Trauma RN, 9 years. Ask Me Anything? I'll Give You The Truth!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have 28 years in the Health Field. I started as a Laboratory Technologist. I have no tattoos because I'm scared of needles! lol. At 22 years of age, I stuck a 16 gauge needle in my first patient as I was working at a blood donation unit for the US Army. My patient passed out, I almost did to! :). It's always emotionally traumatic getting a needle stuck in an extremity. Since then, I made it my goal to always, with God's love, make patient's feel unafraid. They trust me and it is unbelievable how many patients request me personally. I take pride in my sensitivity and love that I give each and every patient I have. They are truly thankful.

It is beyond my scope of practice to give medical advice on this forum, but if there is anything you are curious about, ask me. I can tell you what it's like to watch a young person talking to me one minute and dead the next. I can tell you what it's like to be doing chest compressions and feeling bones crack under my hands. I can also tell you what it's like to be kissed and hugged after delivering a mother's baby. I can tell you what it's like after saving someones life. I can tell you about those patients and family members that curse me out and how I handled it. With the love of Jesus of course. I can tell you about those patients that were dying, screaming and cursing.....I had a strong sense they were on their way to Hell, but I cannot judge. I can also tell you about those patients that were at such peace as they took their last breath with a smile on their face, because they knew the one waiting for them had piercings in all 4 extremities and a sharp piercing in his side. He was sitting on the throne as they passed from this life to the next. God Bless You All!

ED Nurse Terminology: GSW's (Gun Shot Wound), RSI Kit (Rapid Sequence Intubation-Tube down your throat), Adenosine (Flatline You, SVT), Levophed (Better to Leave Them Dead In Many Cases), To DNR or NOT (Suffer or Pass On To The Next Life Without Suffering)

Last edited:

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you have anything to contribute to this thread?
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

I actually have this a lot!! I differintiate it from a Heart Attack by noting the pain to be superficial as opposed to deep, dispersed pain, but not always true (everyone is different). I also notice it is usually localized....I can put my finger on it. I'm one of those stiff guys lol, my joints everywhere crack and pop all the time. This also goes for the joints in-between my ribs and sternum! The more I stretch and try to stay loose, the less pain I have. :)

By the way, this is a tricky one. You can have irritation where your ribs attach to your spinal column in your back. Main nerves come off your spinal column and circle all the way around to your chest area. Guess what? This can also give you chest pain. This is what is called "radiating pain." Crazy huh? Difficult for Doctors to diagnose. Again, I stretch my back or even go for a jog....or swim if its summer time. Usually loosens everything up, or either I drop dead and go to be with Jesus. I'm still here so I guess it works, haha. This is just me though. I refuse to live in fear of anything. :) Praise the Lord!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I actually have this a lot!! I differintiate it from a Heart Attack by noting the pain to be superficial as opposed to deep, dispersed pain, but not always true (everyone is different). I also notice it is usually localized....I can put my finger on it. I'm one of those stiff guys lol, my joints everywhere crack and pop all the time. This also goes for the joints in-between my ribs and sternum! The more I stretch and try to stay loose, the less pain I have. :)

By the way, this is a tricky one. You can have irritation where your ribs attach to your spinal column in your back. Main nerves come off your spinal column and circle all the way around to your chest area. Guess what? This can also give you chest pain. This is what is called "radiating pain." Crazy huh? Difficult for Doctors to diagnose. Again, I stretch my back or even go for a jog....or swim if its summer time. Usually loosens everything up, or either I drop dead and go to be with Jesus. I'm still here so I guess it works, haha. This is just me though. I refuse to live in fear of anything. :) Praise the Lord!!!!
I believe you're talking about costochondritis or Tietze Syndrome? Thoracic Outlet Syndrome is different.

I do benefit from some stretches and as I'm able, chiropractic care. In my case, there are other contributing factors that make recovery difficult. One thing I find helpful is sleeping at an incline on my back with my arms up so that it stretches my rib cage.

Reactions: jshiii

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe you're talking about costochondritis or Tietze Syndrome? Thoracic Outlet Syndrome is different.

I do benefit from some stretches and as I'm able, chiropractic care. In my case, there are other contributing factors that make recovery difficult. One thing I find helpful is sleeping at an incline on my back with my arms up so that it stretches my rib cage.

You are correct. I will have to do some research on Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, as I think it's a combo of many possible issues. I will get back with you soon.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are correct. I will have to do some research on Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, as I think it's a combo of many possible issues. I will get back with you soon.
Costochondritis or Tietze Syndrome can progress to Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, so they can occur simultaneously, but are still different conditions with different symptoms. I have a combination, which are a result of trauma.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I took adult/infant cpr for my CDA (child development credential)...I had a hard time during the training video, but did the hands on part well. I would be scared if I ever had to do it for one of the kids or anyone else though. I am glad I have this training. I am sure I could if I ever needed to. Just scarey thought.

Reactions: jshiii

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I am no longer a Trauma RN. I have a new job as a PICC line Nurse, Praise The Lord! All I do is go around the Hospital and place central lines. Love it! Finally. I'll explain more about PICC lines soon, but it was my true calling!!!!! :)

Or if you really want to know now what I do....uhhhh, Im not a SHE, but a HE! ignore the SHE in the video lol hahah

Last edited: