Thoughts about using a KJV update?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you use a KJV update?

• Yes

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Probably

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Probably not

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

BibleBeliever5

Jan 30, 2021
The South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, I would love to hear the community’s feedback about using an update to the King James Version. I love the KJV. But the translation is in the main about 400 years old (spelling changes were made in 1769). So if there were an update that simply and accurately updated the KJV, making no changes except updating the archaic language, would you want to use it? What would be your thoughts generally about such an update? It would be great to hear what you all think. May God be glorified.

Last edited:

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if there were an update that simply and accurately updated the KJV, making no changes except updating the archaic language, would you want to use it?

Yes.

But for some reason all updaters to the AV (KJV) cannot seem to resist going beyond just updating the archaic words and expressions. They always seem to be influenced by the corrupted alexandrian text and faulty masorectic text interpretations.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So if there were an update that simply and accurately updated the KJV, making no changes except updating the archaic language, would you want to use it?
Are you familiar with the King James 2000 Bible? It is an updated KJV.

Reactions: Nancy

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
You might want to research the issues with the NKJV more thoroughly. It is a pretender.
Doesn't matter what translation used, someone will find something wrong with it. There is no such thing as the perfect translation. The only way to find the perfect version of Scripture is to go right back to the originals, but they are lost through the passage of time. So our earliest Greek copy is from the 4th Century.

Those who maintain that the "perfect" Scriptures replace the supernatural gifts of the Spirit are on a rotten foundation because the only "perfect" ones are the originals, penned by the actual writers themselves. All our copies of Scripture are translations and therefore are imperfect. So much for "perfection" of written Scripture.

That is the nature of deception and false doctrine. It depends on out of context half-verses and faulty logic.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, I would love to hear the community’s feedback about using an update to the King James Version. I love the KJV. But the translation is in the main about 400 years old (spelling changes were made in 1769). So if there were an update that simply and accurately updated the KJV, making no changes except updating the archaic language, would you want to use it? What would be your thoughts generally about such an update? It would be great to hear what you all think. May God be glorified.
thanks for the post, get an old english dictionary to help in understanding old english words, it helps tremendously, my recommendation is the Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary of American English.

but the bottom, and the top line, make sure have the Holy Spirit as Guide and teacher.

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Reactions: Taken and TLHKAJ

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only way to find the perfect version of Scripture is to go right back to the originals, but they are lost through the passage of time

Matthew 24:35 KJV
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

The only “rotten” things are the modern translations. Not only have modern translators in this adulterous and sinful generation caused “Christians” to loose faith in the word of God, but they have also spread their wisdom of “no Bible is perfect” mentality like a cancer.

Reactions: Nancy and TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was 13 when I came to Christ. I had a KJV kids Bible with the picture inserts....then after I memorized the books of the Bible, my youth pastor purchased me a Thompson Chain Reference Bible. I can tell you one thing for sure... you don't need anything other than a hungry and seeking heart and the Holy Spirit. The Word is ALIVE and ACTIVE ....sharper than a two-edged sword! It comes alive when Holy Spirit opens your understanding. You don't need man's pretty interpretations or additions. All you need is the Spirit of truth who resides within you when you'rea believer in Christ. :)

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You guys are funny.
Would you use a KJV update?
You already are!
If anybody has a copy of the 1611 version of the KJV, let me know, I want it for a Christmas present!
Since 1611 there have been 3 major revisions.
A few scriptural modifications that some call additions because they were reworded to support certain theological beliefs.
Then there is outright additional scriptures.
They have over a dozen printing error corrections / revisions which are valuable.
(And by the way those that were responsible for the printing errors were prosecuted.)
Dozens of simple word changes.
The original KJV was written in a period that there was not a solid understanding of the languages involved and particularly the grammatical rules of biblical Greek. Since then older copies of the NT have been found that are different than what is translated in the KJV.

Billy Evmur

Dec 30, 2020
London
facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is the theology of the KJV translators which made it what it is, the theology of William Tynedale. This theology is no longer in the ascendancy.

Mosheli

Jul 2, 2020
Wellington
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I quite like the KJV/AV except for the thees and thous and thines etc. I don't think it is good having so/too many different translations/versions around as it is abit like Babel confusion. However, I think that all translations including even the KJV/AV are not all totally accurate. Many times in my Biblical, Arthurian, & Atlantis studies I've found out that all the experts English translations are allegedly wrong. (I mean fluent scholars told/showed me so. Eg someone recently showed the "Zerah the Ethiopian" is wrong translation.) It is not easy to translate accurately all the meanings of words in other languages like Hebrew. English especially because it doesn't have cases. It best to always refer back to the original languages. I found these sources very helpful:
Transliteration/interlinear of the Hebrew Massoretic Old Testament ( www.qbible.com/hebrew-old-testament/genesis/1.html ) and of the Greek New Testament ( biblehub.com/interlinear/matthew/1.htm ).
But I can't find any transliteration/interlinear of the Greek Septuagint Old Testament except possibly a pdf which takes forever to load ( septuagint-interlinear-greek-bible.com/OldTestament.pdf ). There are interlinears of Septuagint but only with the Greek using the Greek alphabet and English translation, not with the Greek transliterated in the "Roman" alphabet we use, and I'm not good with other scripts/alphabets. There is a translation of the Septuagint ( ebible.org/eng-lxx2012/index.htm ) (though it doesn't seem to be a very accurate translation).
It can also be helpful comparing different translations/versions. I also compare Dead Sea Scolls and Josephus, though I only have English translations.

The Revised Version was an update.
The NKJV is supposedly an updated KJV but it has more changes/differences than just the thees and thines.

Maybe someone could list differences between KJV and other translations?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since 1611 there have been 3 major revisions.

The only changes were spelling uniformity and correcting printing errors. Hardly “major” things.

A few scriptural modifications that some call additions because they were reworded to support certain theological beliefs.

Lie.

Then there is outright additional scriptures.

Lie.

The original KJV was written in a period that there was not a solid understanding of the languages involved and particularly the grammatical rules of biblical Greek.

Lie.

Since then older copies of the NT have been found that are different than what is translated in the KJV.

True.

The garbage manuscripts that were discovered in recent times should have remained in the garbage (where one of them was literally found).

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only changes were spelling uniformity and correcting printing errors. Hardly “major” things.

Lie.

Lie.

Lie.

True.

The garbage manuscripts that were discovered in recent times should have remained in the garbage (where one of them was literally found).
One of the problems is that some people think that it is a God.
It is not.
When the KJV first came out the most popular Bible with the Protestants was the Geneva Bible. And many accused the KJV Bible of being a satanic corruption. Of course it was not. Now the KJV advocates ridicule new translations...it is just the way people are.
The poetic style of the KJV makes for good reading at ceremonies but does not make for a good study Bible, for one thing a lot of new Christians cannot make heads or tails of the 17th century poetic writing.
The history of the KJV of the Bible is well documented, you do not have to take any bodies word for it, you can look it up yourself.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Welcome! Id just compare carefully personally. I love youversion, but things read differently to me. But I use the Message now, because I believe it has got me back into the Bible again. I drift less I guess...

But yeh, definitely good to compare and be careful. I don't know Greek or Hebrew and grateful I don't have to in order to know what the Word says. It was present in the very beginning before even being written down! :)

Welcome to CB!

Reactions: Nancy