Timing The Birth Of Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Palm Sunday was fairly easy to predict; and from that, the wise men
probably obtained a pretty good rough idea when to expect Jesus' birth.

The explanation is a bit too long to post. Follow the link below for details.

Palm Sunday

Plus, the wise men had an advantage. According to Matt 2:12, they were in
contact with God. In other words: the men weren't acting on their own
initiative: they were on a mission; directed and supervised by divine
oversight.
_

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Palm Sunday was fairly easy to predict; and from that, the wise men
probably obtained a pretty good rough idea when to expect Jesus' birth.
Actually the wise men (Magi) had no knowledge of Palm Sunday (so-called). What they did know was the Torah, and were probably proselytes from Arabia or Persia, but genuinely saved. And in the Torah, the star of Bethlehem as well as King-Messiah were already prophesied, and God made that revelation to Balaam:

NUMBERS 24
12 And Balaam said unto Balak, Spake I not also to thy messengers which thou sentest unto me, saying,
13 If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the commandment of the LORD, to do either good or bad of mine own mind; but what the LORD saith, that will I speak?
14 And now, behold, I go unto my people: come therefore, and I will advertise thee what this people shall do to thy people in the latter days.
15 And he took up his parable, and said, Balaam the son of Beor hath said, and the man whose eyes are open hath said:
16 He hath said, which heard the words of God, and knew the knowledge of the most High, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling into a trance, but having his eyes open:
17 I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.
18 And Edom shall be a possession, Seir also shall be a possession for his enemies; and Israel shall do valiantly.

19 Out of Jacob shall come he that shall have dominion, [KING-MESSIAH] and shall destroy him that remaineth of the city.

Also, from the Torah, they would know that King-Messiah would be from the tribe of Judah:The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh [KING-MESSIAH] come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be. Binding his foal unto the vine, and his ass's colt unto the choice vine; he washed his garments in wine, and his clothes in the blood of grapes: His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk.(Gen 49:10-12)

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does the arrival of the Wisemen have to do with the timing of His birth, since they didn't arrive for nearly two years AFTER He was born?

Reactions: Helen

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually the wise men (Magi) had no knowledge of Palm Sunday (so-called). What they did know was the Torah, and were probably proselytes from Arabia or Persia, but genuinely saved. And in the Torah, the star of Bethlehem as well as King-Messiah were already prophesied, and God made that revelation to Balaam:

NUMBERS 24
12 And Balaam said unto Balak, Spake I not also to thy messengers which thou sentest unto me, saying,
13 If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the commandment of the LORD, to do either good or bad of mine own mind; but what the LORD saith, that will I speak?
14 And now, behold, I go unto my people: come therefore, and I will advertise thee what this people shall do to thy people in the latter days.
15 And he took up his parable, and said, Balaam the son of Beor hath said, and the man whose eyes are open hath said:
16 He hath said, which heard the words of God, and knew the knowledge of the most High, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling into a trance, but having his eyes open:
17 I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.
18 And Edom shall be a possession, Seir also shall be a possession for his enemies; and Israel shall do valiantly.

19 Out of Jacob shall come he that shall have dominion, [KING-MESSIAH] and shall destroy him that remaineth of the city.

Also, from the Torah, they would know that King-Messiah would be from the tribe of Judah:The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh [KING-MESSIAH] come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be. Binding his foal unto the vine, and his ass's colt unto the choice vine; he washed his garments in wine, and his clothes in the blood of grapes: His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk.(Gen 49:10-12)

The Magi were Zoroastrian astrologers.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May have been at one time. You cannot rule out their salvation. Based on the Bible evidence. Only believers worship Christ.

The topic is the timing of the birth of Christ.

As far as her salvation goes, I hope so.

As far as only believers worship Christ that is not true.

Definition of worship
(Entry 1 of 2)

transitive verb

1 : to honor or reverence as a divine being or supernatural power

2 : to regard with great or extravagant respect, honor, or devotion a celebrity worshipped by her fans

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You knew they were never there at the stable, didn't you? They didn't show up at Joseph and Mary's house for at least a year and a half later, when Jesus was a toddler..

How do you come to that willie?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm thinking that can t be supported...are you basing that on Her od killing all males 2 and under after he asked the men when the star had first appeared?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What does the arrival of the Wisemen have to do with the timing of His birth, since they didn't arrive for nearly two years AFTER He was born?
You knew they were never there at the stable, didn't you? They didn't show up at Joseph and Mary's house for at least a year and a half later, when Jesus was a toddler..

Really, Mary was required by the "Law" Lev 12:1-4 to go up to the Temple around 41 after she had given birth. They went up to the temple from Nazareth to have Mary purified and then returned to Nazareth afterwards. Joseph took, Mary and Jesus on a journey of 5 days down to Egypt. News, of Herod's death occurred 5 days after the soldiers had killed the babies in Bethlehem. Then they journeyed back to Bethlehem but continued on to Nazareth because of Herod's son, Archelaus, ruled in Herod's place, a further two to three days journey after returning from Egypt. Adding up the number of days that they were traveling from Bethlehem to Egypt, Egypt to Nazareth and Nazareth to Jerusalem for Mary to be purified, we have 5+5+8+3 days, a total of 21 days for the travel. Which means that the Wise men went to Bethlehem one or two days after Jesus was born, and on their leaving Bethlehem Joseph was warned to leave and journeyed down to Egypt. That means that they probably spent two weeks in Nazareth before going to Jerusalem for Mary's purification and to present Jesus to God in the Temple.

I somehow think that you have accepted the Myths surrounding Jesus' birth rather than actually putting the chronological sequence of the story together for yourself.

Shalom

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am failing to see how Palm Sunday is connected to Jesus's birth. Can someone explain it to me?

I read the article... Its long...I may have missed the part where it connects Palm Sunday to the Birth.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm thinking that can t be supported...are you basing that on Herod killing all males 2 years and under after he asked the Wisemen when the star had first appeared?
What other "timing" do we have, other than Josephus' eclipse in Antiquities.... which wasn't even a full eclipse?

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you come to that willie?
Willie T is correct. in the manger christ was a babe, but when the wise men came to worshop the Lord and King, he was a "YOUNG" child, and not a babe, and in a house, supportive scripture,
Matthew 2:10 "When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.
Matthew 2:11 "And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh".

and this was appox as said 2 years past his birth. supportive scripture,
Matthew 2:7 "Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared.

Matthew 2:16 "Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently enquired of the wise men.

so the wise men showed up later than the birth where the shephards witness his birth in the manger.
So Willie T is correct.

hoped that helped.