Top 5 Churches That Use Social Media Best - CP tech & biz

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Top 5 Churches That Use Social Media Best
By Alex Murashko - CP Reporter
Being successful online is not easy, says Biola University's director of innovation, Dave Bourgeois. When it comes to churches, having at least a minimal digital strategy has become crucial in expanding Christian outreach even locally within their own communities.
http://global.christianpost.com/news/top-5-churches-that-use-social-media-best-97492/

Reactions: djchuang

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is an article I like. ;)

I'd have to put LifeChurch.tv at the top of the list. They've really shown how churches can collaborate AND how they can use the internet to reach people. All five are excellent examples of redeeming the use of the internet for glorifying God. What they've done with YouVersion, which is just about 100 million downloads now, is completely amazing.

Just here

May 29, 2013
I was expecting to see Mars Hill listed and was not disappointed. He attracts 20 somethings which is the perfect generation for social networking and media. He has 8 churches set up in the area and they all see the same broadcast via pre-recordings. Even though he reaches millions of people, a Calvanist or not, it's so large, it's difficult to have a sense of community when all of the teaching, fellowship is on-line. Although, I know it's not the point of the article, it is a huge downside.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
So true in their point that people tend to share images more than they do text messages. A powerful message within an image is the key to the gospel message shared through on-line social media networks. ;)

Blessings!!!

djchuang

Jun 25, 2013
Orange County, California
djchuang.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HammerStone said:
This is an article I like. ;)

I'd have to put LifeChurch.tv at the top of the list. ...
Good to see some discussion around that article. As compiler of that list, you'll note in the introductory remarks that the list is shown "In no particular order"

Each of those 5 churches are doing things with social media technologies beyond the ordinary, and I'm eager to see more in the days to come from other churches being inspired to unleash more of their gifts, talents, and creativity.

dj

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi dj!
I thought I recognized your name! :) nice to have you join us here @ CyB. I think I'm following you on Twitter...I'm sure that HS [the admin] would love to chat with you about it...

Glad to have you here and be blessed!

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I have been in the computer biz for longer than a good portion of the members here have been alive (my first personal computer was a Tandy CoCo II with a tape drive way back in 1983) and I have been a hardware IT manager for the past 15 years. I've also been around the block a few times on the interwebs (ytmnd, 4chan, fidonet, TAG BBS and many other arcane and now obscure references).

All that said, new media (social and otherwise) along with traditional media, has never been a good fit with either the traditional Gospel preaching or the neighborhood church in general. What I mean is this, having grown up in small community based churches it has always been akin to pulling teeth to get anyone excited to adopt "technology" be it overhead projectors in the 1980s, instruments other than an organ (like the Britson D103 LRT) or piano, and now multimedia with sound and video.

I have visited many a "mega-church" in my travels and I usually come away with the impression that a large majority of folks are there to be seen there. Don't get me wrong, in every small town in the U.S. there is a church where you go to be "seen", but it seems magnified in a congregation that can exceed 5 or even 6 figures. In that venue, a sophisticated web presence is expected, but when I break down the sites they are the same on many fronts.

All contain almost the same exact main menu choices; a doctrinal statement, times and places to meet for worship and otherwise, access to online sermons, and a place to make a donation. Every church I've attended as a member has had those choices as well (and I've set up a few of those sites in my life as well - http://bit.ly/127BMlX )

Graphics and sound and other things may "one up" some of the competition, but in the end, the web presence is there to support the ministry, as it should be. From the small 100 person congregations to the mega-churches, there isn't so much different in their basic framework, just flashier window dressing. Good content "should" beat great graphics 100% of the time. But it doesn't :(

djchuang

Jun 25, 2013
Orange County, California
djchuang.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Angelina! Thanks for the welcome, good to be here. Would enjoy connection with HS, drop me a line via djchuang.com/contact

Angelina said:
I thought I recognized your name! :) nice to have you join us here @ CyB. I think I'm following you on Twitter...I'm sure that HS [the admin] would love to chat with you about it...