To the glory of God!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doctrine of St. Francis of Sales upon Devotion to Mary.

HOLY Church, speaking of the most Blessed Virgin, says that she went up from the desert of
this world flowing with delights, leaning upon her Beloved. In fact, all the praises bestowed upon
the Saints, and upon Mary in particular, terminate in Christ our Lord ; because all these praises should be directed to the glory of her Divine Son, Who led her by His grace to the most exalted
degree of merit and happiness.
It is related in Scripture that the Queen of Saba, taking a multitude of gifts to Jerusalem, offered themalltoSolomon. ItisthusthatalltheSaints
act and the Mother of God especially. She is ever attentive to recognise that her virtues, her
perfections, her merits, and her happiness proceed from the mercy of her Divine Son, Who is alone
their source, their origin, and perfection : Soli Deo honor et gloria. All honour and ^lory to God alone ; all should return to Him, because from
Him alone is every perfect gift.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 4:7
...and what hast thou that thou didst not receive?

Jn 1:16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to honor Mary is to dishonor God!

Lk 1:48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salve Regina

HAIL, holy Queen, Mother of mercy.
Hail, our life, our sweetness, and our hope!
To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve;
To thee do we send up our sighs,
mourning and weeping in this vale of tears.
Turn then, most gracious advocate,
thine eyes of mercy toward us.
And after this our exile show unto us
the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.
V. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God.
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray.

ALMIGHTY, everlasting God, Who, by the co-operation of the Holy Ghost,
didst so make ready the body and soul of the glorious virgin Mother Mary
that she deserved to become a meet dwelling for Thy Son:
grant that we, who rejoice in her memory, may by her loving intercession
be delivered from the evils that hang over us, and from everlasting death.

Through the same Christ our Lord
R. Amen.
V. May the Divine assistance remain always with us.
R. Amen.

Mary Is Our Life:
She Obtains Pardon for Our Sins

JUST as the soul gives life to the body, so grace gives life to the soul. And so our Lady, obtaining grace for sinners through her intercession, brings back life to their souls.

They who find me find life, and win favor from the Lord (Prv. 8:35). All you who hunger for the Kingdom of God, honor the most Blessed Virgin Mary and you will find life and eternal salvation. 12

St. Bernardine of Siena says that the reason why God did not destroy the human race after the first sin was His singular love for this holy Virgin, who was eventually to be born of the race.

Indeed, he says, all the mercies granted under the old dispensation were no doubt granted only in consideration of this most Blessed Lady.

In the Song of Songs (6: 10) Mary is called the dawn: Who is she that comes forth as the dawn? Dawn is the end of night and the beginning of day; the Blessed Virgin is the dawn of day, because she is the end of vice. 13

When devotion to Mary begins in anyone, it produces the same effect that our Lady's birth produces in the world: it ends the night of sin and leads a person along the bright path of virtue.

St. Germanus once said in a sermon that to pronounce the name of Mary with affection is a sign of life in the soul, or at least a sign that life will soon return there.

Do not be afraid (Bernardine de Bustis encourages every sinner), even if you are guilty of every crime possible. Go with trust to this most glorious Lady.

You will find her hands filled with mercy and bounty. She longs to do you good much more than you could ever long to receive good from her.

No sinner who turns to this compassionate Lady should ever be afraid of being spurned --- she is the very Mother of Mercy and, because she is, it is her ambition to save the most miserable of all.

Mary is the ark which saves from eternal destruction anyone who takes shelter in it. 14

In the great Deluge even beasts were saved in Noah's ark. Under the shelter of Mary even sinners are saved.

St. Gertrude once had a vision of Mary with her mantle spread out wide, and under its folds were many wild beasts. And she noticed that Mary did more than just accept the beasts; she welcomed them and caressed them with the most delicate tenderness.

Then let us go to this Ark; let us take cover under Mary's mantle. Surely she will do more than merely receive us; surely she will welcome us and secure our eternal salvation.

Mary Is the Hope of All

PEOPLE outside the Church cannot endure our calling Mary our hope. They say that God alone is our hope, and that He curses those who put their trust in creatures, according to the prophet Jeremiah: Cursed is the person who trusts in human beings (Jer. 17:5).

Mary, they argue, is a creature, and how can a creature be our hope? But in spite of this the Church recommends that all priests and religious raise their voices every day in the name of all the faithful and call Mary by the sweet name of "Our Hope" --- the hope of all.

St. Thomas says that we can place our hope in a person in two ways --- as a principal cause and as a mediate cause. Thus those who expect something from a king put their trust in him as their sovereign, and in his ministers or his favorite as intercessors.

When the favor is granted, it comes really from the king, though the favorite is the intermediary. Hence the petitioners have a right to call the minister or favorite through whom they received it their "hope."

The King of Heaven, being infinite Goodness, desires in the highest degree to enrich us with His graces. But because confidence is a necessary condition for being heard, and because He wants to increase our confidence, He has given us His own Mother as our Mother and intercessor, and has granted her all power to help us. So it is that He wishes us to place our hope for salvation and every blessing in her.

Those who put their hope in creatures alone, apart from God, as sinners do, and who do not hesitate to outrage the Divine Majesty, just to gain the friendship and patronage of another human being, are certainly cursed by God in the sense intended by Jeremiah.

But those who put their trust in Mary, who (being the Mother of God) is able to secure grace and eternal life for them, are truly blessed and acceptable to the heart of God. Surely He desires to see this greatest of His creatures honored, since she loved and honored Him in this world more than all human beings and angels together .

Therefore it is perfectly reasonable to call the Blessed Virgin our hope. We trust, as St. Robert Bellarmine says, that we shall obtain through her intercession the graces we would not obtain through our own unaided prayers.

We pray to her so that the dignity of the intercessor may make up for our own lack of worthiness. And so our recourse to Mary in such a spirit does not come from any want of confidence in the mercy of God, but rather from fear of our own unworthiness.18

"Hail then, O hope of my soul!" exclaims St. Ephrem; "Hail, O sure salvation of Christians; hail, helper of sinners; hail, fortress of the faithful and salvation of the world!"

St. Ephrem, reflecting on the present arrangement of Providence, by which God wills that all who are saved should be saved by the instrumentality of Mary, addresses her in these words: "O Lady, never cease watching over us. Keep and guard us under your wings of mercy, for, after God, we have no hope but in you."

St. Thomas of Villanova calls her our only refuge, help, and asylum.

St. Bernard expounds the reason behind this when he says: "See the designs of God --- designs which make it possible for Him to dispense His mercy more abundantly. For, desiring to save the whole human race, He has laid the full price of redemption in Mary's hands, letting her dispense it at her pleasure."

Hence we need not be surprised if St. Antonine applies to Mary this verse of the Book of Wisdom (8: 11): All good things together came to me in her company. And St. Bonaventure writes: "We ought to keep our eyes fixed on Mary's hands, that through them we may receive the graces we desire."

"Poor children of Adam," says our Lord, addressing the world, "living among so many enemies, so many trials, take care to honor My Mother in a special way. She is also your Mother .

"I have given her to the world to be its pattern, to teach you how to lead good lives, and to be your refuge in all trials and afflictions. I have made My Daughter with such care that no one could be afraid of her or in the least degree repelled.

"So I gave her such a kind and compassionate disposition that she does not know how to despise anyone who runs to her, nor how to refuse her favor to anyone who asks. The mantle of her mercy is spread for all, and she lets no one leave her feet without consolation."19

Praise and benediction to the infinite goodness of God, because He gave us a Mother and advocate so strong, so tender, so loving!

How touching are the sentiments of confidence expressed by the enamored St. Bonaventure toward Jesus our most loving Redeemer and Mary our most loving advocate!

"Whatever lot God foresees for me, I know He can never go against His own nature and refuse Himself to any who love Him and seek for Him with all their heart.

So I will cleave to Him with my love; and if He does not bless me, I will still cling to Him so passionately that He will not be able to move away without me.

"I will hide in the clefts of His wounds, so that if He looks for me it will be within Himself that He must find me. I will stay prostrate before the feet of His Mother that she may implore pardon for me.

"For Mary does not know how to refuse compassion. She has never learned how to let the comfortless go away uncomforted. And so, if not from any sense of justice or obligation, at least from her great sense of compasson she will persuade her Son to pardon me."

Mary Is the Hope of Sinners

GOD made the two great lights: the greater light to govern the day, and the lesser light to rule the night (Gn. 1: 16). Christ is the greater light to rule the just, and Mary is the lesser light to rule sinners. 20

Since Mary is this auspicious light, created for poor sinners, what should people do if they find themselves in the darkness of sin? Let them cast their eyes on the moon. Let them pray to Mary. 21

One of the most comforting titles of our Lady --- and one which the Church teaches us to use in the Litany of Loretto --- is that of "Refuge of Sinners."

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the most comforting titles of our Lady --- and one which the Church teaches us to use in the Litany of Loretto --- is that of "Refuge of Sinners."

In Judea in ancient times there were cities of refuge where criminals fled to escape punishment. Nowadays such cities do not exist; there is only one, and that is Mary, of whom the Psalmist sings: "Glorious things are said of you, O city of God" (Ps. 87:3).

However, there is one difference. In the old cities of refuge protection was not extended to every class of crime. But under Mary's mantle all sinners without exception find refuge for every sin they have committed, if only they go there to seek this protection.

We may even say with St. Basil that God has given us Mary as a public infirmary to receive the sick, the poor, the destitute. But in hospitals which are erected expressly for the poor, who have the first claim to admission? Surely those who are sicker than others.

Say then, with St. Thomas of Villanova, "O Mary, we poor sinners know no other refuge but you; you are our only patroness, and we all look to you!"

In the revelations of St. Bridget, Mary is called the "Star that rises before the Sun."
When a soul in sin begins to show signs of devotion to Mary, it is a clear indication that before very long God will enrich it with His grace.

The glorious St. Bonaventure, to build up the confidence of sinners in our Lady's protection, calls up before them the picture of a storm at sea. Sinners have fallen into it from the ship of God's grace. They are tossed about by remorse and the dread of God's judgments. They have no light, no mark to guide them, and are on the point of despair.

Then our Lord, pointing out Mary to them, the Star of the Sea, raises His voice and says: "Poor lost sinners, do not despair. Lift your eyes to this star of beauty. Breathe freely again, for this Star will save you out of the storm and bring you at last to the harbor of salvation."

In another work the same Saint remarks how Isaiah complained of the times in which he lived: "Behold, You are angry, and we are sinful; there is none who rises up to cling to You" (Is 64:4, 7).

Then he comments: "It is true, O Lord, that in those days there was no one to raise up sinners and hold back Your wrath, for Mary was not born yet . . . But now she restrains her Divine Son, lest He destroy sInners . . .

"There is no one more capable of seizing and holding the sword of God's vengeance than you, Most Beloved of God!"

The Blessed Virgin herself revealed to St. Bridget that there is no sinner in the world, however far from God, who does not come back to Him and recover grace, if such a sinner has recourse to her assistance.

And one day St. Bridget heard Jesus speaking to His Mother in these words: "You would offer mercy even to Lucifer, if he humbled himself to ask for it." That proud spirit will never humble himself to that degree. But, if such a thing were possible, Mary would show instant compassion, and her prayers would have sufficient power to obtain his forgiveness and salvation.

In Sacred Scripture we read that Boaz allowed Ruth to gather the ears of grain after the reapers
(Ru 2:3). Mary, like Ruth, having found favor with her Lord, is likewise allowed to gather the ears of grain after the reapers --- i.e., after all the evangelical laborers, missionaries, preachers, and confessors, who are constantly reaping souls for God.

However, there are some hardened and rebellious souls who are abandoned even by these. Mary alone has the special privilege of saving them by her powerful intercession. 22

It was with good reason therefore, my most sweet Queen, that St. John Damascene saluted you as the "hope of those who have no hope." St. Lawrence Justinian called you "the hope of the condemned," and St. Ephrem called you "the protectress of the damned."

St. Bernard, full of joy and tenderness, exclaimed: "O Lady, who can lack confidence in you, since you help even those who are in despair? And I have not the least doubt that, whenever we run to you, we shall obtain all we desire. Let those then who have no hope, hope in you."

Lady, Ravisher of hearts! ravish my poor heart that really longs to love thee. Mother, thou didst beguile God Himself with thy beauty and drew Him down from Heaven into thy chaste womb; and shall I go on without loving thee?

I will join with one of thine most loving sons, St. John Berchmans; I will say with him: "I will never rest until I am sure I have mastered love for thee --- a constant and tender love for thee, my Mother."

What would I be now, O Mary, if thou hadst not secured so many mercies for me? Since thou didst persist in loving me when I had no love for thee, there is so much I can expect from thee, now that I do love thee.

I love thee, my Mother. And I wish I had a heart to make up for all those unhappy creatures who do not love thee. I wish I could speak with a thousand tongues, so that all the world might learn about thy greatness, and holiness, and mercy, and the love thou hast for all who love thee.

If I were rich, I would use my riches for thy honor. If I had subjects, I would make them all love thee. And, if the occasion ever came, I would lay down my life for thy glory.

And so I love thee, my Mother. But I cannot help feeling that I do not love thee as I should: I hear that love makes a lover resemble the beloved. And if I find myself so different from thee, that means that I do not really love thee.

Thou art pure; I am darkened with sin. Thou art humble; I am proud. Thou art holy, and I am sinful. This then is what thou hast to do, O Mary: since thou doth love me, make me resemble thee.

Thou hast the power to change hearts; take mine and change it. Show the world what thou canst do for anyone who loves thee. Make me holy; make me a child worthy of his Mother. Amen. So I hope. So may it be.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In order to show more clearly the purity of the honor which holy Church pays to the most Blessed Virgin, I will mention two contrary heresies, both equally injurious to the veneration deservedly due to Our Lady, One you of the heresies sinned by excess:
calling Mary the Goddess of Heaven, and offering sacrifices to her as such ; the other sinned by default, condemning all honour paid to Her.

The Church, who walks in the royal
road of moderation, in which virtue consists, condemned both these heresies, defining against the
former that no worship, sacrifice, or adoration whatever could be offered to Mary, as she was a pure creature ; and against the latter, that this holy Virgin, being Mother of God the Son, was worthy of special worship, infinitely less than that of her Son, but incomparably
greater than that of all the other Saints. To the first, she says, that the Virgin is simply a creature, yet so holy, so perfect, so closely united to her Son, and so much loved by God, as to render it impossible to love the Son sincerely without loving and honouring the Mother. To the second, she
says, sacrifice is the supreme worship of latria, due to the Creator alone, and the Blessed Virgin is simply a creature, although most excellent. In deed, in speaking of Mary, I call her more the creature of God and of her Son than the rest of creation ; because God created greater perfections in her than in all other creatures, and she had a greater share in the Redemption than all others, being rescued not only from sin but from the power and inclination to sin. And who does not know that it is a greater benefit to rescue a person from slavery before he is made a slave, than to deliver
him after he has become captive ! How far are we then from placing the Son and the Mother on an equality, as our adversaries falsely assert ?
It is true that we call her beautiful, and the most beautiful amongst creatures ; but she is beautyful as the moon, which receives its light from the sun ; because all her glory is communicated to her by her Son. Of herself alone, she is certainly unworthy of our worship, for she is not God. But when the great sign of reconciliation between God and men came and rested upon this holy Virgin by His grace in her Immaculate Conception, and after wards at the Incarnation, when God became her Son, and reposed in her immaculate bosom then, indeed, so great became the fragrance of this
Virgin that no other plant ever could produce before God so sweet and pleasing an odour. Nor will He ever reject the prayers that are perfumed
in this fragrance. We repeat that all this perfume came to her from her Divine Son. Jesus Christ is our Advocate, and so is Mary; but with this difference!
In right of justice, the Saviour is alone our Advocate, because when He pleads our cause He justifies His petition by show
ing His Blood and His Cross. And Mary by Her prayers intercedes with Her beloved Son on our behalf!