Though a righteous man may fall seven times

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have to admit that I have used this scripture to justify a person who backslides and comes back and repents and is restored in righteousness.....but I do believe I have misapplied this scripture and have been corrected.....this scripture has been stirring on my heart recently so I decided to study it further through scripture and through online testimonies...I really like this blog about it and it really ministered to me and made me realize I have been guilty of leading others astray......Forgive me, Lord.

https://www.eternallifeblog.com/righteous-man-falls-time

A Righteous Man Falls Seven Times
Posted on May 21, 2013 by Eternal Life
Never in my life have I ever heard the phrase, a righteous man falls seven times used correctly! It has always been distorted and misused in connection with a righteous man falling into sin.

How Does A Righteous Man Fall Seven Times
Most recently, after witnessing to two women captive to HERETIC Charles Stanley and his false gospel, I have heard the phrase, a righteous man falls seven times, misused again and I’m disturbed!
falls-seven-times.jpg
To try to end this horrible misuse of Scripture by the eternal security proponents, please note the context:

Do not lie in wait like an outlaw against a righteous man’s house, do not raid his dwelling place; for though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again, but the wicked are brought down by calamity. (Prov 24:15,16)

A Righteous Man Falls Into Calamity
NOTE: Again, a righteous man may fall, but it is NOT referring to falling into sin! It’s referring to falling into calamity, as from an outlaw raiding his dwelling, according to the context! Please don’t be deceived about that or mislead others by using that passage to argue for the doctrine of demons called once saved always saved. A Christian is not sinning everyday, as his image is often distorted to. Furthermore, don’t allow an eternal security teacher to mislead you about who are the righteous:

Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. He who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. He who does what is sinful is of the devil …. (1 John 3:7,8)

Anyone else have insight to this scripture?

Reactions: faithfulness

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have to admit that I have used this scripture to justify a person who backslides and comes back and repents and is restored in righteousness.....but I do believe I have misapplied this scripture and have been corrected.....this scripture has been stirring on my heart recently so I decided to study it further through scripture and through online testimonies...I really like this blog about it and it really ministered to me and made me realize I have been guilty of leading others astray......Forgive me, Lord.

https://www.eternallifeblog.com/righteous-man-falls-time

A Righteous Man Falls Seven Times
Posted on May 21, 2013 by Eternal Life
Never in my life have I ever heard the phrase, a righteous man falls seven times used correctly! It has always been distorted and misused in connection with a righteous man falling into sin.

How Does A Righteous Man Fall Seven Times
Most recently, after witnessing to two women captive to HERETIC Charles Stanley and his false gospel, I have heard the phrase, a righteous man falls seven times, misused again and I’m disturbed!
falls-seven-times.jpg
To try to end this horrible misuse of Scripture by the eternal security proponents, please note the context:

Do not lie in wait like an outlaw against a righteous man’s house, do not raid his dwelling place; for though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again, but the wicked are brought down by calamity. (Prov 24:15,16)

A Righteous Man Falls Into Calamity
NOTE: Again, a righteous man may fall, but it is NOT referring to falling into sin! It’s referring to falling into calamity, as from an outlaw raiding his dwelling, according to the context! Please don’t be deceived about that or mislead others by using that passage to argue for the doctrine of demons called once saved always saved. A Christian is not sinning everyday, as his image is often distorted to. Furthermore, don’t allow an eternal security teacher to mislead you about who are the righteous:

Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. He who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. He who does what is sinful is of the devil …. (1 John 3:7,8)

Anyone else have insight to this scripture?

The Hebrew word for fall is naphal....which is pretty clearly calamitous.... it can mean to die. This does cover sin....since all righteous men will sin. A righteous person is often too weak to resist every temptation that comes along. But a righteous person repents and learns a valuable lesson about his/her own weakness.

There is also the idea of falling from grace...as in looking away from the Lord even for a moment. It all depends on the closeness of the walk. Think of Peter's lapse of faith when he walked on the water. We may criticize...but who else wanted to try it?

Try walking on a white line on the road. Easy enough. But if you take that line and put it 10,000 feet in he air...it suddenly becomes very difficult to walk confidently on it. God does this with us...He raises the stakes. At first this is perturbing. But a faithful continuance will see to it. Not everybody takes to it right away. We don't know the standard that God expects from a person. What seems easy could be very difficult. So we can't judge another's man's walk.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Hebrew word for fall is naphal....which is pretty clearly calamitous.... it can mean to die. This does cover sin....since all righteous men will sin. A righteous person is often too weak to resist every temptation that comes along. But a righteous person repents and learns a valuable lesson about his/her own weakness.

There is also the idea of falling from grace...as in looking away from the Lord even for a moment. It all depends on the closeness of the walk. Think of Peter's lapse of faith when he walked on the water. We may criticize...but who else wanted to try it?

Try walking on a white line on the road. Easy enough. But if you take that line and put it 10,000 feet in he air...it suddenly becomes very difficult to walk confidently on it. God does this with us...He raises the stakes. At first this is perturbing. But a faithful continuance will see to it. Not everybody takes to it right away. We don't know the standard that God expects from a person. What seems easy could be very difficult. So we can't judge another's man's walk.
OH mercy....I am getting confused.....well my original belief is as you have stated but when I read through the whole chapter it was referring to calamity so you are saying that sin can be applied to this because it would be considered "calamity"
I really wish I knew Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic...it would definitely help with interpreting the truth accurately....lol.

Reactions: Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

interesting post!

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
OH mercy....I am getting confused.....well my original belief is as you have stated but when I read through the whole chapter it was referring to calamity so you are saying that sin can be applied to this because it would be considered "calamity"
I really wish I knew Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic...it would definitely help with interpreting the truth accurately....lol.

Falling can mean different things to different people. There are different depths of walk. But I would include sin...and unbelief...even a momentary lapse that causes us to stumble.

Was it a sin when Peter sank into the water? Not so much a sin...but a lack of faith. This is at the deeper righteousness level. Not many could even go as far as he did.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Just goes to show how different we all are . And how we read.

I have never thought that it referred to backsliding :)
I have always thought it was encouragement to just keep on keeping on when our faith is wobbly.
We waver , we trip, and sit down to rest... But because of our calling , we shake ourself and arise once more, and go forward.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
an online Lex is great for that, dunno how i ever read Scripture without one. And fwiw Hebrews do not even understand ancient Hebrew lol, you'll notice a lot of "from an unknown orig" or "from an unused word," etc, even in the Lex.

No one is sure how Jesus' Name was pronounced; no one knows how those Masoretic vowel points were actually pronounced for sure back then, etc

as to your point imo God's "hedge" around those protected should also be considered, imo a righteous man falls into calamity to teach him a lesson, bc he has missed the mark, yes. But it is us ppl who focus on the sin and the blame and the punishment, when after all i dunno about you but that is how i have learned virtually every single thing in my life so far, by doing it wrong first. Imo a righteous man can still be ignorant of a certain thing, and still has desires, and these two can combine to make listening to the Spirit more difficult, or less appetizing in the moment maybe, but you can tell after the fact bc you'll be hearing either confession or excuses i guess

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ps 94 :18 "When I said, My foot slippeth;
Thy mercy, O LORD, held me up
."

Ps 37:24 "Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the Lord upholdeth him with His hand."

Mic 7:8 " Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me."

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
an online Lex is great for that, dunno how i ever read Scripture without one. And fwiw Hebrews do not even understand ancient Hebrew lol, you'll notice a lot of "from an unknown orig" or "from an unused word," etc, even in the Lex.

No one is sure how Jesus' Name was pronounced; no one knows how those Masoretic vowel points were actually pronounced for sure back then, etc

as to your point imo God's "hedge" around those protected should also be considered, imo a righteous man falls into calamity to teach him a lesson, bc he has missed the mark, yes. But it is us ppl who focus on the sin and the blame and the punishment, when after all i dunno about you but that is how i have learned virtually every single thing in my life so far, by doing it wrong first. Imo a righteous man can still be ignorant of a certain thing, and still has desires, and these two can combine to make listening to the Spirit more difficult, or less appetizing in the moment maybe, but you can tell after the fact bc you'll be hearing either confession or excuses i guess
Wow, I didn't realize you had this much wisdom in you!:D And on top of that this really ministered to me....THANKS bbyrd009, I truly appreciate your response here.:)

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ps 94 :18 "When I said, My foot slippeth;
Thy mercy, O LORD, held me up
."

Ps 37:24 "Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the Lord upholdeth him with His hand."

Mic 7:8 " Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me."
These are excellent cross references to the OP scripture...thanks Helen!

Reactions: Helen

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are learning to walk in His grace by faith. How did Peter walk on water? By grace. What got him to step out of the boat? Faith. So then as long as He believed he walked in grace. But as soon as his faith slipped...the grace "left" him.

So we stumble on the path to spiritual maturity. What is being tested and perfected is our faith.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are learning to walk in His grace by faith. How did Peter walk on water? By grace. what got him to step out of the boat? Faith. So then as long as He believed he walked in grace. But as soon as his faith slipped...the grace "left" him.
Grace is a very deep subject in how it relates to our spiritual walk.....and you are so right...we are "learning" and may still be learning to walk in His grace at His return.:)

Reactions: Episkopos

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, I didn't realize you had this much wisdom in you!:D And on top of that this really ministered to me....THANKS bbyrd009, I truly appreciate your response here.:)
A "good" man, our friend @bbyrd009 even though at times he can be confusing. Likely most often this happens because our own confusion is also in the mix.

Reactions: Heart2Soul