To church or not to church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would go one more and say..my life IN the Church is my church...we don't go "to" the church as we ARE the Church. God is our home, therefore my church.

No doubt we will hear howls from those who will call us heretics for not attending regular meetings. But, I no longer do.
Enough said.

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I would go one more and say..my life IN the Church is my church...we don't go "to" the church as we ARE the Church. God is our home, therefore my church.

No doubt we will hear howls from those who will call us heretics for not attending regular meetings. But, I no longer do.
Enough said.
Enough said.

Reactions: Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do still attend regularly, but I am waiting for my pastor's end. When he is gone (presuming he will predecease me), I know of no place that I will be able to join, although likely I will visit different places at times.

Reactions: Helen and Pisteuo

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do still attend regularly, but I am waiting for my pastor's end. When he is gone (presuming he will predecease me), I know of no place that I will be able to join, although likely I will visit different places at times.

If the Church you're at now doesn't work out after he is gone, then I say screw going to church altogether. Who needs it anyway? Churches are in such disarray these days that I don't think it would make that much of a difference if they didn't exist at all.

Reactions: Truth

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the Church you're at now doesn't work out after he is gone, then I say screw going to church altogether. Who needs it anyway? Churches are in such disarray these days that I don't think it would make that much of a difference if they didn't exist at all.
When I go to a church assembly now it is to share what I can with someone who is hungry. Most places would not allow me to speak from the pulpit because of their own order but there are exceptions, and sometimes there are hungry individuals who God will bring to me even if the pulpit is closed. It did this a lot once, but since coming to my present assembly about 10 years ago, I have been too busy. Already the work decreases and the old guy at 92 is failing. It is not so much his physical age that is killing him as it is the knives of the people he has always loved stabbing him it is not only in the back... Lord help us all.

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
It is not so much his physical age that is killing him as it is the knives of the people he has always loved stabbing him it is not only in the back... Lord help us all.

Truly sorry to hear that Amadeus. But alas, I have seen it too many times.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truly sorry to hear that Amadeus. But alas, I have seen it too many times.
I can wish it were better, but the truth is that he, my old pastor, is too much like Jesus. Thousands thronged Jesus and one said, "man never spake like this man", but then where were the thousands when he was accused falsely before Pilate? Who was that called out to release Barabbas and to crucify Jesus?

To my pastor although he has not given up completely the truth I see is that his natural death will be a blessing to him. I still wish that it were not so. I continue to pray, but I have to pray for this situation in tongues, because my own flesh would prevent me from praying as I should.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That is a stupid statement.

Yes, we the believers are the Church. But we the believers need to meet and worship God and Christ together at times. You don't have to belong to a main denomination. You can meet anywhere; in your homes. But it is important for believers to meet. The Holy Ghost is present, the gifts of the Spirit are functioning amongst the believers.

Stranger

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a stupid statement.

Yes, we the believers are the Church. But we the believers need to meet and worship God and Christ together at times. You don't have to belong to a main denomination. You can meet anywhere; in your homes. But it is important for believers to meet. The Holy Ghost is present, the gifts of the Spirit are functioning amongst the believers.

Stranger

Yes, we are technically supposed to congregate in developing a relationship with God, but looking at the state of churches and how divided they are even on the most plainly stated, most basic doctrine, it really makes me wonder if I should be taking any of them seriously at all. You see, my church is non-denominational, because our doctrine is simple, you either believe the Bible and everything that is written from start to finish or you don't (yes, I belong to a church). The way churches are now is a FAR, FAR cry from what it was in its inception during Paul and Peters time. After my own experience with what my church has been through over the last two years, no one will ever convince me that what I have stated about the churches are stupid. The churches at large are definitely not what God meant for them to be, and much of the blame can be put squarely on the lack of dedication, the luke warmness of the church members themselves, the so called "body of Christ". Most people only go to church because they see it as a sort of social club. They show their true colors as soon as they step out the freaking door. The vast majority won't even bother opening a Bible on their own spare time, because God is far down the list of importance for them, which is why most of them can't even answer basic questions concerning the faith they claim to have.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zechariah 8:23- thus says the Lord of Hosts; In those days, 10 men from every nation will take hold of the Garment of a Jew, and say let us go with you, for we know that God is with You!
Jeremiah 17:19-21 - O lord my strength and my fortress; My refuge in the day of affliction, The Gentiles shall come to you From the ends of the Earth and Say, Surly our fathers have Inherited Lie's, Worthlessness and unprofitable things." 20 - Will a man make gods for himself, Which are not gods?- Therefore behold, I [God] will this once cause them to know, My hand and My might; And they shall know that My Name is?
I do not believe that any Church is giving Us the wholeness of understanding! Consider this the Apostles were commanded to go and teach what our Savior taught them! Right! and they were to go and do what our Savior did! Right! The book of Acts shows us that they were doing what they were Instructed to do! Right! Mathew 5: 17 is where Our Savoir began to Teach them, first the Beatitudes, Read 5: 1, He saw the multitudes, then went up on the Mountain, Right! AND HIS Disciples came to Him, Then He Opened His Mouth and TAUGHT THEM! are we doing what He taught! I have found more Truth outside of Church

Reactions: bbyrd009

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This is true, that it's scary.

Reactions: Truth

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I can wish it were better, but the truth is that he, my old pastor, is too much like Jesus. Thousands thronged Jesus and one said, "man never spake like this man", but then where were the thousands when he was accused falsely before Pilate? Who was that called out to release Barabbas and to crucify Jesus?

To my pastor although he has not given up completely the truth I see is that his natural death will be a blessing to him. I still wish that it were not so. I continue to pray, but I have to pray for this situation in tongues, because my own flesh would prevent me from praying as I should.
Like golden needles in a hay stack, very hard to find

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, we are technically supposed to congregate in developing a relationship with God, but looking at the state of churches and how divided they are even on the most plainly stated, most basic doctrine, it really makes me wonder if I should be taking any of them seriously at all. You see, my church is non-denominational, because our doctrine is simple, you either believe the Bible and everything that is written from start to finish or you don't (yes, I belong to a church). The way churches are now is a FAR, FAR cry from what it was in its inception during Paul and Peters time. After my own experience with what my church has been through over the last two years, no one will ever convince me that what I have stated about the churches are stupid. The churches at large are definitely not what God meant for them to be, and much of the blame can be put squarely on the lack of dedication, the luke warmness of the church members themselves, the so called "body of Christ". Most people only go to church because they see it as a sort of social club. They show their true colors as soon as they step out the freaking door. The vast majority won't even bother opening a Bible on their own spare time, because God is far down the list of importance for them, which is why most of them can't even answer basic questions concerning the faith they claim to have.

What you say about many churches, especially those of old denominations, is true. And at times, due to their incorrect doctrine or heresy, it is time for the believer to leave. When I said you made a stupid statement, it was your statement that you should not go to church altogether, where you made no distinction.

I believe that the church, by which I define here as a group of believers meeting together to worship God and Christ and fellowship with one another on a regular basis, is not only a place of worship but a battleground also. Why? (Eph. 6:12-18) We should not think that satan will leave such a gathering alone. Slowly he will bring his people in. Slowly he will chip away at sound doctrine. Slowly people are led to believe false doctrine. Slowly the believers spiritual life will decline affecting the whole body.

That satan will attempt this with every body of believers is true. That he will always be successful is not. Spiritual men in places of authority and a statement of faith are important to maintain a body of Christians. The statement of faith must be precise. We believe these things. If one does not believe these things then they are not welcome to join. Spiritual men in authority must be willing to exercise discipline and order in the meetings.

The war will never cease till Christ returns. We as believers must expect it.

Stranger

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The Holy Ghost is present, the gifts of the Spirit are functioning amongst the believers.
i would say at least contemplate whether that is not actually strictly a perception born of a desire to be considered special, wadr. The Spirit is present, and the gifts of the Spirit, too, are surely functioning amongst those who might not be considered "believers" at all to you.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Yes, we are technically supposed to congregate in developing a relationship with God, but looking at the state of churches and how divided they are even on the most plainly stated, most basic doctrine, it really makes me wonder if I should be taking any of them seriously at all.
ha, taking? You are obviously ready to be giving now, imo. bam completely ignore their msg if it suits you