Translating Bible Names

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"...He Will Save, but this name is the Greek transliteration of a variant of the name Joshua. Again the name fits the person, but a venerative reference to the successor of Moses is readily noticed.

How a legendary name was found suitable for venerative reapplication isn't at all clear. The names of the beloved kings David and Solomon were never repeated in the Biblical records, yet there are four men named Saul mentioned in addition to the loser king Saul. There are eleven men named Joel mentioned in the Bible, nine named Jeremiah, seven named Isaiah, three named Daniel, two named Ezekiel, but only one named Job, one named Jonah and one named Eli." (add Abraham/Abram, he should be in there)
Translating Biblical names

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Interesting..never knew any of that! :)

More..?

Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Interesting..never knew any of that! :)

More..?
smiling-monkey-faces-gbrhxwtt-e1392573968105.jpg
ya this guy is a font. lots more. really i put this here for the links :)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Your opening post is much like the things that my hubby reads out to me when I am reading a gripping novel.. Then he gets all miffed that I don't respond. :D
hmm, it's like you have to literally remove yourself from one world and travel to another to be able to shift focus like that huh; his perfectly clear words are like nonsense, bc you lack the frame to hang them in yet, what he has spent the last few umpty-ump minutes building mentally for himself? this is a deep secret, that i'm not any good at yet, but ya if you can get adept at briefly establishing a frame for ppl first, your words clarify, you are no longer speaking in tongues

imo

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
"The moon lights up from the light of the sun in the same way that our senses can only detect what our heart says there is. One's personal world-forming conviction in its broadest sense — including scientific certainties, skills, social norms, language; all you know — constitutes the sun of one's world view. That explains why the emergence of Jesus' star was such as big deal (MATTHEW 2:2), since in him "are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" (COLOSSIANS 2:3).

But it also means that the phenomenon that psychology calls Theory of Mind equals a kind of night vision, when one's personal sun has temporarily sunk below the horizon and the stars (other people's suns) become visible. This Theory of Mind, this calm awareness that other people have other knowledge in their brains and thus have other opinions, tastes, concerns and motivations, is crucial to human psychology and all properly functioning societies.

This psychological phenomenon is absolutely fundamental and is therefore discussed at every key point in the Bible: at the creation: Genesis 1:14; at the institution of the Covenant as well as international trade (Genesis 15:5; see our article on Abraham for more on this); in general reflection upon a perfect society (Daniel 12:3); during the restoration of Jerusalem (Nehemiah 4:21), which clearly precurses the formation of the New Jerusalem as envisioned by John the Revelator, who saw the New Jerusalem as a city with no need for the sun and moon (REVELATION 21:23).

Our noun νυξ (nux) is used 65 times in the New Testament, SEE FULL CONCORDANCE, and from it derive:..."
Theory of Mind: the night vision that conquered death

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
"Jacob" meaning:
BDB Theological Dictionary and NOBSE Study Bible Name List both read Supplanter. BDB adds Heel, Overreach, One Closely Following. Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names reads He Will Supplant, A Heeler, One Who Trips Up or Takes Hold By The Heel.

Besides in Genesis 27:36, he word יעקב occurs twice as regular word in the text: in Job 37:4 it's used in the sense of 'he holds back [thunderings]' and in Jeremiah 9:4 as meaning 'deal craftily' (NAS) or 'will supplant' (KJV).
http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Jacob.html#.W0DQ59JKiUk

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
??????? That sounds wild.
oh, you've seen some of them i'm sure. The ones pointing out amazingly coincidental acronyms made from...i forget what exactly, the first letter of each sentence in Genesis or something, those are kind of interesting too. I'll think of some keywords and post a link if i can. But the genealogy ones go more like "hard work begets plenty, which begets ease, which begets privilege, which begets pride, which begets downfall" stuff like that.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Everything God speaks in the bible is meaningful.
It has the obvious and then there is the hidden which must be searched out.

Here is just TWO Minutes to the second...so very short.
The sentence in the meaning of names from Adam to Noah... every persons name carried a prophetic message.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The sentence in the meaning of names from Adam to Noah... every persons name carried a prophetic message.

WOE...that was awesome! Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: Helen

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Too bad it can't be done without adding extra words and having to use English. Kind of catchy, though.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your opening post is much like the things that my hubby reads out to me when I am reading a gripping novel.. Then he gets all miffed that I don't respond. :D

Just turn and Grin like Bbyrds last picture,LOL

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That was Great, have heard that the sign above Jesus's head when he was crucified , Had a literal meaning, a sentence that went something like-- the nail hand of God, do not remember the whole sentence, it was not by names but by Hebrew letters, for their letters also have meanings!

Reactions: Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Too bad it can't be done without adding extra words and having to use English. Kind of catchy, though.

Yes very true...but there is also a video showing the 'bad line' from Adam..and it's all there too!! Quite amazing...and obviously not by accident but by divine hand.
But the video is longer ..and because I don't like watching video's when on a Site ......I only ever post VERY SHORT ones no longer than 10 mins if possible.

Many of us don't even follow links, let alone video's. ( well I don't! Ha!)

Reactions: Acolyte and Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That was Great, have heard that the sign above Jesus's head when he was crucified , Had a literal meaning, a sentence that went something like-- the nail hand of God, do not remember the whole sentence, it was not by names but by Hebrew letters, for their letters also have meanings!

Agree 13 is the number of sin. And I believe the words "Jesus Christ the king of the Jews" that Pilot put up in Greek numerology is 13x13x13 = the fullness of sin.

He took it ALL!! It was nailed to the cross with Him. ✟