Tithing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
iHING
Christian........I hope you are doing this....and if ya aren't......you be missin out. $
So...lets here why ya don't and why ya do.
OK.......I get it.........you want me to start it off.....
Let me put it this way.........I'm scared not to.....I'd would pay the tithe before I bought even food.
WHY?

That's easy...................I want to see how God is going to pull it off :) I've seen many miracles pertaining to tithing....OK...I'll give one.

We were down and out.....no money....plenty of bills and no food. I completed a job and satan is standing by directing where the money should go..."pay the bills, buy food, keep the money"
I did neither............I tithed........next morning we woke up........and behold....our patio was covered in bags and bags of groceries.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm still don't know where they came from.....and that was 26 years ago....
Never....never.....never.......miss a tithe or offering.

Test God in this...trust me....ahhh no....Trust God!

CHRISTIAN UP!

laid renard

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Tithing confuses me. Learned scholars can't agree if tithing is mandatory or not. I use to tithe 20%. But I'm not currently attending church so I don't. Can't find a good one.

OUCH ! WHO THREW THAT STONE ? IT HURT......

Seriously, I've read where scholars have said if you can't afford it, don't. God does not want your children without food in the fridge.

So, like I said..... I'm confused.

I'm like that a lot. :wacko:

Edited for spelling. Pet peeve.... :D

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Well..you have come to the right place.......eeeeeeeeek...just looked at the clock I'm late for church.........warrior out :)
i'LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL BE BACK

Lux

Apr 18, 2014
We have tithing at church - 10%.

I don't mind it. When I see where the money is going and what good it does - then I am proud to be able to help.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Lux said:
We have tithing at church - 10%.

I don't mind it. When I see where the money is going and what good it does - then I am proud to be able to help.
You are not helping.......God said...don't give the tithe.................BRING IT!

laid renard said:
Tithing confuses me. Learned scholars can't agree if tithing is mandatory or not. I use to tithe 20%. But I'm not currently attending church so I don't. Can't find a good one.

OUCH ! WHO THREW THAT STONE ? IT HURT......

Seriously, I've read where scholars have said if you can't afford it, don't. God does not want your children without food in the fridge.

So, like I said..... I'm confused.
Laid? "Yes Randor".
"Come sit with me for awhile....come closer....please sit". Clank! Bam! Clunk!
"What is that noise Randor?"
"Those are rocks, they will not get to you in here".
"We are in a sound proof room I borrowed from Pink Panther, no one can hear what we are talking about, don't be afraid".
"Randor?"
"Yes"
"Tithing confuses me".
"Laid, who is the master of confusion?"
"But what about the scholars and what they say?"
"Are not they mere men? Who most of their lives have just studied the word but have never met their savior personally?"
"Laid, if you have met your savior personally, then why do you need any outside help from anyone? You have Jesus".
"Yes, Randor I understand that...but....but...".
"Laid, if you did, why are we having this conversation?".
"OK Randor tell me about tithing then".
"Laid I'm sure you are aware of all the wires in a telephone line. The telephone man might say...we can leave this wire out, but somewhere someday you might not get to reach your destination. You will be able to connect to 90% of all your phone calls, and we can save hundreds on your bill...just sign here".
"Laid?..."don't you want to be connected to God 100% 24/7?"
"Yes Randor".
"Laid...we must be all in....or we are not all in".
"Laid...you are taking away all the Opportunity God wants to bless you, you must give Him a chance to show off, he loves that".
"Laid, isn't it better to give than recieve?"
"Yes"
"You just took a breath...now don't let it out....keep it to yourself".
"I'll pass out Randor".
"Exactly".
"Laid....you must find a church, and quickly...and I mean quickly."
"But Randor...I haven't been able to find a good one".
"Laid, you are so precious in God's sight...give Him your all...and remember...when you do find that perfect church....
Now You Are There."
"Randor the rocks have stopped."
"They have been thrown Laid."

laid renard

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
roflmao.gif

I know Randor..... Must do better.......

And there is this nice little Pentecostal church I've had my eye on. ;)

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Randor,

Tithing was required under the law. The law has passed away. Jesus spoke of tithing when speaking to the Jews, who of course at that time were still under law.

In the letters to the churches tithing is only mentioned when writing to the Hebrews, who were Jews.
Heb 7:5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

Should one give anything? Yes, but not because someone on the pulpit tells us we are required to do it. That creates a purpose other than love.
2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Don't let greedy men tell you that you are commanded to tithe. Not true! Give what you purpose in your heart.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Don't buy it.......what happened to Caesar....still going to play it safe and tithe....not because of man...but because God says so...
I've just seen to many miracles when tithing.
God looks down and sayzzzzzzzzzzzz....my good and faithful servant......

And can always tell how much our business is growing by our tithes...........and you are right...be a cheerful giver......for if it wasn't for God........ya wouldn't have two pennies to rub together.

And by the way..........those two pennies are His anywayzzzzzzzzzz.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Ever notice when preacher types encourage you to tithe it is because they hope to receive the money

I once had a Pentecostal preacher try to tell me how important it was to give money to the church.

I was sitting in his church office so I pulled out my checkbook and wrote in a large amount.

He was all smiles until I pointed out it was made out to the church down the street

Boy was he ever pisssed

Reactions: Raining

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
RANDOR said:
Don't buy it.......what happened to Caesar....still going to play it safe and tithe....not because of man...but because God says so...
I've just seen to many miracles when tithing.
God looks down and sayzzzzzzzzzzzz....my good and faithful servant......

And can always tell how much our business is growing by our tithes...........and you are right...be a cheerful giver......for if it wasn't for God........ya wouldn't have two pennies to rub together.

And by the way..........those two pennies are His anywayzzzzzzzzzz.
Randor,

If you want to give 10%, then do it and be blessed, but don't try to tell others that we are still under law.

Gal_3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

Gal 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Gal 3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
South Point, Hawaii (Big Island)
Rocky Wiley said:
Randor,

If you want to give 10%, then do it and be blessed, but don't try to tell others that we are still under law.

Gal_3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

Gal 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Gal 3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
Amen!

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
Rocky Wiley said:
Randor,

Tithing was required under the law. The law has passed away. Jesus spoke of tithing when speaking to the Jews, who of course at that time were still under law.

In the letters to the churches tithing is only mentioned when writing to the Hebrews, who were Jews.
Heb 7:5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

Should one give anything? Yes, but not because someone on the pulpit tells us we are required to do it. That creates a purpose other than love.
2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Don't let greedy men tell you that you are commanded to tithe. Not true! Give what you purpose in your heart.
Yes, I agree with what Rocky's saying sorry Randor,

But I think what you are saying is great and inspiring
However it certainly is the old law.
We should all give generously, and not just of our money but of ourselves.
Opportunity's always arise to help others, there's always someone out there who needs to see the face of Christ.

I mean how many Christians out there wont lift a finger to help another man because they give each week?
I give my money like I'm supposed too I'm doing my part!!

I dont think Tithing is a bad thing dont get me wrong, but I do think we have so much more to give.

You are a blessing to others Randor, that's probably why you are blessed, and you see miracles!!

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Sorry gents...........I understand what cha all are sayin..........and there is nothing wrong at all about what you have written...

However......Now this is just me of course........and a few million other people :)
I believe God is the same Yesterday, Today and Forever...
Now......the tithe........has been called the old law......
Then lets throw away the old testament. Why read it, why pick and choose what's best for us....especially our pocket book.

I know...I know....the Lord said test me in this in the old testament.........

But I test Him in the New testament......and......I'll be darn....which really is the old continued to set us free. He does open up the barn doors.

Who are those people......oh ya............the Mennonites.....they don't play musical instruments in their church......and they choose to do this because it's not in the new testemant.

It's your all's choice to do what ever ya want....

Anyway it's suppose to top secret....shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I just started this thread.....to see if some did or some didn't.

Like the thread I started .....Are There Any Born Again Christians In Here?

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! over 400 reviews..................and just a handfull of replies......and some just knocked me.......

Now that was and still is scary.

I have been called............to make warriors for Christ........to get the lame duck Christian...off satan's couch and onto the battle field.
The last battle has already started.........either we stand this time.....or the closet, basement, cave will be our new homes.

It is scary when the majority of Christians....who call themselves Christians make this remark...............
"Well, the homosexuals really don't bother me...as long as they stay to themselves" 1 EXAMPLE
satan.........knows how to knead bread (Christians)...how to make them soft, apathetic to the point of no return.
They are the ones who say they believe in God...........And God says...............BIG WOOOOPIN DEAL!!!...SO WHAT!!!!
HA!!!! EVEN THE DEMONS BELIEVE IN ME.

GOD GAVE HIS ALL FOR ME..................I SHALL DO NO LESS

BE STRONG MEN..............ARMOR UP NOW........FOR THAT TIME IS COMING WHEN WE ARE ALL GOING TO BE CALLED UPON..
BE CAREFUL........FOR WHAT YOU SOAK IN..........WILL COME OUT WHEN YOU ARE SQUEEZED.

i LOVE YA ALL :)
AMEN!

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
The issue of tithing is a thorny one, often because guilt is used as a cudgel to get people to tithe. I don't need to preach a sermon about how God wants a cheerful, willing giver, submitting all one has in obedience to him. You've already heard that sermon.

My problem is the tithe itself, taken completely out of the context in which the tithe was first instituted. Even going back before Moses and the Levitical law, Abraham gave a tenth of his wealth to Melchizedek, King of Salem, and type of Christ. So when the Israelites were instructed to tender their tithes, it was not a new concept to them. But was God really asking for a tenth of their income? Let me first say that...

TEN PERCENT IS A LOT OF MONEY! In fact it's too much, particularly for a family trying to make ends meet, a single mother, or many other people with limited disposable income. These people should be dismayed to know that their church has been lying to them because GOD NEVER ASKED FOR TEN PERCENT OF ANYONE'S INCOME!

That's right. Income is what people received after bringing their goods to market after the harvest or after selling their livestock. God asked for tithes in the form of the highest quality ten percent of that produce being set aside for the Levite tribe before bringing the rest to market, he didn't ask for 10% of their profits. This doesn't translate percent for percent to modern society when wealth isn't measured in bushels of wheat or flocks of sheep.

Jesus said to come to him all who are weary, for his yolk is light. Who dares to lay a heavy burden on people, like the Pharisees did, and not incur the same wrath of Christ visited upon the Pharisees?

And when I see mega churches with million dollar media display systems, acres of manicured landscaping, and fancy buildings, accommodations, and well paid staff, I might humbly suggest that it isn't the congregation that needs to pay more, it's the church that needs to make do with less. Demanding an unbiblical TEN PERCENT OF ONE'S INCOME is scandalously self serving.

How much one gives is personal and a gage of one's relationship with the Lord. If somebody is putting a couple of dollars in the plate, they need to think about how niggardly they are in holding back from God, how feeble is their trust in God, and how callous they are to the needs of the Church. Treating the offering plate like it's the Salvation Army donation bucket is wrong. But if somebody has difficulty budgeting food, mortgage, gas, bills, and even some extra for recreation and savings because of the amount they're giving to their church, they're giving too much, shouldering a burden that the Lord, in his kindness, never intended for them to bear. Each person has to find that sweet spot in the middle according to their individual abilities and resources.

SO STOP DEMANDING TEN PERCENT OF PEOPLE'S INCOME AND GUILTING THEM WHEN THEY DON'T PONY UP! Or you may find that the very Jesus you claim to do this for is tearing through your church, whip in hand, and overturning tables and destroying your money making apparatus. Jesus fights for the oppressed, so DON'T YOU DARE become the oppressor!

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
This Vale Of Tears said:
The issue of tithing is a thorny one, often because guilt is used as a cudgel to get people to tithe. I don't need to preach a sermon about how God wants a cheerful, willing giver, submitting all one has in obedience to him. You've already heard that sermon.

My problem is the tithe itself, taken completely out of the context in which the tithe was first instituted. Even going back before Moses and the Levitical law, Abraham gave a tenth of his wealth to Melchizedek, King of Salem, and type of Christ. So when the Israelites were instructed to tender their tithes, it was not a new concept to them. But was God really asking for a tenth of their income? Let me first say that...

TEN PERCENT IS A LOT OF MONEY! In fact it's too much, particularly for a family trying to make ends meet, a single mother, or many other people with limited disposable income. These people should be dismayed to know that their church has been lying to them because GOD NEVER ASKED FOR TEN PERCENT OF ANYONE'S INCOME!

That's right. Income is what people received after bringing their goods to market after the harvest or after selling their livestock. God asked for tithes in the form of the highest quality ten percent of that produce being set aside for the Levite tribe before bringing the rest to market, he didn't ask for 10% of their profits. This doesn't translate percent for percent to modern society when wealth isn't measured in bushels of wheat or flocks of sheep.

Jesus said to come to him all who are weary, for his yolk is light. Who dares to lay a heavy burden on people, like the Pharisees did, and not incur the same wrath of Christ visited upon the Pharisees?

And when I see mega churches with million dollar media display systems, acres of manicured landscaping, and fancy buildings, accommodations, and well paid staff, I might humbly suggest that it isn't the congregation that needs to pay more, it's the church that needs to make do with less. Demanding an unbiblical TEN PERCENT OF ONE'S INCOME is scandalously self serving.

How much one gives is personal and a gage of one's relationship with the Lord. If somebody is putting a couple of dollars in the plate, they need to think about how niggardly they are in holding back from God, how feeble is their trust in God, and how callous they are to the needs of the Church. Treating the offering plate like it's the Salvation Army donation bucket is wrong. But if somebody has difficulty budgeting food, mortgage, gas, bills, and even some extra for recreation and savings because of the amount they're giving to their church, they're giving too much, shouldering a burden that the Lord, in his kindness, never intended for them to bear. Each person has to find that sweet spot in the middle according to their individual abilities and resources.

SO STOP DEMANDING TEN PERCENT OF PEOPLE'S INCOME AND GUILTING THEM WHEN THEY DON'T PONY UP! Or you may find that the very Jesus you claim to do this for is tearing through your church, whip in hand, and overturning tables and destroying your money making apparatus. Jesus fights for the oppressed, so DON'T YOU DARE become the oppressor!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....don't but this either.....

Actually I'm getting the posts I expected...........

I agree 10% is a lot of money........and it was for me at first.....26 years ago.....but after I jumped in.......25 years ago........
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 10% is nothing

God always provides a way to even give more.....He always meets are needs.........He has always had the life He had for us in His hands.
But many.............just dance around the out skirts of God...........especially with their income.......

Plus......I've come to find out.........God can manage my money better than I can.

Hey................how much money did we spend on unGodly things before we came to know Christ......thoousaaaaaaaands $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And we can't even give 10%....after He has given us a hundred fold from which satan had stole from us.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
And that last statement of yours.............tells me more about you than I wanted to know actually :(
I haven't demanded nothing............but that's ok........

And one more thing.......................Tithing is not a burden...............it's a blessing.........especially for you....
But the way you have been taught......I doubt the blessings will ever manifest.

Heck God can have all my money..................sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!!!!!!!! His grace is sufficient for me :)

You will have to excuse me...........................BUT I HAVE BEEN DELIVERED FROM MUCH......SO I LOVE MUCH!

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
RANDOR said:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....don't but this either.....

Actually I'm getting the posts I expected...........

I agree 10% is a lot of money........and it was for me at first.....26 years ago.....but after I jumped in.......25 years ago........
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 10% is nothing

God always provides a way to even give more.....He always meets are needs.........He has always had the life He had for us in His hands.
But many.............just dance around the out skirts of God...........especially with their income.......

Plus......I've come to find out.........God can manage my money better than I can.

Hey................how much money did we spend on unGodly things before we came to know Christ......thoousaaaaaaaands $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And we can't even give 10%....after He has given us a hundred fold from which satan had stole from us.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
And that last statement of yours.............tells me more about you than I wanted to know actually :(
I haven't demanded nothing............but that's ok........

And one more thing.......................Tithing is not a burden...............it's a blessing.........especially for you....
But the way you have been taught......I doubt the blessings will ever manifest.

Heck God can have all my money..................sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!!!!!!!! His grace is sufficient for me :)

You will have to excuse me...........................BUT I HAVE BEEN DELIVERED FROM MUCH......SO I LOVE MUCH!
I see you bypassed my arguments, every one of them, in your inaptitude to address them intelligently. And then come back with bumper sticker slogans strewn about in sottish blocks of colored text.

Every point I made is correct, has validity, and can't be swept away by spirited eccentricity. Your "tithe" is unbiblical. You give what you feel is right and that is well and good. But you cross the line when you impose that on others, as if people are obligated to live up to your standards.

And if you can't address my arguments seriously then let me know lest I waste any more of your time or mine.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
You aint wastin my time..............but if the truth hurts.......then your time might be at jeopardy here.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....who would of thought tithing brings out the worst in people..... :blink:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Lets Dance... Feeling a little frisky tonight...........with all my new armor all polished and my sword sharpened ready to split some tongues :)

Let's see...........since ya don't believe in tithing......please tell us what else ya don't believe in..................

Actually............I don't care if ya tithe or not.................that was not the point of this thread...........

I love different colors of fonts......................and by the way...I think we need a wider variety of smiley faces. B)

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
South Point, Hawaii (Big Island)
Thank you folks for caring!

I thought RANDOR'S posts were lucid, coherent, to the point, and nimble for sure. However confession time; Awhile back when the what we call the LuLu Bowl came around to me, I actually sinfully wanted to take a 40 out due to low on money. Attitude of the heart in need of repentance.

Old repentant Jack

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
shturt678 said:
Thank you folks for caring!

I thought RANDOR'S posts were lucid, coherent, to the point, and nimble for sure. However confession time; Awhile back when the what we call the LuLu Bowl came around to me, I actually sinfully wanted to take a 40 out due to low on money. Attitude of the heart in need of repentance.

Old repentant Jack
Don't repent of being tempted and resisting it. James 4:7, resisting the devil means you're submitted to God. However, your situation is conducive to my point because you certainly weren't capable of doing so. Paying 10% of one's income is great when one can afford to do so, but to think oneself righteous or others less pious for not doing so is truly an "attitude of the heart in need of repentance." Anyone who is able to pay a full tithe without detriment to their budget should not consider themselves righteous, only blessed.

laid renard

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Arnie Manitoba said:
Ever notice when preacher types encourage you to tithe it is because they hope to receive the money

I once had a Pentecostal preacher try to tell me how important it was to give money to the church.

I was sitting in his church office so I pulled out my checkbook and wrote in a large amount.

He was all smiles until I pointed out it was made out to the church down the street

Boy was he ever pisssed

:lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!!!!

Goooooood one. B)

Two stories regarding tithing :

Years ago was attending church, and this was when I was tithing 20%, cheerfully mind you, for I love to give.

Anyhoo, before the sermon, we were all handed tickets as we entered the church. After the sermon the pastor reached into a bowl to draw out a ticket. The winner would win a new bicycle. I remember thinking that I would walk to church and a bike sure would help me. Maybe God was going to reward me.....
To my dismay, it was awarded to a family who was better off then me, and I couldn't help but feel a little used of my tithing money as they drove off with the bike in their very nice car.
I remember thinking, "So this is what my tithes are going for?" The church could have used that money to find out who was truly in need, such a s a widow who needed groceries etc.
Opened my eyes to tithing. That is not what I want my tithes used for. Not cause I didn't get the bike :lol: , but because it just seemed so frivolous.

Next story. And this was when I was not attending church, but still felt love in my heart to help others in need. So I felt the tugging of the Holy Spirit to save my usual 20%. It totaled $60. And since I wasn't attending church, I just had it in my purse, taking up space. The next night I am watching the news and see a story of a woman who had been jay walking and was struck and killed by a car. I remember seeing her purse laying on the street all by itself, and felt so sad......
The next day I went to work only to discover that the lady who had passed in the accident was my bosses daughter. There was a box in her office that the workers had placed with a slot in it. It was to start a collection to help pay for the burial costs. I got my 20% God had instructed me to set aside and quietly slipped it in the box.
If I had been attending a church that was unwise in their dealings with the congregation's tithes, I would never have been able to do that.

Reactions: lforrest