Tongues of fire?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

What is signified by these tongues of fire?

what is significant about the speaking in tongues? (foreign languages)

why don’t charismaniacs sorry I mean Charismatics have these tongues of fire?

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Global Pentecostalism was sparked by the Azusa Street revival of 1908, which in turn was a continuation of the unprecedented Welsh revival of 1904-1906. In the Azusa street revival outsiders saw flames bursting from the building and even called fire departments to extinguish them! But those flames were in fact the fire of the Holy Spirit! When I was filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues at age 16 in a darkening amphitheater by a lake in rural Manitoba, spectators sat in awe because they later reported that my face was glowing with the glory of God in the darkened amphitheater. That glossolalic experience was the highlight of my life and I am constantly nourished by the very memory of the fire of God that fell on me with wave after wave of liquid love, each wave more intense than the last!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Global Pentecostalism was sparked by the Azusa Street revival of 1908, which in turn was a continuation of the unprecedented Welsh revival of 1904-1906. In the Azusa street revival outsiders saw flames bursting from the building and even called fire departments to extinguish them! But those flames were in fact the fire of the Holy Spirit! When I was filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues at age 16 in a darkening amphitheater by a lake in rural Manitoba, spectators sat in awe because they later reported that my face was glowing with the glory of God in the darkened amphitheater. That glossolalic experience was the highlight of my life and I am constantly nourished by the very memory of the fire of God that fell on me with wave after wave of liquid love, each wave more intense than the last!

i don’t think so! More fundamentalist nonsense like so called reformation and so called great awakening

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In typical Catholic fashion you simply deny powerful eyewitness testimony of outpourings of God's power because this testimony threatens the relative impoverishment of your own limited spiritual experience. I'm grateful that other Catholic site members are not as spiritually bigoted and myopic as you are!

Reactions: Brakelite and Nancy

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Acts 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

First correction. They were NOT tongues of fire. They were LIKE tongues of fire.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
i don’t think so! More fundamentalist nonsense like so called reformation and so called great awakening

I am amazed how people that were not there know more about an experience than those that were there.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
some say Azusa was a sex orgy have you heard this

The Protestant League used to meet regularly in the church of my youth. As a boy, I once asked their leader what they talked about in their meetings. He replied, "Oh, we talk about all the sex orgies in Catholic convents." HAVE YOU HEARD THIS? I don't believe it. do you? At Azusa St/ the upstairs section was full of the crutches of the cripples who were instantly healed there. Eyewitness testimony recorded the blind seeing and the lame walking. God will hold you accountable for your bigoted dismissal of His wondrous work!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
some say Azusa was a sex orgy have you heard this
Why would you spread something like that as if it should be seriously considered. There are devils indeed, but let them spread their own stories. I do not believe that you are a devil...

"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment." Matt 12:36

Have you read what they said about Jesus?

"But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils." Matt 12:24

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In typical Catholic fashion you simply deny powerful eyewitness testimony of outpourings of God's power because this testimony threatens the relative impoverishment of your own limited spiritual experience. I'm grateful that other Catholic site members are not as spiritually bigoted and myopic as you are!

Yes, a "form" of religion but denying the power thereof.....I would NEVER limit God or say that someone didn't experience something "physical"...can't see the spiritual with our human eyes. Also agree that tongues are an actual language and get flak for that. NOT saying they do not experience these things but, I don't seek "experiences", I seek His heart, Amen.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Protestant League used to meet regularly in the church of my youth. As a boy, I once asked their leader what they talked about in their meetings. He replied, "Oh, we talk about all the sex orgies in Catholic convents." HAVE YOU HEARD THIS? I don't believe it. do you? At Azusa St/ the upstairs section was full of the crutches of the cripples who were instantly healed there. Eyewitness testimony recorded the blind seeing and the lame walking. God will hold you accountable for your bigoted dismissal of His wondrous work!

no I don’t believe it about either one but I also don’t believe in Protestant miracles

you want real documented medical miracles take a look at Lourdes in france

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
no I don’t believe it about either one but I also don’t believe in Protestant miracles

ok
Now explain them

Why? That is what it said in scripture so if you have a problem with that it is for you to sort it out.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

There is no such thing as protestant miracles. Miracle are miracles regardless of who is involved. Catholics believe in miracles because you can't be a saint unless you have performed two miracles.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Theefaith or should that be lack of faith has forgot one little thing and that is catholics believe in miracles as you can't be a saint unless you have performed two miracles.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why? That is what it said in scripture so if you have a problem with that it is for you to sort it out.

there’s no Azusa or Protestant reformation or great awakening or revival or tent camp meeting or Sunday school in scripture

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The tongues of fire represent the light of truth and the love of God!

the tongues (foreign languages) are the lands each apostle would take the gospel

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

After Pentecost Paul laid hands on believers to receive the Holy Spirit and they did, and spoke with tongues - no fire.

So there was no fire even during Paul’s time, after Pentecost, when they got the gift of the Holy Spirit and tongues.

Act 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

Act 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Act 19:7 And all the men were about twelve.

BTW Paul told the church at Corinth, he didn’t want them to come behind in any CHARISMA (gift), while they awaited the coming of Jesus.

1Co 1:7 So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ:

The word gift is charisma - you know, charisma, the word charismania - oops, you meant charismatic - comes from.

All spiritual gifts only end when Jesus comes.