Total Solar Eclipse August 21

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There ought to be a "current events" section that may be biblically related or just general news and science that people can post in, but I posted here thinking this was the closest. As many of you probably know, there's going to be a total solar eclipse crossing the USA on August 21. I won't at this juncture attached a supposed meaning, but just for everyone's info.

The first thing I noticed is that across the USA at least this thing travels in essentially a straight line. Of course a straight line on earth is a great circle arc, but it's the same path a projectile, sound, or a light beam would take. We start in the Northwest USA in the Portland Oregon area and it travels almost due east which is the direction to Charleston South Carolina from Portland on the opposite end of the country. If we were to face due east from Portland and go about 1/4 of the way around the world, we'd end up on the equator actually closer to Brazil than the continent of Africa in the Atlantic Ocean. Nevertheless, the eclipse ends closer to Africa once it passes the USA, which is a somewhat Northeast bearing (direction) from Portland. Why? The moon is on the ascending node which means it's not only moving generally eastward, but a tad northward as the alignment with the sun fads, thus moving the path north of the east-west line from Portland. Here's the map link:

National Eclipse - August 21, 2017

Reactions: Sword

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There ought to be a "current events" section that may be biblically related or just general news and science that people can post in, but I posted here thinking this was the closest. As many of you probably know, there's going to be a total solar eclipse crossing the USA on August 21. I won't at this juncture attached a supposed meaning, but just for everyone's info.

The first thing I noticed is that across the USA at least this thing travels in essentially a straight line. Of course a straight line on earth is a great circle arc, but it's the same path a projectile, sound, or a light beam would take. We start in the Northwest USA in the Portland Oregon area and it travels almost due east which is the direction to Charleston South Carolina from Portland on the opposite end of the country. If we were to face due east from Portland and go about 1/4 of the way around the world, we'd end up on the equator actually closer to Brazil than the continent of Africa in the Atlantic Ocean. Nevertheless, the eclipse ends closer to Africa once it passes the USA, which is a somewhat Northeast bearing (direction) from Portland. Why? The moon is on the ascending node which means it's not only moving generally eastward, but a tad northward as the alignment with the sun fads, thus moving the path north of the east-west line from Portland. Here's the map link:

National Eclipse - August 21, 2017

Mkay, cool story.

Reactions: pia