R2580

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Not really. There is difference between coveting and stealing. That is obvious in that God gave them as separate commandments.

Tong
R2581

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes you bought them. But ultimately, you were able to buy them, because God had blessed you to have something that you can buy them with.

Just to be clear, buying video games and movies and the like may or may not be God’s will for you. More likely than not, it is your will to buy them. There is nothing really wrong in buying things or doing things that makes us happy or satisfy our want. But why we thank God for everything is in the context of this: that in everything that we do, we do all for the glory of God.

Tong
R2574

Isn't that basically what I just said in different words?

Reactions: Taodeching

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 said:

Isn't that basically what I just said in different words?
If that is basically what you were saying, then pardon me for not getting that. Just glad that you were actually saying the same.

Tong
R2588

Reactions: April_Rose

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, coveting may well lead to stealing. But those are two distinct commandments. Coveting is sin. Stealing is another sin.

Tong
R2580

Coveting is the heart issue at the heart of stealing. You probably cannot steal without coveting first the thing that you stole.

God is saying by this, that sin is an issue of the heart; just like He did in the Sermon on the Mount.

What you do outwardly matters; but the inward motivation also matters and is sin.