Top Free Desktop/Laptop Software Suggestions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

T

TravisT

Antivirus
Bitdefender
http://www.bitdefender.com.au/solutions/free.html

Spyware Removal
Malwarebytes
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

Browsers
Firefox
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Others:
Chrome
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/

Opera
http://www.opera.com/

Calendars
Google (my favorite online calendar)
UK Kalender (yes with a K and E instead of a C and A) - nice desktop calendar program
http://www.ukrebs-software.de/

Backup
Aomei
http://www.backup-utility.com/download.html

Notepad Replacement
Notepad ++
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.8.6.html

Uninstaller
Geek
http://www.geekuninstaller.com/download

Password Manager
Lastpass
https://lastpass.com

This is just a start - I will add and edit along the way.

This will be pinned.

Reactions: lforrest

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Most IPSs, in Canada anyway, provide AV or AM software.

I've always liked Bitdefender, but my fave has always been Trend Micro. I use Norton on my tablet now as it's provided by my ISP.

Windows 10 now has Windows Defender, and although it seems to work well, the icon always disappears from the system tray so I don't know if it is active unless I get open it when I notice the icon isn't there.

I tried Lastpass...didn't like it.

I use most things Google on my tablet now. I've used Outlook for years, but don't use my PC as much anymore so I prefer the Google Calendar and Gmail on my tablet. Except Chrome. Don't like Chrome on my tablet OR PC.

T

TravisT

Stan - there is a simple registry tweak that you can do in order to get the icon to show up for Windows Defender.

If you want it let me know.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Administrator said:
Stan - there is a simple registry tweak that you can do in order to get the icon to show up for Windows Defender.

If you want it let me know.
Sure, please email it to me. I don't know why it disappears all the time but I'm going to assume it's the same reason that the clock and date format always change in the system tray as well...Microsoft updates!

Thanks

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot of this software I would not use (nor would it work) since my desktop computers and laptop here don't even have a registry file; they also run fast. They never need a "tune-up"; something I'm not even experiencing the last few years.

My iphone (my only Apple device-- my computers are not Apple) has astronomical/weather related software on it, as does all my computers. I feel sorry for any computer that has to have these posted software programs on them just to keep their computer running right. They are wonderful machines and should be used for more than just tuning themselves up so-to-speak. AV for instance hogs the resources, so I forego putting any of that stuff (or even needing it) on my computers.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
liafailrock said:
A lot of this software I would not use (nor would it work) since my desktop computers and laptop here don't even have a registry file; they also run fast. They never need a "tune-up"; something I'm not even experiencing the last few years.

My iphone (my only Apple device-- my computers are not Apple) has astronomical/weather related software on it, as does all my computers. I feel sorry for any computer that has to have these posted software programs on them just to keep their computer running right. They are wonderful machines and should be used for more than just tuning themselves up so-to-speak. AV for instance hogs the resources, so I forego putting any of that stuff (or even needing it) on my computers.

I'm going to guess you use Linux, and they in essence DO have registry files, but in simple asci/text files. Having use Linux in the distant past, around 2000, I didn't like it as you had to KNOW then Linux system intimately, even with the limited GUI's available.
I'm sure it is more robust now, but I'm very happy with Windows and Android to want to switch.

AV software used to hog resources, but MS Office did more than those programs. Windows 10 is much faster and efficient, even on my 5 year old system.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
I'm going to guess you use Linux, and they in essence DO have registry files, but in simple asci/text files. Having use Linux in the distant past, around 2000, I didn't like it as you had to KNOW then Linux system intimately, even with the limited GUI's available.
I'm sure it is more robust now, but I'm very happy with Windows and Android to want to switch.

AV software used to hog resources, but MS Office did more than those programs. Windows 10 is much faster and efficient, even on my 5 year old system.
Yes, that's correct. I use Linux Ubuntu on this laptop and the one desktop. What I meant is there's no *single* registry file to "tune" but as you say text files that configure each program.

My other desktop, all solid state, runs Android, but that's in effect what I call commercialized Linux. My tablets are also Android. It's nice to "compute" without walking on eggshells wondering what can be picked up on malicious sites. That's mostly a Microsoft problem, and one that I could no longer tolerate for years now. Bless you if you can tolerate Microsoft. One has to have the patience of a saint to do so.

T

TravisT

StanJ said:
Sure, please email it to me. I don't know why it disappears all the time but I'm going to assume it's the same reason that the clock and date format always change in the system tray as well...Microsoft updates!

Thanks
Stan I have attached both .reg files.

One to show the icon always and the other one to hide it just in case you disable or uninstall the program.

Attachments

• defender.zip
    523 bytes · Views: 2

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
liafailrock said:
My other desktop, all solid state, runs Android, but that's in effect what I call commercialized Linux. My tablets are also Android. It's nice to "compute" without walking on eggshells wondering what can be picked up on malicious sites. That's mostly a Microsoft problem, and one that I could no longer tolerate for years now. Bless you if you can tolerate Microsoft. One has to have the patience of a saint to do so.
I do like Android, but it does have vulnerabilities, just not major ones. I started using Windows in 94, so I've learned to use it properly. along with email. I was a very early follower of Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte, and learned how to avoid the many pitfalls of users who just powered on and ran with their O/S, with no real knowledge. IMO, better the devil you know than one you don't, which is why I stick with MS. At this point in my life, 62, I have no desire to learn anything new.
Trust me, I am NO saint. I just learned to understand the rational behind Windows, which is still pretty much MSDOS on a very complex GUI.

T

TravisT

I've tried Linux and Google Chrome O/S.

However, I still like Windows the best by far. Sure there are more viruses and spyware, but that is because a lot more people use Windows compared to the others out there.

Started off on DOS well before Windows was even out. I thought that when DOS 5 came out that it was an amazing piece of software at the time. Now look at where we are at.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The difference between Android and Chrome? One is native (Android) and the other is web based(Chrome)
Native apps work quicker than web based apps and are more controllable. I basically think Google has started a civil war and they really don't know who will win, but they do know BOTH can't. It's a weird diametric, because they keep pushing both.

I see BB just released an Android phone?

T

TravisT

StanJ said:
I use majicJack for my home phone and their Android app allows me to call from my tablet to anywhere in North America...rather kewl!
Yep - I have two mj's but use Nettalk for my home phone.

T

TravisT

StanJ said:
Never heard of it...how does it compare? I find MJ nickels and dimes me to death.

It works better in my opinion. Calls are clear and free all over the US if you live in the US. It costs around $50 per year for a home phone, but well worth it my opinion. They have some deals going on right now too!

http://www.nettalk.com/

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
Hi,
A few from me.

I usually download large files which take long time, using Microsoft Download Manager.
Today I came across Sticky Notes on Win 10. This is a small and good Reminder tool.
I use CCleaner for cleaning registry.

It would be nice to know more from brethren here.

--------------------------
Prashanth

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
prashanthd said:
Hi,
A few from me.

I usually download large files which take long time, using Microsoft Download Manager.
Today I came across Sticky Notes on Win 10. This is a small and good Reminder tool.
I use CCleaner for cleaning registry.

It would be nice to know more from brethren here.

--------------------------
Prashanth
Yes, this has been on windows for a few iterations now. The problem is, they can be easily deleted if you hit the X. No confirmation dialog.
I don't trust ANY registry cleaners. The need is sold to us by those that invent them.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Administrator said:
I've tried Linux and Google Chrome O/S.

However, I still like Windows the best by far. Sure there are more viruses and spyware, but that is because a lot more people use Windows compared to the others out there.

Started off on DOS well before Windows was even out. I thought that when DOS 5 came out that it was an amazing piece of software at the time. Now look at where we are at.
Actually, the idea that MS gets more viruses and spyware because it is used more is a 2-decade old misconception. Back then they predicted that when more and more people use Apple and Linux based operating systems, that they'd be plagued with just as many viruses. It never came to pass. And yes, more people do use those operating systems than Microsoft now, which MS is now in the minority. Keep in mind that computers are more than desktops (mostly corporate world uses those now) and notebooks which Microsoft dominates the desktop, and to a lesser degree the notebook. But everything else out there, from certain notebooks, to tablets and smart phones, etc which are what most people now use, are dominated by iOS and Android (a form of Linux). The presence of these newer "computers" relatively malware free shows that viruses only plague MS. What little malware there is on say, Android, is almost always related to Trojans, which the operator unwittingly downloaded under the guise of another program. No need to have malware protection --- the solution, simply removing the offending software is enough, that is if it did not steal some sensitive info until you learn about it. That's the bad part.

However, only Microsoft gets drive-by viruses. By that I mean with NO operator intervention (to me that's a true virus, not something you downloaded because of stupidity). You just go on an infected site, read an infected email, make a typo, even turning off your machine (LOL) and somehow you have a virus without you even trying to get one. Only happens on Microsoft. Doesn't happen like that on iOS, Android, Linux, Google Chrome etc because the whole OS platform uses a different philosophy which I won't specify the details here.

If you like Microsoft, I say God bless you. I don't have the patience of a saint with it's constant malware, slow-ups, need for "registry cleans", defrags, etc which the other operating systems don't need. I "had it" with Microsoft a few years back. Went cold turkey without them, never looked back, and I was not sorry. Never been happier with my computers -- beforehand it was a nightmare.... constantly day in and day out every hour, minute and seconds of a day.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
liafailrock said:
Actually, the idea that MS gets more viruses and spyware because it is used more is a 2-decade old misconception. Back then they predicted that when more and more people use Apple and Linux based operating systems, that they'd be plagued with just as many viruses. It never came to pass. And yes, more people do use those operating systems than Microsoft now, which MS is now in the minority. Keep in mind that computers are more than desktops (mostly corporate world uses those now) and notebooks which Microsoft dominates the desktop, and to a lesser degree the notebook. But everything else out there, from certain notebooks, to tablets and smart phones, etc which are what most people now use, are dominated by iOS and Android (a form of Linux). The presence of these newer "computers" relatively malware free shows that viruses only plague MS. What little malware there is on say, Android, is almost always related to Trojans, which the operator unwittingly downloaded under the guise of another program. No need to have malware protection --- the solution, simply removing the offending software is enough, that is if it did not steal some sensitive info until you learn about it. That's the bad part.

However, only Microsoft gets drive-by viruses. By that I mean with NO operator intervention (to me that's a true virus, not something you downloaded because of stupidity). You just go on an infected site, read an infected email, make a typo, even turning off your machine (LOL) and somehow you have a virus without you even trying to get one. Only happens on Microsoft. Doesn't happen like that on iOS, Android, Linux, Google Chrome etc because the whole OS platform uses a different philosophy which I won't specify the details here.

If you like Microsoft, I say God bless you. I don't have the patience of a saint with it's constant malware, slow-ups, need for "registry cleans", defrags, etc which the other operating systems don't need. I "had it" with Microsoft a few years back. Went cold turkey without them, never looked back, and I was not sorry. Never been happier with my computers -- beforehand it was a nightmare.... constantly day in and day out every hour, minute and seconds of a day.
Actually, the most prevalent OS is Android now, but we were talking about personal computers and laptops, which Windows still leads by far. In fact they make up 95% of that market and Linux, Chrome and MacOS make up 5% together. This of course is based on LEGAL sales, but nobody knows what those computers are converted to, if indeed they are.

There has been no need to do registry cleans or defrags for the last 4 Windows OS's, that was just marketing. I've never had a problem with viruses because I maintain a "garbage in garbage out" mentality and don't let anything into my pc that I don't know about.