''...to fetch...''

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duane Clinton Meehan

Nov 18, 2019
Lebanon, KY
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Seems like an illogical location to expect to find water.
Good point! I never ever thought of that, i.e., water possibly not being on a hillside. I have had and do have a spring on a hillside...
''...to expect to find water..." , an interesting initial description of what is going on in the sentence. Yes. I have always presumed they were on their way to a known source of water... perhaps the hill has to be part of the scenario because of what the writer knew was going to happen to Jack in future...

Duane Clinton Meehan

Nov 18, 2019
Lebanon, KY
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
So, the presumption is that were searching for water in an essentially dangerous environ...
To make the verse as simple as we can I would edit it to read ''Jack and Jill went up the hill to get...'', which is plain and simple; 'to fetch' is far more complex and opens many contingencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Duane Clinton Meehan

Nov 18, 2019
Lebanon, KY
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Another INANE thread from DCM.

Merriam-Webster
inane

\ i-ˈnān \
inaner; inanest
1: lacking significance, meaning, or point : SILLY
2: EMPTY, INSUBSTANTIAL
Am going somewhere with this as an exercise in simple language. This calls for infinite patience and, it will be fine for bullying members, who can only ever stupidly do personal attack and disparagement, to leave it alone, and take their endless hostility elsewhere because, it is a total downer.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Duane Clinton Meehan

Nov 18, 2019
Lebanon, KY
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
it was interesting, yes, except there is no "rest of the story" like in most nursery rhymes as i guess no one knows for sure what it is
Yes, I read the article twice and learned a lot. I first encountered it in a first grade reader for little ones learning reading; it is literature for a child and/or minimally literate others.

Reactions: Nancy

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, the presumption is that were searching for water in an essentially dangerous environ...
To make the verse as simple as we can I would edit it to read ''Jack and Jill went up the hill to get...'', which is plain and simple; 'to fetch' is far more complex and opens many contingencies.
But, why confuse the delivery of the prose if your intent is to convey a known specificity? (THE understood and identifiable hill)

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While we are on the subject of these Nursery Rhymes being written expressly for children.... Have you noticed how many of them promote a theme of either or both violence and fear? (There's a Biblical parallel I'm driving at here.)

Reactions: bbyrd009

Duane Clinton Meehan

Nov 18, 2019
Lebanon, KY
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
But, why confuse the delivery of the prose if your intent is to convey a known specificity? (THE understood and identifiable hill)
I am intending to unwrap all that is mentally involved in the process of fetching or getting something, and think it simplifies things to say we want to get a particular intended objective rather than fetch our goal, in order to reduce any possible confusion and to entirely dispense with burdensome existentialist terminology.

I have chosen the simplest possible ordinary language vehicle, Jack and Jill, in order to boil considerations down to the bone and, permit all persons the opportunity to see what is involved in doing a human act, in plain English.

I am not at all concerned with the hill here.

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am intending to unwrap all that is mentally involved in the process of fetching or getting something, and think it simplifies things to say we want to get a particular intended objective rather than fetch our goal, in order to reduce any possible confusion and to entirely dispense with burdensome existentialist terminology.

I have chosen the simplest of possible language vehicles, Jack and Jill, in order to boil considerations down to the bone and, permit all persons the opportunity to see what is involved in doing a human act, in plain English.

I am not at all concerned with the hill here.
But, you are the narrator, telling a tale to others. You are not just reporting on the news of the day.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Num 20:10 And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, and he said unto them, Hear now, ye rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock?

even more sillier place to find water

Reactions: amadeus