thou shalt be above only, and thou shalt not be beneath;

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot of politics right now. A few verses to consider in the midst of so much unrest.

Deuteronomy 28:12-13 The Lord shall open unto thee his good treasure, the heaven to give the rain unto thy land in his season, and to bless all the work of thine hand: and thou shalt lend unto many nations, and thou shalt not borrow. [13] And the Lord shall make thee the head, and not the tail; and thou shalt be above only, and thou shalt not be beneath; if that thou hearken unto the commandments of the Lord thy God, which I command thee this day, to observe and to do them :

John 8:23 And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.

We quote it. We claim it as those in Christ become. ‘You are of this world; I am not of this world.’ What of the ‘you are from beneath; I am from above.’? Unless a man be born from above he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Come down from above. Christ.
Or From beneath. Adam.

then we quote: 1 Corinthians 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Spirit teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

John 3:31 He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.

1 Corinthians 3:20-23 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain. [21] Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours; [22] Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours; [23] And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.

1 Corinthians 15:48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

Are those born of God from beneath?
Or are those born of God (come down)from Above?
Colossians 3:1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. [2] Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

confusing then when Romans 12:16 seems to contradict ‘set your affections on above’ yet ‘mind not high things’

But consider: you are from beneath. I am from above. You are of this world. I am not of this world. My ways and thoughts are higher. possibly ‘high minded and conceit’ is from beneath ‘our own thoughts’ of this world and earthly. ‘Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.’

Condescend to those low and be not (prideful, boastful, trusting in your own conceits and riches in setting yourself up against a brother). Consider the ‘look on these things’ with Philippians 2:4-5 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also (look)on the things of others. [5] Let this mind (thought)be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Titus 1:15-16 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. [16] They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

suggest it is a perspective or change of mind, a turning of the heart: unto the pure all things are pure.

but to the defiled is nothing pure (except in their own image, deceit and conceits) Isaiah 65:5 Which say, Stand by thyself, come not near to me; for I am holier than thou. These are a smoke in my nose, a fire that burneth all the day.

Last edited:

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 8:23 And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.

How about we taker a closer look at the phrase 'from beneath'?

Isaiah 14:9
"Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations."

And there you have it. 'Beneath' is not the dust of the ground, it is Hell.

Another Witness...

Proverbs 15:24
"The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath."

John 8:23 is very similar to the above verse. Beneath is referring to Hell where we came from.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 8:23 is very similar to the above verse. Beneath is referring to Hell where we came from.

yes connected to John 8:23 as He said ‘ I am the way that leads to Life’ your ways beneath lead to death. Also makes me think of Hebrews 12:11-12 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. [12] Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;

Proverbs 23:14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Hebrews 5:8-9 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; [9] And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation (deliverance from hell and torment)unto all them that obey him;

Revelation 2:27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.

Reactions: Base12

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 12:11-12 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. [12] Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;

Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness’ for the present stands out there, chastening for the present does not seem to be joyous, but grievous with (a promise) in that ‘nevertheless’ afterward it yields ...birth of ‘the peaceable fruit of righteousness’

Hebrews 5:8-9 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; [9] And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation (deliverance from hell and torment)unto all them that obey him;

‘being made perfect, he became the author...’ as said above He is the way of Life.

Remember ‘Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless ...’ and the ‘for the present’ with Hebrews 9:9 Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;

with ‘And being made perfect, he became the author...’ and Finisher Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Remember ‘in the present’ Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless ...’ With Mark 10:30 But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

Remember ‘in the present’ Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless ...’ with Romans 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Hebrews 12:9-10 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? [10] For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.

Last edited: